• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Story Endings---The Good, The Bad, The Sad, The Glad

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord
Just a thread to share your favorite types of story conclusions, whether you're talking about a story you're writing, one you've read, or an ending you just can't figure out how to write.

Personally, my favorite story endings are always the ones that are deserved: not sad endings just for the sake of everything being doom and gloom, or happy endings just to end on a positive note. There's something satisfying about a tragic character finally achieving something that makes them happy, even in their dying breath, or a villain getting what they truly deserve (albeit maybe at some cost to the hero). It makes the conclusion that much more climactic :0

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I generally like closure in my endings or at least a progression from status quo of the beginning of the story, unless illustrating the lack of change is the point of the story, as was often the case with Bertolt Brecht's works.

That said, I always find good twist endings very entertaining.

Wasp Factory by Iain M. Banks is about a murderous sixteen year-old named Frank Cauldhame who was raised as a misogynistic sociopath by a father on an isolated island in North East Scotland.
Frank is actually a girl.

Chuck Palahniuk also knows how to write a good ending.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
I already appreciate an ending that simply *is.*

Life happened and the characters suffered it and moved on. Maybe things are better, maybe they're not. But it wasn't a fairy tale ending or something super cliche.

Yakamaru

Not enough fucking minerals!
I enjoy reading all kinds of stories though I do quite enjoy the ones where they have an open ending.

Vakash_Darkbane

Fan Fiction Writer, Artist
I generally like closure in my endings or at least a progression from status quo of the beginning of the story, unless illustrating the lack of change is the point of the story, as was often the case with Bertolt Brecht's works.

That said, I always find good twist endings very entertaining.

Wasp Factory by Iain M. Banks is about a murderous sixteen year-old named Frank Cauldhame who was raised as a misogynistic sociopath by a father on an isolated island in North East Scotland.
Frank is actually a girl.

Chuck Palahniuk also knows how to write a good ending.
Yes... yes he does.