• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The end of Kooky?

Kookyfox

Bomb Rider
Hi all,

I just went on my FA page and a rather unpleasant surprise awaited me in a form of a shout from this person: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/kooky/

So yeah it seems like there's already a fursona on FA called Kooky, which s a fox, and it's owner has been there for much much longer than me.
He also is a WAY better artist than me (I won't even call myself an artist to begin with).

So I think I need to say goodbye to my fursona, which pains me a lot, since it's my fursona that I first draw, it's my fursona that enjoyed drawing over and over again,
it's my fursona that made me wanna persevere in drawing.

So yeah I might loose my fursona and I might never draw ever again...

What do you think I should do?

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
oh look, a fox with natural colours.

your originality has been stifled by something that's already been done probably hundreds of times anyways.

imho shouldn't matter.

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored
Uhm.
Literally don't give a shit. It doesn't matter if that person thinks youre copying or not. You know you aren't. And you're nobody stealing intellectual property for the sake of profit.

If it's that big of a deal, change ONE marking and bam. It's yours. It's not like the fox design is even all that original. The names are just a coincidence. Besides, your fox seems more yellow/golden. His is red.

If you would prefer to be original and think of something new then go for it. It's your sona after all.

Last edited:

mcjoel

Pepmurrmint Fox
Dude you shouldn't give a single FUCK if you share a name with someone else you know how many Joel's tgere are a shit ton mainly because of that concession comic do I care if people think I use the name because of it fuck no!

Charrio

Artistic Mouse
Lol you really shouldn't care if there are a ton of other fox characters.
It's the personality that matters, unless you are a clone of everyone else people are different as snowflakes.

Nothing like same fur coloring should really matter, its how you present yourself.

Ayattar

Banned
Banned
My name is Martin! And I'm a human! So you can't be Martin, especially being human! Impostor! Change it! Now!

Seriously?

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored
Lol I'm thinking about LupineAssasain now. "IS THAT A GENERIC COLORED WOLF WEARING RED HEADPHONES?!?!?!!! CHARACTER THEFT! CHARACTER THEFT! COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT!!!! TAKE IT DOWN NOW!!!!"

Pyper

You guys have different usernames so it really shouldn't matter. It wouldn't be a big deal if the usernames were the same anyways. There are tons of people who have the same usernames but with numbers or symbols in it as well. In all reality, it is nothing to worry about; if anything, just laugh about the coincidence.

Kookyfox

Bomb Rider
I just sent him a note saying it was all a highly unprobble coincidence, apologizing for any trouble it might have given to him, and for the the fact that I took the originlity of the name away from him. I closed the note saying I had a lot of respect for him and that I would understand if he despised me and never wanted to hear from me again.

I'm now waiting for his reaction to the whole incident, as his shout only said "Er... What?"

Pyper

I just sent him a note

And the drama begins :V

Really he probably won't make anything out of it, if he does then forget him then. No sense in letting someone dictate whether you are going to keep your original name or not. It is all up to you.

Kookyfox

Bomb Rider
And the drama begins :V

Really he probably won't make anything out of it, if he does then forget him then. No sense in letting someone dictate whether you are going to keep your original name or not. It is all up to you.

This note is actually a clever use of pathos to try and befriend him! I mean it's better if become friends than if we become ennemies right?
If he does not fall for it then it shoud at least ease up the conflict.
I'm glad I paid attention in French classes ^^

Maugryph

so far I don't know any artist that has ownership of the fox. And kooky is a common word.
Do you know how many yellow fox fursonas there are in the fandom? hundreds, how about red fox fursonas? thousands.
I wouldn't worry much about it, since the artist can do jack squat about it.

dirtypaws

STRETCH ARMSTRONG
Literally everything has been done before, we are all in some way "ripping off" someone else. you are a naturally colored fox with the name kooky, there's probably at least six more in the fandom. To get upset over that is ridiculous.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
Everyone is saying don't give a shit, but it is easier said than done when you've grown attached to your 'sona. If it bothers you too much, you can simply change the name of your character but keep the design.

I had this problem when I first made my dragon character. I snooped around looking for orange dragons after joining FA, feeling rather good about my "originality". Lo and behold, I find a character with the exact same design as mine, and honestly, it had me very down. I ended up changing my character's design and gave him a back story for the sake of some originality.

Maybe give your 'sona a back story if he doesn't have one already?

Charrio

Artistic Mouse
Literally everything has been done before, we are all in some way "ripping off" someone else. you are a naturally colored fox with the name kooky, there's probably at least six more in the fandom. To get upset over that is ridiculous.

Wait you mean I'm not the first one to make a Grey Mouse with Red Hair??
Oh man I thought I was original lol

Mine is actually a Tribute to a Comic character so not so original but more a show of affection for someone who helped me want to draw.

Kinharia

Drunken Irish Snow Leopard
I used to think that Kinharia was a pretty original name. I searched different games for people who may have used it and no it turned out unique (for the stuff I did at least). Then one day I searched deeper and found out that Kinh'ar'ia or something like that was an ancient God/Goddess in Asia somewhere. Not original, some guy thought of it thousands of years ago :D So my point is fuck that dude you have your fursona and you keep 'em!

SirRob

I appreciate that you're respectful of other people's character designs. But even if it isn't totally unique, it still came from you so you shouldn't feel any shame in using it (unless you're using it for profit, which would be a problem).

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Why not just explain to the person that you didn't know they were a thing?

Kookyfox

Bomb Rider
Everyone is saying don't give a shit, but it is easier said than done when you've grown attached to your 'sona. If it bothers you too much, you can simply change the name of your character but keep the design.

I had this problem when I first made my dragon character. I snooped around looking for orange dragons after joining FA, feeling rather good about my "originality". Lo and behold, I find a character with the exact same design as mine, and honestly, it had me very down. I ended up changing my character's design and gave him a back story for the sake of some originality.

Maybe give your 'sona a back story if he doesn't have one already?

Well giving Kooky a backstory is quite complicated since to this date he has been depicted:
-Rockin' it out
-Riding a bomb
-Weeping at the current events
-Falling asleep on a desk cunningly similar to mine

I could make it into the daydreamer type of charcter though, since t's prety much what I am pesonally.

Zop

hai guiz wuts goin on in hur
"My imaginary character is way more real than yours!"

I wouldn't let this bother you lol