• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Submission Ratings??? (New question at end reguarding ratings)

Okay. Either I'm completely confused or people are repetitivly stupid and don't know how to rate thier art.

General - that's easy to grasp. No sex, no genitalia - something you'd be able to show to a kid/teen/your own parents without them being offended/disgusted.

Adult - Now this is where it gets confusing, right? Adult means nudity, showing genitalia, mild to moderate blood, etc right?

Mature - This means sex, sexual nudity, intense violence/vore etc.

So... How come SO MANY PEOPLE keep uploading pictures of a character with thier genitalia just showing, maybe aroused but not actually touching it or doing anything with it - just showing off the goods so to say, and marking it as Mature?

Is that right or is that wrong? That's what I'm asking D: I would like to know if I should submit Trouble Tickets for those that I come across, just so they're marked properly. May not sound like a big deal to some of you but it just irks me.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
RE: Submission Ratings???

I believe arousal makes it adult, at least with certain male anatomy.

There also needs to be a PG 13 rating.

The problem is I don't think there's a filter between mature and adult so I think it's caused apathy among users to even wonder why bother marking it mature if a user can see both, if the setting is enabled to see mature works.

Emerson

FYI I am a SPY.

Adult is, like, tasteful nudity.

Mature is STICK IT IN THE POOPER, and so forth.

Hanazawa

Would Like To Play a Game

whaaat?

I've always thought that "ADULT" (the one with the RED border, right?) is overt sexuality, excessive gore, etc. MATURE (BLUE border) is artistic nudity, slight violence, etc...

you can be "mature" at 16, but (in the US anyway) that doesn't make you an "adult".

(apologies if I'm in any way off my rocker here, I'm on four different medications ATM)

You've got that backwards Hana, Red is Mature, and blue is Adult ^^;

It's just.. confusing @__@;

Hanazawa

I just checked the mainsite and the red-border things said adult and the blue ones said mature :<

Ack,

well , either way I've been noticing *alot* of people making things adult when they should only be 'mature'. :x

I guess what I really want to know is :

If I see something I believe to be marked wrong, should I send a Trouble Ticket?

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay

Unless it's a Adult/Mature rated as a General it's not really going to send the world into an off-axis spin.

Mega Wolf

As if this debate was not enough, I keep seeing people posting pics with anthro sex in them, but marking them as general.

Appers to be happening now more and more.

x.x

iller

Since like 95% of my uploads are one of the last 2... I've been using a more complex litmus:

Mature: Nipples, Gore, Profanity, indicators of Sex(Sheath, CamelToe, furry outline of the Labia, Bare Ass, ouline of an erection in fabric, french kissing, erect nipples, showing Areola under fabric/wetshirt), etc... Basically anything that'd get R-Rating or be called "Softcore".

Adult: Inner flesh of the genitalia, erect Peenr, any kind of sexual contact with genitals or oral-to-nipple, any Fetish that someone could foreseeably masturbate to, Profanities used in a sexually explicit connotation, Hate-Speach or other indicators of an "adult situation". ..stuff like that which would garner an NC-17/XXX rating.

Growly

I personally like to err on the side of caution. Even if it isn't graphic, if it involves a weird fetish, I tend to mark it as Mature, if only so visitors can't see the weird crazy stuff I'm drawin'.

Wolfblade

I think most people have been using it the way Hana and Iller pointed out.

"Mature" (blue border) implies that its above what a kid should be seeing, while "Adult" (red border) implies material of an explicitly adults-only nature, i.e.: Sex.

General, then Mature, then Adult, in that order. General being basically tame, Mature being non-sexual nudity and violence, and anything sexual being Adult.

Look at the submissions again with that in mind, kuro, and they should make more sense. Although clearer descriptions of these classifications should be in the works.

M

missdavies

see...I'm an artist and I generally draw furs in the nude. I always mark these pictures as adult, but I've had several complaints from other artists saying if a nipple or genitals is showing I -must- mark it as mature. Regardless of the nature of the picture, personally I find artistic nudity a beautiful thing. I'll be watching this thread, I'd really like this cleared up.

Touch My Badger

I don't know, but here's my ruebric for what rating I give my submissions.

General - No naughty bits, no sexings.
Adult - Naughty bits maybe, but no sex.
Mature - Naughty bits and/or sex.

Wolfblade

Out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in explaining why "mature" would make you think of something as more adult-oriented than "adult?"

I just find it interesting that so many people in this thread are using General<Adult<Mature, when the majority of people posting to the site (and the intent of the site as far as I can tell) seem to be working with General<Mature<Adult.

Maybe its something to do with country of origin? In the states, things labeled "Adult" are almost always indicating the highest level of 'not-for-kids-ness.' Adult books, Adult toys, Adult videos, almost anything labeled adult means nc-17 to XXX. Is it different in other parts of the world?

Hanazawa

I'm with Wolfblade on this one, with the added comment on the color RED... I know it's not just an American thing; red is pretty much universal for "danger/warning/restricted/etc".

K, so this thread is a couple weeks old but. I need to know something.

An image with a penis showing, NOT aroused, and not dripping with anything - AKA not sexual at all, would that be considered RED or BLUE? I have it up as blue but some people think I should have it as red, and I don't see the point of having it red. It's not sexual. It's just nudity. I went to the Help&Support but aparently no one has gotten around to actually writing anything for submission ratings there :p

Thanks.

So you saw the one? I thought it was appropriate. I'm actually going to go back through my gallery and edit some ratings on some older art (ones with similar nonsexual nudity and not meant to be arousing.) because I was afraid and marked them as red, but it's innapropriate now.

Wolfblade

How's this look? And credit to Hanazawa, greek artwork is a good reference point.

http://www.wikiffinity.net/index.php?title=Submission_Ratings

Anybody have anything they feel should be added?

Hanazawa

Wolfblade said:
How's this look? And credit to Hanazawa, greek artwork is a good reference point.

http://www.wikiffinity.net/index.php?title=Submission_Ratings

Anybody have anything they feel should be added?

I'm not sure about the categorization of "excessive" violence/gore as mature, but I don't really care to even attempt quantifying what is or isn't excessive on that side...