• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Style interest check - which should I work on?

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey guys, just wondering if there is any interest in the following styles being revived? I'd be reworking them to make them more manageable for me, but also wanted to gauge public interest. Here's a poll, but if you could also leave some feedback I would appreciate it!

Which style interests you most? - Strawpoll.com

Style A:
www.furaffinity.net: In-stream Commission: Suitmaster & Sagittarii by Jansither
www.furaffinity.net: Nekoooo by Jansither
www.furaffinity.net: Isaradia by Jansither
www.furaffinity.net: 116 by Jansither
www.furaffinity.net: Vivi by Jansither

Style B:
www.furaffinity.net: Bri-zy by Jansither
www.furaffinity.net: Alt by Jansither
www.furaffinity.net: Crowfly by Jansither

I'd really appreciate any input. Thank you!

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I am having difficulty telling the difference between styles A and B, and I think they're both quite similar to the style of more recent art in the gallery that you linked to. I suppose you have a decreased emphasis on bold outlines in more recent art.

What are the differences that I should be looking out for?

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am having difficulty telling the difference between styles A and B, and I think they're both quite similar to the style of more recent art in the gallery that you linked to. I suppose you have a decreased emphasis on bold outlines in more recent art.

What are the differences that I should be looking out for?
Maybe I feel there's more difference because I'm the one drawing and know the effort. I was more wondering about the clearer lineart and pencil texture.

Fallowfox

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
www.furaffinity.net: Numb again by Jansither
www.furaffinity.net: Numb again by Jansither

www.furaffinity.net: Those Who Went Missing by Jansither

This is the style that I like most in the gallery. How do these rank with regards to the level of difficulty you had making them?
Those are actually super low effort. I forgot about my sketchy stuff and could definitely start working on that again. I never knew if people really liked sloppier techniques, but I'm starting to feel they do.

Thanks!

Fallowfox

Those are actually super low effort. I forgot about my sketchy stuff and could definitely start working on that again. I never knew if people really liked sloppier techniques, but I'm starting to feel they do.

Thanks!

Well that's convenient!

As it happens I find that art which takes a lot of effort doesn't really receive disproportionately more attention on FA than sketches. It's still worth making and sharing though.

MissNook

I like both styles for different reasons.
Style A seems more soft with softer shadowing and tends to focus on a silhouette and an harmony of color and atmosphere.
Style B seems more crisp with the use of stronger composition in term of focal point of attention, so for me the characters stand out more in this style.

So my guess is that it depends on what you wanna convey too.
With style A you can more easily set an atmosphere and depict a situation.
With style B you can more easily bring the eye to a certain point which can be really useful to tell something.
You could also mix them and maybe you'll find something interesting with this ^^

Oh and I agree with Fallowfox. From other artists experience too, sketchs shouldn't be taken lightly in term of interest, they convey something different (be it artist's journey while making the art, or softness, or that little loose feeling that makes it warmer than linework).
In my opinion, sketchs are a little more near the artist than the result, and that's why people like them that much too.