• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Beatles

Nargle

HOOT
Am I the only one that's kind of offended when whenever there's a deep song by the Beatles, everyone always said "Man, they must have been sooo high!!"

Yeah, I know they did drugs and some of their songs were more then likely inspired by them. But seriously, is it impossible to be creative or philosophical without being baked? There are a lot of songs I've heard by them where I can actually pick out a lot of symbolism and such. Like the Yellow Submarine. But apparently the drugs get all the credit.

I've never done drugs in my life, and I think my artwork can get creative. So it's possible. By saying the Beatles couldn't think of anything without being high is like saying they're not actually artistic in any way, they're just lucky that their disoriented drug-induced babbling turned into some neat lyrics. That's a pretty cruel insult.

hillbilly guy

i gots me a scatter gun
drugs dont make the mind you are still you inside and what you say is you drugs are more or less just something to open the flood gates, some of the things you say make sence but alot of it dont

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
Maybe if they had taken a lot of drugs, they would have made better music.

/Flame on.

Magikian

Cecret Blown Susiness.
I am honestly waiting for WolfBone to write a wall of text about this.

But yeah, by what I hear, weed = creativity. And most songs inspired by drugs are more liked than ridiculed, that I have noticed.

Nargle

HOOT
I am honestly waiting for WolfBone to write a wall of text about this.

But yeah, by what I hear, weed = creativity. And most songs inspired by drugs are more liked than ridiculed, that I have noticed.

I've known a lot of people who do weed, and the large majority of them produced not a lot more then a big ol' dent in their couch.

So I don't think weed is synonymous with creativity. Maybe there creative people that do weed, but I don't think they really relate to each other much.

BTW, not bashing potheads. Just going off of personal experience.

Magikian

Cecret Blown Susiness.
Oh, I didn't say that ALL potheads are creative, I just said I heard it helps.

Prowler

The Dudes more chill cousin
well I dont want to interupt your discussion but I have to due to experience, not knowledge. I have done alot of drugs, and all i can say about the subject being discussed is that weed doesnt always help creativity, but it can help bring around some ideas you may otherwise never have had, good or bad(my theory about this is because if your a pothead u smoke to "relax", and when the mind is relaxed it can see what it wants more clearly) as for other drugs, i dont know all of what the beatles did but LSD is a whole new world compared to weed. I never did it regularily but If I ever had done it when not at a show, I dont think i would have been able to sit down and create something beautiful(never did it not at a show tho) and I could give some my personal experience/insight into some other drugs too but i dont think its necessary.
BTW I dont do any drugs anymore incase anybody cares

Am I the only one that's kind of offended when whenever there's a deep song by the Beatles, everyone always said "Man, they must have been sooo high!!"

The Beatles already had years of songwriting experience behind them before they got stuck into drugs though.

I think maybe people wish it was the drugs because their respective mediocrity complexes can't fathom anyone deliberately being a musical genius.

emptyF

where my frogs at?
the beatles are overrated, pure and simple. they're good, just not as good as everyone says they are. and yes, they smoked a lot of reefer and did their fair share of acid, but it really didn't matter, they were good songwriters with or without that influence.

virus

TROLLUS MAXIMUS
the beatles are overrated, pure and simple. they're good, just not as good as everyone says they are. and yes, they smoked a lot of reefer and did their fair share of acid, but it really didn't matter, they were good songwriters with or without that influence.

Your kidding me right? Music as we know it wouldn't exist without their upcoming.

Defender

the obvious identity
The Beatles did a lot of neat stuff with studio production that was fantastic and ahead of its time. Since they were around, a lot more musically adventurous musicians have come around, so I don't think the Beatles should be put on a pedestal for being "first" and supposedly causing all other music since then or whatever. I mean, people don't think Latin is the best language ever simply because it was an early precursor to English or other languages, do they?

Nargle

HOOT
By the by, I'm not trying to say the Beatles is the best band in the world. It's pretty neat, and I enjoy a lot of their songs. They're not my absolute favorite, though.

But they were very creative and inspired a lot of people. They made a lot of excellent works of art, but it seems people want to give all the credit to the drugs. I mean.. nowadays there are plenty of bands with abstract themes and lyrics. But people don't go around saying "Yup, they were high while making this song."

I honestly think it's because they're associated with hippies, and that's the only reason. There are a LOT of musicians that do drugs, not just the hippies. But I guess it's because they're famous for their drug use. Hell, I would think some uncreative rapper droning on during a boring hip-hop song was high before I would think the Beatles were. Laffy Taffy? What!?

Grimfang

The Beatles are gods in the realm of music. Not only for the influence and representation of an era, but they did some amazing things musically. I'll have to dig up something that was analyzing exactly how they were groundbreaking.. not just by the music they wrote, but the techniques they used.

Also, the Beatles began their musical career before they started any kind of drug-use, so you can always throw that out. A lot of the music around today probably never would've been inspired if the Beatles hadn't have done what they did.

Kimmerset

Banned
Banned
Well not that I do drugs, but I'm sure doing them gives you an entirely different perspective on the world, changing the way you think about anything you do; music, writing and art included.

It is inspiration for many rising artists and probably will be for a very long time.

M. LeRenard

Is not French
I mean.. nowadays there are plenty of bands with abstract themes and lyrics. But people don't go around saying "Yup, they were high while making this song."
Well... I'm pretty sure Modest Mouse writes a lot of their songs while high. In fact, one of their songs is simply about being high. And everyone I know who knows who Modest Mouse is also seems to believe that they use a lot of drugs for inspiration. So you might not be correct with this generalization.
That said, editing goes a long way. If you haven't read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, maybe give it a go. You'll learn quite a bit about the hippie era, and how people might have used drugs as inspiration. Drugs may influence the direction a song (or book, or whatever) goes, for example, but rarely does the whole thing come out perfectly formed under a cloud of funky visions or whatever. I don't really know anything about the Beatles, but something tells me this is the sort of thing they used drugs for. Trip out for a couple of hours, then look over all the funny scribbles they produced in a stupor and pull out some gems about silver hammers or what have you.
I can sort of understand that, anyway. I tend to get more creative in my writing if I've had a lot of alcohol. Too much kills it, though, I would think.
But anyway, I agree that you can't say that ALL of their music was a product of drug-use. And in fact, it seems I agree with you about everything else, too. So there you go.

C. Lupus

I bealive that the Beatels were not on dope in the beggining. But they started it once their carrier kick off. Drugs can make yourself become very artistic, and with all their talent they just become more than awsome with pot. And no they cant have been high 24/7, or else their brains would been really slow.

CraskWolf

Interesting fact: According to Paul McCartney's biography (one of I suppose), Bob Dylan introduced the Beatles to pot.

Whether it's true or not, it makes for a wicked anecdote.

Also, the fact that some of the creativity of the Beatles may have been drug-fuelled doesn't take away from their amazing songwriting/creative talents. It's just that little something extra which pushed them away from songs like A Hard Days Night etc... towards Blue Jay Way, Flying, I Am The Walrus type music. The musical ground they broke in their clean-phase just set the ground work for their tripped out phase.

Kano

Beatlemaniac
The Beatles are my number one favorite band of all time. I agree with you completely! I get really offended when people just brush them off as pot-heads and say that their songs are only put together from the hallucinations they experienced. I mean, sure, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds WAS based on their experiments with LSD (John Lennon said so himself, although the acronym was untrue) the majority of their songs have deep meanings =D