• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Survey - Orientation and furries in general

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
Genuinely, for the first time here, I felt like I'm somewhere I shouldn't be. That who I am is frowned upon. And I greatly realize that what I'm feeling is what the majority of the fandom has felt in society / their daily lives.

I'm female, straight, joined this site a year ago and thus became more active in the fandom.
I joined for a myriad of reasons, a few predominant ones being:

1) Enjoyment of the art and anthropomorphic animals (something I've enjoyed my entire life, wondering why my kindergarten friends would choose to be human when we played make-believe.)
2) Being part of a group of fellow “outcasts” who may not fit in or feel comfortable in the social 'norm' of society.
3) Meeting people with different views and opinions that can widen my own horizons.

I did not join because the fandom is becoming popular. Actually, everywhere I've been, “furry” is a word met with a lot of eyerolls and harsh teasing. I love that this site (and fandom) is a place for everyone: disabled, on the spectrum, social anxiety sufferers, LGBTQ+, and anyone else that shares this very broad interest. I would be so bummed if I couldn't participate just because I'm straight. Without being too dramatic, this site and the fandom is pretty important to me and I feel like I would become a rather listless without it.

Sometimes fears and concerns are irrational and of course, they're still valid.
A very, very poor comparison would be how much I dislike how Avatar, Star Wars, and the many other mergers have replaced some of the unique places of the Disney World park. I still love Star Wars and the other franchises and can appreciate them but it's just not what it used to be and now there are so many other types of fans piling in to Disney World. I know, I know.. I did say it was a poor comparison..

I promise I'm not coming to push out all non-heterosexual people out of the fandom.
Please don't hate me..

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
They weren't.

But, let's get off of the negative for a bit. I said I'd stop responding to the above debate and I will, but that doesn't mean I can't attempt to offer assistance. You mentioned struggling with finding LGBTQ+ media. Do you like to read? I've seen this book get a lot of great reviews, it sort of genderbends the original myth, but allegedly it is very good. I haven't gotten the chance to read it yet, but I've been meaning to. You might like it as well: Click here

Unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with male-centered stories (as you might guess, I'm not a fan of male hardware) but Goodreads does a great job at listing hundreds of books (actually over 20,000 - both SFW and Erotic) with this content as well. It might be worth looking into: Click Here

When it comes to TV Shows and Movies, I don't usually watch TV so I unfortunately wouldn't be able to recommend much. If you're a fan of cartoons, Steven Universe is apparently pretty darn gay. I've also seen it get brought up into cartoons like The Owl House, Shera, or Voltron. There was also a show called Lost Girl that grouped lady love with supernatural elements and I heard it was pretty awesome. I'm sure some of the above was already known about, assuming you scratched the surface of gay media, but hopefully at least some of this might help out. If not you, then someone else.

1. Wikipedia is never a good source but I'll provide it anyway - Click
2. Then there is fur science - Click
3. There's this research project - Click

Amongst other random projects and statistics collected over the years.
Including on the FAF forums, or the old ones anyway.
I'm not sure if they carried over with the host change.

I like to read when I have a moment, so I appreciate the recommendations. I admit I could make more of an effort, so at the very least, you've given me a good base to jump off of.

I suppose my largest gripe with media portraying gays is they they're usually side characters. Though it is nice that they are included at all. I could probably stand to expand my experience with it. I do appreciate the effort on your part. I could probably stand to put in the work to find more of what I'm wanting too.

@KimberVaile, I love you as a friend, and being emotional is perfectly okay. Emotions can and will be irrational/illogical, and arguably no one here would fault you for it. You have thousands upon thousands of people who would defend the space you fear losing, myself included, if that space were ever actually threatened. So I would from my perspective at least say you have very little to fear in that regard.

As for the media thing, LGBT as a demographic is always going to be a minority which will result in less media in total. It is unfortunate in some aspects for those who want such media to exist in bigger numbers.

Thank you Yaka. I appreciate the support. It was mostly just a comment made at the culmination of an already stressful day. Don't worry.

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
Genuinely, for the first time here, I felt like I'm somewhere I shouldn't be. That who I am is frowned upon. And I greatly realize that what I'm feeling is what the majority of the fandom has felt in society / their daily lives.

I'm female, straight, joined this site a year ago and thus became more active in the fandom.

1) Enjoyment of the art and anthropomorphic animals (something I've enjoyed my entire life, wondering why my kindergarten friends would choose to be human when we played make-believe.)
2) Being part of a group of fellow “outcasts” who may not fit in or feel comfortable in the social 'norm' of society.
3) Meeting people with different views and opinions that can widen my own horizons.

I did not join because the fandom is becoming popular. Actually, everywhere I've been, “furry” is a word met with a lot of eyerolls and harsh teasing. I love that this site (and fandom) is a place for everyone: disabled, on the spectrum, social anxiety sufferers, LGBTQ+, and anyone else that shares this very broad interest. I would be so bummed if I couldn't participate just because I'm straight. Without being too dramatic, this site and the fandom is pretty important to me and I feel like I would become a rather listless without it.

A very, very poor comparison would be how much I dislike how Avatar, Star Wars, and the many other mergers have replaced some of the unique places of the Disney World park. I still love Star Wars and the other franchises and can appreciate them but it's just not what it used to be and now there are so many other types of fans piling in to Disney World. I know, I know.. I did say it was a poor comparison..

I promise I'm not coming to push out all non-heterosexual people out of the fandom.
Please don't hate me..
I think most gays won't have an issue with you at all. Nor do I. Most of my concerns are just minor fears that should have been buried a while ago. Not all gay people are the same, most probably won't have the same worries I do. I'm just an outlier in this regard, largely just worrying about things that I shouldn't anyways. At the end of day, I usually just laugh at how nonsensical the fear is. Nobody hates you, and I understand where you are coming from. Please do not worry over what I have to say on the matter. The fandom is many different things to many different people at the end of the day.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage

Please don't hate me..

This, is essentially, why I responded the way I had above.
It doesn't feel good to feel unwanted, no matter how you identify.

I don't think you're unwelcome, the majority of the fandom - statistically - has been proven to be majority Bisexual with Homosexuality being second and heterosexual being a close third (by just a few percentages). I posted some statistical examples above, if you'd like to review that. If you consider Bisexuality to be wholly "gay" (as some people do,) then Hetero Furs are in the Minority but if you consider them to be apart of both sides (as they by definition are) then you're of an amount of female members who like le males.

I wouldn't worry too much about the side-arguments and peanut throwing. Everyone has their own opinions and not everyone will agree on what is and isn't allowed, but one thing this fandom has ALWAYS stood for is being yourself, being creative, and having fun. If you focus on that...everything else will fall into place.

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
Thank you Yaka. I appreciate the support. It was mostly just a comment made at the culmination of an already stressful day. Don't worry.
"Mostly". :p

We all have our bad days so I wouldn't fret over it.

LameFox

I wouldn't worry about it honestly. In my experience if you were to count on your fingers everyone you meet who is genuinely bothered by straight furries it might take years to get to your other hand. Even when it does happen, it's rarely personal.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I wouldn't worry about it honestly. In my experience if you were to count on your fingers everyone you meet who is genuinely bothered by straight furries it might take years to get to your other hand. Even when it does happen, it's rarely personal.

I think in general, people who hate straight people may have had bad parents or simply hate living itself. Mostly because well, more than likely they're born from them. As far as hating them. It is trendy in some cases to "straight hate" in a social group however, but honestly hating on straight people will benefit nobody.

oappo

Not to be the wet blanket here, but I wouldn't consider this to be too accurate considering the sample size and where it was posted. Forums tend to attract a certain type of people. I also remember seeing another poll where there was a surprising number of straight people. Not an overwhelming majority or anything, but certainly higher than 12%. So there's that contradiction too.

That said, it would be terribly unsurprising if those proportions were fairly accurate.

Last edited:

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Not to be the wet blanket here, but I wouldn't consider this to be too accurate considering the sample size and where it was posted. Forums tend to attract a certain type of people. I also remember seeing another poll where there was a surprising number of straight people. Not an overwhelming majority or anything, but certainly higher than 12%. So there's that contradiction too.

That said, it would be terribly unsurprising if those proportions were fairly accurate.

A very good point. A survey that isn't open to the public on a large scale, or given various platforms to be taken on, will likely not yield very conclusive evidence.
This is why I listed multiple articles versus just one.

ConorHyena

nazi hunter
Most surveys I remember that were undertaken on this came out with the majority of the fandom being queer, but straights being the largest singular group, afaik it was around 1/3 streyts to 2/3 queer.

Afaik someone also did an analysis of all the lewd uploads on FA and found out most of them were streyt stuff too. But I need to go back and find this info somewhere.

Undertaking surveys is a bit of a hairy task, and rquires more than just the creation of a poll for it to be representative. We see this in the real world that it's surprisingly hard to get good statistics on stuff. In my opinion, simple polls like this need to be interpreted with great care - they do not necessarily mean anything.

I think in general, people who hate straight people may have had bad parents or simply hate living itself. Mostly because well, more than likely they're born from them. As far as hating them. It is trendy in some cases to "straight hate" in a social group however, but honestly hating on straight people will benefit nobody.

... doesn't this apply to any sort of hatred directed at people solely because they're a member of a group?

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Identity is also just a hard thing to survey due to things like sexuality being ultimately fluid, and many people changing how they identify as over the course of just a few years.

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
Undertaking surveys is a bit of a hairy task, and rquires more than just the creation of a poll for it to be representative. We see this in the real world that it's surprisingly hard to get good statistics on stuff. In my opinion, simple polls like this need to be interpreted with great care - they do not necessarily mean anything.
To be pedantic, it means that x% of respondents are currently IDing as a given response. And that's all you can really interpret from it, but it can be used to find trends worth pursuing more. A disproportionately high number of trans folks would be worth pursuing as one would expect a low percentage based on overall society. Fully straight responses would violate what can be determined from observation. What you're getting at is "response bias" and is why volunteer surveys are basically useless (think why ratings are either 5 stars or 1 star on things, no one rates products that are "just okay."). Unfortunately, volunteer surveys are regularly reported as fact. Couple that with leading questions, and I can get a survey to tell you whatever you want*

To properly do this you'd need to know the total number of furries, determine how to get a full cross section of not more than 10% of that number, then develop a survey which captured enough responses that people could choose correctly, but not have so many responses there's too many data points to draw conclusions.

Broadly speaking my poll elsewhere implied 1/3 straight, 1/3 bi, 1/3 the rest of the rainbow, and overall was heavily cis-male. Women were largely bi or straight, very few lesbians.

*A good example of this was a frequently cited recommendation that bacon was a healthy breakfast food. They got this by asking "Is it healthy to eat bacon for breakfast or nothing for breakfast?" Something is better than nothing, so broadly doctors said yes. However, the critical second half got dropped in the advertising. Keep this in mind whenever there's a survey saying "X% of political party you don't like like has this outrageous view"