• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Tech help, please..Is my DS Lite slowly dying?

The Matte-Black Cat

Dark/Psychic-Timid Nature-Often lost in thought
So I got an Enamel Blue DS Lite from Japan to the US. I'm aware of the voltage difference, so I got a voltage converter and a Japanese charger to go along with it.

When I got the system, everything was nearly Perfect. The top screen is slightly yellowed, but it's old, so eh. I played until it needed to be charged (the red light came on)..then I noticed Lines flickering on the top screen. I'm thinking it's because it needs a charge.

But since had it on the charger, it still has these lines flickering on the top screen :( I took a picture of both a regular DS lite and my Enamel one to show what I mean.

Regular:

20190629_182426~2-800x684.jpg

Enamel DS (with line issue):

20190629_182306~2-800x623.jpg

Those pixely dots are in lines and flicker back and forth.

It Seems like the Longer and Brighter I have the screen on, the more Normal the screen gets over time..

I know that this is a super specific thread on here, but since it's technology related, I'm thinking maybe Someone may have an idea as to what may be wrong with it? Could it be charge related or something much worse? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

M

ManicTherapsid

Is it doing it only while plugged in? It's not just the voltage difference, but could be the frequency difference as US systems are 60hz and Japanese systems could be 50 or 60hz.

Tazmo

Trash connoisseur
Being old it could be a few things but I don’t think it’s dying. I would just enjoy playing it until it gives up the ghost.

Minerva_Minx

Explosion loving skooma cat
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/brow....jsp?productId=prod10079&categoryId=cat870406

You can get the battery anywhere, really. I t just looks like led brightness issues as it scans left to right, line by line, top to bottom. It is pretty consistent, which is usually the battery.

This also explains why it is happening while plugged in. when plugged in, the battery is inline to the system. your power cord changes the AC in the wall for DC, to charge the battery and run the DS. Typically, this is done because a battery is cheap, the electronics are not, so you want the battery to take the power hits.

Could be wrong without it in front of me on a work bench, but that's the likely issue is that it is still the original battery. maybe five minutes to change out.

Just keep the screws in a shot glass or small bowl so you don't lose them. ACE hardware here doesn't carry that size consistently, so betting not many hardware stores for it near you. If lucky, Game stop might have the battery.

The Matte-Black Cat

Is it doing it only while plugged in? It's not just the voltage difference, but could be the frequency difference as US systems are 60hz and Japanese systems could be 50 or 60hz.

Does it regardless of if it's plugged in or not. Looks like it's starting to get worse..When I close it and open it, the lines seem to disappear, but then slowly come back

The Matte-Black Cat

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/brow....jsp?productId=prod10079&categoryId=cat870406

You can get the battery anywhere, really. I t just looks like led brightness issues as it scans left to right, line by line, top to bottom. It is pretty consistent, which is usually the battery.

This also explains why it is happening while plugged in. when plugged in, the battery is inline to the system. your power cord changes the AC in the wall for DC, to charge the battery and run the DS. Typically, this is done because a battery is cheap, the electronics are not, so you want the battery to take the power hits.

Could be wrong without it in front of me on a work bench, but that's the likely issue is that it is still the original battery. maybe five minutes to change out.

Just keep the screws in a shot glass or small bowl so you don't lose them. ACE hardware here doesn't carry that size consistently, so betting not many hardware stores for it near you. If lucky, Game stop might have the battery.

Switched it with a new battery, still flickering.

It's gotten worse - now the lines are purple..this freaking sucks, man.

N

Nyro46

I would say it has to do with the backlight of the screen. You would probably need to replace the screen, but it depends on whether you think it is worth it to or not.

Minerva_Minx

Explosion loving skooma cat
I would say it has to do with the backlight of the screen. You would probably need to replace the screen, but it depends on whether you think it is worth it to or not.
Yeah, sad to say. If the battery did nothing then it's a processor. like a tablet, may be cheaper to buy a new DS than fix it.

The Matte-Black Cat

Yeah, sad to say. If the battery did nothing then it's a processor. like a tablet, may be cheaper to buy a new DS than fix it.

The sad thing is, I waited about a month to get it (it ain't from the US) and it was $30..but in Wonderful physical condition! Absolutely beautiful for that price..but the screen is shot! :'(

That's exactly what I've gotta do..

Spoke to a repair guy yesterday. He says the hinge caused wear and tear to a wire or something to the screen from constant opening and closing (..I did open and closed it a Bit because of a screen glitch it does as it opens).. It'll cost less than $30 to get it fixed though, and the guy has a lot of good reviews..so I guess I'll go for it.

The Matte-Black Cat

It got fixed!!! He did a good job!
Yay!!!

20190716_154510~2-780x878.jpg