• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Temtem, aka "that Pokemon MMO"

Gonna play it?

• Gotta wait for console release... *sadface*

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kinare

RAWR
Lots of Pokemon fans here, so I feel the "rees of hatred" incoming. x3 While very similar to Pokemon, it's not a direct ripoff like some... so I'd ask you guys to try to look at it with an open mind and not immediately hate because "Pokemon clone". There are a lot of QoL improvements and so far has been really neat.

There's some changes over Pokemon that I really like:
1. It feels far more like the older gens of Pokemon than the new ones, and I detest the last few gens of Pokemon for a lot of reasons, detest increasing as gen does. Most notably, it feels more "mature", not childish. My biggest turnoff to Pokemon was in B/W how childish the whole game felt. I had to force myself to complete it and had no drive to do anything extra like PVP or breeding.
2. It's less RNG in some ways (combat for instance), which is debatable if that's good or not, but overall I think good. I don't like RNG in something that has a competitive side.
3. Overall I like how breeding works in this game, but I do have a couple gripes with it. It's element type dependent instead of body type and breeding/hatching is now time dependent instead of steps - both great changes imo. There are also items to guarantee stats pass over from the parent you choose, but I'm torn on how I feel about that. Due to fertility limits (you can only use a monster so many times for reproduction, which I hate), I think it's a necessity. They just released a patch that made these items a lot more expensive, so sadly only the early people got easy 7x perfect stat Tems and it will be much harder going forward, especially for new players who don't have disposable income. They did say it's a WIP there and may change prices again.
4. Eventually there will be guilds (which supposedly will work like dojos you have to fight to control) and player housing, both of which I'm super excited for, especially the latter. I'm such a sucker for those kinds of things, ha.
5. There are already some character customization options, not unusual for an MMO of course, but neat nonetheless. Very expensive right now, so hopefully as more content comes out there's more money making options.
6. Stats are a bit easier to train thanks to the fruits that add and subtract significant amounts.
7. Probably the best part is the fact that it is an MMO, so there are things like co-op and trading in person. I've not had the chance to try any of that because my one friend who has it hasn't been feeling well and his connection sucks, but I'm really looking forward to it.
8. There's catering for gender identity in character customization. I got to be androgynous-ish, woo.
9. So far, I have not encountered a single bug and it runs really well. Only problem is the queue, but it moves pretty fast.
10. PVP has a pick/ban system. Sounds good on paper so I'm putting it in the pros, but time will tell if it's actually nice or an annoyance.
11. PC monster catching game. Yus.

Some stuff I don't like so much:
1. The monster design... meh. Most of the monsters I'm extremely uninterested in, but there are a handful that are cool/cute. Could say the same for Pokemon tbh, but there are definitely more Pokemon per gen that I could say are ok looking vs Temtem. Some of the names are pretty silly too, and not in a good way, but the same could be said for a LOT of the newer Pokemon.
2. Battle moves run off of a stamina bar instead of PP per move. So far this has proven to be a more annoying mechanic than an interesting one because battles you just want to speed through are slowed down a lot and cause you to have to use expensive items more, but I can see the potential for PVP battles to be far more interesting and strategic because of this.
3. The major problem with the above is wild monsters you want to catch can actually kill themselves due to the over-exertion mechanic... This is extremely annoying. Imagine finding a luma (aka shiny), getting it down to like 1/3 of its health, it keeps breaking out of the Temcards ("Pokeballs"), then a couple turns later it kills itself. I have not had the unfortunate luck to have such a thing happen yet, but I have heard of it.
4. No fast travel like "Fly". The only thing that counts as fast travel is the Smoke Bomb item, not super expensive, which will teleport you to the last heal center you visited. This system has been a little annoying because: a) some of the quests send you back and forth a lot; b) if you don't actually visit the closest center to your objective you could get teleported to the opposite side of the island.
5. It's kinda hurting my eyes. I've had to turn down the saturation and brightness in nVidia settings by about 10% each to make it tolerable and it's still kind of weird looking, but at least I can look at it for long periods without pain now.
6. Some monsters only have male or female genders and there is currently no Ditto-like Tem in the game (but will be in the future, who knows when though).

Currently there are 4 playable islands I believe, BUT a small spoiler... if you proceed past island 2 you will lose an item that gives you access to the volcano which is important for the early fire Tems, so if you want to farm those Tems for breeding then do so before proceeding.

161 Tems in the game atm, not sure though if all are available to catch.

Price tag is currently $35, rumored to go up once it comes out of early access, so if you want it you should try to get it now. They have said there are no wipes planned ever and all progress will go into the full release version, but because it's EA I wouldn't assume it can't happen.

Currently only on PC for early access, but will release on PS4, Xbox One, and Switch once EA is done (estimate is 2021 atm).

Overall so far I'd give it a solid 7/10. I'm really enjoying it, but there are some irksome traits and currently not a ton of content to fully judge it, including missing some of the features I really want to try. It's definitely scratching that monster catching itch that Pokemon hasn't been able to satisfy within me for years now.

Last edited:

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
I want to play yet, but if it's an online-only game, then I pretty much can't. Our satellite internet is garbage.

Sarachaga

Definitely not a lizard
Oh jeez, I didn't realize EA was behind it. Not sure I would have bought it if I did lol. It's pretty good so far though, I'd say a 7 is about right.

Stratelier

So the reason this is making the news lately is just because it's entered Early Access? Okay....

I haven't heard much about this, beyond the developer making a few easily-criticized stumbles in the PR department...
(edit: different game/dev. whoops)

Judging by a few videos I've seen, it also has a common MMO problem of showing too many player characters clustered around important NPCs. Seeing a few players here and there is nice, but it also intrudes upon the immersion factor of you "being" in that world.

Last edited:

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
EA?!? .....oh, phew, you mean Early Access. For a second I thought you were talking about the company I've sworn to boycott.

Honestly? I'm behind enough on games already, and my interest in MMOs is at an all-time low lately. I may be forced to pass on this one.

Kinare

RAWR
So the reason this is making the news lately is just because it's entered Early Access? Okay....

I haven't heard much about this, beyond the developer making a few easily-criticized stumbles in the PR department.

Judging by a few videos I've seen, it also has a common MMO problem of showing too many player characters clustered around important NPCs. Seeing a few players here and there is nice, but it also intrudes upon the immersion factor of you "being" in that world.

I hadn't even heard about it until one of my streamers was playing it and I was like "wot is dis" and clicked. I don't read any gaming websites though so I suppose that's why I missed the memo, heh. It's not uncommon for EA titles to get hype behind them in EA and it has often hurt them because of it. Huge influxes of players who don't understand what EA actually is and shit on a game because of it - not good. In this case it has been pretty well received based on the Steam reviews.

I'm unsure what PR stumbles you're referencing as I've not researched that side of it. If you'd like to share what you found I'm sure it'd be informative for those who are still on the fence, and even as someone who purchased it I'd love to know about the company I've given money to. The only thing I know about that might be considered a problem is the date for EA release was pushed back quite a bit, but that's not horribly uncommon.

And yeah, if common MMO things are an issue to you, then it's probably not for you. The people crowding around one NPC is a tad annoying, but to me tolerable. It's not like you need to click on the NPC, you just click the F key or X on controller to interact with anything in front of you. My only issue with it is sometimes it's hard to see where the NPC actually is in the crowd... but the interact is pretty generous with that. Still, it'd be nice to see who I'm talking to, so I wish there was something to make that less of a problem.

N

Nyro46

It seems interesting, and I'll probably keep my eyes on it for a bit, as I've been wanting to play some sort of Pokemon-styled game but have been getting bored of the plot formula that has been rehashed in every Pokemon game ever. However I am a bit concerned they'll be bringing microtransactions into the game (if they don't already have those?) since it apparently takes so long to be able to buy character customization items. I prefer to avoid games with microtransactions in them, especially if they are games I've already paid for.

Z

ZeroVoidTime

EA?!? .....oh, phew, you mean Early Access. For a second I thought you were talking about the company I've sworn to boycott.

Honestly? I'm behind enough on games already, and my interest in MMOs is at an all-time low lately. I may be forced to pass on this one.
EA = early access. x3 Crema are the developers, published by Humble Bundle.
temtem publisher Humble Bundle is owned by IGN so pick your poison Electronic Arts or IGN. Beside that I have no problem with competitors showing up for long running series as it can change the status quo for older video games. I am currently skeptical about this game as a lot of MMO's have been flopping lately making me unwilling to depart with my money

Kinare

RAWR
temtem publisher Humble Bundle is owned by IGN so pick your poison Electronic Arts or IGN. Beside that I have no problem with competitors showing up for long running series as it can change the status quo for older video games. I am currently skeptical about this game as a lot of MMO's have been flopping lately making me unwilling to depart with my money

What's wrong with IGN? I've not experienced anything bad from them nor heard anyone complain.

But yeah I understand fully the skepticism, especially in regards to early access in general. I've wasted money before on EA titles, but for most of them I got my $1 per hour played ratio out of them and then some, which is more than I can get out of AAA games lately. I suppose everyone values it differently, but for me that's my usual marker of if I got my money's worth. Now, if the experience during those hours was awful, then of course I don't count it as good.

Rayd

profound asshole
despite all the "differences", it still seems too bootleggy for me to want to try. i'm usually not an advocate for fakemon games anyway. the reviews haven't been the best, and the MMO part of it seems super, SUPER watered down. i can hardly consider it an MMO, personally - so when people mention that as a selling point for it, i just can't take them seriously.

what WOULD make me want to buy a fakemon MMO though would be things that actually set it apart from the gameplay and aesthetics of the actual games, stuff like -

- Instead of copying Pokemon's stat system entirely, every fakemon would have their base stats, but with each levelup, their base stats increase on top of assignable points you could assign to each individual stat, replacing EV's. This would also give more flexibility in builds, such as a tanky or glass cannon fakemon. IV's however would stay the same.

- Fakemon Traits. Like some MMO pets have, when they're breeded, they start out with 3-5 random permanent traits out of dozens or even hundreds that change their stats or give them unique creative abilities. Some are objectively bad, some are good, but most would be somewhere in between. People would spend hours breeding for the best Fakemon with perfect traits for PVP.

- A LOT of trainer customization, and getting certain rare clothing drops from wild battles, or even premium limited clothing from winning tournaments or getting a high ELO in ranked play. Perhaps a monthly clothing item for reaching a certain rank each season, similar to what Hearthstone does.

- Fakemon clothing or accessories, with rare drops/premium stuff similar to above. This would all be cosmetic, of course.

- A TRUE open world, with very large, expansive areas with no borders, being able to find content and other players wherever you go.

- Occasional PVE events with special limited time items, furniture and clothing

- A player market system with an interactive economy and a lively trading community. Every item would have it's own value and rarity that players would sought after and trade for.

- Being able to use certain Fakemon as mounts.

- Housing and housing customization. This would mostly be cosmetic and for hanging out with friends, but maybe there could be some interactive benefit to certain furniture/houses?

- A bunch of side content, such as trading and housing like I listed above. Maybe other ways to use your Fakemon, like talent contests, races or beauty pageants. Perhaps a real-time battling mode/area?

- Being able to inspect anyone's trainer cards to see what badges they have, how much money they have, how much of the global fakedex they finished, their current team, their clothing inventory, how many talent contests/pageants they won, etc.

- User titles, similar to what some MMOs have, that unlock when you complete certain goals, and being able to feature them under your overworld name for everyone to see. It would be like an achievement system for perfectionists.

- Overworld character skills like cooking (good meals give your fakemon temporary PVE boosts), fishing (higher rate of catching rare water fakemon), etc.

- Clans and clan wars. Though these would probably be called "teams". There would be a ranked team war system where members from each team face off in individual battles, with whoever having the most wins, winning the overall war. There could be team specific events that reward the entire clan with clothing and items.

- And last but not least, breaking away from the Pokemon formula, with an all new original story.

i could really go on and on about it, i really think a pet based MMO would be really neat, even if it wasn't a fakemon game in the slightest.

Kinare

RAWR
- Instead of copying Pokemon's stat system entirely, every fakemon would have their base stats, but with each levelup, their base stats increase on top of assignable points you could assign to each individual stat, replacing EV's. This would also give more flexibility in builds, such as a tanky or glass cannon fakemon. IV's however would stay the same.

Well, that's essentially what EVs are, except EVs are more of a grind that happens in and out of leveling up. I'd prefer the way you said it here, but in the end they're basically the same. The main difference in TemTem is the fact that there's more EVs (they're called TVs in TT) up to 500 per stat or 1k overall. Makes more of a difference in the long run than Pokemon's 500ish limit so you can really feel that custom role.

- Fakemon Traits. Like some MMO pets have, when they're breeded, they start out with 3-5 random permanent traits out of dozens or even hundreds that change their stats or give them unique creative abilities. Some are objectively bad, some are good, but most would be somewhere in between. People would spend hours breeding for the best Fakemon with perfect traits for PVP.

While I like this idea, I don't think it's viable for competitive and the way they have breeding set up would make this hell (though I did propose changes to it, and if they were accepted I could see this suggestion working with them). Thing is, you already have to breed for the perfect IVs, then you have to breed for egg moves, then the perfect ability, then to add personality traits on top of that... yikes. For me as a breeder I would love more depth to it, but the competitive community is already bitching about breeding being too hard and complicated. v.v

- A LOT of trainer customization, and getting certain rare clothing drops from wild battles, or even premium limited clothing from winning tournaments or getting a high ELO in ranked play. Perhaps a monthly clothing item for reaching a certain rank each season, similar to what Hearthstone does.

- A player market system with an interactive economy and a lively trading community. Every item would have it's own value and rarity that players would sought after and trade for.

- A bunch of side content, such as trading and housing like I listed above. Maybe other ways to use your Fakemon, like talent contests, races or beauty pageants. Perhaps a real-time battling mode/area?

- Being able to use certain Fakemon as mounts.

- Housing and housing customization. This would mostly be cosmetic and for hanging out with friends, but maybe there could be some interactive benefit to certain furniture/houses?

- Clans and clan wars. Though these would probably be called "teams". There would be a ranked team war system where members from each team face off in individual battles, with whoever having the most wins, winning the overall war. There could be team specific events that reward the entire clan with clothing and items.

These make me wonder how much you've seen of the game before judging it as just another Fakemon game. Those things are either in the game now or are on the roadmap. I'm especially excited for housing, mounts, and the clubs (aka clans) with dojos myself.

The rest I didn't quote I sort of agree with, but won't waste your time or mine commenting on each individual one, and some of them I think is in/planned but not 100% sure so didn't add it to the list I did quote.

Stratelier

the reviews haven't been the best,
Bearing in mind that being Early Access means the developer is actively working on it and this is not a finished product ... not saying it is (or will become) the No Man's Sky of creature-collecting RPGs (and it's not unfair to critique what's available on the plate so far), but maybe give it a year to grow and evolve....

Rayd

profound asshole
Bearing in mind that being Early Access means the developer is actively working on it and this is not a finished product ... not saying it is (or will become) the No Man's Sky of creature-collecting RPGs (and it's not unfair to critique what's available on the plate so far), but maybe give it a year to grow and evolve....

which is why i'm cautious about trying it as it stands. if by the time it reaches a full release and the reviews are better, then i may be more open to giving it a shot. i'm pretty stubborn when it comes to not following hype trains for games, especially when they're replicating an already existing game or franchise.