• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Survey for Uni work

Ricky

I answered it, though I highly doubt this is a huge contributor to overall pollution. I could very well be wrong.

Whatever is feasible that wouldn't negatively affect performance probably is in place already.

Side reactions of combustion aren't really favorable to much of anything.

BackwardsDrifter

I answered it, though I highly doubt this is a huge contributor to overall pollution. I could very well be wrong.

Whatever is feasible that wouldn't negatively affect performance probably is in place already.

Side reactions of combustion aren't really favorable to much of anything.

Thanks a lot. Yeah I know for a fact that Motorsport barely makes an impact on our carbon footprint compared to a lot of other contributors. I just chose this topic since it was easy to do for this particular unit. (Research Methods)

The main idea of this is just to gain an insight of what people think of about the topic; which is the whole point of this unit.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
OK, took the survey. I don't really follow motorsports, but I think maybe if they did more to set a good example, it could help...but I'm not sure what impact they have, in and of themselves.

Oddly, I have a strong dislike for noisy engine-driven things like motorcycles, cars with loud mufflers, and such...makes me really edgy. I have sorta wanted a motorcycle, but also for it not to make noise! Maybe they have electric ones????

Ricky

Oddly, I have a strong dislike for noisy engine-driven things like motorcycles, cars with loud mufflers, and such...makes me really edgy. I have sorta wanted a motorcycle, but also for it not to make noise! Maybe they have electric ones????

Ugh. People put those stupid mufflers on their car, and they generally don't do anything except sound horrible.

You don't even need to buy anything, just shoot a hole in it, it'll do the same thing :V

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Ugh. People put those stupid mufflers on their car, and they generally don't do anything except sound horrible.

You don't even need to buy anything, just shoot a hole in it, it'll do the same thing :V

What's weird to me, is that isn't the job of a muffler to, in fact, muffle?

Also, when I used to drive, I always had cheap old cars, so if a loud motorcycle or car went by, I'd sometimes have this brief pang of anxiety, like my own muffler maybe fell off or something, and thus, a big repair bill was looming.

Ricky

What's weird to me, is that isn't the job of a muffler to, in fact, muffle?

Lol, yeah. Pull it off and it would also do the same thing.

I don't think that is legal though, since it creates noise and air pollution.

Also, when I used to drive, I always had cheap old cars, so if a loud motorcycle or car went by, I'd sometimes have this brief pang of anxiety, like my own muffler maybe fell off or something, and thus, a big repair bill was looming.

Exhaust equipment is a bitch to take apart >.<

BackwardsDrifter

OK, took the survey. I don't really follow motorsports, but I think maybe if they did more to set a good example, it could help...but I'm not sure what impact they have, in and of themselves.

Thanks. Even if you're not that interested it does still help. I can still use the information to show how peoples opinions change depending on how interested they are in the sport.

Haha. I do like loud engine noises however only when it's done properly. Just swapping out the muffler makes the noise louder but it doesn't really sound great. Plus it very rarely gives any power gains. The only way to go for me is a full exhaust system. That way it can actually sound quite nice, get power gains and you can still keep it quiet if that's what you want. I can definitely see where you're coming from though and understand that loud engine noises isn't for everyone.

I do know with bikes however it is actually a recommendation to swap out the muffler to make it louder to make people more aware of your existence. It's too common for people to not check their mirrors and blindspots so bikers are put at higher risks. So making you're bike louder can make you more noticeable. Some people will actually blip the throttle when coming up to heavy traffic and queues to let people know they're there. It's also why you'll see them always riding round with their lights on. It makes them more noticeable so there's less chance of an accident.

I do know there is some experimentation going on at the moment with electric bikes though. There's a team who compete in the TT with an electric bike. They have ridiculous amounts of acceleration.

Lol, yeah. Pull it off and it would also do the same thing.

I don't think that is legal though, since it creates noise and air pollution.

Exhaust equipment is a bitch to take apart >.<

Yeah it's not actually legal to (well depending where you live). You're exhaust noise levels basically need to be reasonable with normal driving for the police to allow it. Where I live (UK) there isn't any actual set amount of decibals where it can become illegal. It's just up to the police to feel whether it's reasonable or not. It won't effect emissions though.

-Sliqq-

Silo

I call it a breakfast muffler, since it makes sounds like it runs on eggs and cheese.

BackwardsDrifter

Thanks to everyone who took the time to fill out this survey. I've ended up getting over double the amount of responses than what was required. I've now closed the survey as I'm now working on this assignment and obviously don't need anymore responses.

Thanks again everyone.

reptile logic

An imposter among aliens.

I am a passionate motorcyclist. That said, I agree with your noisy engine comment. I ride sport bikes. Where and how I ride them dictates that I be as quiet and inconspicuous as possible. I got over the "look at me!" noisemaker tuning long ago. The stock machines are surprisingly quiet, but you seldom notice them because the first thing most owners want to do is make them loud.

Alas, only electric bikes are truly quiet, and it will be some time yet before one is built that can truly perform and run a reasonable distance between charges. Then there is the charge-time issue. If you live in a city, and want to use it for short runs, there are a few models available now. They're expensive.