• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Tabletop gaming.

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
Dude, this is three threads in seven minutes. They have less words combined than a fucking Twitter post.

Slow it down a bit.

Punnchy

Feed Me Pizza
Does anyone here play tabletop games, such as D&D or Warhammer 4k? I've just started to get into D&D lately.

This is a thread that I see so very rarely on forums. I'm glad someone brought it up.

No, I don't play DnD or 40k, but once upon a time I played War machine before I realized that it was a money and time sink. That's the problem I have with some table top games, you can only do so much with them. without breaking the bank.

As for the games I do play or have played recently:

Risk Legacy we're only on game 2 of 15 for the campaign and what not, and the first game took two sittings because someone wanted to play it like a game of world domination.

Seven Wonders I really like this game and would currently consider it my favorite. I'm usually able to win it, and it's a nice resource management game that my friends don't mind playing.

I also have: Dominion, Ascension, Heroes of Graxia, Zombie Dice, Carcassonne, Heroquest (1989), S.p.a.n.c., Greed Quest, and I think that about rounds it out.

Nashida

She do a blep
I frequently play D&D. I've tried to get into Vampire: the Masquerade but I had trouble with that as the focus is all on story-telling and little on combat.

There's a game club that meets at one of my favorite bars out here. Twice a week we get together and play games. Usually the classic standbys are Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, and Pandemic.

Minako2012

Unapologetic fangirl.
I play DnD and sometimes Mutants and Masterminds...I've been trying to find a d20 based Steampunk game...I hate the d6 system.

I rather like tabletop gaming but I HATE HATE HATE my GM and revel in destroying his ideas with a well laid trap or great crit rolls.

ADF

I've been curious about them, but the problem with tabletop games is you need other people and my friends are scattered around quite a distance. We meet online most of the week and a couple of hours in person on Wednesdays. Hardly a suitable schedule to play.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
I'll be starting a high-level pathfinder campaign soon. I'm planning on being a Dragon Disciple like a true furry.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Not sure if it counts specifically as table top since it's mostly straight role playing, but I dig WoD Vampire the Masqurade/Mage The Ascension/Wraith The Oblivion and I've dabbled in DnD here and there, but mostly in a strictly role playing capacity and not so much in the table top combat. I'd like to learn DnD combat and WH40K (I ADORE the setting).

Punnchy

Feed Me Pizza
I've been curious about them, but the problem with tabletop games is you need other people and my friends are scattered around quite a distance. We meet online most of the week and a couple of hours in person on Wednesdays. Hardly a suitable schedule to play.

The solution to this is learn to hang out with people that you don't normally know, post an add on craigslist or find a gaming shop to play board games with.

Ramses

I played D&D all through college. It was the late 80s - way before my beloved Xbox RPGs were even born.

I was a chaotic good thief/rogue - during those college years - and an elf. I actually had the "crazy" idea of creating a wolf/human hybrid character, but my friends didn't know how to handle that, so they told me to be an elf instead.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Protip about people interested in Warhammer or Warhammer 40,000: Don't buy the models unless you either plan on operating in a GW store / other Hobby Shop for your games, or you enjoy the assembly and painting aspects as well. The models are hilariously overpriced (typically a 2,000 point army, which is medium-small average for Fantasy and medium-large average for 40,000, will run you ~$400-$700 USD), and the army books are going the same way with ~$50 hardbacks (mind, GW is absolutely terrible at business and charges the same for PDFs as the rulebooks, so if you aren't going to borrow a friend's copy just go with whatever you prefer). These armies, also, are prone to suffering from new rules every ~3-6 years (barring a handful) that can make vast swathes of your old army either less effective or outright no longer codex-viable. As such, well, I can't really suggest anyone actually buy the stuff, especially not at full price (via eBay or whatnot is something else entirely: You ever see a deal for something like "Unopened box of 6th Edition Metal Daemonettes, $5", buy that shit ASAP as you just hit your retirement fund). If you'll just be playing in a basement or kitchen or whatnot all you need is a few rulebooks and the movement trays / bases so as to know the approximate size of the regiments.

Again, this is for gaming purposes. When it comes to modeling and whatnot, they... can be interesting. I mean, a lot of them are hit or miss, but the hit are especially good (especially if you intend to use them for D&D and whatnot). I mean, look at this glorious bastard. The LotR miniatures are pretty nice too, including some kicking Viking proxies.

~ ~ ~

For D&D, I mostly stick to 2nd edition and 3.5. 1st Edition just has a few too many loopholes that need closing to be effective, and while many people lament it over 3rd I enjoy 3.5 overall. Pathfinder too, though it's a bit different from 3.5 (basically a streamlined 3.5 that makes a few thematic and subtle-but-effective mechanical changes). Also PnP that I enjoy is the Warhammer (40K) RPGs offered by Fantasy Flight (Note: The 2nd Edition Fantasy RPGs are much better than the 3rd Edition when it comes to PnP, 3rd is good in its own right but more a card game). It helps that every system basically meshes with one another so if you have a Deathwatch book and someone shows up with Only War they aren't completely lost.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
I'm already well aware of the cost issues involved with WH40K. X3 Thankfully there's a gaming store nearby my house that sells the models for 40% off what the Games Workshop place in the mall does, so it might not be to terribly painful. ;p Of course it's still gonna hurt for me because I want a Necron army and a Noise Marine themed one, neither of which is cheap, one for model count and the other for all the add on packs needed.

DrewlyYours

Buy the ticket, take the ride
so does monopoly count? Geek battle? Pass Out? That's as adventurous as it gets for me. Though if you're gonna play Pass Out with me you better have the liver of an Irish Sailor.

Punnchy

Feed Me Pizza
so does monopoly count? Geek battle? Pass Out? That's as adventurous as it gets for me. Though if you're gonna play Pass Out with me you better have the liver of an Irish Sailor.

No, I don't consider monopoly a table top game, because it's a family game, and not a game that requires some sort of thinking to play or anything besides a very basic set of math skills.

We're talking (I think) more games that are needing you to spend 10 minutes learning and 2 hrs playing. Games that last long enough everyone playing has to take a break of some sort.

Iudicium_86

Just another artist
Huge fan of Arkham Horror myself. I try to get in some nice game nights with friends and booze to play through the whole thing. We make a pretty good team. We even have custom characters printed out very professionally =D And for some added difficulty, I also made some more monsters lol.

DrewlyYours

Buy the ticket, take the ride
No, I don't consider monopoly a table top game, because it's a family game, and not a game that requires some sort of thinking to play or anything besides a very basic set of math skills.

We're talking (I think) more games that are needing you to spend 10 minutes learning and 2 hrs playing. Games that last long enough everyone playing has to take a break of some sort.

I don't think you realize how serious my friends and I get with our monopoly. OH and god help us if we bust out the RISK! It is risky business after all :V

Punnchy

Feed Me Pizza
Managed to get two games in tonight, one I will eventually own, being Small World the second being Agent of Smersh or something like that. I enjoyed both games equally but the second seemed to run a little long.

veeno

See ya latter ****ers.
I play Warhammer 40k every Saturday at my local comic book store

Oneiric

I used to play Warhammer 40.000 but it got way too expensive and when my basement flooded and I lost my entire Necron battle force and my ork army you know I was pissed.After that I was too devestated to even think about Warhammer so I guess I moved to playing Magic the Gathering. I tried an RPG game once called Z-Pocalypes where you have to try to survive a zombie apocalypse but I didn't get very far.

Dire Newt

I play Pathfinder every Sunday online using Roll20. I'm also looking to get into a local group that's forming to play D&D 3.5.