• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Summer Update + UI Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Greetings all,

I figured I'd stop in to give you all an update on things: We're still working on our Summer Update, but at this point we're behind schedule. We know - not a huge surprise, right? That said, the Summer Update (yes, that's what we're calling it now) is still being worked on, and we're aiming to roll this out over the course of this Summer, starting with an open beta.

We're still waiting on a few things to fall in line before we open it up to the public.

The update is taking longer than anticipated due to several reasons. For starters, it's not just a new UI. We could easily roll that out by itself, but we want substance and enhanced functionality. Something more than just revised CSS. That substance comes in the form of coding fixes, usability tweaks, an enhanced commenting system, revising the upload process (incl. completely revising categories, species lists, tagging, gallery folders, etc) as well as small things users have requested (such as +faving journals), better journals and more features over all.. We're focusing on issues that people have long since found frustrating.

It's been a long time coming and is a long time overdue. We're hoping to be able to announce a live beta date soon, but we want to do this right. Not rush into things.

That said, it will be this Summer, and it will be huge.

Thanks,
Dragoneer

fa_main.jpg

submission-page.png

fa_cp_profileinfo.gif

lolcox

I'm kind of yell-y. Sorry.
Answer two things for me, if you would:

1: Will there be a higher contrast version of this thing that you're rolling out? A lot of that stuff blends together like so much eye pudding.
2: Will the HTML be well commented, with classes and/or IDs on elements presented so that people who have to write their own styles to meet their visual needs can have all the hooks they want without having to bang out xpaths for everything?

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Answer two things for me, if you would:

1: Will there be a higher contrast version of this thing that you're rolling out? A lot of that stuff blends together like so much eye pudding.
2: Will the HTML be well commented, with classes and/or IDs on elements presented so that people who have to write their own styles to meet their visual needs can have all the hooks they want without having to bang out xpaths for everything?
1) The colors aren't 100% final (much like the footer - I keep tweaking them quite a bit). Once we have the update in place we'll tweak the colors to make them a little less depressing and give some proper contracts (and eventually a light/dark variant, perhaps some themed versions).
2) That I don't have a good answer to at this moment. So, I'll go with "I don't know off hand."

drurowin

When you rolled out the last UI update recently, I saw for a split second before refreshing the page a "User Online" icon... Was I imagining things, or is that being added in this update?

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
Is there a way you can make a version colorblind can see with no problem? I know if a theme layout is done I am not going to be able to read some people's profiles if they use weird colors.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
When you rolled out the last UI update recently, I saw for a split second before refreshing the page a "User Online" icon... Was I imagining things, or is that being added in this update?
Probably, yes, thought it won't update in real time, but every x seconds or so (just for performance reasons). Right now, all admins on FA have that "Users Online" tab, and we can see everybody who's logged in. For me, it looks like:
8272 Users online — 6589 registered and 1683 guests

Is there a way you can make a version colorblind can see with no problem? I know if a theme layout is done I am not going to be able to read some people's profiles if they use weird colors.
I'd like to see us implement a "disable color tag" option in the Control Panel. Some people use colors nicely. Some people vomit colors. Personally, I am not a fan of people who abuse colors to the point it looks like a clown was stabbed and left to die on their page*. Rainbow is not an appealing palette choice.

* This is my own personal opinion. FA, as a site and a community, does not endorse clown murder.

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
Personally, I'd like to see us implement a "disable color tag" option in the Control Panel. Some people use colors nicely. Some people vomit colors. Personally, I am not a fan of people who abuse colors to the point it looks like a clown was stabbed and left to die on their page*. Rainbow is not an appealing palette choice.

* This is my own personal opinion. FA, as a site and a community, does not endorse clown murder.

I will hug you if you do this :3

Kajet

Reminds me of inkbunny... and no that is not a particularly good thing.

And a version for mobile phones would be nice.

Smelge

Hey, Assbutt
When your new version inevitably gets hacked/broken into/etc, are you going to ignore it or try and fix the issues that cause breaches as soon as they happen, rather than ignore them for long periods of time.

Alstor

And twice as shiny
Did you already show a demo of this that wasn't at FA:U, or am I thinking of a rumor?

If not, could you provide a video demo for the site for Youtube or something. The way I see it, it's like seeing screenshots of a future film/video game/other type of media and watching a trailer of it.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Did you already show a demo of this that wasn't at FA:U, or am I thinking of a rumor?

If not, could you provide a video demo for the site for Youtube or something. The way I see it, it's like seeing screenshots of a future film/video game/other type of media and watching a trailer of it.
We showed a live version of the UI at FA United. A good chunk of everything is coded and working fine. =3

drurowin

Personally, I'd like to see us implement a "disable color tag" option in the Control Panel. Some people use colors nicely. Some people vomit colors. Personally, I am not a fan of people who abuse colors to the point it looks like a clown was stabbed and left to die on their page*. Rainbow is not an appealing palette choice.

While I don't have vision problems, sometimes the color mess makes pages _VERY_ hard to read. I would appreciate the option.

drurowin

Oh... one more question, and I promise I'll leave! Right now, you either have no mature art and it vanishes off the face of the site, or you do enable mature art and everything that you could ever dream of in your nightmares appears. Will there be a more sane way of doing this? There are three levels of maturity, there should be at least three options (general only, general+mature, everything).

There isn't even a sane way of using scripting to blank it out, at least that I could see on the front page. Expanding the options would be great.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Oh... one more question, and I promise I'll leave! Right now, you either have no mature art and it vanishes off the face of the site, or you do enable mature art and everything that you could ever dream of in your nightmares appears. Will there be a more sane way of doing this? There are three levels of maturity, there should be at least three options (general only, general+mature, everything).

There isn't even a sane way of using scripting to blank it out, at least that I could see on the front page. Expanding the options would be great.
I want to fix this, yes. I find it incredibly aggravating.

Xenke

'Neer, lately I've heard some people say they're concerned about the branding of the site, namely the fact that the mainsite's "logo" (the part that says "Fur Affinity") is inconsistent between each new banner. I also notice that it appears that this logo in this new UI seems to be layered over an image.

My questions are this: Are you planning on keeping a regular logo, even if you plan to have different artists make the banner every month?

The other thing I've heard around is that some people would like the 'F' part of the tail logo to be more obvious.

And I'm also going to have to echo other people's concerns that the layout colors are too muddy.

Summercat

Former Motterator
I am Summercat and I approve the name of this update.

For the record, while I'm not happy* with the new visual update, it also does not fill me with rage, so I guess that's good?

*I'm very *very* conservative** about changes in how things look. I refuse to use DA for this reason now.

**Considering I made the Summerchimera, mileage may vary.

yobutt5

Dignitary of dank
I do remember this template design from a year and a half ago ^_^ And i remember it being showcased at http://preyfar.furaffinity.net/template/.

Quick question. Is this build on the Ferrox code, that's sat around for quite a bit, or did y'all hire a graphic designer like you'd mentioned?

Last edited:

Croc_Takayama

Not bad. I could get used to the look, but I have two questions.

1. From what I'm seeing in the screencap, both the favorites and watchers notice are together. I personally prefer it where everything is separate. i.e; 2 watches, 54 favorites, 3 submissions, 6 journals, 1 note. To me, that's more organized than bunching them together like it's showing in the image. Will they be fixing that so it looks like that instead?

2. I'm quite positive not everyone will like the new UI, will there be an option to switch from the old and new?

thoron

Will the new layout stretch to fill out wider screens? I really hate it when theres just a collum in the middle of a wide screen and everything to either side serves no perpose. Also, will there be a skin option where I can switch to the old lay out if we find that this new version isn't to my liking?

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
'Neer, lately I've heard some people say they're concerned about the branding of the site, namely the fact that the mainsite's "logo" (the part that says "Fur Affinity") is inconsistent between each new banner. I also notice that it appears that this logo in this new UI seems to be layered over an image.

My questions are this: Are you planning on keeping a regular logo, even if you plan to have different artists make the banner every month?

The other thing I've heard around is that some people would like the 'F' part of the tail logo to be more obvious.

And I'm also going to have to echo other people's concerns that the layout colors are too muddy.
The logo will undergo some revision to make it more apparent, but there will be a consistent logo/design for the final site. In addition, we're going to have much stricter guidelines for banners on the site. Emphasis on quality.

Also, the colors will change through the design process. It's very easy to tweak colors once we have everything built.

Is this build on the Ferrox code, that's sat around for quite a bit, or did y'all hire a graphic designer like you'd mentioned?
Ferrox has been abandoned. It was only ever a designation for the "next code update", but the plans to do a full recoding of the site are currently on ice.

And we're getting some help from a graphic designer, and will pull on some additional coders in the near future as well. I have no ETAs on who/what/when.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
1. From what I'm seeing in the screencap, both the favorites and watchers notice are together. I personally prefer it where everything is separate. i.e; 2 watches, 54 favorites, 3 submissions, 6 journals, 1 note. To me, that's more organized than bunching them together like it's showing in the image. Will they be fixing that so it looks like that instead?
Much of that will be fixed/tweaked by the time things are finalized.

One thing I want to fix is "favorite" notifications. They, frankly, irritate the hell out of me.

What we want to have happen is things like:
19 new favorites on "Submission Name" (+)

Then you click the (+) and it lists the names of people who favorited it as a group, not 19 individual notices. We'll be revisiting a lot of the way messaging and other stuff is done. It may not be radical changes, but things that make being on FA easier.

2. I'm quite positive not everyone will like the new UI, will there be an option to switch from the old and new?
Probably not. The site needs to move forward, and to incorporate all the changes going into the new UI we'd have to recode a lot of the current UI. While I'm well aware that some people are hesitant/resistant to change, to be honest if we continue to backpedal we'll never get to where we need to be. The new UI is mostly based on the existing UI, and stays true to it where possible. It make take some people a few days to adjust, but we're not talking sweeping changes.

Fur Affinity has a "feel" to it. We want to keep that feel, but remove the "meh". It can be done.

Will the new layout stretch to fill out wider screens? I really hate it when theres just a collum in the middle of a wide screen and everything to either side serves no perpose.
Yes. We may even given an option for "fixed" and "fluid" via the control panel. I don't know which will be the default (makes sense to keep it fluid as it is right now). However, when designing the UI we keep it on a standard fixed format because it's easier to keep consistent.

Dr. Durr

Misses The Point Frequently
Will this new update be Mobile-Friendly?

Croc_Takayama

Much of that will be fixed/tweaked by the time things are finalized.

One thing I want to fix is "favorite" notifications. They, frankly, irritate the hell out of me.

What we want to have happen is things like:
19 new favorites on "Submission Name" (+)

Then you click the (+) and it lists the names of people who favorited it as a group, not 19 individual notices. We'll be revisiting a lot of the way messaging and other stuff is done. It may not be radical changes, but things that make being on FA easier.

That actually sounds even better. Alright, sweet.

Probably not. The site needs to move forward, and to incorporate all the changes going into the new UI we'd have to recode a lot of the current UI. While I'm well aware that some people are hesitant/resistant to change, to be honest if we continue to backpedal we'll never get to where we need to be. The new UI is mostly based on the existing UI, and stays true to it where possible. It make take some people a few days to adjust, but we're not talking sweeping changes.

Fur Affinity has a "feel" to it. We want to keep that feel, but remove the "meh". It can be done.

Fair enough. Either way, I look forward to the new change.

yobutt5

Dignitary of dank
Ferrox has been abandoned. It was only ever a designation for the "next code update", but the plans to do a full recoding of the site are currently on ice.

And we're getting some help from a graphic designer, and will pull on some additional coders in the near future as well. I have no ETAs on who/what/when.

And just now, i see my grammar flaw.. *facepaw*

I'm an aspiring graphics designer, i know my way around CSS, most of the flavors of HTML, XML, and Javascript. By no means a proper portfolio, but i did cobble this together the other night. http://root.breakingspell.com/. Most of it in Flash, but this stuff is rather universal to me. I'd love to help out, or be on call or whatnot, i'm sure you have a waiting list out the door, but just thought i'd say =)

Status
Not open for further replies.