• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Submission limits

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
Knowing there's going to be a shitload of submissions once the site is back up, why not implement some sort of limit, something like 25 subs per 6 hours and 10 journals per 6 hours for each user?

That totals to 100 subs and 40 journals for a 24 hour period. Feasible?

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Why impose a limit?

nedded

is a goat.
Why impose a limit?

Two quick reasons. One, people might think the massive influx of art would crash some part of the site again, just like the massive influx of money crashed Amazon. (I personally don't think this is likely, but better safe than sorry.)

Second, what makes FA better than deviantART is the exposure. Since there aren't 50 new pieces of artwork submitted every second, it's possible to see everything anyone is submitting. I guess they're worried about not getting their half a minute of fame on the front page.

uncia

Two quick reasons. One, people might think the massive influx of art would crash some part of the site again, just like the massive influx of money crashed Amazon. (I personally don't think this is likely, but better safe than sorry.)
Shouldn't do: if anything, a high fraction of requests for "recent" art might reduce the overall system load relative to the maximum bandwidth as they are more likely to be cached.
(Amazon lagged not "crashed", btw).

Second, what makes FA better than deviantART is the exposure. Since there aren't 50 new pieces of artwork submitted every second, it's possible to see everything anyone is submitting. I guess they're worried about not getting their half a minute of fame on the front page.
That's usually the case for people who decide to upload at peak time rather than wait until things are quieter to get a slightly longer period of front page visibility.

Would personally be more interested to see DDoS and intrusion prevention countermeasure solutions (software or hardware) in place for when the mainsite returns, for obvious reasons. Doesn't need to be $7k, either (per http://www.intruguard.com/products.html ;))

d.

Jonas-Shifu

Satire writer
.......Second, what makes FA better than deviantART is the exposure. Since there aren't 50 new pieces of artwork submitted every second, it's possible to see everything anyone is submitting. I guess they're worried about not getting their half a minute of fame on the front page.

In my experience, if it has a red border around the thumbnail, chances are it will be viewed irrespective of it being found on the front page or not.

Anbessa

you wouldn't be able to make them 'stretch' their uploading anyway, not without creating drama. waiting a little bit makes sense, though.

btw, why a limit of 10 journals per 6 hours? anybody who creates that many entires in his/her journal in that timespan is not likely to have anything worthy to say, so there.

Eevee

Banned
Banned
Amazon "crashed" because it has limits.