• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Survey - Orientation and Species

sleepy kitty

frisky feline
For some reason, I can't select any of the answers. And is it supposed to open in Google Docs?

sleepy kitty

frisky feline
If you can get it to open in the google docs ap, it'll probably work there. You can always just post your responses here and I can enter them.
It opened in google docs, but still I cannot select, so...

1.) House cat
2.) Cis female
3.) Asexual
4.) True
5.) True

Okapij Johnstonio

I like interesting data with no practical use, so I'm collecting some. Linked below is a quiz asking your fursona's species, gender, and orientation. I want to know if there's any manner of correlation. So I need responses. Please fill out the form below, should take you a couple minutes at most. There's 21 species options, plus a fill in, 6 gender options and 5 orientation options. With any luck I got 90% of you.

Note:
For hybrid species, please choose the dominant one. So all you Folf's ask "Am I more fox or more wolf."

Ooooh, this is cool! I also enjoy "interesting data with no practical use" :D
I do inquire if there is a correlation at any degree? I have been interested in how one's fursona(s) reflects their own gender identity/orientation. I anticipate the results!
Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is a "Protogen?"

Jackpot Raccuki

Although half canine, is not a wolf.
Start suvery.
No Raccoon or Tanuki option.
Day ruined.

Submitted, although answered it as just Raccoon for simplicity.

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
Ooooh, this is cool! I also enjoy "interesting data with no practical use" :D
I do inquire if there is a correlation at any degree? I have been interested in how one's fursona(s) reflects their own gender identity/orientation. I anticipate the results!
Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is a "Protogen?"
1618589727253.png

They're a popular made up species.

Ziggy Schlacht

The Results
To begin with, I did a little bit of editing on the data. Any hybrid species got changed to whatever species was listed first - so wolf/shark became wolf and similar. I had to knock out a few entries. I also both didn't have enough species (sorry deer, raccoons, hyenas), and had too many. 100 total entries spanned 36 species entries, so in short no one species cropped up enough to draw any statistically relevant conclusions. Though honestly, I didn't really plan out the categories to be broad and evenly spread, so really none of that was going to be statistically correct, nor does a volunteer survey count as accurately representative of anything beyond the people who responded (take heed any time you hear "according to survey" in a news article).

Rambling aside, some summaries

The Summary
By and large, Fursona's match the gender identity (85%) and orientation (90%) of the creator. Meaning this data can be largely extrapolated to the population at large, given that there are multiple folks who have multiple Fursona's - one that matches, and one that doesn't.

Top Species (Top "10")
1. Wolf (9)
2. Fox (7)
2. Wild Cat (Large) (7)
2. Domestic Canine (7)
2. House Cat (7)
3. Lizard/Reptile (6)
4. Rabbit/Hare (5)
4. Dragon (5)
4. Raccoon (5)
5. Mouse/Rodent (4)

60% of the entries are represented by these 10 species. And they are exactly what you expect.

Orientation
1. Bisexual (29%)
2. Heterosexual (23%)
3. Pansexual (19%)
4. Homosexual (15%)
5. Asexual (14%)

Conclusion - straight people are not the majority, it seems y'all want to get it any way you can. Now, when you look at gender:

2. Cis Female (23%)
3. Gender Fluid (9%)
4. Agender (7%)
5. Trans-Male (5%)
6. Trans-Female (2%)

So, it appears that this is basically a sausage fest of guys who aren't particular if they get sausage or taco, given that only 12 were heterosexual and 2 were ace, and then 12 were gay. So that leaves just over half as pan or bi. Women were a lot less gay, with 10 heterosexual and 5 ace. There were no homosexual cis women who responded.

Conclusions: Gay art drifts to the top because grabbing any random furry is going to result in them liking men. Whereas lesbian art is nowhere near as likely to be successful. So draw more dicks?

The Analysis

So, can I draw any conclusions? Well, let's go with some stereotypes:

Foxes are gay
Of the cis male foxes, one was straight, one was gay, one was bi and one was pan. So really not abnormal compared to regular population. For the female side of the spectrum, not much different. Conclusion: They're not exclusively gay, but they're probably stretchy.

Mice are gay
What's with the stereotypes that [insert species] is gay? In any case, no good data here too, running the spectrum again.

Bunnies are gay
So, much more playing with gay than actually gay. The only straight response was also agender, the rest was on the spectrum.

Wolves are all guys
I could probably draw a stronger conclusion that "wolves are gay" over "wolves are guys" seeing as of the 7 male wolves (all cis) only 1 was straight. Everyone else was bi or pan.

Atypical Species are Atypical Genders
100% of the protogen responses were agender. So with my 1 datapoint I can extrapolate it to absolutely nothing.

Conclusions: Not enough data to draw any real conclusions. Looking are other species (i.e. deer, big cats, and so on) didn't show any trends either. To get more than this, I'd probably need 1000 datapoints to get enough of one species to get anything. Though from what little I have, I'm guessing it's unlikely that there's a solid trend for any singular species.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I think you would've need to have left the survey open for much longer to get a larger pool to work with.
But honestly, the main "Furries are gay" conclusion isn't too far off.

Eremurus

live long, and prosper
Can you post the results for all species? Not just top 10. I want to see how they all compare.

Ziggy Schlacht

I think you would've need to have left the survey open for much longer to get a larger pool to work with.
But honestly, the main "Furries are gay" conclusion isn't too far off.
Missed this - I got 100 responses, and 95 of them were in the first 4 days. So it was open as long as seemed relevant. I'd need a lot of spread to get anything useful, I was aware, but this was more an exercise in "I wonder" than anything scientific.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Missed this - I got 100 responses, and 95 of them were in the first 4 days. So it was open as long as seemed relevant. I'd need a lot of spread to get anything useful, I was aware, but this was more an exercise in "I wonder" than anything scientific.

Ah ~ I didn't realize how many responses were received. My bad!

Eremurus

live long, and prosper
Basically nothing else was interesting, it was all onesie-twosies on a wide gamut. I don't have a super good way to show everything.

Alright, well, thank you for doing this anyway. I found it interesting.

Hurray for the more...unique species?

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
Just done a submission myself, curious to see the results....

And just found out I was too late... nevermind. Going to read the results now.

Sam Akuchin Wamm

in my experience most furries are straight women in their 30's and 40's.

however, fur affinity is wildly different.