• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Taking Requests for OCs if you appreciate my art.

dahbastard

I know I already posted one thread on this, but, I would like to post another, because I was kind of hurt by the result.

When I posted before, I provided samples of my art, and a direct link to my gallery. Only one person said, or indicated, something nice about my stuff, and that was elsewhere. And so, I chose to give her character priority, because she showed some appreciation for me as an artist.

I am fine with drawing your character for something that isn't money. What I have decided I am not fine with is drawing your character for free.

I am not well known, and I have no idea how appealing my work is to others. However, I have no interest in charity likes, or charity watches. What I am interested in is for somebody to take an interest in my work, and let me know that I am more to them than just a disposable vehicle for drawing their personal fantasies.

Don't get me wrong. I like to be kind. But, after a while, it just grates on me, when I do lots of kind things for people, and get little to nothing in return. And that's been my experience, in general, online. I hope you can sympathize with that.

That being said, the point of this post is really in the title. If you show some appreciation for my art, then I will strongly consider drawing your OC. And you can be sure that I will, at least, visit your gallery, and comment on your submissions (unless all of your submissions are something I wouldn't be comfortable showing a typical boss/teacher/parent/child as I have filtered those out).

To elaborate, appreciation doesn't just mean saying something generic, and low effort, like, "I like your art. Draw my character, pls." It means being honest with me, and letting me know that, even if I am not the most amazing artist, you think there is value what I do, regardless of whether I choose to draw your character, or not.

The level of effort I put into drawing your OC will match level of interest you show in my art.

That being said, I will not draw anything that is NSFW, or anything that, otherwise makes me uncomfortable to draw.

As a rule of thumb, if a typical boss/teacher/parent/preteen should not look at what you want me to draw, then I won't draw it. And that includes drawing diapered characters, hyperinflation, transformations, or any other fetishes that regularly escape the "Mature Content" filter. Nor will I do crude/depraved/or disgusting art that depicts activities that would not be condoned in public places. I have a reputation to establish/maintain (what little there is of it). Otherwise, I am pretty flexible, and willing to go outside of my usual aesthetic. And I have the right to refuse to draw anything you request of me.

I hate that I felt I had to write this post. I feel like I might be coming across as condescending, or hostile, or egotistical. I assure you, that is not my intention. I'm just frustrated by how little people seem to understand that an artist on a site for artists might actually want people to be appreciative of his art, before asking him to do free art for them. I feel like the people, who responded to me, shouldn't have to have been told this.

So, before I finish, let me clarify:
  1. Put some effort into appreciating my work. If you are not interested in it, then, that's fine. Somebody else can draw your OC for free.
  2. I will match the the level of effort I put into drawing your OC with the level of effort you put into appreciating my work. Note that that isn't the same as giving me a watch, or faving all my art. If you were honest in your favorites, or watch, then you can explain why you did so. I won't tell you exactly what you need to do, but it will be pretty clear to me, who makes an effort, and who's just trying to butter me up for free art. Remember that drawing your OC takes effort. I have a full time job, a family, and many side projects to juggle, so I hope you can at least make the effort to convince me why I should add your OC to my workload. Plus, it's just nice to do. I might even go so far as to do a fully colored, shaded, piece with a background for you.
  3. Even if 1 and 2 are satisfied, I might not draw your character, not only because it might conflict with my artistic goals (as I outlined earlier), but because I am only one person (though, it would surprise me, if I get more than a handful takers, given what I have written).
  4. I will not draw things that conflict with my reputation as an artist, and that includes all the things I outlined above; if a typical boss/teacher/parent/preteen shouldn't see it, I won't do it. To be clear, I do violent, gritty, cute, pretty, heterosexual, homosexual, genderfluid, cis-gendered, transgendered, and lots of other things. But I don't do your character sticking their butt, clothed only in panties, in the viewer's face to sniff. No, thank you.
  5. Describe your character's personality, and background, so I know how to make them behave in my drawing.
So, if I haven't alienated you by this point, please let me know if I can draw your OC. I really am a nice guy, and very appreciative of kind gestures (and reciprocate, where I can).

On the other hand, if you are put off by what I said, and want to say something cruel, or degrading, to "put me in my place", please take a hike, because I have no patience for that nonsense. My self esteem is already low. I don't need to be told "learn anatomy", "beggars can't be choosers", or "I would never take make a request, because your art is crap" or any other variation of that. So, if you feel like darkening my day some more, just, don't.

For reference, here is my gallery:

Here are samples of my latest work:
A WIP for my latest request:

And others:

Thank you :).

inkbloom

plant mom and mom friend
I am sorry to hear that you are feeling underappreciated for your art. That really sucks and it is entirely valid for you to feel this way. It's normal to want a little in exchange for doing something nice for others. I hope that you start getting more attention soon.
I think your art is really interesting and feels like it belongs in an rpg rulebook with the unique character concepts you come up with.

Please don't let this experience get you down.

Universe

Most powerful dragon human hybrid in the universe
I appreciate your art I just favorited one of your art and watched you it stinks that nobody really appreciates you I understand that and I really appreciate it you didn’t have to do this but you did and if nobody doesn’t see that then they need to open their eyes because that is some of the best art I have ever seen in my life and I’m being honest here your art is amazing

Last edited:

dahbastard

Thank you very much for saying something nice. I hope you know that what I wrote was not against you, in any way. You were nice, we had a nice conversation, and you watched my gallery, which was enough for me. And, in fact, I really am trying to do justice to Harmina Rose, which is why I am taking my time (I am at the flat-color stage).

Your remarks about my art are intriguing to hear. I hadn't thought of my characters that way. To be clear, these characters are (almost)all ones that are in stories I am writing that are in development hell--save for
which actually was for an RPG I was helping develop for some time.

Anyway, thanks, again!

Last edited:

dahbastard

Was I that one person, because I did comment on some of your art,
I do appreciate that (and I just haven't responded yet, because I haven't gotten around to it). But this message was specifically for people, who requested I draw their OCs (or future people, who want me to draw their OCs). I don't remember you doing this. Sorry, if I am mistaken.

Are you saying you are interested in me drawing Dergen, or another OC of yours?

DergenTheDragon

The cutest derg
Their art is good, most people on here are lovely artists, we all have our strengths and weaknesses, some are better at things that the rest of us cannot do. Thats the way it is,

inkbloom

plant mom and mom friend
Thank you very much for saying something nice. I hope you know that what I wrote was not against you, in any way. You were nice, we had a nice conversation, and you watched my gallery, which was enough for me. And, in fact, I really am trying to do justice to Harmina Rose, which is why I am taking my time (I am at the flat-color stage).

Your remarks about my art are intriguing to hear. I hadn't thought of my characters that way. To be clear, these characters are (almost)all ones that are in stories I am writing that are in development hell--save for
which actually was for an RPG I was helping develop for some time.

Anyway, thanks, again!
Particularly the piece of the two anthros chasing after the man with a sword, it feels like the type of shenanigans one would get up to in an rpg. The tired mage trying to stop a fight between the chaotic evil rogue and the town guard.
I hope they get out of development hell and into the public so I can give them a read.

Chomby

Chimichangas Chimichangas Chimichangas Chimichanga
Hey I just wanna say how much I relate to this. It's the worst thing to spend years working on your craft with art block and all, before going "okay yeah, I think my art is pretty nice, " only to get either half-ass responses on it or none.

I stopped taking requests because I dealt with a lot of rude, needy people that didn't respect my time and effort. I don't like dealing with passive aggression or impatience 24/7. Like if I'm gonna put myself through that hell, I might as well get paid for it.

You have a lot of tolerance and I admire that. You still wanna draw for people, but only for respectful, appreciative, and genuinely interested people. It's a shame that people see artists that take requests like some free sample at the store.

I would love art from you, but I am not entitled to it. No one is. It is entirely up to you who and what you spent your time and effort on!

D

Deleted member 132067

It's sad to hear that you felt egoistical, condescending or what have you while writing up this long post. You shouldn't be. I personally think that people going of their way get themselves some free art is a bit of a problem in general, not just here. While I do believe that taking up some (simple) requests is a good way of getting back in touch with drawing anthropomorphic characters especially, it's just as important to make the jump away from it and start advertising yourself as an artist who gets payed for his spare time that he invests into creating his artistic work.
Which you certainly should aim for, you have something going with the pictures you've made so far.

I personally liked the pictures without backgrounds as well as uploaded WIP's (one of which I favorited yesterday) the most. With them it's very apparent how clean your lineart is, it just looks very nice. You really nailed the whole mix between humans and animals. If drawing them side by side, which you at times do, it quickly happens that the two are hard to distinguish from each other, except for their faces. With you there is a clear and easy distinction between the build and physique of humans and anthros.

And putting the observations aside, I myself really like the kind of mystical artstyle you sometimes show. Both in the "Harmina Rose Request" or with various decpictions of your character, Aether.
I hope this was uplifting for you. I wouldn't even want you to draw art or look at stuff I have on my page. Just have a nice day and a good time here with this community. :)

dahbastard

Hey I just wanna say how much I relate to this. It's the worst thing to spend years working on your craft with art block and all, before going "okay yeah, I think my art is pretty nice, " only to get either half-ass responses on it or none.

I stopped taking requests because I dealt with a lot of rude, needy people that didn't respect my time and effort. I don't like dealing with passive aggression or impatience 24/7. Like if I'm gonna put myself through that hell, I might as well get paid for it.

You have a lot of tolerance and I admire that. You still wanna draw for people, but only for respectful, appreciative, and genuinely interested people. It's a shame that people see artists that take requests like some free sample at the store.

I would love art from you, but I am not entitled to it. No one is. It is entirely up to you who and what you spent your time and effort on!
I totally get wanting to get paid for it. It's just that I have misgivings about doing that. Releasing a request, and being paid to do something that will make another person happy are two different ballgames. I would hate for somebody to pay me for something that disappoints them. Also, I'm just so dang slow! Nonetheless, I have considered doing it, but I would like to get used to the idea for drawing for other people. And this is partly why I am doing requests.

I really do appreciate your response. I think you understand where I am coming from.

I'd say take the chance, and ask me for a request (I don't think you have, already) :).

Chomby

Chimichangas Chimichangas Chimichangas Chimichanga
I totally get wanting to get paid for it. It's just that I have misgivings about doing that. Releasing a request, and being paid to do something that will make another person happy are two different ballgames. I would hate for somebody to pay me for something that disappoints them. Also, I'm just so dang slow! Nonetheless, I have considered doing it, but I would like to get used to the idea for drawing for other people. And this is partly why I am doing requests.

I really do appreciate your response. I think you understand where I am coming from.

I'd say take the chance, and ask me for a request (I don't think you have, already) :).

I totally get it. It is definitely a lot of pressure when there's money involved. This is why I don't take commissions very often. Too much anxiety. >_<

I suppose I'll ask for a request with your blessing. Lol

Out of all my OCs, I barely have any with clothes, so when I looked through, I noticed this fellah. He's a plague doctor german shepard. I know the art isn't very detailed, so if you choose to draw him, you have artistic liberty with any confusing details. His mask is basically his face since it is permanently attached.

cd028d5a-20f4-42a9-9f10-0b796308ded9.png1894359a-88f2-467c-8859-3da398237e08.png

Thank you so much for your consideration. I'm glad my response made you feel better! I think being an artist can be just as frustrating as it can be rewarding!

Monosuki the Aurian

Kyu the Braixen
Well then, kind words you ask for, is kind words you shall get! And besides, I've been meaning to have another go at it with kind words honestly. So here goes!

In all honesty, I'm generally surprised that I haven't heard of you sooner! You have quite the works, and your skill in drawing them is profound! I very much appreciate the detail in your works, the attention to detail and all the other shadings, features, specific key linings, and more that you have put forth!

It pleases me to know you, and pleases me more to be given the privledge to even have the chance of having an oc done by you! Your skill is already masterful, and to see one of my OCs with your art style would be something to treasure for a long time!

I must also say this. Along with the art and such, it's not just the artwork that is the principle in key. You are as well, in fact,t he center of it all! I must say how much of a kind person you are when I spoke to you earlier, and you are indeed a kind soul with much to give, many skills to show, and many arts for the fandom to behold!

Your skill, albeit unnoticed, will be soon, and I support you one hundred percent of the way! It matters not how many favs I give, nor the comments, but the respect that I offer, which can go a long way in terms of most.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and your arts, and I so greatly hope that you will one day become a massively popular artist, and that the fandom will respect and notice you as much as I! (Along with everyone else of course.)

I hope you please take the time in considering the design of Zenith, the Dark Mew Lord of Darkness, as it would be greatly appreciated! Your majestic works are truly one of the seven wonders of the world, and I do hope you keep up the magnificent masterpieces, as it would humble me greatly!

Thank you again for such a chance! I do hope yo see more of you soon pal! And here's a reference of Lord Zenith, just in case you do decide so.

Byzance123 Rauss Khan

I would like you draw this oc, I designed it from KFP:

It's Shaigen. Hope you like it

dahbastard

Didn't realize you were having such a hard time with people. Really hope i can brighten that up a bit for ya! Checked out your stuff, and i definitely liked what i saw :)
Thank you for showing an honest interest in my art. Would you like me to
Didn't realize you were having such a hard time with people. Really hope i can brighten that up a bit for ya! Checked out your stuff, and i definitely liked what i saw :)
I am starting work on Avery, just so you know :).

tetramelly

It was pretty funny seeing you be deluged by requests, though I don't think you can blame people when it takes so little effort to ask someone to draw a character. I am sometimes taken over by a feeling of altruism and confidence to draw random people's characters sometimes as well, but as you said, drawing takes way too much time. I wish I had a specific solution to that problem, as opposed to simply hoping for the best that drawing will become speedy after enough practice. Maybe the best thing to do would be to clearly lay out what your interests are so that a proper request would pique your interest enough to avoid feeling like you're merely slogging through a chore. Seems like the running theme in your drawings is east asian settings, though, so I'm sure that'd be easy enough to find ideas for.