• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The art of controlling one self

Do you guys ever play competitive team based games?

I've played a few them and I really do not like how a big chunk of the player base is always toxic to the point it ruins the games for me. In this I don't necessarily mean smack talking between teams or trolling in the chats to bother the other team but actual teammates and players who should be working for the same goal but instead resort to intense whining over every small thing at bad times.

Personally I'm certain I've had my bad days over the years when playing, and I know that things has slipped out to gaming friends when they did things that didn't make much sense to me, but as a whole when teaming up with random strangers on the internet it rarely leaves my corner onto a voice or text chat unless it's fully meant to be constructive or helpful advice that will improve for the team or group.

I really get that people can yell out profanities as something happens, but do you really need to hold that voice button or spend those extra seconds to write a paragraph about someone else to show everyone how bad self control you truly have? I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I don't really understand people who are so quick to jump on the people that are there to help them whether they are better or worse. Where it's not really a case of "tough love" but rather a complete shitshow and incapability of seeing there's another person that simply made the wrong choice, wrong call or simply in no reasonable way are able to do what you wanted them to do.

Nvfygw.gif

In many titles you have some sort of option or way to mute the other team, or in some way tailor the communication so you do not need to deal with some of the "unnecessary" rabble, but in most cases you cannot completely silence your team as you'll easily miss out on important information that would assist all of you. Just because of that you're bound to get teamed up with a giant baby eventually that has a way to suck out the very fun out of the game for someone who plays these titles just as much for the team play as the potential objective of the game.

The thing is also that in many cases(not all) the further up in the skill curve you manage to get, the more tightly packed these solo players are, who cannot control themselves and are completely incapable in saying something good to anyone else, always finding something to whine about even if it honestly doesn't matter.

I cleaned out my friend list for various reasons some time ago(not necessarily because of this subject), therefore I've been a little bit more out in the wild again playing with people I wouldn't normally. I'm smart enough to understand that in most cases you are so much better off having a team of friends that know one another rather than a bunch of randoms, but when you don't have that many options it is what it is and you have to make the best of it, if only everyone saw this way too and maybe had a little stronger threshold before they open their flood gates.

Don't know about you lot but it sometimes get very awkward for me to sit there and listen to these angsty souls on the internet, talking about how people on their team suck, or how they ruined things for them, how they are better, how others should play better, but doesn't provide any constructive criticism for them to begin with and no way to improve. How their ideas are law, their plays never at fault, these kind of people ruin it for me and it seems like there's some sort of art to have self control.

Finding nice guys or gals that actually play in this kind of way has been proven very difficult, especially in these competitive games where a major skill gap whether they are better or worse than you often has the effect of also making it less fun for all of you. Even though casual modes exist in these games too, casual is not the same so you have to make a choice. You have things like where one is from, their type of personality, what games they play, availability and then of course what kind of skill level they are, add these all up and it might not be that easy to find your match.

Thinking about it, it doesn't have to be that competitive as in some cases you find people yelling and screaming, almost getting physical(not in a joking manner) on their couch just because someone shelled them in Mariocart where the objective is really clear from the starting gates. I don't want to say that these people aren't allowed to play games, but honestly, self control is super important and I don't think these kind of people go to bed at night thinking about how they appear to others, hence why it happens.

There's been many times where I've thought about/been close to just give up on most multiplayer based games for this reason, and just stick to mostly single player experiences. So far I've been really stubborn to let these kind of people take something away that I enjoy so much.

You gotta have quite some thick skin and patience(or love towards specific games) to withstand it.

Do you guys play any competitive games? Do you believe you're guilty in this kind bad behavior towards your teammates as well? Maybe even you've been in the deep parts of the multiplayer swamps but gave up on it for reasons mentioned above.

Feel free to share.​

Last edited:

SirGavintheFurred

The Comment Cavalry
I play the shooters and the likes so I have to deal with those kinds of people on a daily basis. I like to play games that require communication and teamwork like Smite and Rainbow 6 siege. I've met most of my online friends through those two games. Don't get me wrong, you'll still have people sending you messages telling you how to play the game or voice chat of them yelling at you because you 'got them killed'. As for trolling, both of those games inflict heavy punishments for toxicity, especially Smite. Another team based game I play a lot is Dead by Daylight. There are 4 survivors and 1 killer. Survivor's jobs are to escape using a lot of teamwork while the killer has no team and their job is to hunt the survivors down. The game is really good at giving you a team based experience as well as a solo experienced. Toxicity in the game is almost non-existent because its really hard to do so. Also there isn't any voice chat between the killer and the survivors. You want to know how I deal with the messages that I do get from others? I just ignore it. I know that I did well and I've heard all of the complaints before.
You just have to deal with them because they are not going away. Just find a few decent friends and play together in games.

Rant

Haters Gonna Hate
TL;DR

So ppl in sports are terrible ppl? Yes.

I stopped playing multiplayer games long time ago.

I play the shooters and the likes so I have to deal with those kinds of people on a daily basis. I like to play games that require communication and teamwork like Smite and Rainbow 6 siege. I've met most of my online friends through those two games. Don't get me wrong, you'll still have people sending you messages telling you how to play the game or voice chat of them yelling at you because you 'got them killed'. As for trolling, both of those games inflict heavy punishments for toxicity, especially Smite. Another team based game I play a lot is Dead by Daylight. There are 4 survivors and 1 killer. Survivor's jobs are to escape using a lot of teamwork while the killer has no team and their job is to hunt the survivors down. The game is really good at giving you a team based experience as well as a solo experienced. Toxicity in the game is almost non-existent because its really hard to do so. Also there isn't any voice chat between the killer and the survivors. You want to know how I deal with the messages that I do get from others? I just ignore it. I know that I did well and I've heard all of the complaints before.
You just have to deal with them because they are not going away. Just find a few decent friends and play together in games.

It's probably true that there's some titles that work better than others, not played Dead by daylight myself but I'm sure it would be a fun thing for those who enjoy the games. I'm not fully certain if it's meant to be a competitive game though despite it being pvp? Possibly a bit more on the casual side. RB6 siege I do believe tried to be more of such but yet again it's a title I've not explored too much so I cannot give my opinion on it or the type of players you're likely to bump into when playing competitive mode c:

In the end it's really about how much you like some of these games and deal with these users, digging through the swamp to find some people that would be good to play with if you're starting fresh.

SirGavintheFurred

The Comment Cavalry
It's probably true that there's some titles that work better than others, not played Dead by daylight myself but I'm sure it would be a fun thing for those who enjoy the games. I'm not fully certain if it's meant to be a competitive game though despite it being pvp? Possibly a bit more on the casual side. RB6 siege I do believe tried to be more of such but yet again it's a title I've not explored too much so I cannot give my opinion on it or the type of players you're likely to bump into when playing competitive mode c:

In the end it's really about how much you like some of these games and deal with these users, digging through the swamp to find some people that would be good to play with if you're starting fresh.
Dead by Daylight is PvP, but it does this in a unique way. See, there are five generators that take a good minute and a half to work on. Once they are completed, two exit gates appear. They are usually on opposite sides of the map. Exit gates take a good thirty seconds to open. Once you go through those exit gates, you win. Like I said before, there are four survivors and one killer. All the different kinds of survivors and killers have 3 unique perks that can be given to other survivors/killers by leveling them up. There are also regular perks any survivor/killer can get by leveling up. Survivors/killers get to use 4 perks. The killer's job is to killer all four survivors. How do they do so? Killers will have there single unique ability, but I won't go too in depth with that plus they have their normal 'hit' attack. It takes two hits to down a survivor. After you hit a survivor, your killer character wipes off the blood on their weapon using an animation and this puts survivors into an injured state, but gives the survivors opportunity to escape while the killer cleans of the blood. You can then pick up downed survivors and place them on hooks. If they are left unattended they will either die which takes a long time and costs the killer points or they will be healed into the injured state by a survivor. After they are hooked 3 times, they are dead. If you are on a hook, you cannot do anything. After being hooked the first time you do have three trys to pull yourself off the hook, but its a 4% chance and if you faill all three, then the next time you are hooked, you die. Your team mates must come and pull you off the hook. If they do this, they get extra in-game currency for doing so rather than working on generators. Luckily for the survivors, there are plenty of obstacles and 'pallets of wood' that the survivors can use to get away. The pallets can be thrown down in front of the killer's path slowing them down. Killers can then A. Walk around the pallet which takes a bit of time or B. Destroy the pallet which takes an animation that takes more time. If they leave the pallet be, then other survivors can slide across it to get away. The killer can only destroy pallets once are thrown down by survivor. The killer cannont be killed, but what makes the game fun for survivors is getting away or tricking killers into thinking they did something that they did not. Lets say your teammates didn't work together well (which rarely happens) and they all die. Well as long as you completed two out of the fives generators, a hatch will appear somewhere on the map allowing you an alternative escape. The killer also has a very distinctive hearbeat sound. The louder it is, the closer the killer is to you. Survivors cannot see each other or the killer and the killer cannot see survivors. This adds a lot of tension to the game as you hope to bump into another survivor while the killer hopes to do the same. There is a lot more to the game and while that does sound a bit overwhelming, the game is actually surprisingly simple. The survivors work together to survive giving you a satisfying teamwork feeling while the killer is solo and makes you feel in control. I love Dead by Daylight as its on of my favorite games. One of the biggest things about the game is mind games. The killer and survivors are trying to get into each others heads.'Will he go this way?' 'Is he working on that generator' etc., etc.
Sorry for the wall of text haha, but I hope that you try it out and enjoy the game as much as I have.

Last edited:

Rayd

profound asshole
Toxicity in the game is almost non-existent because its really hard to do so.

I've personally found Dead by Daylight to have one of the most toxic communities out of all the games I have played over the years. Not only do you need to private your profile to avoid getting angry comments, but as a survivor, you can do the slightest thing wrong and people will sandbag you out of spite (though this doesn't happen often at high ranks.) There's tons of things people can do during and after the game that affects gameplay and the community.

As a survivor, you can;
-Teabag.
-Bodyblock other survivors.
-Hookrush
-Run Decisive Strike, Object of Obsession, Sprint Burst, etc.
-Point at the killer as BM at every pallet.
-Use SWF w/comms
-Use a skeleton key.
-Taunt at the exit gate, not leaving until the killer chases you out.

And that's not including what you can do with flashlights...With them...

-Flashlight spam.
-Running Bond, Empathy or Object of Obsession specifically to follow chases and get flashlight saves.
-Blinding the killer at every pallet.

But killers can do a lot too, such as...

-Tunnel
-Facecamp/proxycamp
-Shaking/Nodding your head after a down/hook.
-Hitting a hooked survivor.
-Teabag (If you're the pig, lol.)
-Slugging everyone as a win condition
-Running perks that are centered around camping/tunneling/slugging.
-Letting the last survivor(s) bleed out on the floor when they're all down instead of hooking them, forcing them to do nothing as they wait an extra 5 minutes for the same result.
-Running blatantly overpowered addons/offerings. (ex. Iridescent heads, etc.)

Not to mention the aftergame lobby chat, which is usually filled with salt or people exclaiming "GG EZ XD". There's far too many unavoidable ways to be toxic, and there's a very strong "us vs them" mentality between survivor mains and killer mains, both sides having whiners and toxic people alike, which the devs constantly crack under and make changes according to their tantrums. It's a mess, especially in the community outside the game on forums and in steamers' chats, with people constantly bickering back and forth about balance and whatnot. The truth is that, as an asymmetrical game, killers should be stronger than survivors, but weren't for a very long time, but after some recent updates, killers finally gained their rightful place as a powerful force, and as you may have guessed, yes, survivors complained, oh did they complain.

I have over 400 hours in DBD, and have seen it all. Though despite it all, I'd still personally reccomend the game, as I've fell in love with it. I've reached rank 1 with both survivors and killers, and have no real preference, and I think both have very different feels and are very fun! I'd definitely recommend alternating between both.

Last edited:

Reiv

I still have problems accepting that I'm a furry
I play Overwatch and I never ever went to any competitive game, because for two reasons.
1. I won't be able to take the pressure and tension of the competitive side.
2. All the toxic player who tell me that I'm the worst player and I should go and die while those people just run into the enemies mindlessly.
I hate competitive section of games mainly for these two reasons. People just can't accept that it's just a game and losing a few ranks mean nothing, well for me it means nothing. So I'm totally fine with casual matches.

SirGavintheFurred

The Comment Cavalry
I've personally found Dead by Daylight to have one of the most toxic communities out of all the games I have played over the years. Not only do you need to private your profile to avoid getting angry comments, but as a survivor, you can do the slightest thing wrong and people will sandbag you out of spite (though this doesn't happen often at high ranks.) There's tons of things people can do during and after the game that affects gameplay and the community.

As a survivor, you can;
-Teabag.
-Bodyblock other survivors.
-Hookrush
-Run Decisive Strike, Object of Obsession, Sprint Burst, etc.
-Point at the killer as BM at every pallet.
-Use SWF w/comms
-Use a skeleton key.
-Taunt at the exit gate, not leaving until the killer chases you out.

And that's not including what you can do with flashlights...With them...

-Flashlight spam.
-Running Bond, Empathy or Object of Obsession specifically to follow chases and get flashlight saves.
-Blinding the killer at every pallet.

But killers can do a lot too, such as...

-Tunnel
-Facecamp/proxycamp
-Shaking/Nodding your head after a down/hook.
-Hitting a hooked survivor.
-Teabag (If you're the pig, lol.)
-Slugging everyone as a win condition
-Running perks that are centered around camping/tunneling/slugging.
-Letting the last survivor(s) bleed out on the floor when they're all down instead of hooking them, forcing them to do nothing as they wait an extra 5 minutes for the same result.
-Running blatantly overpowered addons/offerings. (ex. Iridescent heads, etc.)

Not to mention the aftergame lobby chat, which is usually filled with salt or people exclaiming "GG EZ XD". There's far too many unavoidable ways to be toxic, and there's a very strong "us vs them" mentality between survivor mains and killer mains, both sides having whiners and toxic people alike, which the devs constantly crack under and make changes according to their tantrums. It's a mess, especially in the community outside the game on forums and in steamers' chats, with people constantly bickering back and forth about balance and whatnot. The truth is that, as an asymmetrical game, killers should be stronger than survivors, but weren't for a very long time, but after some recent updates, killers finally gained their rightful place as a powerful force, and as you may have guessed, yes, survivors complained, oh did they complain.

I have over 400 hours in DBD, and have seen it all. Though despite it all, I'd still personally reccomend the game, as I've fell in love with it. I've reached rank 1 with both survivors and killers, and have no real preference, and I think both have very different feels and are very fun! I'd definitely recommend alternating between both.
I my opinion, I disagree. There isn't really teabagging, it's really just spam crouching in front of the killer. Teabagging has never upset me and it especially doesn't in Dead by Daylight. Plus teabagging is in almost any game and if it does upset you, you're better off sticking to PvE games. I've only had one survivor body block me ever and I reported him immidietly after. To be fair though, I'm a killer main. As for hookrushing, go right ahead. I usually keep a good eye on the hook before I leave and if they do hook rush and pull it off, it's really the killer's fault in my opinion. Decisive strike is getting nerfed, I agree with you on sprint bursting, and I don't mind object of obsession. Pointing at pallets just screws them up most of the time and, again, that kind of stuff doesn't upset me. Skeleton key is ultra-rare and it hurts to lose it. Taunting at exit gate doesn't upset me either. In fact, I like it because I can sometimes get a free hit off or on a good day, I can kill a survivor who was too cocky. Flashlight spamming isn't a thing anymore after the insta blind nerf as you can simply look up now.
I think running bond, empathy, etc. is the whole point of those perks so that you can flashlight save. As killer, to avoid this you simply pick them up while looking at a wall or chase them off. Personally, I do tunnel as a killer unless that particular survivor has another survivor body block my movement. Teabagging as pig is funnily stupid. It shows the lengths that people will go just to troll and it looks ridiculous with that slow animation. I don't really have an opnion on perks that help camping and slugging. As for letting the survivor bleed-out, I don't do that on purpose, but I don't mind it being done to me as the killer loses bloodpoints for that. As for powerful add ons, again ultra-rare and usually not worth it as its just the one game. I rarely run add-ons on my killers and I don't do anything on the list except tunneling (Kind-of) so respectful killers do exist. The only stupid thing that killers do that I think should be fixed is camping. They do waste time they could be spending patrolling generators, but its not enough.
Keep in mind though, this is just my opinion. You are entitled to your own. That is all.

Last edited:
I usually die within the first 2 minutes of a shooter game... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I’m so terrible that people don’t even bother to brag

Rayd

profound asshole
I my opinion, I disagree. There isn't really teabagging, it's really just spam crouching in front of the killer. Teabagging has never upset me and it especially doesn't in Dead by Daylight. Plus teabagging is in almost any game and if it does upset you, you're better off sticking to PvE games. I've only had one survivor body block me ever and I reported him immidietly after. To be fair though, I'm a killer main. As for hookrushing, go right ahead. I usually keep a good eye on the hook before I leave and if they do hook rush and pull it off, it's really the killer's fault in my opinion. Decisive strike is getting nerfed, I agree with you on sprint bursting, and I don't mind object of obsession. Pointing at pallets just screws them up most of the time and, again, that kind of stuff doesn't upset me. Skeleton key is ultra-rare and it hurts to lose it. Taunting at exit gate doesn't upset me either. In fact, I like it because I can sometimes get a free hit off or on a good day, I can kill a survivor who was too cocky. Flashlight spamming isn't a thing anymore after the insta blind nerf as you can simply look up now.
I think running bond, empathy, etc. is the whole point of those perks so that you can flashlight save. As killer, to avoid this you simply pick them up while looking at a wall or chase them off. Personally, I do tunnel as a killer unless that particular survivor has another survivor body block my movement. Teabagging as pig is funnily stupid. It shows the lengths that people will go just to troll and it looks ridiculous with that slow animation. I don't really have an opnion on perks that help camping and slugging. As for letting the survivor bleed-out, I don't do that on purpose, but I don't mind it being done to me as the killer loses bloodpoints for that. As for powerful add ons, again ultra-rare and usually not worth it as its just the one game. I rarely run add-ons on my killers and I don't do anything on the list except tunneling (Kind-of) so respectful killers do exist. The only stupid thing that killers do that I think should be fixed is camping. They do waste time they could be spending patrolling generators, but its not enough.
Keep in mind though, this is just my opinion. You are entitled to your own. That is all.
Teabagging is teabagging, and It's not about whether it bothers you or not, It's still toxic behavior, and DBD is full of it. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, as both sides are able to be just as toxic, and I wouldn't have gotten rank 1 in both sides if it did. I also meant hookrushing in the sense that its toxic to the survivor being unhooked unless the unhooker has BT and the gates are open. If you use bond/empathy/OoO specifically for flashlight saves, then that's toxic, as you're doing something less productive than doing gens to fuck with the killer. If I see anyone with a flashlight or a key in the lobby, I equip Franklin's, and use Slow Release Toxin and Rusty Attachments, and tunnel the shit out of them. Tunneling pig is probably the most toxic killer build ever, but flashlight users have it coming to them. Being able to teabag them while they die is probably the sweetest part about being a pig main.

kaffekane

"Bad Dingo!" -Baka Sukonku
I usually die within the first 2 minutes of a shooter game... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I’m so terrible that people don’t even bother to brag

This is me, too. D2 Crucible bounties are a super pain when I can't aim or snap react worth a fuck.

This is me, too. D2 Crucible bounties are a super pain when I can't aim or snap react worth a fuck.
Yeah, even if you suck, it can be annoying to hear a 12 year old scream omg get rekt scrub kys you nooob, it’s not just a shooter game thing, I’ve heard this crap on racing games too,

I was driving a classic 60s car that I had just bought, when some kid rear ended me, and continued to wreck into me, then messaged me:
What a lame car you noob, go kys

People like that annoy me, it’s just a game, and I’ll play how I want to :/

kaffekane

Yeah, even if you suck, it can be annoying to hear a 12 year old scream omg get rekt scrub kys you nooob, it’s not just a shooter game thing, I’ve heard this crap on racing games too,

I was driving a classic 60s car that I had just bought, when some kid rear ended me, and continued to wreck into me, then messaged me:
What a lame car you noob, go kys

People like that annoy me, it’s just a game, and I’ll play how I want to :/

What game was it, by chance? If it was a PC title, he could have been running a cheat trainer and not been able to steer for crap due to MAXIMUM SPEEEEEEEEDDE

What game was it, by chance? If it was a PC title, he could have been running a cheat trainer and not been able to steer for crap due to MAXIMUM SPEEEEEEEEDDE
It was Forza horizon 2 if I recall correctly

kaffekane

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
I strongly dislike every game that makes me multiplayer to get the "full experience."

I don't have a ton of friends. I just want to play a game. When I want to play a game, I want to have fun, not stress out about x y or z. Every single time I try any competitive game or any MMO I just can't. God forbid you not be at your game 24/7/365, god forbid you make a mistake, and god forbid you be a newer player or someone that needs more time to learn.

I don't like them and I strongly dislike how many games nowadays are making me multiplayer if I want to play past the tutorial. (Basically)

I strongly dislike every game that makes me multiplayer to get the "full experience."

I don't have a ton of friends. I just want to play a game. When I want to play a game, I want to have fun, not stress out about x y or z. Every single time I try any competitive game or any MMO I just can't. God forbid you not be at your game 24/7/365, god forbid you make a mistake, and god forbid you be a newer player or someone that needs more time to learn.

I don't like them and I strongly dislike how many games nowadays are making me multiplayer if I want to play past the tutorial. (Basically)
I think I get you yeah, though arguably of course any game that even has a multiplayer mode in it no matter how big or small you'd kinda need to play MP it a bit to get the full experience of the game even if it's single player focused.
Obviously however games that lock down content to MP players only is very common since that's where most players will end up in the longer term, can easily make other people miss out that actively do not want to dive into the angst pit.

"I just want to have fun" is pretty much it, just a bit rough when you also know how fun a multiplayer game can be with the right people, that little pressure thing into doing things right for your team and helping one another out can be awesome just as much as it can be bad.
People do need time to learn, this is very true.