• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Canadian Accent

Cotoncandie

The Maritimes are the most eastern provinces, the provinces bordering against the Atlantic Ocean... At least that's how I understand it to be (though I've heard, though Newfoundland is on the Atlantic, they don't consider themselves part of the Maritimes... Perhaps someone from that area can clarify? I've only been as far east as Winnipeg :p )

Only three provinces make up the maritimes: New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and, of course, Nova Scotia. :)

Sunny_Otter

Whatsa Motter?
I know people say they can never hear their own accent, but it always feels weird when people on vent tell me to talk more so they can hear the "Cute Canadian Accent". I mean I'm from Ontario, folks on TV from US stations sound like they have no accent to me. :)

I can pick out New Jersey/Philly/Albany area accent out only because for some reason I know so many people around there, it still sounds pretty subtle to me.

CAThulu

In FAF CAThulu lies dreaming..
According to a guy I work with who's studying in Ontario from Pensylvania, Canadians run through their vowels when they speak. It's not as pronounced, aparantly. It's not like we only use consonants, but the sounds of the vowels are lessened.

For example, in Sarnia ontario the older folks will say 'clamity corners' instead of calamity corners. There's also 'ignert', instead of 'ignorant', and so on.

It's pretty subtle, but it's there *S*

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Newfies like to feel special, so they say they're not part of the Maritimes.

I'm not entirely certain, but I believe that because we're up closer to the Labrador Strait, that brings us away from the Maritimes. Wikipedia says it's because the Gulf of St. Lawrence separates us from the maritime provinces.

That's... Hardly wanting to feel special. It's geography.

Anyway, accents very much differ based on where you go. It's different between here (St. John's, NL) and Charlottetown, PEI, between there and Halifax, NS, ad nauseum until we get to BC and the Territories. Hell, in some provinces, there's a wide variety of accents, and case in point, even on the Eastern coast of Newfoundland, there are probably three or four distinct ones ("townies" and "baymen" are the major ones where there are accents, and some people will say that within different parts of the city, you'll hear different accents).

So yeah, from what I've read/heard, the whole "stereotypical" Canadian accent has its roots mostly in the West, though I've been told that there are those on the Western coast of Newfoundland that say "aboot". Mostly, I'd say, it's an amalgamation of many different accents throughout all of Canada. And honestly? To call it a Canadian accent is like calling a deep Southern accent an American accent.

Sew-ry, instead of Sarry
XD "Sarry" isn't the "proper" pronunciation though. That would be a pretty good example of an accent in motion. X3 It's kind of funny, that's how some people pronounce it here, too; "Sarry", "Tamarrow/Tamarrah", "Tim Harton's" (though usually just Tim's)... I used to be really bad for that when I was young, until I started to disassociate myself from the accent.

Last edited:

Runefox

What so great about a english accent o.o it isn't that awesome.

Well, I think there's a certain mystique about the fact that it isn't really an accent when you realize that the British developed the language to begin with. Then it dawns on you that you're the one with the funny accent.

And then you realize there are multiple English accents.

Unless you're talking about accents in general. In that case, I don't know, honestly. I guess maybe it's cool to hear the language from a different direction?

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
How do Canadian's say arse/ass?

Rehka

Lab Mouse Extraordinar
I'm not entirely certain, but I believe that because we're up closer to the Labrador Strait, that brings us away from the Maritimes. Wikipedia says it's because the Gulf of St. Lawrence separates us from the maritime provinces.

Ahhh I see thanks :)

So yeah, from what I've read/heard, the whole "stereotypical" Canadian accent has its roots mostly in the West, though I've been told that there are those on the Western coast of Newfoundland that say "aboot". Mostly, I'd say, it's an amalgamation of many different accents throughout all of Canada. And honestly? To call it a Canadian accent is like calling a deep Southern accent an American accent.
I always thought the stereotypical Canadian accent was the Newfoundlandish accent o_O but then I can't hear my own accent so I could be wrong, eh? Lol

greg-the-fox

I've visited southeast Canada several times (New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia) and with the vast majority of people I notice no accent, but with older people, people from Quebec and specifically men they use a lot of Canadian slang and stretch the o sound when they talk. I haven't been there in years so I really can't say but that's just what I remember.

Irreverent

People make fun of my "Sorry" a lot -- Sew-ry, instead of Sarry, but... that's how you say it here! :D

And Toronto will forever be Tarahnna. *sings old Kings tune*

We don't all sound like Lord Black of Cross Harbour.;)

Иван

I don't think it's really much of a regional thing. From B.C., all the way through Ontario people sound more or less the same. Then French Canadians have an accent that is distinct from "standard" French. Quebecois also tend to use more slang then the French. Only in Atlantic Canada have I really noticed an accent distict from other Anglophones.

>Is it just me or do people from Southern Ontario sound a little...different? I can't really put my finger on what it is... Or maybe I'm just imagining things.

Kaiit

I don't know anything about Canadian accents, but I sure wish I had a British accent.

My having a somewhat "Queen's English" accent drew a rather large amount of attention to me whilst I was in Canada. I was forever having people announce "You're from London, England?!" followed by various comments about Big Brother and Simon Cowell.

Though I'm not complaining at all, I did get treated like the queen herself during my stay there purely because of my accent. And dear me, did the teller's face ever light up when I gave her "REAL English money!"

Canadians make me giggle ^.^!

ExTo

Under the sea, near heat vents
Oh God, first post in forever. Stingray is back for a little response =D

Quebecois also tend to use more slang then the French.

Well I wouldn't necessarilly say we use *more* slang, it's just of a different sort - understanding a French person who uses French slang like Verlan is about as impossible as comprehending what a Québécois using local slang, like Joual. I would say the use of slang is perhaps more widespread in all levels of the Québécois society than the French one (being that France has more different slangs than Quebec, the French might, arguably, use International French more often when speaking among themselves... on the other hand, we in Quebec use slang to communicate with each other regardless of our region of origin since there's really only one basic slang everyone understands, which is joual). Still, the French slangs are about as cryptic and unique as Québécois slangs.

We use International French when dealing with foreigners, however, so even if it might be true we use more slang in everday life, outsiders can't really notice that unless they're trying to listen in public areas.

ExTo

hey you!! yeah you!! post here more.. DO IT.

Okay, here goes.

This is an additional post.

Job done

Silliness aside, I'm afraid I'm lacking time too much to come on the forums anymore, except in those rare instances when someone links me to them for a reason or another and I feel like replying to the one thread I'm getting linked to. :)

That's what happened here, actually! ^^

Runefox

I always thought the stereotypical Canadian accent was the Newfoundlandish accent o_O but then I can't hear my own accent so I could be wrong, eh? Lol
Well, I always thought of the stereotypical Canadian accent to sound much closer to the accents heard in Fargo. The Newfoundland accent (and Nova Scotian accent, which is similar) sounds completely different from the stereotypical Canadian accent. I'd pull up a few examples of both, but I can't be bothered. Youtube is a good resource if you're interested.

ExTo

Tryp

Some dry white toast please
And Toronto will forever be Tarahnna. *sings old Kings tune*

We don't all sound like Lord Black of Cross Harbour.;)
Only people from Tarahnna say "Tarahnna", along with "Peterburrah".

Lord Black should have won the "Worst Canadian" vote. I'm glad he renounced his citizenship.

Irreverent

Only people from Tarahnna say "Tarahnna", along with "Peterburrah".

Nah, its pretty much a GNA, GTA, GKA thing. Its not just the urbanites in TO that do this.

Lord Black should have won the "Worst Canadian" vote. I'm glad he renounced his citizenship.

Love him or hate him (a little of both for me) that man can bend the Queens English.

Sunny_Otter

Whatsa Motter?
Nah, its pretty much a GNA, GTA, GKA thing. Its not just the urbanites in TO that do this.

It's "Tranna" darnit, TRANNA. It's also "Mun Tree Awl".

Growing up, my dad used to get so mad at us if we didn't pronounce it Tor On To, so my brother still pronounces it all slow and people think he's insane.

Thaaht stowre is aaht Baiy aahnd Bloohr.