• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Steve Jobs has died

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
This, right during a period of time in which I am doing a factory restore of my iPod, which has a cracked screen and a nonresponsive touchscreen.

Fucking love that iPod.

<3 RIP

Smelge

Hey, Assbutt
I just got an advertisement in my email telling me to buy a iPhone 4s. Coincidence?

Ok, that is actually pretty fucking weird. I did as well. And I've never signed up to any Apple newsletters or mailing lists. I was tempted by one of the ipod nano things, but I won't buy from a company that sends me unwanted emails.

FF_CCSa1F

Hippie
While it is sad that anybody dies at such a, perhaps not young, but neither old age, I can't say that I feel much more than that. He helped bring many good things into the world of personal computing, but he advocated or forced an equal number of bad ones as well.

Fay V

Lost to this world
In this case, maybe, but they do seem to be able to publish one pretty rapidly after the event. I suspect they keep one handy for a lot of current personalities, and just update them from time to time.

I'd like to point out that it's not been revealed to be cancer yet. It seems the most likely cause, but it could of been anything. He's had liver transplants, so that could have failed, it could have been a simple heart attack even.

Yeah, it's sad that someone has died, but don't automatically assume that it was cancer what done it.

Fine, I retract the cancer statement, but I still insist people be civil. A man has died and I don't want to see crass jokes about that.

T

Tycho

Think I just overheard someone yelling he was shot.

EDIT: nvm, someone just has a bad sense of humor

Alstor

And twice as shiny
Think I just overheard someone yelling he was shot.

EDIT: nvm, someone just has a bad sense of humor
Yeah, unlikely.

Still, he was a genius that (and I may be exaggerating) advanced consumer and professional technology by ten years. He was our Thomas Edison.

Rest in peace.

Kangamutt

Shame to see such a major pioneer in technology go so early to such a terrible fate. Granted I was never a big fan of the pretentiosness in the later years, but it's damn hard to deny the impact he's made in this world, and I doubt it'll be anytime soon when we see another person like him.

See, this is how good the new iPhone 4S is. It literally contains the soul of Jobs.

So much for having the best virus protection.

You're terrible for saying those things. :V tenfold on me for laughing.

Term_the_Schmuck

Most Interesting Man on FAF
Actually, on a more serious note, it's kind of creepy how news agencies have obituaries ready to go, so they can put them up minutes after the person pegs it. BBC have theirs up at almost the same time as the breaking news article about it.

Dana Carvey's impression of Tom Brokaw basically showed how they used to do those.

[yt]SkhwiuRbOEE[/yt]

But in any case, a lot of new agencies already have things ready to play in case a president/celebrity/other famous person dies. One of my friends worked at MSNBC as an executive producer and had started to make a feature for Ronald Reagan a little while before he died. Had it play the next day.

Smelge

Hey, Assbutt
Yeah, unlikely.

Still, he was a genius that (and I may be exaggerating) advanced consumer and professional technology by ten years. He was our Thomas Edison.

Rest in peace.

Gonna argue this one. The majority of the stuff Apple does and has done is a rehash of past or current technology. Where he excelled was the marketing and promotion of his stuff. If anything, he was the ultimate showman. Able to get people to buy any number of items that are technically obsolete, but packed into a shiny white package. Maybe not showman. Snake-oil salesman.

But you have to respect him for that.

Kihari

I just heard of this a little while ago and I've already seen far too many articles worshiping him as the super-genius who single-handedly put personal computers in people's homes; some of them are downright painful to read.

That being said, it sucks that he had to go out the way he did.

Fay V

Lost to this world
Gonna argue this one. The majority of the stuff Apple does and has done is a rehash of past or current technology. Where he excelled was the marketing and promotion of his stuff. If anything, he was the ultimate showman. Able to get people to buy any number of items that are technically obsolete, but packed into a shiny white package. Maybe not showman. Snake-oil salesman.

To me it always seemed like a little of column A and a little of column B. He was an excellent showman and the power behind his consumers did push technology ahead. People became more interested in technology when it was put in a new form for them. The drive of other companies to compete was something that pushed tech forward. While he may not have been the technological genius godsend that some might want to paint him as, he was certainly a contributor to the environment. I disagreed with a lot of what he did, I'm not a huge apple tech fan, but I certainly think he made a positive impact on technology, and it really is a pity he died before his time.

Alstor

And twice as shiny

To be honest, you're right. But he did help give Microsoft and Google a hell of a ride in the competition.

Smart_Cookie

I baked y'all an apple pie!
He'd probably have lived longer, especially with his money, but he apparently was into alternative medicine- tried to treat his cancer with a special holistic diet and ended up paying with his life. =/ Ah well, such is the cost of alternative medicine, like this or homeopathy or chiropractic.

Rotsala

homosexual agenda
Hippies killed Steve Jobs never 4get

Cocobanana

He'd probably have lived longer, especially with his money, but he apparently was into alternative medicine- tried to treat his cancer with a special holistic diet and ended up paying with his life. =/ Ah well, such is the cost of alternative medicine, like this or homeopathy or chiropractic.

This is how he started at first, but quickly went to traditional treatment when stuff wasn't working, and then he still went on to survive longer than the expectancy for someone with Pancreatic cancer, which apparently only has a 20 percent 'survive a few years with it' rate.

Smart_Cookie

This is how he started at first, but quickly went to traditional treatment when stuff wasn't working, and then he still went on to survive longer than the expectancy for someone with Pancreatic cancer, which apparently only has a 20 percent 'survive a few years with it' rate.

Yeah, I know it was an old relapse and such, but not recieving treatment early also contributes to the various complications/chance of the cancer returning. :V Just saying he would have done better had he used real medicine in the first place.

Buccura

I go by Bucky Seifert now
I'm a PC. And I am very much saddened by this. He was very much visionary and daring, making the bold move of making Computers for the regular person at a time when the idea was laughed at, and it's because of this that technology is what it is today.

I don't act like I know what happens when you die, but whatever it may be, may he be at peace.

Neuron

I agree that he should've also been going to see a doctor for chemotherapy, but diet can help a lot in the matter of chemotherapy so it wasn't all stupid. There are doctors that practice real medicine that have diet plans as well as chemotherapy plans for their cancer patients and I've been reading that it's been helping a lot used in combination.

CannotWait

It's really a shame to lose such a brilliant mind as Steve Jobs. I'm not impacted personally enough to just go around saying RIP, but I kind of want to put something commemorative to combat all these douchebags on Facebook posting iGrave and "I guess Microsoft wins now" jokes. I'll let it be though; could be a coping mechanism.

Last edited:

Kyrodo

Chaos
Also a PC user. Outdated hardware that was more expensive than a PC and you couldn't upgrade yourself without "breaking" it was not my cup of tea. In any case, it's a shame that he's gone.

Smart_Cookie

I agree that he should've also been going to see a doctor for chemotherapy, but diet can help a lot in the matter of chemotherapy so it wasn't all stupid. There are doctors that practice real medicine that have diet plans as well as chemotherapy plans for their cancer patients and I've been reading that it's been helping a lot used in combination.

Proper nutrition goes a long way in this sort of thing, yes. But a vitalist or chi-balancing diet will not help you, especially if you do it instead of getting actual treatment.