• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

suicide

This week end was the Christina Aguilera concert, it was sunday night. I had come down to hang out with my best frined that week end.The concert was pritty good, not exactly in my tasts but my best friend love it more then a person can love something, shes a goddess to him. Any ways after the concert we got on our train to head back outa toronto that night at one in the morning. We made it to Ajax. Then, I noticed a bit of a thump, I thought nothing of it. trains make noise alot, but this thump was no ordinary train noise, some one had comited suicide by jumping infront of the train. Alot of people were very sickend some of the girls even started to cry. It dident effect me or my best best emtionally, but it was styll a VERY strange ocourance, on a night he had byn waiting months for. I wonder what the odds are... Bad luck and death seem to fallow us...

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
RE: death by speedy train

Whatever any one of the passengers felt, the engineer is probably worse off.

There are statistics that show locomotive engineers are more likely to see someone killed over the course of their careers than policemen or soldiers.

---PCJ

fuzzspark

Wow that must have been a very gory sight.

RailRide said:
Whatever any one of the passengers felt, the engineer is probably worse off.

There are statistics that show locomotive engineers are more likely to see someone killed over the course of their careers than policemen or soldiers.

---PCJ

oh yeah the conductor had some on else anounce it over the intercom. I imagin he was quite shooken

fuzzspark said:
Wow that must have been a very gory sight.

they made every one walk up to the front car to get out and wouldent let any body go back I turned to the gye difrecting people away to ask if they were sending busses for us, and down the platfourm I saw a pice of matireal and darkend cement, I was to far to make anything out It wasent the body though...

FuzzlePup said:
I hate those suicidal douches.

eh I suppor it. If some one realy wants to die by all means end it. But lets not hold up every one till 3 in the morning cuz you dont want to live any more.

SachiCoon

Suicide in any sense of the word is NEVER a funny thing, no matter how retarded the reason. Someone's family is really suffering right now.

FuzzlePup

Well it would seem so. But suicide is just messed up. Yeah, you are in charge of your own life, but just because you end your life doesn't mean your not destroying someone elses.

Family and friends are left with the incredible pain...and like with this guy, now some poor guys are going to have to clean up a horrific and disturbing mess, while someones going to have to pay for damages to the train, and delay everyone who are just trying to get home. It's completely selfish and Its I just don't want to feel sympathy for them.

minima

SachiCoon said:
Suicide in any sense of the word is NEVER a funny thing, no matter how retarded the reason. Someone's family is really suffering right now.

In the words of George Carlin:

"It may not be funny, but you can joke about it."

It is a much more productive reaction to find humor and lightness in the horrors of the everyday than to spend time worrying and crying about that which you cannot change.

That said, I guess he caught the train, huh?

FuzzlePup

X3 I guess he started the day out with a bang :3

I make jokes too...Im a joke maker.

minima

You don't even want to know how close I came to being fired the day after the twin towers. I was horrified, but my reaction to everything that really bothers me lies in humor when it can.

"So you know there was this one guy in an office up there in the first tower" getting out of my chair and walking towards the window "and the guy looked out the window and saw this huge plane there coming at them" giving this huge shit-eating grin to my horrified co-workers and jerking a thumb back at the imaginary plane, "and he goes 'Hey guys, looks like my ride's here!' "

Yeah... I seriously nearly got canned for being 'insensitive to the feelings of others' the next day after my boss stopped laughing. My boss was as sick of a bastard as I am. His boss on the other hand got a complaint from another coworker and came down on him.

FuzzlePup said:
Well it would seem so. But suicide is just messed up. Yeah, you are in charge of your own life, but just because you end your life doesn't mean your not destroying someone elses.

Family and friends are left with the incredible pain...and like with this guy, now some poor guys are going to have to clean up a horrific and disturbing mess, while someones going to have to pay for damages to the train, and delay everyone who are just trying to get home. It's completely selfish and Its I just don't want to feel sympathy for them.

death is never kewl, but we all leave a body at on point or another, maybe not pices of body every were, but if some ones depressed enuff to die they usually dont have to many ppl in there life. If you were in thoughs shoes ready to kill yourself, would you really care about whos cleaning your mess?

SachiCoon

minima said:
SachiCoon said:

In the words of George Carlin:

"It may not be funny, but you can joke about it."

It is a much more productive reaction to find humor and lightness in the horrors of the everyday than to spend time worrying and crying about that which you cannot change.

That said, I guess he caught the train, huh?

With some things, yes. I too have a great sense of humor. I'll be the first to laugh when hearing about someone who attempted suicide for the most retarded reason and failed miserably. But when someone is feeling so low about their life and themselves to the point where they genuinly DON'T want to live and go and throw themselves out in front of a train, shattering the lives of those who love them...I don't find that to be funny. There is that fine line between what is funny and what isn't. There is also a difference between worrying and crying about something and having sympathy and respect.

But what I say is never going to make a difference.

minima

Oh, I'm not discounting your opinion. I just think that in general humor is as valid a reaction as anything else to even devastating situations.

I guess mostly I dislike the idea of saying that a humorous reaction is 'never' appropriate to a given action. For some of us, it's the tool we use to distance the thoughts and feelings that might otherwise overwhelm us.

As far as suicide goes, I was the suicide hotline for too many friends growing up. Being bi-polar myself, it resulted in a situation where I was on the verge of needing that hotline and getting calls from one friend on a semi-nightly basis to be theirs. Eventually he called at the wrong time in my own mood swings and I told him to shut up unless he wanted me to bring him a razor. Stupid reaction, yes. However, in this one instance it set him on his keister in reaction and we had the first real unguarded conversation about what was going on the next day. He told me for several years after that it was the last time he contemplated suicide because he realized after our talk that it was selfish and cruel to those of us who actually loved him.

FuzzlePup

Thats not really my point sateva...my point is its entirely selfish. The guy killing himself might not care someone is going to have to clean up his dismembered obliterated bloody corpse, but I think others will. Once you die, you don't suffer one bit, but everybody else does. And if I was in his shoes, I'd get some help, because frankly, I don't want to die, there are far to many good things to just throw away. And I could never do that to my family, WORST thing you could do to the ones that love you, and for that reason, I despise these people that kill themselves.

SachiCoon

minima said:
Oh, I'm not discounting your opinion. I just think that in general humor is as valid a reaction as anything else to even devastating situations.

I guess mostly I dislike the idea of saying that a humorous reaction is 'never' appropriate to a given action. For some of us, it's the tool we use to distance the thoughts and feelings that might otherwise overwhelm us.

As far as suicide goes, I was the suicide hotline for too many friends growing up. Being bi-polar myself, it resulted in a situation where I was on the verge of needing that hotline and getting calls from one friend on a semi-nightly basis to be theirs. Eventually he called at the wrong time in my own mood swings and I told him to shut up unless he wanted me to bring him a razor. Stupid reaction, yes. However, in this one instance it set him on his keister in reaction and we had the first real unguarded conversation about what was going on the next day. He told me for several years after that it was the last time he contemplated suicide because he realized after our talk that it was selfish and cruel to those of us who actually loved him.

And I agree, yes. Humor is also my way of coping with the shittiest situations, because if I don't try to put humor into it, I become far more miserable and depressed about it. But even I don't laugh at serious suicides. No they can't be changed or stopped. But I can atleast show respect for the people involved. If the guy who jumped out in front of the train happened to be my father or my brother ((not that either of them or anyone else in my family is stupid enough to want to commit suicide)) and I found out people were laughing about it, I'd be smashing some skulls.

I also think that if someone REALLY wants to commit suicide, they will do it. Calling up your friends and whinning to them about how you want to kill yourself is just a cry for attention. You want someone to try and stop you so that you can feel worthy. Not that you shouldn't offer some comfort when someone is feeling down or depressed, but if they constantly threaten to kill themselves but don't, than they are being stupid.

minima

FuzzlePup said:
And I could never do that to my family, WORST thing you could do to the ones that love you, and for that reason, I despise these people that kill themselves.

I can't say that I despise them. I will say it undoes almost everything they had done right in their lives to end it on such a selfish act. One of my last real life heroes was Hunter S Thompson. The scathing hyperbolic rantings of his writings forming a distorted yet oddly truthful mirror held up before the face of a society he both loved and hated.

His death by the expedient of a bullet to his own head weakened the entire rebellious statement his life had made before that. A man who had constantly and consistently stood for an exaggerated life of cheating death. A man who had literally caused democrats and republicans to drop the party divide between them in Aspen in order to keep him from office gave in to the crap of the world or his own growing weakness and took the easy way out.

That reminds me:

A few months ago, this guy who goes to my school and lives in my neighborhood commited suicide by hanging himself in his bathroom. I remember that when it happened my brother and I were outside. My brother was practicing shooting baskets because he wated to join the team at his school, but I wanted to go back in the house because I hated having to help him "practice." Soon afterwards, we saw police and ambulance drive over to a house close to ours. We did not know who lived at the house, but my brother and I were like: "What do you think happened?" because we live in a very safe suburban neighborhood.

The next morning we find out that it was a guy from my high school and I actually knew who the guy was. I mean, I did not know him like a friend, I just knew him from seeing him in the halls at school and he rode my bus. So of course I was not effected by it that much. The news says the hanging was an "accident," and maybe it was, but I still think it was suicide.

sunshyne

That is horrible. I'm glad you're dealing with it alright though - if it were me I would probably be shaken up pretty badly for the next week or so.

The jokes are alright I guess (whoever said it, humor is a natural way to deal with tough emotions), but you people who keep saying how horrible and selfish people who commit suicide are can go shove it. We're talking about a situation of life and death here, and a lot of you are making people who take their own life sound like people who take the last piece of pizza. Wow. It is obvious you have no perspective, ZERO, ZILCH, NONE which makes your opinions on this issue valid. I'd say I do - considering my sister attempted suicide twice while she was in high school (I was in middle school). It's good that she wasn't too determined, and only used pills both times, or else she'd be dead right now and even the sight of this thread would take me to a very sad, sad place and I probably couldn't post here. So, until you have been there, until you or someone you love has been to that place where life is so bad, so crushing and suffocatingly hopeless that there is no other way out, just do us all a favor and keep your mouth shut.

Greyblade

In some places, attempted suicide is punishable by death.

Go figure.

Coward's way out anyway...