• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Tail help

Saintversa

Can't keep a good dog down
i currently do not own my own tail yet, and i have a friend nice enough to make me one cause apparently shes legit at sewing.

but shes asking me for like.. a blue print of a tail? or a tutorial for making a fur tail, tried youtube and couldnt find any good ones, can anyone help me out?

and were trying to make a big fluffy bushy tail, all white, with a black tip at the end..

anyone got any suggestions?? and also where can i find the material at? can it be found at any fabric place?

sorry for the many questions.. ^^'

and this is kinda like the tail i want except the colors are switched.

blacktail.jpg

i found that pic on google. XP

Bir

Dream a little dream of me..
do you know any stores?? like on location.

im not looking for online shops due to the "http" i dun order from sites like that cause ive had my info stolen that way before. =P

No.

Stores don't sell tails.

I know of one, but the tails are absolute crap. Hot Topic. If you can't buy online, you're not going to get a custom tail. Sorry. : /

Jesie

I'M A WINNER
Hot Topic sells tails?

You may find a few Halloween costume tails at costume shops too this time of year, but as Bir said, they will all be crap.

Bir

Yeah. They look like the things that are attached to dog toys at Walmart. : / Thy're very tiny, and feel like.... boar hair.

Bir

It's very hard to find good faux fur fabric. That's why I simply don't use it. I'm not going to go way out of my way or buy things online as often as I'd need to finish commissions.

But, if you're lucky enough to have one around, check Joanne Fabrics or Hancock (Usually sucks, but SOMETIMES they have stuff) or perhaps Hobby Lobby to find your faux fur. PLEASE make sure that you buy the same TYPE of fabric for both colors. Nothing is more bothersome that having multicolored tails made with different kinds of fur. It shows, big time. If the pile length is different, it will look like crap. : /

Or, if you want, you can use yarn. You can buy it very cheaply, but it takes a long long time.

F

Furr

Blueprint… it’s a essentially a furry pillow, you really don’t need an intense draft for a simple hanging fox tail…

Saintversa

It's very hard to find good faux fur fabric. That's why I simply don't use it. I'm not going to go way out of my way or buy things online as often as I'd need to finish commissions.

But, if you're lucky enough to have one around, check Joanne Fabrics or Hancock (Usually sucks, but SOMETIMES they have stuff) or perhaps Hobby Lobby to find your faux fur. PLEASE make sure that you buy the same TYPE of fabric for both colors. Nothing is more bothersome that having multicolored tails made with different kinds of fur. It shows, big time. If the pile length is different, it will look like crap. : /

Or, if you want, you can use yarn. You can buy it very cheaply, but it takes a long long time.

yeah theres a joanne fabrics close by too, il check it out. =]

and ugh.. yeah i know.. i went to party city and i saw only one tail.. and its a black cats tail. XP

Bir

yeah theres a joanne fabrics close by too, il check it out. =]

and ugh.. yeah i know.. i went to party city and i saw only one tail.. and its a black cats tail. XP

Yeah, Party City is.... eugh. XD

I wish you luck! Joannes is usually one of the better chain stores for fabric.

Saintversa

Yeah, Party City is.... eugh. XD

I wish you luck! Joannes is usually one of the better chain stores for fabric.

hehe thanks.. if this all works out, il post a pic of the tail on here. =]]]

but any other references you could throw at me here would be awesome too. :3

Bir

hehe thanks.. if this all works out, il post a pic of the tail on here. =]]]

but any other references you could throw at me here would be awesome too. :3

Well.. Faux fur isn't what I work with, so I don't know much about it, other than my personal opinions. I work with yarn.

Bir

true true, how much does fabric like that usually round up too?

Usually good fabric is between $15 and $20 a yard. And you'll only need around one yard for a tail anyway. Then you have to buy stuffing, that's another $4. xP

Deo

The hatred of FAF personified
do you know any stores?? like on location.

im not looking for online shops due to the "http" i dun order from sites like that cause ive had my info stolen that way before. =P

Any physical store wikll be filled with "funfur" also known as the bane of every fursuiter. It is cheap, crappy, stingy, thin backed, short, mangled, awful stuff. Sometimes you can get lucky and find good fur at Joannes or Hancock Fabrics, however if you are ne and don't know how to tell good faux fur from bad don't go in or you'll grab some shitty fur not knowing that it's shit. Suck it up and buy your fur online from the sites I listed, they are rputable stores that have quality fur, anywhere else will sell you crap to make a buck.

Well.. Faux fur isn't what I work with, so I don't know much about it, other than my personal opinions. I work with yarn.

Good faux fur fabric will run you betwee $18-60 a yard. Anything less than $18 should set off huge alarms to not use it.

Last edited:

Jesie

I'M A WINNER
I've never had much luck with Joannes for fur. They get some stuff in close to Halloween but it's never great quality.
I have more luck with Hancock, but that's because I work there. I know exactly when we get good stuff in, but even still there isn't much of a variety.

If you want a large assortment of colors in good quality the only place you really got is online. Unless you live close to a store like mendel's, it's the only place you'll find what you really need.

Fursuit making is an expensive business if done correctly, why do you think so many people commission suits rather than make them themselves?

Deo

Fursuit making is expensive and time consuming if done correctly, why do you think so many people commission suits rather than make them themselves?

Exactly. If it was a LOL trip to just any fabric store with the making being easy and fast there'd be no need for artists to make fursuits on commission and no reason for people to commission suits. This is not a cheap hobby, crack out your debit card and save up for shipping costs.

Deo

I'd try knitting and quilting stores along with fabric stores

What is this? People you cannot find good faux fur just anywhere. It's one of those things that needs to be ordered online. Knitting store. Goddamnnit.

Jesie

I'M A WINNER
dumb newb is dumb.

How much fur do you see in knitting/quilting projects? Absolutely none, so why would a knitting/quilting store sell faux fur? Damn you are so dumb.