• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Taking out a loan for a fursuit?

Joey

This past March something inside me snapped and I realized how badly I wanted to get into fursuiting... But I needed the best, IE: Lacy, MixedCandy, DHC, etc... And I needed a full, just cause I'm pretty passionate about it and wanted to just completely go all the way.

I figure my budget is about $3,000. A loan would roughly amass to $100/mo over 3 years. I do completely support myself, but I think I can handle that. I would carefully and patiently set something up with my bank (Wells Fargo FTW!) rather than some crappy loan shark.

I have perfect credit at the moment, so this could either be a pretty good idea or a pretty bad idea... But it also seems like the only way for me right now though as I don't think I could feasibly save up enough money for even a deposit while it gets built.

What do you guys think?

Mayonnaise

Off we go to the sea
I don't know... Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I'd save some money first. Then I'll think about getting a fursuit but that's just me.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Wells fargo has shitty and surprise interest rates. It's not worth it and it's best to wait.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Man whatever happened to saving, why do people want to put thmselves in more debt? Especially something that doesn't have a good return?

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Man whatever happened to saving, why do people want to put thmselves in more debt? Especially something that doesn't have a good return?

Because furries must have a fursuit.
Personally, I'd love to commission one instead of making one all of the time, but I don't make enough to put that much money aside for a top name brand fursuit. MAybe in the future if I am still a furfag. :V

burakki

Please don't. Fursuiting is probably tons of fun, but it's better in the long run if you just save up for it. You can make up the money faster perhaps if you made slight cuts in random luxuries and such.

If you can fully support yourself then I would save up. There's no point in taking the risks of getting a loan for it. Plus I personally don't think a fursuit is worth getting a loan like that.

Wereling

Just save don't take a loan it's not worth it
Because furries must have a fursuit.
Personally, I'd love to commission one instead of making one all of the time, but I don't make enough to put that much money aside for a top name brand fursuit. MAybe in the future if I am still a furfag. :V

actually furries DONT need a furusit where'd you hear that crap?

Last edited:

ADF

Never go into debt for things you don't need, you don't know what the future will bring.

mirepoix

meer-pwah
I dunno, man. I would much sooner seek financial advice from your bank than from an internet forum.

A few days ago I was in the car with my boyfriend, and I decided I really wanted to hear some Deathklok. We have all of their albums at home, but we were driving, and I had my android phone on me. You ever hear the experiment they do with kids and the marshmallows? I realized I could have one marshmallow now (and pay for the music right there), or two marshmallows later (the music and my handful of dollars). It's up to you, man, but I think it may be much sweeter in the end to save up all the capital you need and pay for it stress-free, than to go through the process of taking out a loan.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Save, don't be the banks bitch. Also mixed candy is on hiatus last I heard. If they aren't you can meet up with me and check out my suit, it's from them. Well made, great materials.

P87NE

Don't do it!

I would never borrow money for something unless I absolutely need it and I know that I can pay it back. I won't even take out a loan for a car. I figure that you can get a running car for $1500, and if you can't manage to save up $1500 you can't afford to drive anyway. I think that the only loan that I will ever take out will be a mortgage on a house in the future.

But the point is that you do not need a fursuit, you just really want one. Instead of paying $100/month towards a loan for 3 years to pay off a fursuit that will be old and dirty by the time it's paid off. Take that money and save $100/month and you'll have your $3000 in only 2.5 years, you'll have a fresh clean fursuit and owe nothing towards it, and you will have saved $600 overall.

Platty_Baleine

If you're on a budget, taking out a loan for anything non-essential is a really really bad idea. Paying off debts when you have the money is stressful. Adding more debt for what is fundamentally stuff for a hobby is especially foolish. I'd personally like to make a fursuit myself. I don't have any money either and taking out a loan for some quick cash sounds mighty appealing to me. I also have to deal with thousands of dollars of college debt when I graduate. I don't know if you're in college or how old you are even, but statistically it's likely you've either taken out or will take out a college loan. The last thing you need is more debt on top of your college debt. And if you're older, do you really want to take out another loan when you have to pay bills, mortgage, and credit card debt?

For the time being, I'll just stick to hats with animal ears :3. You're better off saving your money and avoiding interest rates.

Last edited:
DO NOT DO IT.

I know where your at. I want a fursuit to, but to take a loan out to get one is just plain a very bad idea. Do what I'm doing and save up for one, then you'll know exactly what you want with it when you commission it and it'll make the day it arrives all the more sweet.

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
No loans, save your money and the headache from having to repay every month.

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
Can't you still go to cons and be a furfag without one of those suits?
Buy a tail, or ears, or something, until you can properly afford one.
Americans seem to have a thing for debts and loans. Educational system tell you that!

Validuz

The Not-so-typical Swede.
Like everyone else says. Don't take a loan for it. If i would have to take a loan to buy a fursuit. I wouldn't be able to properly enjoy it. Everytime i wore it and had fun. I would be constantly reminded of the debt.

Grunnolf

Raver
Do what i'm doing save up for an initial deposit then talk to the maker about a probable P.O.T (payment over time). i'm sure that some makers are flexable like that. the person i commisioned to do mine has agreed to do a P.O.T deal and send me the seperate parts as the are complete and payed off. it costs more for shipping but its better than having to takke out a lone and get charged up the ass to pay it back. I am really wanting a fursuit so instead of waiting i decided to do biweekly payments. But as i said talk with some makers see if you can set something up that makes them happy yet keeps you from taking out a lone