• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Survey - Orientation and furries in general

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
This lmfao
i know of so few women in the fandom. Anyone who only knows chicks in the fandom is solely looking to find them and is ignoring anyone else lol.
A lot depends on what part of the fandom we're talking about. Most furries I know are artists, and a lot of furry artists are female. There are also quite a few female fursuit makers.

And then there's the matter of which demographics enjoy what you draw. When I used to upload more frequently, a lot of the characters I drew were female. The people who faved and commented most tended to fall into three categories: artists of any gender, straight males, or females who identified with or otherwise liked the characters.

Years ago, when I attended my first convention, I shared a room with an online friend. We met through being mutual fans of each others' art. While he was introducing me, a bunch of fursuiters walked in. The first I met was his wife. I didn't realize how many were female, however, until they took their fursuit heads off. My thought at the time was "Oh, that's where the women are hiding." XD It's true to an extent. There are groups of female fursuiters who mostly interact with other female fursuiters, and otherwise keep to themselves. At least as far as fandom activities go. It's a thing.

So yeah, it can be pretty easy to "ignore" the gay stuff. Furry fandom is like a smorgasbord, in a way. There's enough content that you can find the stuff you like, and surround yourself with that.

For what it's worth, I'm a straight male.

Sam Akuchin Wamm

Don't know what the word for what i am is but i'm all accepting.

I was born that way and never changed.

zenmaldita

always hungry
im late to the party but I did notice that in my local furry community, most are male; but there's an even distribution of straight and gay. back then, I wanted to join their outings and meetups but when I see the photos and it's all guys, I end up chickening out haha

as for me, i'm bi? pan? demi?
i don't really know. if I like you, i like you (and I will stop any romantic development because I can't afford a relationship)

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
This lmfao
i know of so few women in the fandom. Anyone who only knows chicks in the fandom is solely looking to find them and is ignoring anyone else lol.
I think you don't know any women in the fandom because you're referring to them as "chicks". Lol.
Women don't like thirst. It's unattractive. We literally disappear.

Lusaire

The Resident Blacksmith Furry
I know the survey's over so I'm not sure if this would be helpful at all but I'm cis female and asexual!

Most of my characters are male though, just because I've always personally liked male-identifying characters more than female-identifying ones. As a result a lot of people started using he/him pronouns for me online, which I'm totally okay with (any pronouns are fine for me tbh, I truly don't mind). I think aside from just design considerations, I always struggled with how sexualized and annoyingly cookie-cutter-like female characters were depicted as in general media, and ended up identifying more with male characters, which is in some ways rather sad. Lately I've started to gain more of an interest in female characters, though, as I've seen some really positive and likable ones in the past few years.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Im a chick. I dont mind being called a chick.
I'm a bear, not a chick. I demand respect.

Also, my previous point still stands. Women don't want to be around thirsty ass men. We literally evaporate.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I know the survey's over so I'm not sure if this would be helpful at all but I'm cis female and asexual!

Most of my characters are male though, just because I've always personally liked male-identifying characters more than female-identifying ones. As a result a lot of people started using he/him pronouns for me online, which I'm totally okay with (any pronouns are fine for me tbh, I truly don't mind). I think aside from just design considerations, I always struggled with how sexualized and annoyingly cookie-cutter-like female characters were depicted as in general media, and ended up identifying more with male characters, which is in some ways rather sad. Lately I've started to gain more of an interest in female characters, though, as I've seen some really positive and likable ones in the past few years.
Eyy~, another ace!

I gotta agree with you. I am very annoyed by the lack of diversity in femme designs. Thats why I got really good at body diversity in general~. I have a lot of male and female characters, but I'm very non-binary myself to be honest. I just enjoy being femme.

anonfoxer

trans girl, arctic fox, dingus. she/her
I'm a bear, not a chick. I demand respect.

Also, my previous point still stands. Women don't want to be around thirsty ass men. We literally evaporate.
I agree 100 percent with the second part. i dont want to be around thirsty men more than any other woman. Especially as a very, very gay woman.
But I personally don't find chick disrespectful, which i think is fair.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I agree 100 percent with the second part. i dont want to be around thirsty men more than any other woman. Especially as a very, very gay woman.
But I personally don't find chick disrespectful, which i think is fair.
Thats fair, chickedees are also cute. >u<
-Lol, I'm just not one of them.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
>QUERY=checkstat d:\\mxting_drxve.dll

>ECHO=d:\\mxting_drxve.dll status=『DEAD』

>ERROR=drive d:\\ not found; deleted on 99/99/9999

I love all the effort you put into your posts. They're all so wonderful.

We literally evaporate.

...this explains a lot about myself that i never knew before.

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
Forgive me for the slightly tangential post, but the fandom seemed a little more gay leaning in the early 2000's. A part of me dislikes how mainstream the fandom has gotten. Straight furs seem to have been edging out gay furs, if I were to go by anecdotal purview on the whole thing. I'm fully aware of how selfish and unpleasant it makes me sound, but I find the change unwelcome. Some time ago, I could rely on the fandom to be a societal inverse, where the majority of the media was catered to my interests and sexuality. It felt like a community that was largely on the same page as I. Where mainstream society liked to pretend I didn't exist, or worse, mock me. The fandom made me feel much the opposite. I enjoyed that inverse.

These days, it doesn't much feel like that, seems like straight furs will or are becoming the majority, and I find the change unfortunate. Not that I want to come off as unwelcoming to newcomers, but I am regretful that the fandom is losing something that had helped me endure how callous society could be.
That feeling of outcasts banding together to support each other just isn't as strong, and realizing that, is rather melancholic.

Sorry for the slightly grouchy post, heh. Came off a bit strong, I suppose there are worse things!

Last edited:

Jackpot Raccuki

Fucking Racon
Forgive me for the slightly tangential post, but the fandom seemed a little more gay leaning in the early 2000's. A part of me dislikes how mainstream the fandom has gotten. Straight furs seem to have been edging out gay furs, if I were to go by anecdotal purview on the whole thing. I'm fully aware of how selfish and unpleasant it makes me sound, but I find the change unwelcome. Some time ago, I could rely on the fandom to be a societal inverse, where the majority of the media was catered to my interests and sexuality. It felt like a community that was largely on the same page as I. Where mainstream society liked to pretend I didn't exist, or worse, mock me. The fandom made me feel much the opposite. I enjoyed that inverse.

These days, it doesn't much feel like that, seems like straight furs will or are becoming the majority, and I find the change unfortunate. Not that I want to come off as unwelcoming to newcomers, but I am regretful that the fandom is losing something that had helped me endure how callous society could be.
That feeling of outcasts banding together to support each other just isn't as strong.

Sorry for the slightly grouchy post, heh. Came off a bit strong, I suppose there are worse things!
Might be just me, but I don’t really see the whole straights edging out others and what not. But that might also be because I’m not active in much communities outside of say this one due to my own spoiled tastes of experiences.

Only thing I can say is that I have noticed more “simping” as they call it recently, but that might be because that term became more popular, whereas before I wouldn’t of known that word existed.

But nonetheless that’s still a valid feeling, I kind of enjoy being able to know there are lots of other gays out there, and not be surrounded by straights, to put that as nicely as I can. If I wanted that I’d just go outside.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage

That feeling of outcasts banding together to support each other just isn't as strong, and realizing that, is rather melancholic.

I think this is a little dramatic, to be blunt about it. This coming from a heavily Homoromantic individual. While minority will always statistically be minority, being gay is a hell of a lot more accepted than it was in the early 2000's and the amount of support groups, communities, and other such things available that exist for the LGBTQ+ is pretty abundant nowadays. You don't need an Art community whose main focus was never LGBTQ+ to start catering to you and only you. Not in the sense that it's selfish (which it is,) but because you literally don't need it nowadays. It would serve no benefit, and would alienate others from the art community for seemingly no reason.

I find this overall attitude towards Heterosexual people to be surprisingly cruel for someone in a fandom that is heavily promoting of acceptance and being yourself. I don't see them as any less welcome, and I don't see them "edging out the gays" as you put it. A majority of artistic content is still pretty heccin' gay. Some of that heccin-gay art is done by straight artists, btw. lol.

It's also extremely hypocritical, because if the same statement was made by a straight person about the gay side of things, I'm sure many would feel offended. Alas, the double-standards are strong in those that feel entitled. As for Straight furs being the majority, based on polls taken pretty recently, I'd say you don't have to worry about that either. A large majority of Furries still tend to show up as Gay Males, second only to Bisexual Males.

Tldr; The fandom hasn't lost anything. Stop being an asshole to your fellow community members for being different than you.
They can't flip a switch and be gay to make you feel better.

Last edited:

KimberVaile

I think this is a little dramatic, to be blunt about it. This coming from a heavily Homoromantic individual. While minority will always statistically be minority, being gay is a hell of a lot more accepted than it was in the early 2000's and the amount of support groups, communities, and other such things available that exist for the LGBTQ+ is pretty abundant nowadays. You don't need an Art community whose main focus was never LGBTQ+ to start catering to you and only you. Not in the sense that it's selfish (which it is,) but because you literally don't need it nowadays. It would serve no benefit, and would alienate others from the art community for seemingly no reason.

I find this overall attitude towards Heterosexual people to be surprisingly cruel for someone in a fandom that is heavily promoting of acceptance and being yourself. I don't see them as any less welcome, and I don't see them "edging out the gays" as you put it. A majority of artistic content is still pretty heccin' gay. Some of that heccin-gay art is done by straight artists, btw. lol.

And? It does not change that mainstream society is primarily geared towards heterosexuals. I seeked the fandom to escape that aspect and to enjoy feeling like the majority for once. This space in it's inception, did lean a certain way and did alot to cater to those who were considered outcasts. You can speak for yourself easily I'm sure, but my perspective is evidently different. Of course, I don't need media and content to cater to me, per se. But, it's nice when it does. For a minority to feel like a majority in a space is a very welcome feeling. It does bother me quite a bit that mainstream content is primarily geared towards straight people, it does alot to make me feel excluded. Whether you find that a valid concern or not, it is a valid concern to me, in particular. It was a large part of why I found so much solace in the fandom.

I prefaced my feeling as being selfish and in a way, unpleasant, though I did not remark on how straights need to feel unwelcome. There is a gulf of difference from say, an anxious post rambling about the possibility of becoming a minority again in a traditionally gay space, and vehemently crusading against straight people. I find the idea of no longer feeling like a majority again, very unhappy to me personally. I have acknowledged the sentiments these are exclusionary feelings when you get down to them, these concerns are not noble by any means. But they are still concerns.

If ya want to make it out into a desire for actively removing straight people or wanting them all forcibly evicted, you do you I guess. They have a right to be there as anybody else, doesn't mean I don't have concerns and worries.

It's also extremely hypocritical, because if the same statement was made by a straight person about the gay side of things, I'm sure many would feel offended. Alas, the double-standards are strong in those that feel entitled. As for Straight furs being the majority, based on polls taken pretty recently, I'd say you don't have to worry about that either. A large majority of Furries still tend to show up as Gay Males, second only to Bisexual Males.

Tldr; The fandom hasn't lost anything. Stop being an asshole to your fellow community members for being different than you.
They can't flip a switch and be gay to make you feel better.

I laid out my concerns prefacing it was selfish, but here you are, sounding off your vociferous outrage over it. Is it entitled to want my own space that has content to caters to me like mainstream society does for straights? Perhaps so, I'm just interested in having my own space like straights have their own. If you wish to turn that into entitlement for the crime of wanting an equivalent space, go at it.

I legitimately find it unfair that mainstream society primarily caters to straight people at the expense of gays, and I like the spaces that let me feel like how straight people do, at the core.
So yes, in some ways, I am frustrated, but if you want to take those concerns and rave like a madman about how I desire to exclude non-gays, I can't stop you. By some unfathomable stretch of logic, I am being excessively hostile to straights by having worries about changes within the fandom. That the possibility exists to have things reverse and things could begin to get worse again for gays. Somehow I shouldn't worry at all about that? Yeah, let me just purge my concerns for you, I'll snap my fingers and as easy as one, two, three, I'm no longer concerned about what bad things could happen if gays become a minority. So easy. Why didn't I do that earlier?
What I worry about and what I actually want to happen are pretty different.

Last edited:

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
And? It does not change that mainstream society is primarily geared towards heterosexuals.

Because society is growing, and in the not-so-distant past anything other than the heteronormative was considered a mental disorder. You cannot hate Heterosexuals for being what they are in the same way they cannot hate people who aren't heterosexual. Furthermore, blaming Heterosexuals for a Society that is still improving over time isn't fair. The frustration is justified, but it doesn't need to be directed at anyone other than the cause of it.

I seeked the fandom to escape that aspect and to enjoy feeling like the majority for once. This space in it's inception, did lean a certain way and did alot to cater to those who were considered outcasts. You can speak for yourself easily I'm sure, but my perspective is evidently different.

I'm not saying that escapism is bad. Many Furries use the fandom for escape, it's just that admitting to using it as an escape, and wanting your escape to exclude specific types of people, is two different things. I don't think I should have to explain why it's wrong, nor will I go on in great detail about it.

Whether you find that a valid concern or not, it is a valid concern to me, in particular. It was a large part of why I found so much solace in the fandom.

I agree with you to a degree, but I find my "fix" for LGBTQ+ content all the same; books and media, now more than ever, are including more and more themes catering to the community of gay and trans and everything in between. Asexuality, even, is becoming a more topical thing to include. I think that times are changing at a rapid pace, and it's important to be grateful for that, instead of acting like things are still the same as they were in 2001. They can only get better from here. If anything it's almost common to see at least one gay couple or person, in any form of media.

If ya want to make it out into a desire for actively removing straight people or wanting them all forcibly evicted, you do you I guess. They have a right to be there as anybody else, doesn't mean I don't have concerns and worries.

I think that it's important to recognize that if one had statistics to back up one's statement, it could be seen as a logical conclusion. You do not have this, and so the conclusion is (by your own admittance) purely emotional, and an irrational statement based on experiences that no longer hold up in the modern day can very well be perceived as mildly spiteful at best. Forgive me if I've misunderstood the context of your original post.

I laid out my concerns prefacing it was selfish, but here you are, sounding off your vociferous outrage over it.

I Wouldn't call it "outrage" so much as mild annoyance. I see a lot of double standards, and I dislike them by default due to the fact that they place walls and separations where there need not be any.

Is it entitled to want my own space that has content to caters to me like mainstream society does for straights?

By definition? Yes.
Does that make it wrong? Not entirely, but it depends on how you word things. Which is where I think tact is needed.
But allow me to go further, stating that "Straights" as you put it, didn't ask for society to cater to them. That's simply what was culturally accepted during human evolution. Twenty years from now, it might be more balanced, based on how media has been currently evolving. No one asked for a certain type of media or message to flourish, they just created what they wanted to, or what would sell. Right now, homosexual content in media is selling. So that media will be produced. It's as simple as that.

I legitimately find it unfair that mainstream society primarily caters to straight people at the expense of gays, and I like the spaces that let me feel like how straight people do, at the core.

I think that it shouldn't really matter, but I also don't define myself based on how atypical I am compared to society. If I can enjoy what the media is without focusing on what the characters identify as, I will. That being said, if I want to read lesbian romance, I'll do that to - and gain something from both. I think that it's important to find spaces you're comfortable in, sure, but I also think it's important that you do not define yourself on one aspect. It prevents your ability to be comfortable in any situation, and more than that, it prevents you from being able to find comfort in yourself.

but if you want to take those concerns and rave like a madman

You seem very offended.
Perhaps I too, could have worded things better, but I still stand by my statements. I'm sorry if they hurt you.

That the possibility exists to have things reverse and things could begin to get worse again for gays.

That's not exactly a rational expectation, is it?
It sounds more like paranoia to me.

Yeah, let me just purge my concerns for you, I'll snap my fingers and as easy as one, two, three, I'm no longer concerned about what bad things could happen if gays become a minority. So easy. Why didn't I do that earlier?
What I worry about and what I actually want to happen are pretty different.

At this point you're being emotional so I won't comment further. I never asked you to change how you felt, just to look at it and recognize why it could be seen as wrong - and why it was unfair to people who didn't identify the same as you did. Is that so hard to grasp?

KimberVaile

Because society is growing, and in the not-so-distant past anything other than the heteronormative was considered a mental disorder. You cannot hate Heterosexuals for being what they are in the same way they cannot hate people who aren't heterosexual. Furthermore, blaming Heterosexuals for a Society that is still improving over time isn't fair. The frustration is justified, but it doesn't need to be directed at anyone other than the cause of it.

I don't hate them for it. Nor do I blame them for it, but it is the primary reason as to why I enjoy the fandom for being gay leaning. It makes me feel less excluded and more welcomed. I mentioned it to remark on why I feel it meant something to me that the fandom leaned gay.

I'm not saying that escapism is bad. Many Furries use the fandom for escape, it's just that admitting to using it as an escape, and wanting your escape to exclude specific types of people, is two different things. I don't think I should have to explain why it's wrong, nor will I go on in great detail about it.

I wouldn't actively want to exclude people, straight or not. The intent of my response was to voice concerns I had. Concerns that, yes, do lead to some fears I have. Fears do not always follow rational thought, nor do I claim my concerns follow any rational thought. Emotions by their nature can often be illogical. This, I willfully will admit.

I agree with you to a degree, but I find my "fix" for LGBTQ+ content all the same; books and media, now more than ever, are including more and more themes catering to the community of gay and trans and everything in between. Asexuality, even, is becoming a more topical thing to include. I think that times are changing at a rapid pace, and it's important to be grateful for that, instead of acting like things are still the same as they were in 2001. They can only get better from here. If anything it's almost common to see at least one gay couple or person, in any form of media.
I don't have a good answer to my concerns. For a while I've just been looking to the fandom for it. Is it possible things reverse? Dunno. The current situation is less extreme than it was then, and yes, improved but then, the idea of knowing that I will always be a minority by a vast margin does eat at me. So, the fandom always seemed to be the answer for that. Will the fandom change and leave gays behind eventually? I hope not, but I admit, in a worst case scenario, it could potentially happen. Granted, my perspective is biased, the experiences I had gave me reason to fear at the very least. I would acknowledge this colors my perspective.

I think that it's important to recognize that if one had statistics to back up one's statement, it could be seen as a logical conclusion. You do not have this, and so the conclusion is (by your own admittance) purely emotional, and an irrational statement based on experiences that no longer hold up in the modern day can very well be perceived as mildly spiteful at best. Forgive me if I've misunderstood the context of your original post.

I've never denied this was anything but my emotions. A couple surveys show something of an even spread or with Bi being the leading sexuality. I believe I mentioned this was anecdotal, concern based on just what I have seen. Concerns and fears, as they were, aren't often dictated by logic thought. I am not sure if I mentioned it in my initial reply, but that was something I had wished to convey early on. Logic dictates otherwise, but, it doesn't dispel anxious feelings about what could lie in the future for gays. Or, what awful things could happen where we to lose our voice here. The fears are not logical, but, they are consuming at times.

By definition? Yes.
Does that make it wrong? Not entirely, but it depends on how you word things. Which is where I think tact is needed.
But allow me to go further, stating that "Straights" as you put it, didn't ask for society to cater to them. That's simply what was culturally accepted during human evolution. Twenty years from now, it might be more balanced, based on how media has been currently evolving. No one asked for a certain type of media or message to flourish, they just created what they wanted to, or what would sell. Right now, homosexual content in media is selling. So that media will be produced. It's as simple as that.

The action of creating equality in an unequal world is quite common. The intent is not always derived from entitlement, but at times a protective action.
Things progressing as things naturally would does not always lead to a wholly happy society. Humanity is naturally inclined towards heterosexuality, yes. It is natural, thus, nobody specifically asked that they have their interests catered to in that regard. Of course, human society also evolved into systems of feudalism where a good majority of people spent the majority of their lives farming crops for nobility and generally lived miserable, short lives. It's natural in a way, human society naturally looks towards some form of leadership. Though, hardly fair if you ask me.

I think that it shouldn't really matter, but I also don't define myself based on how atypical I am compared to society. If I can enjoy what the media is without focusing on what the characters identify as, I will. That being said, if I want to read lesbian romance, I'll do that to - and gain something from both. I think that it's important to find spaces you're comfortable in, sure, but I also think it's important that you do not define yourself on one aspect. It prevents your ability to be comfortable in any situation, and more than that, it prevents you from being able to find comfort in yourself.

I find everything has a balance. There's a great deal of media I enjoy, in spite of the characters not being much like me, I suppose what isn't so fun, is that when I would prefer to indulge in something that is closer to me in sexuality and outlook, the search is more difficult, the variation less rich and so on. Which at times makes it feel as if I'm not supposed to be seeking these things out at all. That I shouldn't deviate so much in the first place. That is not to say How I feel is logical, just that the emotions of it nag at me at times. I acknowledge that what you are saying is true, and I would agree. Finding more self indulgent fiction is something of a pick me up when I'm not feeling the best. The scales are a little imbalanced at times in this regard. Sometimes it nags at me when I'm not feeling the best.

You seem very offended.
Perhaps I too, could have worded things better, but I still stand by my statements. I'm sorry if they hurt you.

A bit irritated with how some parts of your reply came out as aggressive, admittedly. I apologize for that remark. I did feel you were painting my reply to be much worse than it was. I don't think I was coming from any sort of entitled intent, just more worry I suppose.

That's not exactly a rational expectation, is it?
It sounds more like paranoia to me.

Emotions aren't always logical. Logically it is not likely, but with the experiences I had, it's difficult to simply whisk away such concerns unfortunately. If I had the capability to do so, I would have already done so. It is what it is.

At this point you're being emotional so I won't comment further. I never asked you to change how you felt, just to look at it and recognize why it could be seen as wrong - and why it was unfair to people who didn't identify the same as you did. Is that so hard to grasp?

I've recognized it was unfair during the initial post, that my emotional concerns should not result in any action. Merely that I worried and had concerns. As they are emotions and thus, inherently, not logical or any implication of what should be acted upon. My initial reply, was emotional, motivated by concern and insecurity, so on. To see it as an attempt at excluding straight is, far from what I was conveying. I would believe I made it clear my initial reply was largely an anecdotal emotional concern. Granted, I don't often express my emotions this openly.

Anywho. I would ask the same of you, is that so hard to grasp?

Regardless, I apologize if the remark seemed pointed. It was, wary, certainly, but I had not meant it to be pointed and accusatory towards straights. Alot of that was a fear of losing the space and thus the voice to say anything. Emotions are not usually rational. I made an emotional reply. I can't take back the emotional-ness of the reply. But, I'm also not going to apologize for having moments of weakness and letting out some emotions. Just apologize if the emotions were at any point unfairly directed at you.

Last edited:

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Just apologize if the emotions were at any point unfairly directed at you.

They weren't.

But, let's get off of the negative for a bit. I said I'd stop responding to the above debate and I will, but that doesn't mean I can't attempt to offer assistance. You mentioned struggling with finding LGBTQ+ media. Do you like to read? I've seen this book get a lot of great reviews, it sort of genderbends the original myth, but allegedly it is very good. I haven't gotten the chance to read it yet, but I've been meaning to. You might like it as well: Click here

Unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with male-centered stories (as you might guess, I'm not a fan of male hardware) but Goodreads does a great job at listing hundreds of books (actually over 20,000 - both SFW and Erotic) with this content as well. It might be worth looking into: Click Here

When it comes to TV Shows and Movies, I don't usually watch TV so I unfortunately wouldn't be able to recommend much. If you're a fan of cartoons, Steven Universe is apparently pretty darn gay. I've also seen it get brought up into cartoons like The Owl House, Shera, or Voltron. There was also a show called Lost Girl that grouped lady love with supernatural elements and I heard it was pretty awesome. I'm sure some of the above was already known about, assuming you scratched the surface of gay media, but hopefully at least some of this might help out. If not you, then someone else.

I'm not sure whether the furry fandom has ever been majority gay, actually.

1. Wikipedia is never a good source but I'll provide it anyway - Click
2. Then there is fur science - Click
3. There's this research project - Click

Amongst other random projects and statistics collected over the years.
Including on the FAF forums, or the old ones anyway.
I'm not sure if they carried over with the host change.

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
@KimberVaile, I love you as a friend, and being emotional is perfectly okay. Emotions can and will be irrational/illogical, and arguably no one here would fault you for it. You have thousands upon thousands of people who would defend the space you fear losing, myself included, if that space were ever actually threatened. So I would from my perspective at least say you have very little to fear in that regard.

As for the media thing, LGBT as a demographic is always going to be a minority which will result in less media in total. It is unfortunate in some aspects for those who want such media to exist in bigger numbers.