• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Daniel Kay

Scalie love
Re: The Elder Scrolls VI: Skyrim.

Look at any game trailer or sneak peak, and its the same story. The trailers are always enhanced to build up all the excitement prior to release. They always polished up and and make to look substantially better then the game itself.

Well here it wasn't a case of polishing though, it was a flat out lie. They pretty much used a "trick" to have real time shadows in the starting cell for the demo and then said "there will be real time shadows everywhere". And they must have known it doesn't work as the shadows where nowhere else in the demo, one exception might be the house they visited further into the demo... which BTW contained another lie as the "radiant AI" demonstration was 100% scripted.

They pretty much knew their stuff wasn't working and STILL praised it to the masses. THAT is not polishing, polishing would be making high rez screenshots and then doctor the lighting a bit, they deliberately faked a feature that was NOT going to work, that's flat out lying.
I don't really trust them on that till the final game is out.

Though guess that could wake one hope, that they also lied about what the plot for Skyrim is... though I think that sadly wasn't a lie.

Last edited:

Bethesda it not far off from releasing some in-game footage for the next teaser. I'm looking forward to seeing that...

Koronikov

Fallout was god awful imo

however the elder scrolls games kick ass, less guns more swords Bethesda

kashaki

All Aboard The Crazy Bus!

Just saw the new Trailer. Holy shit. I was afraid my computer would implode from the awesome.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon

I actually liked the Radiant AI - mostly because it would provide entertainment. :p

Garrus

Samuel L Jackson's Nightmare

New trailer was nice, not just exciting but I was interested to see how the art style of things had changed, like skeleton warriors having glowing eyes to look posessed and how the environment just generally looked allot more detailed. The rest of the game I'm gonna wait for more screenshots, trailer mostly focused on a few things we already saw or knew.

Open markets though I like the return of them though. Just annoyed me how every time in Oblivion you had to enter a seperate room to get to a trader.

V

Variasam2

My infatuation with Bethesda Game Studios and The Elder Scrolls series began with Oblivion, as it was due out on the newly-released 360.
I saw the first trailer, and thought... my god, that looks excellent. Those graphics!!
And then I kind of forgot about it for 6 months.
And then I saw it on the shelves for the PC, and I just had to buy it. It was pretty cheap, and was out earlier than I thought it'd be.
I installed it, played it... then kept playing it. And the moment when I exited the Imperial Sewers for the first time, and saw the vast world of Cyrodiil laid before me, I just thought...
"...My god. What have these people created?"
I had no idea what to do or where to go first. I knew I had to go find some bloke called Jauffre, but I was too captivated by the gorgeous landscapes and beautiful scenery. I decided it'd be best if I went off and explored, to get more accustomed to the controls.
Of course, this only took a matter of minutes, but I found myself unable to stop wandering.
Such a vast, rich world, full of so much to see, so much to do... I was completely unfamiliar with the lore of The Elder Scrolls series, and I was desperate to learn more.
So I stopped off at an inn and talked to some random NPCs.
I was amazed that they spoke every single word on-screen. I'd never seen a fully-voiced-dialogue system that was so vast and exhaustively detailed. I felt like I could actually talk to them. No limits. ... No boundaries. I could do WHATEVER I WANTED.
So I punched his face in and stabbed him repeatedly until he flopped to the ground in a pool of his own blood.
Giggling with warped excitement, I then proceeded to murder everybody else inside the building, whether they seemed important or not.
After finishing this pointless and psychologically unsound task, I went upstairs and slept in one of the free rooms.
That was when I learned of the Guilds, when the Dark Brotherhood first visited me.
As soon as I found out there were different factions offering different skills and quests, that was it. No turning back.
I played the game for several weeks straight, with every second of free time that I had. It was frighteningly addictive. But I couldn't help myself; an entire alternate world at my fingertips? And I could do whatever I wanted? It was a completely unique experience to me.
Obviously this went on for a fair while, and after a couple of years' worth of on-and-off gameplay, I'd pretty much exhausted Oblivion's entire library of quests. I'd done everything there was to do.
But naturally, this is Oblivion. That didn't stop me.
So I started from the beginning and did it all completely differently.
And then again. And again. And so on.
Realising that I could go on with Oblivion forever, I thought it'd be interesting to try something new. So I went back and played Morrowind.
And... and I didn't like it.
I still don't know to this day whether it was the less advanced graphics, the AI, the unimpressive sound design, the lack of dialogue, the primitive gameplay... I just really didn't like it at all. It offered a huge world, for sure, but I just felt no desire to explore it. Something was missing. Which is a tragedy, because everybody I know who played Morrowind before Oblivion say it's one of the best games ever. And I feel like I'm missing out. I'm still trying to force myself to get into it, but I don't know if that'll ever come to anything.

On a side note, I also liked Fallout 3. Nowhere near as much as Oblivion, mind. Not by a longshot. I didn't think it was as explorable or as generally beautiful to look at; post-apocalyptic, old-fashioned American wastelands don't really do it for me in terms of visuals. And I thought the narrative was pretty clunky and uninspiring. Granted, the game had some charming moments, and some pretty gorily fun parts, but I couldn't find it as replayable as Oblivion.

But Bethesda's innate ability to create and craft such inspiring, detailed, illustrious and beautiful worlds that you can just become completely immersed within, remains unchanged. I devoted hundreds of hours to these two games. I wanted to see everything the games had to offer.

Which is why I'm in a state of unbelievably rabid anticipation for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
I've been following every scrap of information about the game and its development incredibly closely, as if some insatiable hunger inside me HAS to know every single detail about Skyrim, in order to fully appreciate the experience when it's released.
And then today, when I saw the in-game trailer for the first time, and everything I'd read about was laid out in front of me, I just completely exploded with joy.
Seriously, it was quite a sight. I was actually pulling a frightening ":O" face all the way through the trailer, with the occasional girly 'squee' thrown in for good measure.

I cannot think of enough adequate adjectives to describe just how fucking excited I am for Skyrim.
Maybe because, all in all, I know that with all the talent and history that Bethesda Game Studios possesses, there's no conceivable way that this game will not succeed in some way. If it incorporates all the best things that made Oblivion and Fallout 3 the masterpieces that they were, then this could possibly be the greatest and best game I've ever played.

Because Oblivion, so far, still firmly holds that title. For me, anyway.

*Story over* :3

V

Variasam2

Haha, sorry! I got pretty carried away there. I just love TES so much :')

Xavan

Yeah, I saw the new trailer, and I love it. Graphics aren't what I'm looking for though, it's gameplay. I saw gameplay, sure, but it still leaves people in the dark and can only sedate a game fag's hunger for so long. Being as I don't have my 360 anymore for personal reasons, this is going to be hard. If I dare hear one nerd yell,"OMGZ, wen will it be heer?!11!", I will buy a fucking Wii.

kashaki

All Aboard The Crazy Bus!

Haha, sorry! I got pretty carried away there. I just love TES so much :')

I know how you feel. Even though I got FO3 before Oblivion. It is still my one of the best games Ive played.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon

IMPERIAL GUARD GRUDGEMATCH.

*punches Jauffre*
HELP HELP THERE'S A PSYCHOPATH ON THE-
*surrenders*
I accept your surrender.
*punches*
BY THE NINE ASSAULT! ASSAUL-I accept your surre-HELP HELP PSYCHIPATH ON THE LOOS-I accept your surrender.
*sits down*
*Punches Jauffre in the face and he folds over the table* x_x;

K

Kaamos

*punches Jauffre*
HELP HELP THERE'S A PSYCHOPATH ON THE-
*surrenders*
I accept your surrender.
*punches*
BY THE NINE ASSAULT! ASSAUL-I accept your surre-HELP HELP PSYCHIPATH ON THE LOOS-I accept your surrender.
*sits down*
*Punches Jauffre in the face and he folds over the table* x_x;

My favorite example.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon

I liked this and this better.

Dude I don't care if it breaks immersion, that kind of stuff is just freaking funny! XD

If I could develop some stuff, I'd have a couple NPCs talking to each other and if you listen to them enough, they say,
"Is that person still listening to us?"
"Yep."
"It's kind of creepy."
"Maybe if we talk about something boring they'll go away."
"Good."
"I saw a mudcrab the other day."
"oh terrible things, I avoid them whenever I can!"

One thing I'd kind of like to see is maybe being able to create a diversion for the Thieves Guild by causing a distraction (like putting someone to sleep in public) so the guards won't go arrest you.

And I wonder if it might be possible to lock onto a target..or for shopkeepers to at least not keep a bunch of stuff in front of them so in case your mouse or joystick slips it doesn't think you wanna steal shit from the store. (Although one time I managed to steal something from a shopkeeper and he just stood there gazing at teh door. Wow, I stole it from right under his nose the idiot!)

Last edited:

Commiecomrade

Maximum Awesome.

I installed it, played it... then kept playing it. And the moment when I exited the Imperial Sewers for the first time, and saw the vast world of Cyrodiil laid before me, I just thought...
"...My god. What have these people created?"

That's what I did, too. I actually hung out within 10 feet of that sewer and found a piece of wadded paper. I could pick it up or move it and IT WOULD STAY THERE. No matter where I put it, it's going to still be there. That little revelation was absolutely astonishing. I then proceeded to watch the sun move slowly across the sky (passage of daytime is 30x real time). I nearly threw up from amazement.

I logged 1500 HOURS into that game. It ate up so much time.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon

I like how she gets THROWN like she was a little straw doll. Retarded Havok physics dickery.

But that was funny. :< I don't care if it's unrealistic - many stuff is hilarious because it's so unrealistic!

Last edited:

Something else entertaining, is to paralyze a monster or person for a couple of seconds and then cast an area of effect destruction spell at the ground near them. Bodies go FLYING!

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."

I had no idea what to do or where to go first. I knew I had to go find some bloke called Jauffre, but I was too captivated by the gorgeous landscapes and beautiful scenery.
[...]
So I went back and played Morrowind.
And... and I didn't like it.

While I didn't see this complaint in your description directly, please tell me you at least found the world beautiful.

Such a vast, rich world, full of so much to see, so much to do... I was completely unfamiliar with the lore of The Elder Scrolls series, and I was desperate to learn more.
Oblivion isn't a good place to start for that, really. Daggerfall and Morrowind do much better, as Oblivion was literally set after a gigantic retcon (The world of Oblivion? It was supposed to be set in a tropical jungle, not Fantasy Europe w/ Biomes attached).

I still don't know to this day whether it was the less advanced graphics, the AI, the unimpressive sound design, the lack of dialogue, the primitive gameplay...
I'm going to assume you mean here the lack of spoken dialogue? As Morrowind readily has a lot of dialogue, one complaint from some people that certain topics are too much dialogue (Often in regard to main-quest info-dumps).

Maybe because, all in all, I know that with all the talent and history that Bethesda Game Studios possesses,
Bethesda does much better with showing hype-worthy stuff, then just telling you about it in-game. For example, one of the most amazingly awesome things to occur as a result of Oblivion is barely referenced in a few sources, and was entirely off-screen. You know what it was? The Redoran defense of Ald'Ruhn.