• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Telling my parents

quoting_mungo

Please knock it off. You're derailing the thread and being disrespectful to the OP, neither of which is very appropriate behavior. I know it started as an attempt to make a joke, but making it at OP's expense was frankly a poor decision.

So. Drop the zoophilia discussion. I'm pretty sure I saw another thread for that recently, anyway.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Pineapplez, I created a Youtube playlist for this exact purpose:

A Fuzzy Primer: Furry Links - YouTube

Telling people that you're a furry SHOULD be easy and no-stress, but what should be isn't always what is, sadly.

I've even had elderly people who live out in the farmland boonies of the Midwest immediately associate the fandom with sex, and these are people who barely know how to use Youtube or Facebook.

Last edited:

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
Yes, I can definetely take you seriously.

Damn right you can. I'm 100% honest!

Please knock it off. You're derailing the thread and being disrespectful to the OP, neither of which is very appropriate behavior. I know it started as an attempt to make a joke, but making it at OP's expense was frankly a poor decision.

So. Drop the zoophilia discussion. I'm pretty sure I saw another thread for that recently, anyway.

Fine, fine. I suppose I can since I actually respect you somewhat

um_pineapplez

Mage of Void, dammit.
Given this I have to wonder if you're attracted to any anthros. Are you simply into the art style etc. Or are you attracted to any anthropomorphic character/picture?

For clarification I don't get hard over zootopia. It's sort of like the bugs bunny example. Yuck to me. But the right anthro, F yeah man.
Golly........I mean, I don't get hard over them, but if I had to list ALL the ones I'm attracted to, we'd be here all day. So I'll just list a few to give you an idea:
  • Judy Hopps
  • Sabrina
  • Krystal (really, I wouldn't be furry if I wasn't at least SOMEWHAT attracted to her.)
  • Jade Harley (What? She counts!)

Last edited:

_Hushy

Golly........I mean, I don't get hard over them, but if I had to list ALL the ones I'm attracted to, we'd be here all day. So I'll just list a few to give you an idea:
  • Judy Hopps
  • Sabrina
  • Krystal (really, I wouldn't be furry if I wasn't at least SOMEWHAT attracted to her.)
  • Jade Harley (What? She counts!)

Interesting. We have very different ideas of attractive.

Edit: (nothing bad). Would it be better in any case just to tell them about it like it's a hobby? Easier first step.

Last edited:

um_pineapplez

Mage of Void, dammit.
Interesting. We have very different ideas of attractive.

Edit: (nothing bad). Would it be better in any case just to tell them about it like it's a hobby? Easier first step.
Except I don't think of it as a hobby, and I get the feeling they still might not approve.

Yakamaru

Å nei, cringe
Except I don't think of it as a hobby, and I get the feeling they still might not approve.
Doesn't matter if they approve or not. It's your choice, and it's their job to accept it and move on.

um_pineapplez

Mage of Void, dammit.
Doesn't matter if they approve or not. It's your choice, and it's their job to accept it and move on.
But they gotta accept it cause I wanna go to Anthrocon while I'm young and not weighed down by college and tuition fees and a dayjob!

Yakamaru

Å nei, cringe
Suggestion: Ignore college. End up with a moronic amount of debt anyway.

_Hushy

Yeah but it's an easier first step, get to the other bit later. It doesn't have to sound like you lied. It's like girls, just a hobby right now. Can't say I won't go for more in the future ;)

quoting_mungo

From experience, I can pretty much guarantee you that if you ask to go to Anthrocon, your parents will be a LOT more worried about you going to "meet strange (as in, strangers) Internet people" than about whether you consider yourself furry. My mother didn't get over her conviction that everyone on the Internet is a dirty old man until I was in my twenties. Me getting engaged to an "Internet person" somewhere in my mid-twenties didn't go over super well with any of my extended family and would've been taken even more poorly if I hadn't also had some face to face time with my now-husband during one con weekend when I lived in the US for ten months.

My mom likes my husband fine NOW (apparently when I missed her calls last week she actually messaged him to see if he'd heard from me - sorry hubby!), because she's met him and seen for herself that he's a sweetheart. But my point is this is pretty normal behavior for parents. Chances are you'll need more arguments for why they should let you go see "Internet people" than for why they should let you be furry.

um_pineapplez

Mage of Void, dammit.
From experience, I can pretty much guarantee you that if you ask to go to Anthrocon, your parents will be a LOT more worried about you going to "meet strange (as in, strangers) Internet people" than about whether you consider yourself furry. My mother didn't get over her conviction that everyone on the Internet is a dirty old man until I was in my twenties. Me getting engaged to an "Internet person" somewhere in my mid-twenties didn't go over super well with any of my extended family and would've been taken even more poorly if I hadn't also had some face to face time with my now-husband during one con weekend when I lived in the US for ten months.

My mom likes my husband fine NOW (apparently when I missed her calls last week she actually messaged him to see if he'd heard from me - sorry hubby!), because she's met him and seen for herself that he's a sweetheart. But my point is this is pretty normal behavior for parents. Chances are you'll need more arguments for why they should let you go see "Internet people" than for why they should let you be furry.
So you're saying I shouldn't mention Anthrocon and focus on telling them I'm a furry first.

Welp, now we're back to where this thread started.

quoting_mungo

So you're saying I shouldn't mention Anthrocon and focus on telling them I'm a furry first.
Not at all. I'm saying that the furry aspect is probably not going to be the aspect of you going to a convention they'll be most concerned about. But by that same token, if your goal with telling them you're furry is going to Anthrocon, you can focus on figuring out answers for the questions and concerns they're likely to have about you staying safe. Chances are that if you have good answers to those, they won't even worry about the furry thing.

um_pineapplez

Mage of Void, dammit.
Not at all. I'm saying that the furry aspect is probably not going to be the aspect of you going to a convention they'll be most concerned about. But by that same token, if your goal with telling them you're furry is going to Anthrocon, you can focus on figuring out answers for the questions and concerns they're likely to have about you staying safe. Chances are that if you have good answers to those, they won't even worry about the furry thing.
Well, what are some common questions (although my parents aren't exactly common, either.)?

Last edited:

um_pineapplez

Mage of Void, dammit.
A-anything? It's my birthday in 2 days, and I'm thinking about telling them then.

Yakamaru

Å nei, cringe
Like have been stated repeatedly in this thread:

Don't treat being Furry as a bad thing. Go around your business as usual.
Also don't bother telling your parents unless you have to.
In America at least, Furries get a lot of heat as millions upon millions are completely ignorant on the subject.
Don't have the tag/label Furry on yourself like you would do with for instance a T-shirt. It only causes unwanted attention.
Privacy. I probably shouldn't have the need to say more than that one definition.

As for your parents being negative on the subject: It's not uncommon. In America. Rest of the planet, eh, I don't know.

Q

Queh360

Your parents have worried for know all about you... but if you want know how tell that you want:
You should know all about them, just like they worry about you.

I hope that you understand.