• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Steve Jobs has died

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
And I didn't here it in the news. I heard it on Facebook. Anyone find it weird he quit Apple just a few weeks before he died?

L

LizardKing

And I didn't here it in the news. I heard it on Facebook. Anyone find it weird he quit Apple just a few weeks before he died?

Wow that is weird. It's almost like he knew he was going to die or something. :V

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
i have never been an apple fan myself but this really is a shame. he was a great visionary who always knew what the masses wanted. otherwise apple wouldnt have been able to release so many hit products!

VoidBat

I'm not much of a Apple enthusiast, but nevertheless, it's always a tragedy when someone succumbs to cancer.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
Um... try reading my earlier post.

Yeah, Apple's done some underhanded stuff in recent years, and they've been burned for it. But IMO, that pales in comparison that they helped popularize the concept of an easy to use computer in every home.

Name one corporation that doesn't have skeletons in their closet from irate customers who got screwed by their system, underhanded things they've done, or scary political views held by people with money who lobby to certain causes.

I'm waiting.

(You lose if you say Google)

Mayfurr

Mostly Harmless
So you're saying that the overpriced and incredibly expensive Apple stuff that is nowhere near as simple to use as Windows helped popularise easy to use computers in every home. I assume by "every home" you mean the ones with a large disposable income and a huge desire to be pretentious?

Only other thing I can think about is the really old Apples. But even then, they were aimed at a business market, not personal.

Someone has no idea about history by the sound of it - you do realise that personal home computers were around before Windows?

Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak brought out the Apple I and Apple II computers to market in a world where computers were either something the size of a room that only large organisations could afford and justify, or were something you built yourself from the chips upwards. And not forgetting that a major market for Apple computers in the pre-Windows days was education - hell, even my old school in the eighties had an Apple II+ that I spent many happy hours programming and stuff. In fact, the Apple II series was so popular that many fruit-named clones of the thing sprung up all over the place...

Let's also remember that it was the Apple Mac that was the first popular computer that came out with a Windows-type interface - it was several years before PCs graduated from MS-DOS to the early Windows versions. In fact, I recall the joke that using a Mac was like riding a bicycle with training wheels you couldn't remove!

Kids these days... you tell them you could run a graphical operating system on a Commodore 64 with 64K of memory and a 170K disk-drive, and they won't believe you <sigh>
/oldcodger

S

Sar

Even Bill Gates exprsses his own sadness to Steve's passing. He described their relationship as colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half their lives.

RIP the iGod.

Nineteen-TwentySeven

Four Eyes; Zero Soul
I've been a Mac user since basically day 1. First computer I ever dicked around on: Macintosh Classic running System 7. First computer I actually ever used: Powerbook G3 running 9.2. Windows didn't even exist in my house until 2005 when I went to a camp on how to build one.

IBM put a computer on every desk, Apple put one in every dorm, living room, and home office. If it weren't for him, computers might still be relegated to 486DXs on monochrome screens in offices.

RIP Steve.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
Wait, what?

Jobs and Apple didn't so much invent things, but they did refine them, make them better, and bring them to the masses. An easy-to-use computer with a GUI was no longer a closet-sized behemoth - you could pick it up from the store and carry it home for not too high a premium. That's their legacy. Apple raising the bar pushed others to build on their work and it pushed the state of consumer technology forward. We always stand on the shoulders of those who came before us.

Whether you like/use Apple products or not, Steve Jobs is an icon of our culture and we would not be using the same technology today without him.

Last edited:

Neuron

Proper nutrition goes a long way in this sort of thing, yes. But a vitalist or chi-balancing diet will not help you, especially if you do it instead of getting actual treatment.
My mom and I have been doing a lot of research about this and yeah, it's not about "chi-balancing" or something silly like that, actually a lot of people with cancer do not have peptides in their liver that cause the apoptosis to be programmed in cells. A diet that can help to increase those peptides thus turning the cancer cells essentially "off" might work much better than chemotherapy does at the moment, but they are working on perfecting it. There are also diets for this before you develop cancer but as always you need to consult your doctor first to figure out exactly what foods and what nutritional values you're looking for to get those peptides.

I am suspecting Steve Jobs consulted an expensive and experienced doctor that knew a lot about these diets and that contributed to his unexpected survival for so long. Also, interestingly, Steve Jobs did know what I was talking about, liver transplants and all.

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
Oh come the fuck on, WBC is planning on protesting Steve Jobs' funeral >: (

Smart_Cookie

I baked y'all an apple pie!

They twittered their plans from an iphone. :3c

My mom and I have been doing a lot of research about this and yeah, it's not about "chi-balancing" or something silly like that, actually a lot of people with cancer do not have peptides in their liver that cause the apoptosis to be programmed in cells.

... I'll respectfully disagree but since this is a funerary thread I won't argue the point.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART

Of course; they'll spin up a reason to protest the funeral of anyone well-known or -liked enough. Then someone will punch one of them or do them some kind of harm and it's lawsuit time - aka their source of income.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
An easy-to-use computer with a GUI was no longer a closet-sized behemoth - you could pick it up from the store and carry it home for not too high a premium. That's their legacy. Apple raising the bar pushed others to build on their work and it pushed the state of consumer technology forward.

It's a bit of an exaggeration to describe non-Apple workstations with a GUI as the size of a closet. Work was underway by companies such as Xerox, Microsoft, Digital Research, and Hi-Toro (later Amiga, then Commodore-Amiga) to GUIfy home and personal computer desktops. What Jobs did was make Apple first with something pretty darn good and well thought out, and he sold what Apple made with even greater brilliance. And he didn't give up or relent when Apple fired him.

Steve Jobs was one of the pioneers of computing whose influence and innovations changed the world for the better.

Nineteen-TwentySeven

Four Eyes; Zero Soul
PC back then were still about the size of PCs now, maybe a little bigger. However, they required extensive practice to use (or a manual) and software that was created for them was primarily productivity software for office use. Not exactly something Junior would be playing around on.

Of course; they'll spin up a reason to protest the funeral of anyone well-known or -liked enough. Then someone will punch one of them or do them some kind of harm and it's lawsuit time - aka their source of income.
In truth, they've had much more than their fair 15 minutes of fame, and I'm just waiting for someone to come out with an M16 and help raise the average IQ of the world a point or two.
*popcorn*

Neuron

... I'll respectfully disagree but since this is a funerary thread I won't argue the point.
Sorry, I'm mostly right. and my mother and I originally found this information about peptides in the liver in a book with citations from numerous medical journals. Think what you want but you're ideas are outdated according to this.

However it turns out I was kinda wrong and a diet while important isn't going to seriously turn it around, it needs to be more direct like a vaccination. Or you know, what he already tried, a liver transplant.

Smart_Cookie

I baked y'all an apple pie!
Sorry, I'm mostly right. and my mother and I originally found this information about peptides in the liver in a book with citations from numerous medical journals. Think what you want but you're ideas are outdated according to this.

However it turns out I was kinda wrong and a diet while important isn't going to seriously turn it around, it needs to be more direct like a vaccination. Or you know, what he already tried, a liver transplant.

I wasn't arguing against the peptides, (also one person isn't exactly a good sample size. :V ), but rather, while a good diet is always good to have, you can't really fight cancer with diet alone once you get it- especially pancreatic cancer, which is basically the nastiest type. But yes.

Neuron

I wasn't arguing against the peptides, (also one person isn't exactly a good sample size. :V ), but rather, while a good diet is always good to have, you can't really fight cancer with diet alone once you get it- especially pancreatic cancer, which is basically the nastiest type. But yes.
It just works way better than just chemotherapy alone. Well part of that probably has to do with a good diet making you feel obviously better.

But anyway, Steve Jobs was the master of innovation and he lived a goddamn fulfilling life for being someone that must've been in loads of chronic pain. I use a zune but I'm not enough of a dumbass to sit there like, "Durr haet steve jobs" because zunes wouldn't even exist without him.