• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Super Smash Bros.

SirRob

I'm flattered that you guys think that, but I don't believe my "level" is one to aim for. In fact, I don't even know how good I am in comparison to players who regularly attend tourneys. I just play for fun and I've yet to enter any big competitions that wasn't the result of my friends hounding me to join.

Though I guess that's saying something, haha. I don't enter tournaments expecting to win, yet I've won a few.
But I don't want to win tournaments. I just want to be as good as you. And I think that your skill level is something that's attainable.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
But I don't want to win tournaments. I just want to be as good as you. And I think that your skill level is something that's attainable.

Oh, lol. Well in that case, you'd be right. It's attainable.

I have gotten down most of the frames it takes to use my main properly, but everything that comes after is knowledge about match-ups and having the balls to go for hard reads and punishments.

SirRob

...That's another thing. I don't want to get to a point where I'm concerned about frames, that's too deep into the game for me.
Probably wouldn't make a difference online, anyway.

DukeTheHusky

The Gamer Dog
Oh, lol. Well in that case, you'd be right. It's attainable.

I have gotten down most of the frames it takes to use my main properly, but everything that comes after is knowledge about match-ups and having the balls to go for hard reads and punishments.

Ok so I may have just complimented you. But I I seriously think we say you are so good is because Charizard is uncharted territory for us in terms of match ups and frame data so we have no idea what moves will work when. Don't get me wrong you are an excellent player, but I feel that you do have a big advantage in this case. Inb4 someone says I'm making up excuses to why I lose to Terror.

Also I need someone to train myself not to pressure shield even when I'm in no position to do so. Like being juggled, I have a tendency to land near my opponent to pressure them. But I noticed i usually get punished by good players. I have trouble landing and getting back on stage from hanging on the ledge. I can do find avoiding in the air, but if you ledge guard me without leaving the stage and sitting near the ledge I have trouble figuring out what to do to land back safely.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
I have admitted to having that advantage, but I'll say it again, Charizard isn't easy to use, which is why you don't see many. :p

Villager has a godlike recovery, but it comes with a price. No character has a definite way of getting back on stage, yet Villager has the misfortune of having a very punishable recovery. I imagine his custom moves can fix this.

...That's another thing. I don't want to get to a point where I'm concerned about frames, that's too deep into the game for me.
Probably wouldn't make a difference online, anyway.

I'm not concerned with it myself, to be honest. It just came with practice. All you need to know is what you can and can't short-hop, how fast your attacks come out, and the ending lag for said attacks. The frame data itself isn't important, but you do have to keep the timing of other characters' attacks in mind, and I admit, it can get very tiring. It's almost necessary for this game because of the strong ground options and hitstun, and at times I wish it were like Brawl because this game is much, much slower in comparison. You could afford to be reckless in Brawl.

Not this game. If you drop your tempo against a good or bad player, you'll be eating dust. If you play too defensively, you'll be eating grabs. If you dodge too much, you'll be eating punishments. If you don't create pressure, the other player will and if you don't adapt in time, you WILL lose.

I can't help you with Fox (I'm horrible with him; I do best with slower characters) because of our different playstyles, but you do have to be quick with him to an exhausting fashion. Myself with Charizard, I have to rely on my opponent making mistakes.

Last edited:

Eggdodger

Mourning Dove
If they wanted Villager's recovery to be more consistent with its use in Balloon Fight, his feet would knock players away from him.

Not necessarily cause damage, just knockback. In Balloon Fight, it only hurt enemies if you popped their balloons, not bump into them.

SirRob

I have admitted to having that advantage, but I'll say it again, Charizard isn't easy to use, which is why you don't see many. :p

Villager has a godlike recovery, but it comes with a price. No character has a definite way of getting back on stage, yet Villager has the misfortune of having a very punishable recovery. I imagine his custom moves can fix this.

I'm not concerned with it myself, to be honest. It just came with practice. All you need to know is what you can and can't short-hop, how fast your attacks come out, and the ending lag for said attacks. The frame data itself isn't important, but you do have to keep the timing of other characters' attacks in mind, and I admit, it can get very tiring. It's almost necessary for this game because of the strong ground options and hitstun, and at times I wish it were like Brawl because this game is much, much slower in comparison. You could afford to be reckless in Brawl.

Not this game. If you drop your tempo against a good or bad player, you'll be eating dust. If you play too defensively, you'll be eating grabs. If you dodge too much, you'll be eating punishments. If you don't create pressure, the other player will and if you don't adapt in time, you WILL lose.

I can't help you with Fox (I'm horrible with him; I do best with slower characters) because of our different playstyles, but you do have to be quick with him to an exhausting fashion. Myself with Charizard, I have to rely on my opponent making mistakes.
Well, I lose to you because of our gap in skill, not because I'm unfamiliar with the character. The last time we played each other, I was actually fooling around with Charizard in For Fun mode beforehand, and getting a sense of all his moves.
There was a thread on Smashboards that analyzed Fox's matchups, and Fox vs. Charizard was the one that was the most in favor of Fox, at 90:10. So even if I was beating you, I'd have to beat you 90% of the time to say we're even in skill, ha!

I agree that it's extremely important to get a handle on all of the characters' moves. I don't do this as often as I should, but sometimes I go into training, select Random, and then go through the moves of the character I get, and play around with them. That way I get a good sense of what the character can do in depth, and can get a better understanding of what I'm actually fighting against. Doing this makes it easier to spot what my opponent is doing, and when they leave an opening.

You think this game is slower than Brawl? I prefer the gameplay in this game over that of 64, Melee, and Brawl. I think the balance between the competitive and accessible side is the best it's ever been, and that middle ground is what I like. I think what you say about dropping your tempo, applies to any game, right?

Honestly, I have no business venting because I always have ways to improve. I should spend more time learning the other characters, and I should spend more time analyzing my replays (which I did in bulk today). When I get to a point where I can't see what I'm doing wrong in the replays, that's when I should go to you guys or Smashboards/GameFAQs and ask for help.

Alastair Snowpaw

The Skull Paw
Ok so I may have just complimented you. But I I seriously think we say you are so good is because Charizard is uncharted territory for us in terms of match ups and frame data so we have no idea what moves will work when. Don't get me wrong you are an excellent player, but I feel that you do have a big advantage in this case.
cause Wii fit trainer is totally a well known match-up by all and is a very straightforward character who's moves all make sense in how they work.

Alastair Snowpaw

The Skull Paw

smash 4 is definitally faster than brawl, in brawl the only one who could afford to be reckless was metaknight. i guess you could also consider it faster if ICs are involved with their touch of death infinates that makes games faster. Otherwise it was way more campy and slower. Also i'm pretty sure those two statements contradict each other since you talk about how stron ghte tempo is in smash 4 which is a cahracterization of a faster game. In brawl there is no such thing as a tempo really, it's just trading hits and going back to nuetral or getting hard reads.

Projectiles where much better in brawl, physical ones could just be knocked away and there wheren't any hard counter to projectile heavy characters like there are in smash 4. Air dodging into the ground was unpunishble so you couldn't juggle poeple like you can in smash 4. also there are way more strings in smash 4. DI momentum canceling are much less of a thing so poeple die sooner, also Smash DI isn't a thing which some moves more usuable then they where before. Also grabs had armor in brawl so shield grabbing was much stronger than it is now. There was also ledge camping since regrab invcibility was a thing.

I love smash 4's pace the most out of any smash because it is not slow enough that it's constantly nuetral but not fast enough where it's a blur and stops being interseting to think about. Smash 4 has my favorite pace where it's not a overly fast nuetra game but tempo can swing and keep staying in one direction.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
I'm sorry I didn't clarify, but I meant the game's engine and overall feel. It's mostly because of added landing lag to most character's moves, save for the light characters, that Smash 4 feels slower than Brawl. If we're talking about the metagame, then yes, Brawl is indeed the slower game, and criminally. Smash 4 does force you to reset to neutral very often because of combo strings, and while it's the ideal thing to do, it can cause the game to drag when both players start fishing for a hit or read. I've had many games where it boils down to me and my opponent running around in circles waiting for the other one to screw up.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pacing of this game, too. It's far from perfect, but it has to be the closest to it.

My friends and I have all agreed that Smash 4 is slower, and we are the type of crowd to play 4-player games on the crazy stages with items on. We do play the hell out of Smash 4 and it is easily my favorite Smash game to date, but it's missing a few things that Brawl had that I wish were back. Ledge trumping is amazing, though. I'm very happy that's in.

That's my opinion, anyhow. Like I said, I don't do competitive so my words only come from my observations in the living room. :-D

cause Wii fit trainer is totally a well known match-up by all and is a very straightforward character who's moves all make sense in how they work.

This confuses me. lol

SirRob

I think Terror just slightly edges you out. I don't think I've ever beaten him, even when he's used characters other than Charizard.

DukeTheHusky

The Gamer Dog

WFT is actually not hard for me to figure out. I've played around with her/him before and I've had a friend play them for awhile around when the game came out. Now Charizard.... Skybound is the very first Charizard I've seen that knows what in the hell they are doing. I play around with many of the characters but I usually never bother with heavy characters, I dislike how slow they are.

DukeTheHusky

The Gamer Dog
I think Terror just slightly edges you out. I don't think I've ever beaten him, even when he's used characters other than Charizard.

He's only used Charizard against me...

Ieono

Uberaffe
Is there a list of FCs or something somewhere? I've finally got some good internet to play with if anyone wants to. I haven't played this game in months, but I'd like to try it out while I can. I play on the 3DS.

Ieono

Uberaffe
Ah, cool.

Mine is errr 0275-9680-1560

Ieono

Uberaffe
And you think you suck? Haha. Thanks for playing with me. I gotta go take a shower~

SirRob

It's relative. You said you hadn't played for a few months so by all rights I should be winning, if we're gonna do a For Glory format! Good games, you had me on my toes the whole time.

ToaEnemis

Hi everyone I'm ToaEnemis. A friend of mine told me about this place, so I decided to stop by and see what its like. I'm a Lucario main. Have been since brawl. In fact, it was thanks to this anthropomorphic pokemon that I got dragged into this fandom in the first place ^^"... but I guess it cant be helped lol. Anyways, I hope to have some matches with everyone and see how well I stack up against some other Smash playing Furries. My NNID is: Enemis

SirRob

Hello! I'd be happy to play you some time, my NNID is SirRobX. I am a Fox main, but sometimes I get distracted because he just turns me on so immensely.

Ieono

Uberaffe
It's relative. You said you hadn't played for a few months so by all rights I should be winning, if we're gonna do a For Glory format! Good games, you had me on my toes the whole time.

Ha, if some of these guys are truly better than you, then I'm in deep shit. I really had a hard time!