• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Tail hole or tail above belt?

How would you have your tail?

• Tail through hole

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Tail over belt

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters

Stratelier

I've sometimes thought of it like normal pants but there's an extra fly in the rear. Then way you aren't slipping the tail "through" anything (which as noted could be rather difficult), you just hike up the pants, button up around the tail, voilà done!

Last edited by a moderator:

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
As a seamstress, I would probably fashion a flap sorta deal.
Like this... only more of an overlap for strength.

That looks ideal, i would vote for one of these if i could edit it into the poll >_<

Above belt 'f course, pants with a hole in the back can only mean bad news .-.

O gawd, i've just realised the implications...

Krieger

De Oppresso Liber
Both have their advantages and disadvantages...
If you have a hole, it is better for support and is probably more comfortable, but getting the pants on would be quite the hassle.
If you don't, you can get the pants on and off quickly, but they might be more susceptible to randomly falling off (unless you have a belt)
With that being said, I choose no hole.

Yes, actually my character does wear jean-like pants, now that you mention it. I guess I'm not totally crazy after all~

When you mentioned wrapping your tail, though, it reminded me of a manga called Blue Exorcist where the main character is mostly human but has a lion-like tail (thin with a tuft of fur on the end). Most of the time he wraps it around his torso a few times and then puts his shirt on (since nobody else has a tail and apparently it's polite to hide your tail in public), although it's more like a jacket-shirt so other people can't see the tail underneath it.
The first thing I though of when I pictured it myself is how the Sayans wrapped their tails around their waist in DragonBall Z. Except, you know, under the armor/clothes. Wouldn't want anybody stepping on it or cutting it off.
I always wonder whether this option would get too itchy/sweaty, though. Would it really be comfortable to wrap a furry tail around your torso for an extended period of time?
I can't really picture it getting too sweaty. I'm pretty sure I can pull my arms from their shirt holes and keep them under my shirt for a very long time without getting itchy. I think the most uncomfortable part of having your own tail wrapped around you for a while would be, since - like I said - tails are extensions of the spine, would be that the tail might not bendy enough at the base (or just not bendy enough at all) to comfortably wrap around the waist. To not create a tent in the back of the pants, the base of the tail would have to bend at a pretty major angle.

Growlmon

Digital Hazard
LOLclothes. But in all honesty, the U-shaped slot seems ideal. Those that want it to stop they're pants from falling can have a button to hold they're pants together at the top of the U, around the tail.

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
You would need some sort of hole; over/above the belt would imply your spine is not connected to your pelvis properly. unless the belt/pants are really low. like, showin'-ur-buttcheeks low.

Littlerock

numb with cold
Or everybody could just strut around in loincloths and kilts like they woke up and bothered even giving a remote shit about pants.

Alternately, like how guy's boxers have a weird vertical flap in the front? That'd work I guess. Avian tails would be a BITCH to accommodate though, all that fanning width, damn.

Stratelier

LOLclothes. But in all honesty, the U-shaped slot seems ideal. Those that want it to stop [their] pants from falling can have a button to hold [their] pants together at the top of the U, around the tail.
Sorry, gotta dock you points for the fail spelling. Nothing personal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stratelier

On a tangent, the pants probably won't hold themselves up if they don't have something above the tail. The number of people who don't wear pants properly these days is epidemic (the belt line goes ABOVE the buttocks, not below!).

Roon Sazi

I have to agree with the idea of having a kind of second zipper in the back of the pants. Except you know...a button instead of a zipper. That could really hurt.

Growlmon

Digital Hazard
You would need some sort of hole; over/above the belt would imply your spine is not connected to your pelvis properly. unless the belt/pants are really low. like, showin'-ur-buttcheeks low.
Wellp... that's a really long zipper/U. And there's a lot of furs out there that don't mind being cheeky.

Or everybody could just strut around in loincloths and kilts like they woke up and bothered even giving a remote shit about pants.

Alternately, like how guy's boxers have a weird vertical flap in the front? That'd work I guess. Avian tails would be a BITCH to accommodate though, all that fanning width, damn.
Now that's a smart idea. And I guess avians can have something like a ponytail for their tail (I had a bit too much fun writing that)

Sorry, gotta dock you points for the fail spelling. Nothing personal.
Wow... I managed to mess up THAT badly at just 2000hrs.... I don't even...

Umbra.Exe

Revolver Snocelot
As a seamstress, I would probably fashion a flap sorta deal.
Like this... only more of an overlap for strength.

I thought that would be an ideal way to go about it as well. I think a hole for one's tail would be inconvenient and uncomfortable for those with stiff hair, fluffy tails, or those with feathered tails. It would probably be very difficult to pull a tail like that through. (Imagine pulling a Christmas tree stump-first through a small door...)

And the above-the belt method would probably only be reasonable for those with small or thin tails. What about reptilians, with their thick tail bases?

My fursona doesn't usually wear clothes, but now that I think about it, I would probably have her go with the flap-and-fastener method... Perhaps with some sort of short sleeve for the base of her tail, to cover her up a bit better. I'm not exactly sure how it would work though...

Now I want to go sketch out ideas. >>

lupinealchemist

Hamburger time.
I prefer the classic hole over above the belt cause that would seem uncomfortable and your pants would keep falling down.

I'd say that the tail hole would work better, in order for your tail to go above your belt you'd need to ware your pants way to low and then you'd have to constantly be pulling them up or worse, wear suspenders.

Your pants wouldn't be much lower by using the over the belt method. Then again, maybe I just have a big butt and don't have to worry about my pants falling down or being too low. Bushy tails wouldn't fit through a hole, so you'd have to have like a slip with a button at the top or something. That would be a nice compromise.

Ya, that's more along the lines that I was thinking. I don't know why I didn't specify that before but, whatever.

Umbra.Exe

Revolver Snocelot
You meam pulling it top first.

Actually, I do mean stump-first. Top-first is easier to do because the branches flow from top to bottom. If you go stump-first, you go against the direction of the branches.

I was referring to the fact that a bushy/stiff-haired tail might be difficult to pull through a hole tip-first, because it goes against the flow of the hairs.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
My character's tail is too big to have pants go around it. I don't know, I guess it would be a hole, but it wouldn't be pant's either...more like a loincloth. Maybe a tail sock?
Anthropomorphic ergonomics are weird.

Kio Maru

There's always the nudist option :V but tbh I think it depends on the species, where factors of tail length, width and flex into play.
Though, in reality, loose material is worn, the tail breaks through the flap in the material, more recent designs in clothing are related to the consistency of pockets and tidy seams to maintain comfort while being relatively tight. It's important not to constrict the tail as this is a) uncomfortable, b) capable of affecting the balance as a bipedal, and c) fur scratches like a bitch when your clothing's too tight, especially in areas of crevice such as between the tail and lower rear. A belt would be in particularly a pain because there would be a lot of compression. Have you ever laid on your coccyx funny and felt the surface your on poke the bone? Well imagine a belt pressing against your tail and spine when you laid down, it hurts. Plus the tail is at its most relaxed pointing downwards a belt around the waist causes the tail to be hinged up and its not pleasant.

Platty_Baleine

Why don't you just put your jeans on backwards and button the hole over your tail without zipping it up? Nah, the teeth would irritate you, and going to the bathroom would be a lot harder. Though having a buttoned flap on the back in addition to the front zipper might work well.

Personally, I like the nudist option best xD

Umbra.Exe

Revolver Snocelot
Why don't you just put your jeans on backwards and button the hole over your tail without zipping it up? Nah, the teeth would irritate you, and going to the bathroom would be a lot harder. Though having a buttoned flap on the back in addition to the front zipper might work well.

I had thought of that before as well, but I realized putting them on backwards wouldn't fit right because of the way pants are patterned. There's more fabric in the back for your backside, and less in the front, so backwards pants probably wouldn't be comfortable.

Personally, I like the nudist option best xD

My fursona doesn't really wear clothes, so I like this option too. XD But it's fun to figure out how patterns and clothes would work to accomodate extra appendages like tails and wings.

Also, I now realize that a hole for the tail actually could work for my fursona, since her tail is widest at the base and then tapers to a point. I still think tail openings wouldn't work well for tails that are thinnest at the base though. I suppose the type of opening all depends on the tail type.

Imagine designing clothes in a world where everyone has vastly different bodies? Sheesh. It would likely be difficult to mass-produce clothing, considering all the different body types that would exist.