• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Tails in furry society

Foxridley

With the number of non-mammalian sonas and other OCS, something even more ubiquitous among the furry fandom than fur is the tail.
But what would the impact on society be if almost everyone had a tail? Furniture and clothes would, of course, have to accommodate tails, but what would that entail? Would pants simply have a strap that goes over the tail, or would there be something like a third pant leg? How might we accessorize them? One comic I saw, for example, had a lizard with a tail warmer.
Docking and perhaps tail lengthening might be options in cosmetic surgery.
There could also be different etiquette to consider: when is it okay to touch another person's tail? I imagine it could vary; touching a short tail, like that of a rabbit or a deer, would be pretty close to touching their butt, and less so for a longer-tailed species like a fox or a cat.
What are your thoughts?

Punji

Vaskebjørn
It would certainly make for some uncomfortable and awkward situations, like sitting in a car, on a plane, or in public transport. Imagine the strain and cramping. Can already have pretty limited room, what if every other person has a big fluffy tail? Bigger seats maybe? Don't think a hole in the back would help for that, I sure wouldn't want someone else's tail in front of me for a whole plane ride, nor would I ever want to have my tail in someone else's face either.

I don't think it'd be very acceptable to touch someone's tail no matter how long it was. I don't like people touching my arm or shoulders as is! It'd be like touching a stranger's hair I think. Give a racc some personal space.

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
I feel like it depends on the setting. But for the most part, I feel like it would be similar to how most things are today.

If you didn't fit the common mould, you would more than likely be s.o.l or stuck paying for custom designs.

Like how left handed products weren't really a thing because religious beliefs were still popular. Or how tall people, or those with large feet would have to go to specialized stores. Teeny tiny mice with teeny tails vs human sized dragons with some thicc, scaly donk.

Cropping is a thing but I remember learning it can assist with balance for some animals. XD might not be the best.

Would anthros be more inclined to tuck the tail between their legs before sitting? Or would they keep it constantly arched behind their backs? Hmmm.

Whatever the case, the more I think of it, the less convenient I feel it would be for us to have one.

Sorry if my thoughts are jumbly. On da phone.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
With the number of non-mammalian sonas and other OCS, something even more ubiquitous among the furry fandom than fur is the tail.
But what would the impact on society be if almost everyone had a tail? Furniture and clothes would, of course, have to accommodate tails, but what would that entail? Would pants simply have a strap that goes over the tail, or would there be something like a third pant leg? How might we accessorize them? One comic I saw, for example, had a lizard with a tail warmer.
Docking and perhaps tail lengthening might be options in cosmetic surgery.
There could also be different etiquette to consider: when is it okay to touch another person's tail? I imagine it could vary; touching a short tail, like that of a rabbit or a deer, would be pretty close to touching their butt, and less so for a longer-tailed species like a fox or a cat.
What are your thoughts?

I feel that the customization of clothing would be more normalized for everyday use. A strap or seam that could be "one-size-fits-all" would work, but only if we excluded extreme size variants (such as macro/micro). I think that furniture wouldn't need too much changes. Many tails can comfortably lay to the side and if not, there are many chairs without full backs already, so comfortable sitting might not be too difficult either way. I think that things such as tail chains already exist, so I'd imagine accessories would range from ribbons, to clips, to chains, and so on. Much like hair accessories it could vary in that way.

In regards to surgery, docking could be possible but lengthening might be...improbable. I'd imagine it'd be akin to the myth of tongue lengthening. It just wouldn't be healthy to test it on a living organism. You might be able to get a robotic enhancement depending on the time of your setting, but that's another story entirely. I think that as far as etiquette goes, touching someone's tail would be akin to touching someone's hair. It's not sexual, but it can be seen as close or intimate and randomly grabbing or petting it could be a violation of boundaries. No matter the length or type of tail, I feel this rule might apply all around.

Yastreb

In my opinion we just need to think more outside the box. When thinking about anthro world, don't just take a human world and make modifications until it works. (Unless anthros are a small or recent minority among humans.)

In our modern western societies we tend to see the backrest as a universal feature of seats but it really is not. Throughout the history and around the world it has been common to sit on stools, benches, cushions on floor or what have you, probably more common than using chairs. In a world of anthros there simply wouldn't be much reason to start using backrests in the first place. When you would have to either put the tail through some hole, sit on it, or have it bent to one side a backrest wouldn't really increase comfort.

Having said that, I wonder what aircraft seats would look like. There you would need back support for acceleration.

Stray Cat Terry

고먐미
In my fictional universe where there are those furries (and more) living in a modern civilization... The cultural norm was set--to cut off the tail artificially. In that universe, you are considered unrefined, or further, uneducated or rude if you keep your tail sticking out of your spines.

Some parents may decide to do this as soon as their childs are born, similar to HomoSapiences in real life cutting off the umbilical cords. (but not the same as it's not the extension of the spines as a tail is)
Otherwise, they may live with tails on but go under surgeries later around when they're legally mature.

Imagine every long-tailed species having Welsh Corgi-ish tails when they aren't born to be so, which is the case of old era Corgis... That's how the 'issue' is 'resolved'.

For otherwise reason, it could be, for example--not wanting to keep showing one's emotional statuses via the tail.(of whomever the species relevant) Or there may be more... I'll have to think more on that part.

Restraining for questionable causes vary and are widespread around in our real life as well, so I wanted to depict that in my fiction as well! OwO

And well.. defying cultural norms to retain one's preference/identity, etc, will be a thing in that world too. UwU

Last edited:

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
In my fictional universe where there are those furries (and more) living in a modern civilization... The cultural norm was set--to cut off the tail artificially. In that universe, you are considered unrefined, or further, uneducated or rude if you keep your tail sticking out of your spines.

Some parents may decide to do this as soon as their childs are born, similar to HomoSapiences in real life cutting off the umbilical cords. (but not the same as it's not the extension of the spines as a tail is)
Otherwise, they may live with tails on but go under surgeries later around when they're legally mature.

Imagine every long-tailed species having Welsh Corgi-ish tails when they aren't born to be so, which is the case of old era Corgis... That's how the 'issue' is 'resolved'.

For otherwise reason, it could be, for example--not wanting to keep showing one's emotional statuses via the tail.(of whomever the species relevant) Or there may be more... I'll have to think more on that part.

Restraining for questionable causes vary and are widespread around in our real life as well, so I wanted to depict that in my fiction as well! OwO

And well.. defying cultural norms to retain one's preference/identity, etc, will be a thing in that world too. UwU

This is a really interesting story element. It never even occurred to me that something as simple as tails could be such a cultural issue. However, what about ears? They too often display emotions.

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
It gets even crazier when you consider characters with multiple tails.
How the hell would THIS guy wear trousers????

FoxWithAName

Mhmmmm, but tails also have functional aspects, for example Squirrels for counterbalancing and as a parachute. So some species would loose defining characteristics of their behavior and skills. Mhhhhhmmmmm, perfect conditions for a political or extremist groups.

There could also be different etiquette to consider: when is it okay to touch another person's tail?
I think that would be a no go. But it could be dependent on the culture itself. Hear me out, when we assume, that the earth would be the habit of this society, maybe different parts of the world have developed different cultural aspects, based on species that inhabit the region initially. (I don't know where, it might be in Asia, but correct me, it is pretty much a dead sin to touch the head of a baby) Maybe this can also apply here. Or basically culture revolution caused by governments or changes in society from demographics or immigrated cultures, could play into this.

I find this thread hekin interesting and I am intrigued what other people can throw in the ring here.
P.S: I hope there is no spam filter or this will get flagged in no time with all the words I used XD

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
In my opinion we just need to think more outside the box. When thinking about anthro world, don't just take a human world and make modifications until it works. (Unless anthros are a small or recent minority among humans.)

In our modern western societies we tend to see the backrest as a universal feature of seats but it really is not. Throughout the history and around the world it has been common to sit on stools, benches, cushions on floor or what have you, probably more common than using chairs. In a world of anthros there simply wouldn't be much reason to start using backrests in the first place. When you would have to either put the tail through some hole, sit on it, or have it bent to one side a backrest wouldn't really increase comfort.

Having said that, I wonder what aircraft seats would look like. There you would need back support for acceleration.

All I can picture are a bunch of furries trying to keep steady like dogs in the back seat of a car.

Foxridley

Vehicles of any kind would probably have seatbacks in that case. I could picture a "bucket" of sorts at the back of the seat. I wouldn't want my tail just hanging where the person behind me could step on or trip over it, especially given the limited legroom on planes.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
The setting I was using for a roleplay and will use for future writings has all the anthros being descended from humans that survived an apocalyptic war. As a result, even if they're walking animals, they... still have the mental expectations humanity did.

Since they viewed amputations for anything except actual medical needs as barbaric, they've had to adapt otherwise.

Chairs tend to still have at least ONE rest but it's usually armrests. If it has to be the back rest (like moving vehicles) there'd be a designated hole to fit the tail (fairly large and a bit angled down, to accomodate more than just mammal tails). The seats tend to be a bigger problem for anyone with back wings but let's not get into that debacle just yet.

I will say airplanes seat a LOT fewer people in that setting and not just because they're a bit behind on their plane technology.

Custom tailoring is considered a MUCH more essential service than in the modern day. However, covering up the whole tail in clothing is generally a no-no EXCEPT for exceedingly short tails (bears for instance) and when there's a legitimate need (hazard suits for example).

And tail-touching? Considered creepy. Lizards in particular consider it extremely hostile (despite the whole tail-detaching thing being reduced to a freak mutation).

Also how would that even anatomically work? Does the spine branch off into several or does just one of them hold spine or what?
I pretty much assumed the spine branched off in cases like those. There's a phenomenon with lizards that regrow their tails where growing multiples can happen but those tails grow back as cartilage rods - which would not work for a multi-tailed canine.

Stray Cat Terry

고먐미
This is a really interesting story element. It never even occurred to me that something as simple as tails could be such a cultural issue. However, what about ears? They too often display emotions.
Aww~ thankies! Purr~~ =UwU=♡

And, good question! I only mentioned the tails part cuz the thread idea.
Well, they gotta remove the ears in the case of soldiers(especially the ground combat infantrymen) have their ears cut off because the government consider it inefficient to mass produce customized helmets for infantry units.

If they don't cut the ears off with helmets on, it's expected that they'll have their ears folded thus ultimately obstructing the hearing ability and may also cause them to lose focus because of the discomfort from prolonged pressure by the helmets.

Otherwise option could be to mass produce a universal helmet design for the ears to stick out.
A) Helmets with holes for ears.
This design inevitably allows spaces between the helmet and the ears thus the dust and stuff shall fall in. So... this option is 'ineffective'. Moreover, it'll be crucial not having protection on certain parts with ears--which can lead to debris/bullets etc reach past the helmet protection to the wearer's head--so the design might not be practical.

B) Helmets with bigger ear space and protection.
In this case, while some may be fine, the others may have issues if the helmet space ain't big enough. Make it bigger? It'll be too heavy; Make it lighter with technology? Even then, the ultimate problem remains--high profile. Having more stuff sticking out will not be a good thing...

Oh, and just came to mind--antlers/horns etc.
Well, same culture stuff. They can be cut down to smaller size and perhaps carve them per one's preferences. And of course, there are defiant ones as well UwU

Mhmmmm, but tails also have functional aspects, for example Squirrels for counterbalancing and as a parachute. So some species would loose defining characteristics of their behavior and skills. Mhhhhhmmmmm, perfect conditions for a political or extremist groups.

Yup! But I thought about us, the Homo Sapiences.
While beliefs and opinions may differ, one of the materials I got inspired from was that the HoSaps are 'evolved' from monkeys. Monkeys have tails, HoSaps don't. Yet the HSaps are doing just fine walking around.

However, the head part. It shall differ between the species--some may have heavier head (cuz of muzzles, for example); and others may be just fine enough that they could manage to deal with it.

So, counterbalancing, good point! Again, it shall differ between the species. Considering they have their tails removed, some shall be just like us, the HSaps, and the others shall have their own ways to balance their bodies. For example, neck leaning backwards(perhaps drastically) so that the weight balance of the head is more manageable.

Yeah! It's interesting to put scientific questions on furry ideas OwO

Last edited:

BassFoxBoog

Knowing my luck I'd constantly be spraining it jumping onto bed (the only way to fly) but it would make my life immeasurably better as I am on the ASD spectrum and ready people is not my forte a tail would be wondrous
Knowing my luck again that'd appear as a sodding symptom too with the tail
Worth it though

*hugs tail* never let you go
^_^

Kingman

Inquisitor of the Radical Ordo
Think most animals that have tails, generally have a range of motion that would allow them to tuck the tail to one side or another and sit fairly regularly in a humanoid seat. I do think there would either be a hole to 'slip' the tail in, or the tail strap I've seen in some art. Or simply pull the pants up to right under the base of the tail. 'Assuming' certain placements are on par with were they are on humans and not right under the tail like some animals, pants would still 'fit' right and not be vulgar or uncomfortable.

Biggest concern is tripping hazard and getting it caught in doors. So I imagine a lot of 'real' furries would walk with their tails fairly close to their back legs, and only stretch it out when doing something like running.

Another fun thing is tails make for a new level of body language. Tail wagging for a dog is happy. But a cat is generally upset the more their tail moves.

The stuff about chairs and seats got me thinking. Using the restroom does not sound too easy.. Also I wonder how tails would be handled in space travel. They can't be exposed to the vaccuum, so they'd be stored in the suit. But that can't be too comfy. Once out of the suit and free floating, how would their tails work in microgravity? Would they move normally?

Foxridley

Think most animals that have tails, generally have a range of motion that would allow them to tuck the tail to one side or another and sit fairly regularly in a humanoid seat. I do think there would either be a hole to 'slip' the tail in, or the tail strap I've seen in some art. Or simply pull the pants up to right under the base of the tail. 'Assuming' certain placements are on par with were they are on humans and not right under the tail like some animals, pants would still 'fit' right and not be vulgar or uncomfortable.

Biggest concern is tripping hazard and getting it caught in doors. So I imagine a lot of 'real' furries would walk with their tails fairly close to their back legs, and only stretch it out when doing something like running.

Another fun thing is tails make for a new level of body language. Tail wagging for a dog is happy. But a cat is generally upset the more their tail moves.
It would by tricky for thicker-tailed species like kangaroos.

Xitheon

I may be mad but I'm perfectly good at it.
Most animals hate having their tails touched, so tail-touching would be taboo, similar to sexual assault.

Tail cropping would be a form of punishment, I imagine, especially in dogs. It would be pretty severe. For a dog, removal of the tail would be like cutting out their tongue; dogs communicate through their tails, of course. It would be shaming and debilitating for the victim.

I can imagine fashion trends. Tail styling would perhaps be a thing. Maybe they'd be fads, like curly tails are "in" in dogs, because huskies are considered beautiful. Or foxes and skunks dyeing their white tail areas (tail tips and tail stripes) bright colours. Shaved tails would be popular amongst outlandish animals who think rats are cool (fyi, rats are cool.)

Just some ideas.

Yastreb

The stuff about chairs and seats got me thinking. Using the restroom does not sound too easy.. Also I wonder how tails would be handled in space travel. They can't be exposed to the vaccuum, so they'd be stored in the suit. But that can't be too comfy. Once out of the suit and free floating, how would their tails work in microgravity? Would they move normally?
I have thought about anthro spacesuits a lot, like a lot, but I'll try to not make this 5000 words long.

First of all your tail would work in zero-g just like your arms or legs. Muscles and stuff don't need gravity to function, but you might have trouble with coordination at first before you get used to it. Also I'm going to point out that technically you can expose your tail or limbs to vacuum for a while if your face, throat and ribcage are under pressure. You would still want to protect every body part from radiation, micrometeoroids, raw sunlight, and a dozen other hazards in any case.

There are many different types of spacesuits. You can put them in three basic categories based on what they are intended for. IVA suits you wear inside the spacecraft during risky parts of flight in case there is a leak, zero-g EVA suits for going outside the ship on orbit, and planetary suits for walking on moons or planets.

For zero-g EVA suits I personally think they might decide to just have one shared section holding legs and tail. It would reduce complexity and cost and you don't really use your legs much in zero-g EVAs anyway. This concept (called mermaid suit or dolphin suit) has been suggested in real life but never used. In an anthro world the benefits would be more obvious so they might choose this type of spacesuit.

Not everybody agrees on this, though. The other option would be to have a tail sock that would be designed more or less like the suit's legs or arms. This is what you most commonly see in comics and art, and would be a likely choise for planetary and IVA suits anyway. They couldn't really use the "mermaid" design because the whole point of a planetary suit is being able to walk, and even with an IVA suit I bet the astronauts would insist on walking into the rocket before launch instead having the pad crew carry them around like babies in front of TV cameras.

Alternatives for tail socks on walkable suits? If the tail is not too long you could bend it over your crotch and onto yout belly side inside the suit's midsection. You could have it in one of the suit legs. Either of these would need to be taken into account when designing the suit. Very short-tailed species like bunnies could have a simple pouch for the tail at the suit's behind.

I have thought about anthro spacesuits a lot, like a lot, but I'll try to not make this 5000 words long.

First of all your tail would work in zero-g just like your arms or legs. Muscles and stuff don't need gravity to function, but you might have trouble with coordination at first before you get used to it. Also I'm going to point out that technically you can expose your tail or limbs to vacuum for a while if your face, throat and ribcage are under pressure. You would still want to protect every body part from radiation, micrometeoroids, raw sunlight, and a dozen other hazards in any case.

There are many different types of spacesuits. You can put them in three basic categories based on what they are intended for. IVA suits you wear inside the spacecraft during risky parts of flight in case there is a leak, zero-g EVA suits for going outside the ship on orbit, and planetary suits for walking on moons or planets.

For zero-g EVA suits I personally think they might decide to just have one shared section holding legs and tail. It would reduce complexity and cost and you don't really use your legs much in zero-g EVAs anyway. This concept (called mermaid suit or dolphin suit) has been suggested in real life but never used. In an anthro world the benefits would be more obvious so they might choose this type of spacesuit.

Not everybody agrees on this, though. The other option would be to have a tail sock that would be designed more or less like the suit's legs or arms. This is what you most commonly see in comics and art, and would be a likely choise for planetary and IVA suits anyway. They couldn't really use the "mermaid" design because the whole point of a planetary suit is being able to walk, and even with an IVA suit I bet the astronauts would insist on walking into the rocket before launch instead having the pad crew carry them around like babies in front of TV cameras.

Alternatives for tail socks on walkable suits? If the tail is not too long you could bend it over your crotch and onto yout belly side inside the suit's midsection. You could have it in one of the suit legs. Either of these would need to be taken into account when designing the suit. Very short-tailed species like bunnies could have a simple pouch for the tail at the suit's behind.
Oh cool! This is pretty much the exact stuff I was wondering. I could see the mermaid suit being used for EVA suits, especially for early space age stuff where the suit can't really be terribly complex. One more thing I thought of is how on the ISS, people with long hair experience it standing straight up. I imagine this would apply to tails of long furred species/breeds. This makes me think that it may be convenient for those species to use a simple strap or something along their back to keep their tail from getting in their own/others' ways