• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Tactics: Let's Conquer a Planet

Vikar

Passed the Turing Test
We can power a rocket but not make a baby? Seriously?

Alright, what do we need to collect?

Mass ratios prohibited you from bringing along the resources to make new stuff. You need carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and smaller quantities of some other elements. There are also no women on the ship that I can see.

Also, the new thread theme song.

Last edited:

Kommodore

well what is it?
But my way we can do both at once.

Al right then, to start I motion that we do what is necessary to collect some of the local's DNA, preferably a large sample size, and begin work on the virus and its delivery system.

I take it we have room to store extra genetic material on the ship? It is a scientific mission after all.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
Mass ratios prohibited you from bringing along the resources to make new stuff. You need carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and smaller quantities of some other elements.

Also, the new thread theme song.
Motion to kill our A.I. command for playing something so god awful anyone?
And those things aren't rare. Send some probes to get 100 babies worth to start in unpopulated areas.

Vikar

Passed the Turing Test
I take it we have room to store extra genetic material on the ship? It is a scientific mission after all.

You can indeed store extra genetic material. Especially since you can fully sequence genes in a few minutes, at the most.

I should note that you also have quantum computing.

And those things aren't rare. Send some probes to get 100 babies worth to start in unpopulated areas.

Your aVNs can move themselves. But they don't have the delta-v to decel from .1c, so you can't send them out until you actually reach the system. Your pVNs cannot really maneuver.

Truth

Al right then, to start I motion that we do what is necessary to collect some of the local's DNA, preferably a large sample size, and begin work on the virus and its delivery system.

Could you please quote for an accepted decision to make it easier to verify please? I can't remember how many people wanted to make the virus, nor who and I don't want to have to look through all the post to find out the latest reponse on the virus creation.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly

Aye. *raises hand*

Your aVNs can move themselves. But they don't have the delta-v to decel from .1c, so you can't send them out until you actually reach the system. Your pVNs cannot really maneuver.

Hmm. Guess we'll just have to get to the planet as soon as possible then, In the meantime scope out the best points for resource collection that would go unnoticed, and work on the virus and genetic sequencing

Two people voted "yes" to plan V from outer space.
Yes I realize how much I suck. Thank you O.P.I.E. program for making outdated references to the primitive 20th century. Besides that movie was made by capitalists.

Last edited:

Vikar

Passed the Turing Test
Hmm. Guess we'll just have to get to the planet as soon as possible then, In the meantime scope out the best points for resource collection that would go unnoticed, and work on the virus and genetic sequencing

The belt and the moons of the gas giant adjacent to it both contain large mineral reserves.

Also, would anyone like to venture names for the system and your starship?

Somebody also needs to design the bioweapon.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
The belt and the moons of the gas giant adjacent to it both contain large mineral reserves.

Also, would anyone like to venture names for the system and your starship?

Maybe I'm missing something. 'Bloweapon'? I guess I'll let Corto when he comes back.

And what do the natives call the planet and/or system? We call it that. We're already taken enough from them.

I vote that we call the ship, The Finney after the guy who wrote Invasion of the Bodysnatches.

Vikar

Passed the Turing Test
Preferably somebody with biotech expertise would do the designing, and I don't think Corto has that.

The natives call the planet a word that loosely translates as "shipwreck".

Kommodore

well what is it?
Maybe I'm missing something. 'Bloweapon'? I guess I'll let Corto when he comes back.

Yes, we are creating a virus with the intention of wiping out the natives. That is a bioweapon.

In order for it to be effective it not only needs to have the highest morality rate possible (for obvious reason) but it also need a very long incubation period. On the order of a month or so. The reason for this is simple: the host will act as a carrier of the virus for a very long time before he shows any symptoms of having it. By the time the first reports come in of a plague it should have spread very far indeed. The longer we can make the incubation period, the more easily it will spread. So perhaps longer than a month.

We need to run models on how far it will spread with an incubation period of length 'x' and pick the time that maximizes the spread of the virus.

Additionally, the virus must have a high mutation rate but still have the same lethality. The more the protein coat shifts and changes, the less able the native will be to develop a cure.

It must be transmittable by air at the very least, and preferable by fluids or even contact as well. The more ways the virus has at entering the body, the better.

As for delivery, finding a way to spread it over the major population center would be the best way. This part really depends on what equipment we have on board to get to the planets surface.

Finally, we should constantly be developing new viruses (and bacteria) that fit these criteria and dispersing them as we invent them. Our ability to create these plagues will surpass their ability to fight them, and attrition will win this for us.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
Preferably somebody with biotech expertise would do the designing, and I don't think Corto has that.

The natives call the planet a word that loosely translates as "shipwreck".

Well isn't that interesting.

I want a comprehensive report on they're complete history going as ancient as we can get, as well as analysis on their religions. Flag anything that involves 'falling from the sky', including mythology.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
Yes, we are creating a virus with the intention of wiping out the natives. That is a bioweapon.

In order for it to be effective it not only needs to have the highest morality rate possible (for obvious reason) but it also need a very long incubation period. On the order of a month or so. The reason for this is simple: the host will act as a carrier of the virus for a very long time before he shows any symptoms of having it. By the time the first reports come in of a plague it should have spread very far indeed. The longer we can make the incubation period, the more easily it will spread. So perhaps longer than a month.

We need to run models on how far it will spread with an incubation period of length 'x' and pick the time that maximizes the spread of the virus.

Additionally, the virus must have a high mutation rate but still have the same lethality. The more the protein coat shifts and changes, the less able the native will be to develop a cure.

It must be transmittable by air at the very least, and preferable by fluids or even contact as well. The more ways the virus has at entering the body, the better.

As for delivery, finding a way to spread it over the major population center would be the best way. This part really depends on what equipment we have on board to get to the planets surface.

Finally, we should constantly be developing new viruses (and bacteria) that fit these criteria and dispersing them as we invent them. Our ability to create these plagues will surpass their ability to fight them, and attrition will win this for us.

Okay. Just remember that our ancestor's are going to be living in the bodies we plan to infect. Are we 100% sure of our ability to kill anything we create?

Vikar

Passed the Turing Test
I want a comprehensive report on they're complete history going as ancient as we can get, as well as analysis on their religions. Flag anything that involves 'falling from the sky', including mythology.

Written history goes back about two thousand years. The wheel and fire are referenced in the oldest recovered tablets. Mythology says that vengeful gods punished the people for their growing disbelief. Most scientists believe that writing simply took a long time to develop, due to the individuality of the species at first, but a few think that there was some sort of cataclysm that wiped out a prehistoric civilization. Most religions have some references to vengeful gods of the sky, however.

And a map.

Last edited:

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
Written history goes back about two thousand years. The wheel and fire are referenced in the oldest recovered tablets. Mythology says that vengeful gods punished the people for their growing disbelief. Most scientists believe that writing simply took a long time to develop, due to the individuality of the species at first, but a few think that there was some sort of cataclysm that wiped out a prehistoric civilization. Most religions have some references to vengeful gods of the sky, however.

Better and Better.

We left fifty thousand years ago, yes? The ship must have been recording the planet during that time, at least for the last three thousand years. Play the recording based on an estimated time of the "Wheel and Fire".

Also we need DNA samples now. I want to check to see whether it's origin is in fact on 'Shpwreck' at all.

Vikar

Passed the Turing Test
Better and Better.

We left fifty thousand years ago, yes? The ship must have been recording the planet during that time, at least for the last three thousand years. Play the recording based on an estimated time of the "Wheel and Fire".

Also we need DNA samples now. I want to check to see whether it's origin is in fact on 'Shpwreck' at all.

Your telescopes don't show anything.

Truth

I've played pandemic 2 once. Anyone have more experience than that?

Two people voted "yes" to plan V from outer space.

2 out of 4 people who are currently active here. Me, Browder, Corto and Commodore. I don't know who were the 2 votes, but I think 3 people support the plan.

If we are to infect them, try and make it as covert as possible. Make sure they have no idea it was us. Edit: Unless we go with Operation Skylord.

This could be used to our advantage with the virus. After learning their language we could reference ourselves as their gods from the past, and bring plague (Virus) and destruction (Nukes) aswell as the intimidation (Moon carving of their sky god.) Using these we could attempt to pull some beliefs back to Religion and prehaps cause a war between nations. Of course they could also join forces and try to take the ship down too. Maybe we could somehow sabotage any attempts for diplomacy to prevent that in some way such as by stealing some children and making them into hitcats or something.

The coalition and allied kingdoms are both occupying a single country together. I would like to know more information on the Allied kingdom and Coalition's relationship and what is happening with that country.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
You were unaware of sentient life until you detected the radio signals twenty five years ago.

I meant can the telescopes, fast forward to scope out the planet? Any significant atmospheric changes we can measure?

Also I'm stopping for a bit. Reign of Fire is on. :)

Vikar

Passed the Turing Test
The coalition and allied kingdoms are both occupying a single country together. I would like to know more information on the Allied kingdom and Coalition's relationship and what is happening with that country.

In general, tensions exist. Occasionally there are arguments over resources or environmental issues or something like that, but for the most part the groups are more focused on internal issues. In cases of aggression from a non-grouped country, they often present a united front. This has happened before, and in all of the previous cases the hostile nation had backed down.

I meant can the telescopes, fast forward to scope out the planet? Any significant atmospheric changes we can measure?

There was an increase in albedo about five hundred years before their written history began.