• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Submissions Can Be Deleted En Masse

SageHendrix

I would love to see a process that would allow you to select submissions you wish to delete, and then delete them all at once. I understand if the site has a specific reason that they may not want you to be able to delete your entire account, but a way of mass deleting submissions and journals would help make it easier for artists who wish to make a quiet and clean exit.

Kat

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
I believe the reason mass submission deletion was not enabled has to do with the fact people were getting their accounts hacked and that was one of the easiest ways to mess up an account.

MadPlumber

I believe Arshes Nei has a point there. Plus, I don't think it is in Fur Affinity's top interests to improve the efficiency of a user leaving the site.

I should note that even though a user might "delete" a work from their account, it probably still remains intact on the server.

SageHendrix

Arshes Nei said:
I believe the reason mass submission deletion was not enabled has to do with the fact people were getting their accounts hacked and that was one of the easiest ways to mess up an account.

I figured as much, ARshes. I suppose if there was a way for there to be some sort of "deletion phrase" put in place, that might help. Yes, the hacker will obviously have hacked the password of the account they are inside. However the hacked user's "deletion code" might nt be so obvious if it was something such as asking for the user's first pet or one of those kinds of questions.

I am curious about the other poster saying that maybe FA doesnt want it to be so easy for people to just up and leave. I mean, in my opinion, the last thing I want to do (if I was trying to leave FA) is make a big production over it.

Kat

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
A deletion code isn't a bad idea, it will only be sent to that user's email in order for them to confirm a mass deletion. The hacker wouldn't be able to empty out any galleries.

Rhainor

Rawr.
IIRC, there *is* a 'nuke messages' option that deletes all messages in a given section of the message center, but it doesn't become available until you have a certain number of messages piled up there -- several hundred, I believe.

Eevee

Banned
Banned
A "leaving the Internet forever" button?

Shouldn't we then have a "hi guys what did I miss this past week" button?

Pi

MadPlumber said:
I should note that even though a user might "delete" a work from their account, it probably still remains intact on the server.

because THAT makes sense. "I'm gonna make my delete routine not actually delete something!"

SageHendrix

Eevee said:
A "leaving the Internet forever" button?

Shouldn't we then have a "hi guys what did I miss this past week" button?

Hahah!

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Rhainor said:
IIRC, there *is* a 'nuke messages' option that deletes all messages in a given section of the message center, but it doesn't become available until you have a certain number of messages piled up there -- several hundred, I believe.

Uhh she's not talking about that, but cleaning out a gallery/account. Message center is a different animal.

DarkMeW

From what I recall (which my not be entirely accurate) the nukes were to taxing on the system when they were implemented. So doing something similar to your gallery might pose the same problem.

Unlike DeviantArt FA does not represent it's self as a community and an archive. DeviantArt keeps everything deleted archive unless you write them directly and ask your image files be deleted from the archive. I would imagine deleting an entire gallery of large files at once rather then just marking them as unaccessible to the public, would pose a similar problem to when nukes were first introduced. If FA had a way to mark them as not viewable for a certain length of time before deletion (possibly scheduling them for times that there is less activity on FA) that would allow time to get them back if the account had been hacked, and not repeat the problem with the nukes.

Of course this all depends on if my interpretation of the situation is correct. I only say that because I don't know the inner workings of the system itself and am basing this on earlier information rather then knowing for certain myself.

Firehazard

I can fix it!
I agree about the Hide option. I'd like to be able to remove my older submissions from the gallery without actually pulling them from the site permanently. I know other people have done "spring cleaning" on their galleries only to get requests for some of the items they deleted and have no option but to resubmit them from scratch, making them show up out of order and without putting them back into people's favorites folders or while losing all comments.

DarkMeW

Eevee said:
...why do you want to remove them at all, then?

I believe in some cases it's not the image they wish to say but rather the comments and conversations that the submission had gotten.

muddypaws

Bears rock!
Firehazard said:
I agree about the Hide option. I'd like to be able to remove my older submissions from the gallery without actually pulling them from the site permanently. I know other people have done "spring cleaning" on their galleries only to get requests for some of the items they deleted and have no option but to resubmit them from scratch, making them show up out of order and without putting them back into people's favorites folders or while losing all comments.

You're right Firehazard, thats not a bad idea :)

But, I suppose it all depends on the software. Having programmed myself for school science classes (which was a while ago now) lines of code are only as good as the hardware that can support it. Also, the longer the code, the more bugs that crop up.

And speaking of bugs, have you had any problems up-loading images today?
I have; I get only a blank white page half way through submissions.