• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Supreme Court now hearing cases on gay marriage

CrazyLee

Biggest buttplug ever
Right now the Supreme Court is hearing two cases, one against Proposition 8 in California, and the other one against the DOMA.

I'm slightly worried about this. Consider that the Supreme Court is more conservative than liberal right now, although Kennedy is the moderate conservative swing voter here and may vote either way.

It seems though that the Supremes are reluctant to fully tackle this issue.
My theory is that they will probably strike down the DOMA, as for Prop 8, they may let the previous ruling (that it's unconstitutional) stand, but not vote that gay marriage should be legal everywhere.

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
My theory is that they will probably strike down the DOMA, as for Prop 8, they may let the previous ruling (that it's unconstitutional) stand, but not vote that gay marriage should be legal everywhere.
My money is on that also. Probably 5-4 ruling in the end on both of them as well.

. . . However the people saying that the laws are constitutional faceplanted so hard while debating they snapped their head clean off and the force sent it sailing through a football goalpost level of fail. So it's going to be a while until we know their ruling.

Kosdu

You think in California of all places it'd be legal.

I do hope this is declared unconstitutional (Prop 8 & Doma), though I will never marry.

Last edited:

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
Maybe once the gays are through having their bitchfit we can move on to the whole one in five kids living in poverty thing this country has going on.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
You think in California of all places it'd be legal.

No because religious fear mongering and campaigning with areas that are primarily poor and minority voted it in.

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
No because religious fear mongering and campaigning with areas that are primarily poor and minority voted it in.

People seriously underestimate the fanatical devotion to Catholicism the hispanic communities have.

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
It's looking like it's shaping up to be 4 against doma and prop 8, three for it being legal and two not wanting to make a broad ruling. Hopefully one of those two undecided will vote against the laws being unconstitutional.

Tignatious

More fashionable than Gucci
Maybe once the gays are through having their bitchfit we can move on to the whole one in five kids living in poverty thing this country has going on.

Seriously? Wanting to have equal rights is a "bitchfit?" I hope you enjoy never having been persecuted or have benefits denied to you because of your sexual orientation.

Belluavir

Fag Enabler, Breeder Disabler
It kind of looks like the Supreme Court will rule that protectmarriage.com has no standing to appeal the 9th circuit's decision, which means it would fall back to that and same-sex marriage will be recognized in California.

As for DOMA, I'm calling 6-3 in favor of repeal with Alito, Scalia and Thomas dissenting. Scalia will probably write the dissent, you know, because he's a fucking asshole.

There's a standing issue with DOMA as well though I'm confident that they won't throw out DOMA. If they do what will happen is that it'll go back to the ruling in the 2nd circuit and DOMA will be invalidated but only in the states in the 2nd Circuit. That's just too retarded, especially for the likes of Kennedy and Roberts.

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
Seriously? Wanting to have equal rights is a "bitchfit?" I hope you enjoy never having been persecuted or have benefits denied to you because of your sexual orientation.

I hope you enjoy never having had to stand in line at the food bank for groceries. I'm all for equal rights don't get me wrong, it's pretty insulting that as a western nation we don't have this stuff legalized. The fact this is even still a discussion is ridiculous. But I have priorities.

Tignatious

I hope you enjoy never having had to stand in line at the food bank for groceries. I'm all for equal rights don't get me wrong, it's pretty insulting that as a western nation we don't have this stuff legalized. The fact this is even still a discussion is ridiculous. But I have priorities.
Actually, asshole, I am right now. I've lost my job and as an unemployed, single, childless female of Caucasian decent, that's what I'm having to do for food right now. Why? Because not having kids and being under 25 years of age clearly means that I should still be living at home according to my state government.

I hope you never lose your insurance because your state decides that your same sex partner can't give you the benefits that their employer provides. Child of a same sex couple? Thousands of children lost their insurance here when Amendment One passed.

Take your head out of your privileged ass and suffer for a while. Maybe then you won't be so quick to call the fight for equality a bitchfit.

Belluavir

Is one of those priorities posting bullshit you know will just piss people off and add nothing of value to the conversation?

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers

Nice off topic. Maybe help a few starving families then. After all, the money you use to pay for internet could go to help fill some hungry bellies. Or hell, use the free time you use complaining on this forum to volunteer at a shelter.

Or keep complaining here...whatever you think will make those kiddies grow strong.

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
Actually, asshole, I am right now. I've lost my job and as an unemployed, single, childless female of Caucasian decent, that's what I'm having to do for food right now. Why? Because not having kids and being under 25 years of age clearly means that I should still be living at home according to my state government.

I hope you never lose your insurance because your state decides that your same sex partner can't give you the benefits that their employer provides. Child of a same sex couple? Thousands of children lost their insurance here when Amendment One passed.

Take your head out of your privileged ass and suffer for a while. Maybe then you won't be so quick to call the fight for equality a bitchfit.

No, my family just lost all insurance and our house because the state decided to not give disability benefits to my narcoleptic father for over 3 years because "he's faking it."

Nice off topic. Maybe help a few starving families then. After all, the money you use to pay for internet could go to help fill some hungry bellies. Or hell, use the free time you use complaining on this forum to volunteer at a shelter.

Or keep complaining here...whatever you think will make those kiddies grow strong.

Charity is a stop gap, the problem is systematic. The legalization of marijuana in Colorado and Washington is going to help more poor families than all the food banks.

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
Facebook is starting to look like the second coming of Kony 2012 ever since the hearings started.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
But I have priorities.

Your priorities are.
Bitching and Moaning.
Talking about how poor you are but spend time bitching about it on the internet. Most bizarre hypocritical bullshit I've heard.

Knock it off or your ban is gonna be for a few months.

Tignatious

No, my family just lost all insurance and our house because the state decided to not give disability benefits to my narcoleptic father for over 3 years because "he's faking it."

Nice off topic pitty post. Guess what, if you were the child of a same sex couple here, YOU'D STILL BE DENIED DISABILITY RIGHTS. How is that fair? How is that just? You'd be throwing a "bitchfit" too.

You want to cry about the poor children, but when faced with facts about children being affected by anti same sex couple laws, you just wanna point out everything not on the topic. Go ahead, say something completely derogatory to a sect of people, a large portion of which makes up this fandom, and coward out. What you said was baseless, tactless, and down right homophobic.

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
Charity is a stop gap, the problem is systematic. The legalization of marijuana in Colorado and Washington is going to help more poor families than all the food banks.

Yeah, marijuana has the nutrition growing bodies need. Please never procreate.

Tignatious

Oh god I'm turning into an extremist

How are you an extremist? You've dodged everything people have said to you. Do you just reply with the first thing that pops into your head, regardless of its relevance to the topic?

Are you that proud to apologize to every person here on this forum that is in a same sex relationship for the derogatory comment about "the gays bitchfit" about equal rights? Are you that much of an extremist when it comes to pride? Hell, I think Brazen has better manors than you.

Seriously, what right did you have to call the struggle for equality, so the same kids that have a parent struggling for disability like you can receive those benefits, a bitchfit? And if you didn't mean it, then why not a, have the balls to defend your position, or b, apologize and not look like a total heterosexual supremacist?

Last edited:

Belluavir