• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

ThankYou Shouts

SlushPuppy

A little bit daft.
I've noticed two users so far that request to not recieve Thank You's for favorites or watching...

I don't mind receiving them, and I give them as well (sometimes rather belated but meh)

According to the two people I noticed that don't ever want them- they're viewed as spam, and not honest appreciation for their support of the artist. Before these two, I had never seen it that way... While I understand their reasoning, I still don't feel that way...

It made me curious... How many others feel that way about receiving thank you's from an artist? And what put you in that mind frame?

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
I am usually indifferent to most of the things on the internet.

However in this case, i am always a bit excited if i receive a reply from a person i watched or faved the art of - it gives me an opportunity to talk to them more, which otherwise poses a slight problem, as i am kind of shy.

But that largely depends on the reason why i watched someone. Some art motivates me, and some is just a pretty sight. In the latter case, i simply use the "watch" as a service to make it a bit more convenient for myself to filter out what i have chosen from the rest.

Most of the time i'm still indifferent though.

Stratelier

I don't mind them, because for one, I almost never fave anything anyway.

(I've been on dA for two years and still have yet to fill up a page of 24 faves. And dA doesn't notify you if people comment on your userpage.)

AerusalePhoxJr

Is worse then WEEGEE
i hate them...i hate them so must i can just try to hack FA just to close my shout box...

.....but i won't(can't)

but i don't mind seeing them anyways....

SlushPuppy

A little bit daft.
yak said:
I am usually indifferent to most of the things on the internet.

However in this case, i am always a bit excited if i receive a reply from a person i watched or faved the art of - it gives me an opportunity to talk to them more, which otherwise poses a slight problem, as i am kind of shy.

But that largely depends on the reason why i watched someone. Some art motivates me, and some is just a pretty sight. In the latter case, i simply use the "watch" as a service to make it a bit more convenient for myself to filter out what i have chosen from the rest.

Most of the time i'm still indifferent though.

I think you and I watch stuff for the same basic reasons :)

SlushPuppy

A little bit daft.
Stratadrake said:
I don't mind them, because for one, I almost never fave anything anyway.

(I've been on dA for two years and still have yet to fill up a page of 24 faves. And dA doesn't notify you if people comment on your userpage.)

I'm pretty choosy about fav'ing stuff too.

I don't like that DA doesn't tell me when people comment or watch me :(

LimeyKat

luvs her sum fuzzy anime
Personally I find it weird and a tad obsessive to leave a thank you for every single action performed. I don't require a personalized message thanking me for browsing something on the internet which is a daily activity. You don't stop and thank someone for smiling at you in passing do you?

Despite the "?" I'm not debating with anyone, just stating how I view it.

Stratelier

I don't like that DA doesn't tell me when people comment or watch me
dA notifies you of being +Watched -- or should I say it notifies you of being +Friended, it's just that whenever you click the 'Watch this deviant' link it automatically +Friends them. It notifies you of comments and replies except for comments on your userpage.

coffinberry

i'd think it was honest appreciation of most people who fav'd shit didn't consecatively fav everything that shows up on the front page

SlushPuppy

A little bit daft.
LimeyKat said:
Personally I find it weird and a tad obsessive to leave a thank you for every single action performed. I don't require a personalized message thanking me for browsing something on the internet which is a daily activity. You don't stop and thank someone for smiling at you in passing do you?

Despite the "?" I'm not debating with anyone, just stating how I view it.

My personal actions are usually to thank them for a watch, and first fav. If it's been a long time between fav's, and I've forgotten they've fav'd me before, I might end up doing it again.

I try to check every page to see if they've requested no comments in their profile. But usually I see nothing of the sort. Except for those two, but one of them told me there's somewhere around 12 that they know of with a request not to written in their profile.

If I see someone smile at me, I nod and smile back. :) That's a form of thanks, appreciation, and acknowledgment.

DragonMagica said:
I mean it's not something to throw a fit and leave FA over (from what I heard someone did, which is stupid).

Really? Wooow... C_C

Stratadrake said:
I don't like that DA doesn't tell me when people comment or watch me
dA notifies you of being +Watched -- or should I say it notifies you of being +Friended, it's just that whenever you click the 'Watch this deviant' link it automatically +Friends them. It notifies you of comments and replies except for comments on your userpage.

Yeah, that friends thing, confuzzles me. And, I've missed a lot of userpage comments for a long time because I didn't know to look :(

coffinberry said:
i'd think it was honest appreciation of most people who fav'd shit didn't consecatively fav everything that shows up on the front page

I'm sorry, you're totally going to have to rephrase that for me...
you're saying...
if they didn't consecutively favorite everything? right?

I wasn't aware that people did that :) I know sometimes things are a rather giant popularity war, but I'm not part of it. The way I find artists is by following comments and interesting avatars a lot of the time. I don't usually use the front page OR the browse feature...

KristynLioness

aka Koudoawaia
I only mind them if they say only that and don't say something about my art too while they're on /my/ gallery page. I'd rather someone note me their thanks rather than leave it on my gallery if they don't plan to say something about my art in addition.

coffinberry

SlushPuppy said:
coffinberry said:

I'm sorry, you're totally going to have to rephrase that for me...
you're saying...
if they didn't consecutively favorite everything? right?

I wasn't aware that people did that :) I know sometimes things are a rather giant popularity war, but I'm not part of it. The way I find artists is by following comments and interesting avatars a lot of the time. I don't usually use the front page OR the browse feature...

sorry, my phrasing of english sentences is bad. i hate to see people who favorite everything that comes to the front page... i can tell who these ppl are, and i won't go to their page to thank them.

Dickie

Uhm.... maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that kind of the purpose of the shoutbox? If you want to have a real conversation with someone, that's what notes are for. There's even a maximum character limit to prevent people from creating huge shouts, which in turn makes it difficult to say much else other than "Thanks for the watch!" or "Lovely gallery" or "Where'd you get your icon?"

Nine of ten times, shouts on my page are either variants of the above mentioned, or responses to said variants that I've left on someone else's page. Every now and then, someone will post something else on my page, but more people send those something elses in notes, rather than leaving them out in the open.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Well if you leave a shout thanking them for a watch and/or favorite, they have the ability to delete the shout off their page, so to me the user has an option to delete "spam" so I don't see the problem.

Stratelier

i hate to see people who favorite everything that comes to the front page... i can tell who these ppl are, and i won't go to their page to thank them.
..."Favemongers". Ugh.

Yeah, that friends thing, confuzzles me.
Subscribed dA users get to display a "Friends" box on their userpage, that is all it does.

TippyDeVil

Multiple Reality Disorder
*hangs head* well, I do +fav a lot of stuff sometimes, but I don't do everything.
Personally I fav stuff I like or I find interesting so it saves to my favorites list because I usually come across something on my way to somebody else's recommendation-commission-friend icon-similar pic-whatever. Or maybe I'm trying to follow a series I want to come back to later and that is an easy way to book mark it. When I get a chance to look through their gallery or find I'm faving several of their pieces I will, of course, +watch them so I get notice of everything posted. I do appreciate the replies for such actions, since I myself am sort of shy around new folk, and it can be a nice conversation starter, but I certianly understand if you don't want to reply to every +fav, especially if there is no personal comment.

SlushPuppy

A little bit daft.
^_^
I've found that I'm pretty picky about what I +fav. but that's me, you're you!

Honestly, if someone wants to +fav something it's their choice correct? Who am I to complain whether it means I was one in a million or 999,999,999 in a million? So don't feel guilty.

I think in the future I'll try to be more personal to someone, and if I just don't see a way to be more personal, then I won't say much at all unless there's something to say something to- ie return a message. So far this method is working well, I don't -seem- to making people angry, and instead I'm learning about other people and hopefully making them feel good!

:)
I like the input from everyone. Thank you for that!

Lynxia

I thank with Shouts for watches and also for favs, but I refuse to 'flood' over someone's gallery with Shouts. If I am already present among the viewable Shouts in someone's gallery, I will not shout again.

It is very very rare that someone actually sends me a note to thank me when I watch an artist or fav a drawing/story/song, but I think that I myself won't even take the energy to write a whole note with just a 'mere thank you' presented in more than 50 words. A thank you in a Shout should just be enough, especially if you don't know the other person. Also, time is short in some people's life and Shouts is a good method then for all this.

Shouts are removeable, so if people view it as spam, they can just go to their options and removed the Shouts which bother them. No need to go all aggro when someone didn't read the note 'Do not Shout for every fav or watch I make, damned!' in the profile or the journal. It isn't anything personal and they don't do it on purpose, surely not if they overlooked this request of the artist.

I seen these requests alot and even I sometimes go 'whoops' after posting a Thank You Shout and read on the artists main page that he/she DESPISES the Shouts. Pity...

AndyFox

I don't give them. I don't particularly want them. Reason I and some others I know don't is all they do is clutter up our user pages and push down more useful/meaningful comments off the bottom of the page.

Mitch_DLG

When someone watches me, I take it as a compliment that they enjoy my artwork. So, I take the time to thank them, often trying to leave a bit more personal message than "thanx 4 the +watch."

If someone doesn't like receiving thanks, well, that's their perogative, but not terribly respectful of the people whose art they enjoyed enough to watch. To say, "I like this artist, and I will watch them," deserves a real, "Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed my work, and I am recognizing your effort to watch me with a personal thank you."

It's common courtesy, and quite frankly I'd much rather people kept thanking each other than go cold and uncaring and gripe about someone actually using good manners.

SlushPuppy

A little bit daft.
AndyFox said:
I don't give them. I don't particularly want them. Reason I and some others I know don't is all they do is clutter up our user pages and push down more useful/meaningful comments off the bottom of the page.

But as was stated prior, kinda/sorta the point of the shouts is for simple small messages... couldn't more 'meaningful' things go in PM's or on comments in a journal? And what's so meaningless about someone appreciating your appreciation? Unless of course you don't really appreciate what was fav'd C_C

Also, I think that you can delete shouts, and, you can always view all -your- received shouts on a control page.

Just seeing it from a different angle... not trying to goad you.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
There's a deep social aspect to shouts, and thank you shouts in particular.

While looking meaningless and annoying at first glance, they give the people, watchers, the opportunity to engage in a conversation with someone, the watchee, who's art they greatly appreciate, but are too shy to be the first person to initiate that conversation. It's a lot easier to talk with someone who you are a secret fan of, when they start talking to you first.
I know it works this way for myself, and i do believe it works for others as well.