• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Critique: Tear apart my art

Doodle Bunny

Definitely a rabbit... 100%...
I’m desperate. I feel no pride or good feelings in my art. My stupid brain can’t figure out why.

Go on. Rip it to shreds. I want to know why all my work makes me feel hollow.

upload_2019-5-17_20-56-48.jpeg

upload_2019-5-17_20-58-24.jpeg

upload_2019-5-17_20-57-40.jpeg

MissNook

I don't really know what to say. I think your art as a lot to it. I'll just list what I see both for the good and the things you would improve but keep in mind this is just my opinion. I try to use all I know to help but it's up to you to see what is interesting to you ^^
  • You've got nice ideas and designs, good coloring skills.
  • You know how to make your pictures readable. You may want to push the point of focus though since sometimes you seem to know how to bring the eye to a specific part of the picture (your plague dragon is the best example with its eyes and tongue) and sometimes not (I went to your gallery and I think of Finny, cause the light makes the eyes and face feel more flat).
  • You have ideas of composition which work (especially for your plague dragon). You could push that also by thinking of what the blank space says and try to frame your pictures different ways (for example your Sir Buttons might have a little too much blank space for the height, but the verticality of the picture helps to give the character a nice presence, so I would reframe in term of height and width, having only a part of the reel visible). You could try new things too, like tilted the character in the frame, strong perspectives and so on
  • Your pictures are interesting in term of storytelling, the characters seem to fit a universe we don't know much about but which can feel more real with background details. If you're interesting in this storytelling part of the pictures, you might want to work more on backgrounds and environments so that the characters feel even more real (adding secondary character helps too)
  • You seem to know your values and how to use them. Sometimes though (like for Sir Buttons and Finny) you seem to wash them out a little too much with the halo light. You can desaturate your whole pictures to see them better.
That being say, I think you're awesome! I don't really know why you're feeling down about your art, maybe it's time to try new things and see where it leads you? Maybe you should ask yourself what are your fun parts of art (for example, some people really like to color, other to sketch) and try to do that more to feel better. And maybe you need a project to work on, something you want to tell and don't dare, some big projects you're afraid to begin.

I hope that helps a little.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
"I’m desperate. I feel no pride or good feelings in my art. My stupid brain can’t figure out why."

I don't think the problem is your art; you deserve to feel a sense of achievement here.

_Ivory_

COMMISSIONS OPEN!
I’m desperate. I feel no pride or good feelings in my art. My stupid brain can’t figure out why.

Go on. Rip it to shreds. I want to know why all my work makes me feel hollow.

View attachment 62110
View attachment 62112
View attachment 62111
Yeah, sure, very funny i really hope this is a joke. There are no words in this world to describe how annoying situations like this are for me. I would give my soul to be able to make art like yours and many others but everything i see is people creating masterpieces that reach perfection and then complaining about them.
Sorry for this little vent of mine.

Tazmo

Trash connoisseur
"I’m desperate. I feel no pride or good feelings in my art. My stupid brain can’t figure out why."

I don't think the problem is your art; you deserve to feel a sense of achievement here.

Fallowfox is right . personally, I really like your art and style.

Sam Akuchin Wamm

Roundworm In Goat Guise
you didn't use geometric bases for the characters.

as a result your on-the-fly construction of elements, especially faces and especially given a level of perpeactive that's no longer orthographic, tends to shift to the flow of the direstion of your hand's arch rather than following a formal structure.

the upside to this is that you can creative with interpretation of what is perceived however the downside to this is wayward wandering away from the initial intended concept to a point where you're just adding extra details to disguise basic essential structural damage.

what's happened here is that you've learned so much about the extra layers on top such as lighting and texture techniques but not enough on the foundation level of sketchwork.

if it feels wrong to you then my guess is that no matter how you start a piece it never seems to fit the idea you had in your head as you rush to cover perceived mistakes as it progressively differs from the original concept you had.

there are 2 things you must do.

1- in your free time make doodle after doodle practicing your sketchwork so you can learn how to structure it in a way that right from the start begins to resemble the idea you had to begin with.

2- don't shy away from experimentation simply because it's not the way you intended it. instead try to make it into something else and explore your creativity, which you'll find you're already half way there in this respect due to the way you've been adapting so far.

eventually you'll be able to draw the two together to make something consistantly similar to what you imagine but elaborated on in a way that doesn't insult what you had in mind but becomes a different flavor it and likely much better than you intended.

Tazmo

Trash connoisseur
Dont give up and do what you love DB

Imagine if artists like Salvador Dali, Pablo Picasso or Vincent Van Gogh just quit . We wouldn't have their wonderfull contributions nor the influences they gave to others.