• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

stop rewarding mediocrity

BloodYoshi

so our good friends at EA recently released a game called simply Medal of Honor; a title supposedly intended to rival the known-and-loved Call of Duty franchise

Medal of Honor was pretty much a huge piece of shit, but EA announced that it still received eleven-million pre-orders. They don't care how good the game is. They're going to keep pumping out this shovelware until people say "No" by not buying it anymore.

My guess is that a lot of people who bought this game were folks who didn't care to read reviews and decided to purchase the game based off their own faith that every modern-era FPS has to be good. At least, it would make sense. Anyone who took the time to read a review for MoH probably would've been deterred from buying it.

All I'm saying is: read your reviews, people. Even if you don't agree with reviews sometimes, they can still give you a general idea of how spend-worthy a title is. If that doesn't satisfy you, there are other resources. Ask people, watch videos, read impressions. Rent the game for a little while. Just don't put blind faith in a game simply because it's really well-hyped or advertised.

EDIT: I am facepalming because everyone seems to think the thesis statement of this thread is simply "Read reviews."

It's more like "Be educated about a game before you buy it." Whether or not you use game reviews to achieve that goal is up to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
You'd think people would have gotten tired of the same fucking settings, weapons, and motivations by now.

HEY GUYS WHO WANTS TO PLAY THAT ONE FPS SET IN A MIDDLE EASTERN CITY
OR THE ONE WHERE YOU FIGHT IN WORLD WAR II

SICK

My Mind Is Burning
I bought it thinking it would be good but with only 3 weapons per class. And you don't get a scope with the sniper till you level up.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
Most people don't read reviews for new releases of popular games to make sure they're not buying a crap game, because it's a part of their favorite franchise. How do you think Final Fantasy has lasted as long as it has?

BloodYoshi

I'm confused. I thought I already bought Medal of Honor for my Playstation... Oh.

-crosses MoH off his list of games to get-

silly of them to not differentiate the name

Most people don't read reviews for new releases of popular games to make sure they're not buying a crap game, because it's a part of their favorite franchise. How do you think Final Fantasy has lasted as long as it has?

I know. That's kind of my point. Final Fantasy is actually a perfect example, now that I think of it. If people started paying attention to the quality of the games they're buying, more developers might actually care to make higher quality games.

Of course, there's always going to be that casual crowd that just jumps on whatever carnival game you put in front of them, but that can't really be helped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
The funniest thing about all this is that the games that do do things differently are usually the games that bomb.

BloodYoshi

The funniest thing about all this is that the games that do do things differently are usually the games that bomb.

It's the sad thing, too. A prime example of that was Okami. Fantastic game in nearly every way and highly original (at least as far as setting and presentation was concerned).

But the sales were below average. The developers of Okami; Clover Studio, ending up going out of business too.

NCollieboy

[Æ’cÆ’c] Sexy Fiberbomb
The only game that was mediocre and i enjoyed was the new AvP, despite the fact it failed on all levels, i still somewhat enjoyed the multiplayer

Atona

known-and-loved Call of Duty franchise
Medal of Honor was pretty much a huge piece of shit
Even if you don't agree with reviews sometimes, they can still give you a general idea of how spend-worthy a title is.
Can't tell if you're trolling, if you're a popped-collar bro, or if you're being serious. If you tell me what you think about GameInformer, I'll be able to pinpoint it.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
I know. That's kind of my point. Final Fantasy is actually a perfect example, now that I think of it. If people started paying attention to the quality of the games they're buying, more developers might actually care to make higher quality games.
Too bad the main goal is to make a lot of money

SirRob

People like playing that kind of game. Doesn't matter how good or bad it is. Just like how I like Fire Emblem games despite their terrible reviews.

There's nothing wrong with it, since the players are happy and the game companies are happy.

Last edited:

Bambi

Riley

Watch out for snakes!
I think it's been long enough that it wouldn't be considered politically incorrect anymore, so yeah, I'm behind this.

Well EA did get bashed by almost everyone for actually bothering to call the Taliban the Taliban in MoH. The Nazis would probably end up as 'Ze Opposing Force' and the NVA as just 'The Northerners.'

I personally want some more games that don't just try piggybacking off of already established ones. It's the same deal with MMOs - developers try to beat WoW at its own game and then wonder why they fail. A new idea is needed to make it obvious that it's going to be something different, but publishers are too worried about losing a couple hundred thousand (out of their hundreds of millions) on anything that's not safe.

It's a great time to root for the indie developers, since they have to do things differently to make their name known.

8-bit

Bitch you best be trollan >:[ ( FF13 is bad, I'll give ya that )

Gerjis

You'd think people would have gotten tired of the same fucking settings, weapons, and motivations by now.

I would play the revolutionary war FPS but the accuracy sucks and the 2 minute reload time is a bitch.

Darkhavenz0r

shouldn't be here

So much this.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
Fuck reviews from gaming sites.

A perfect example is Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes.

A game that had graphics like (If not better)Monster Hunter 3/Tri, 16 playable characters, A normal hack n' slash gameplay (like DmC).ect

Game gets released, "Reviews" shit over the game. By calling it a mindless button masher, having crap graphics, Bad camera angle, Shitty plot .ect 5.5

How depressing.....

Runa

here here! So can we all agree that Halo is nothing more than pretty mediocrity with a phenomenal soundtrack and rabid fanbase now?

Riley

Watch out for snakes!
here here! So can we all agree that Halo is nothing more than pretty mediocrity with a phenomenal soundtrack and rabid fanbase now?

I'd personally call it decent-looking mediocrity with a bland soundtrack, but to each their own.

To be fair though, reviews of FF 14 aren't being all that kind. Maybe the same sites will have the balls to be honest about Call of Duty...7? 8? The new one with the terrible cover art.