• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The essence of being a furry

ZeeDog

You are not your ideals in flesh and blood - that's why remain your ideals.

Being a knight be someone's deepest ideal. Being a furry might be a role assumed just for fun, as well.

No, you are fundamentally your ideals, but inconsistent in practice. For example, I could be Christian, yet sin a lot, and I would still be a Christian at heart. By fundamental, I mean your basic ideas that guide you.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
No, you are fundamentally your ideals, but inconsistent in practice. For example, I could be Christian, yet sin a lot, and I would still be a Christian at heart. By fundamental, I mean your basic ideas that guide you.
That doesn't work. Being a Christian is not an ideal - it's about holding certain beliefs. Being a sinless Christian who ultimately goes to heaven, etc. - that's an ideal.

You're confusing holding certain ideals with actually being ideal.

Furthlingam

Master of Exegesis
Yes, concepts and the beings that derive them.

Hm? Beings don't derive from concepts. Also concept =/= instinctual fascination.

-Well, I wouldn't say with animals, but with ideals and concepts in general, and a fascination with people who are examples of them, like heroes, villains, furries, larger than life characters, etc
No, specifically, we have an inborn fascination with animals. We're naturally curious about all sorts of things, true. But the human brain has special reactions to a few particular things, because of how it's wired. For example, we instinctively tend to use word order to structure language and help convey meaning. And, we instinctively pay special attention to the percieved character in animal types.

-Yes, as I said, this works with other ideas as well, but furries are the ones who use animals as their symbols

Except we humans don't react to just any old idea the way we react to animals.

-However, I separated the fascination(the fandom) from the furries

However, my argument was indeed geared to saying: the most basic thing for an individual furry is the fascination itself, not identifying with a particular animal.

So there has to be some sort of reason to come to furries in the first place, to want to be a fur of all things(as it will bring you more baggage), a reason why they love furries more than other people, and that is that furdom is fundamentally and idealist view of life, so it's more about an idea than an escape.

It's non-rational. The find the baggageless quality of depicted anthropomorphic animals appealing and aspire to it, ergo they become furries even though this probably does, as you say, net increase their social baggage.

-No, it's not animal innocence, it is the peace of living properly, of worshiping ideals and ideas, and revolving your life around them.(hmmm, I wanna expand on this)

It's the daydream of animal innocence. The idea that furries are ideal-centric is almost wholly counter-intuitive. I mean, if so, what's their ideal? Feminism? Communism? Mosaic Law?

Also, could I trouble you not to put your own remarks in quotes as though I said them?

Furthlingam

Master of Exegesis

That's bizarro talk. We're all fundamentally human, not christian. The christian ideas are overlaid by a little bit of experience here and there, over a massive accumulation of inborn human proclivities and environmental influences that have far more to do with what you when bored as a teenager with your friends, than what you're told Sunday AM.

Nargle

HOOT
Draco- You're trying to say that in Zeedog's definition of Furry, you're obliged to RP, which is false, right? I do agree that furries don't have to RP, but what Zeedog is describing is NOT RPing. When you RP, you're basically acting, and assigning yourself a character unlike yourself in which you pretend to be. You fill a "role" like in a play. The actor who plays badass mobster probably goes home at night lives a law-abiding life completely different then the one he portrays on TV. However, behaving like a furry, as in, mewing, purring, petting, etc, are NOT forms of RP if that is how YOU would act as yourself. Personally, I yelp when I'm hurt or startled, but I'm not pretending to be a dog. It's my intrinsic reaction, and for that you could call me anthropomorphized. I'm not PRETENDING, but BEING. That is the fundimental difference betwene RPing as a furry, and BEING a furry. People who purr and bark are anthropomorphizing themselves, thus expressing THEIR inner animal, and THAT is what makes them furry. If you are completely human, yet you like the look of furries, then that doesn't make you a furry! Some part of you has to feel remotely animal. The reason I like furry art isn't because I'm furry, it's because I like art in general! Art isn't the main staple of being a furry, you don't even have to like the art to be furry. They're very unrelated! The only reason they've come together, is so people can project their self images for others to see, in a cheeper, more effective way then fursuiting and stuff. And if you like the art because you feel the connection to that little bit of animal inside you when you see it, then that makes you furry. But simply liking the art because it looks cool doesn't. That's why not all kids that like Mickey Mouse are furries, because after the show is over, they forget about animals and return to being a human. But if there is a kid who sees Mickey and feels a strong connection to him because he's an animal, then he could quite possibly be a furry.

And acting furry is not exclusive to purring and such. You could just FEEL furry. And if you feel furry, then you're mentally transforming yourself into something other then pure human. You can express your inner animal feelings however you like, like.. volunteering at an animal shelter because the animal part inside you feels sympathy for poor abandoned pets. You don't have to be outragous about it, skritching and glomping people and claiming to be 100% animal and dressing up. But you gotta feel like something other then just purely a human that enjoys some welldone art.

And when I say the animal part inside you, I'm not refering to you being ACTUALLY part animal, or having an animal spirit or anything. I'm saying that all creatures on this planet have lives that are intertwined. Because of that, a lot of us relate to animals very personally, and that "animal part" tends to shine through. But then again, it's a popular human tendancy to separate themselves from animals completely, and even though they feel sympathy for them every once in a while, they still believe they're on a completely separate plane. Some people even believe that animals are equal, yet still separate. As for me, I'm still neutral. I'm not defining myself as furry just yet, but I'm still not dismissing it completely. I haven't even completely discovered myself yet, so give me some time.

Zeedog- I agree with everything that you've said! I believe that the furry fandom is watering down the definition just so that everyone who's remotely curious can label themselves the same. I have no clue when being a furry suddenly meant the same thing as liking them.

And whoever said that I shouldn't compare football players to furries, think about this: There are kids who like watching football players play, and there are kids who strive to BE one. Should they both be labeled in the same fashion? Or do they actually have completely different motives?

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Roleplaying is, in general, assuming the roles of characters differing from your own - and that's just what we do. Emotional attachments, ideals/idealisations, various projections, etc., etc. are not covered by this definition, but can very well go along with it - and very well do. Nor roleplaying, nor any of these things are a requirement of being a furry fan, however. It's basic definitions.

Personally, yes, I do know how much this whole furry/fursona business can mean to a person - even if my word is all I have in this case - but this behaviour is simply is not exclusive to furry fandom.

A lot of things can be special.

Last edited:

Nargle

HOOT
What? RPing is NOT the same thing. You even said they contradict the definition, how are they even related? Sure, they're both ways of behaving, but one is obviously pretend, while the other is behaving in a way that expresses your true feelings. I thought I already stated that.

And yes, you need to feel at least a little bit furry in order to be considered one. But if you want to just like furries, be my guest.

And just because it's not exclusive doesn't mean it's not true. I'm a musician, I have a passion for music, and I feel like I connect with it when I play it. It's the same thing. But if you listen to music and go on about with your life, then you're not a musician.

Furry doesn't have to be the ONLY special thing in order to be special period. Music is special to a musician, like myself =3

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Sure, they're both ways of behaving, but one is obviously pretend, while the other is behaving in a way that expresses your true feelings. I thought I already stated that.
Would be nice if we could discuss this without semantics.

Would you say that you're a furry, tails and ears, in real life? I hope not. As long as it's true, it's going to be a character different from yourself. Same applies to whatever you want the character to be mentally.

Would the word "Avatar" mean anything to you?

EDIT: Wait. Do you assume this whole furry thing basically equates to actually embracing parts of your personality you'd be shunned for in real life?

And yes, you need to feel at least a little bit furry in order to be considered one. But if you want to just like furries, be my guest.
Furry fan means: "A fan of furries". Someone who likes anthropomorphic animals. We've been over that.

And just because it's not exclusive doesn't mean it's not true. I'm a musician, I have a passion for music, and I feel like I connect with it when I play it. It's the same thing. But if you listen to music and go on about with your life, then you're not a musician.
And we're not musicians - we're music fans. Genetics are not quite advanced enough yet for us to possibly be musicians.

Last edited:

Nargle

HOOT
**Facepalm** You're assuming a furry is someone with ears actually growing out of their head. Stop it. I already told you that it's like a mental projection of your personality. Having to repeat myself is started to get a little tedious o.o

And by the way, if your consider your avatar to be "you," then your avatar is just a depiction of how you feel you should look.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
**Facepalm** You're assuming a furry is someone with ears actually growing out of their head. Stop it. I already told you that it's like a mental projection of your personality. Having to repeat myself is started to get a little tedious o.o
"Furry" is a slang term for an anthropomorphic animal.

And by the way, if your consider your avatar to be "you," then your avatar is just a depiction of how you feel you should look.
Not quite what I meant. I asked if you knew the meaning of the word, because it's a bit too ambiguous to throw around like that.

Nargle

HOOT
Draco- Exactly, but it doesn't have to be a physical thing. You can simply represent yourself as an animal or anthropomorphic creature. As Zeedog said, this fandom is highly based on imagination, not everything should be taken 100% literally. If I say I'm a dog, that doesn't mean I'm REALLY some freak of nature dog that's gained human intelligence and the ability to type. It means I use a dog to represent myself.

And I didn't think I used the word "Avatar," so why are you quizzing me on its definition..?

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Draco- Exactly, but it doesn't have to be a physical thing. You can simply represent yourself as an animal or anthropomorphic creature. As Zeedog said, this fandom is highly based on imagination, not everything should be taken 100% literally. If I say I'm a dog, that doesn't mean I'm REALLY some freak of nature dog that's gained human intelligence and the ability to type. It means I use a dog to represent myself.
And that's what roleplaying is. :D

And I didn't think I used the word "Avatar," so why are you quizzing me on its definition..?
Nevermind.

Nargle

HOOT
Nooo! That doesn't make sense!! You're not RPing if you're being yourself! >.<

Roleplaying is playing a role that isn't yourself. But if it's in your nature to act like/want to be a dog, then you're not RPing as a dog, you're acting like yourself! If just for one day you decided it would be interesting to be like a dog, but then after that you went back to being your normal self, then THAT would be RPing. RPing is a choice, being furry isn't. Many people are born with a certain interest in animals, a certain closeness, and they don't descover until later that it's called being a furry. However, anybody can RP, no matter what their interest in animals is, and that ability doesn't make everyone a furry.

How about this, I want to be an animator after I finish college. So, I study anatomy, observe motion, and practice drawing all the time. I do all the things that animators do, yet I'm not one yet. But, I do feel like it's my purpose to go be an animator. Am I RPing as an animator? Or is that just who I am?

And you know how I said you don't have to mew and skritch and stuff to be a furry? You can just feel like one? Well, feelings aren't RPing either.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
I can't quite come up with an example to further illustrate the obvious.

So let's see if this will work.
Roleplaying is playing a role that isn't yourself. But if it's in your nature to act like/want to be a Jedi, then you're not RPing as a Jedi, you're acting like yourself! If just for one day you decided it would be interesting to be like a Jedi, but then after that you went back to being your normal self, then THAT would be RPing. RPing is a choice, being a Star Wars fan isn't. Many people are born with a certain interest in the nature of the Force, a certain connection to it, and they don't descover until later that George Lucas described it as being a Jedi. However, anybody can RP, no matter what their interest in animals is, and that ability doesn't make everyone a Star Wars fan.

Nargle

HOOT
George Lucas didn't invent animals. The human race pretty much grew up coexisting with them, and evolved ways to react and connect with them. So, it's different then liking Star Wars.

And seeings as we are animals (But I'll refer to animals as non humans just for the sake of convenience) we have lives intertwined with them, so they're much more significant then Jedis. Maybe if animals were a science fiction movie your example would make sense.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
George Lucas didn't invent animals. The human race pretty much grew up coexisting with them, and evolved ways to react and connect with them. So, it's different then liking Star Wars.

And seeings as we are animals (But I'll refer to animals as non humans just for the sake of convenience) we have lives intertwined with them, so they're much more significant then Jedis. Maybe if animals were a science fiction movie your example would make sense.
That's like saying Rock is not music because it's a different style to Techno.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
What..? I don't even see a connection. Care to elaborate?
You're saying that liking Star Wars is different to liking furries. That's a given - but what you listed does not make them different at their core.

Just like Rock might be different to Techo, yet still remain a musical style.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
But, animals have always been around, and people have always needed to interact with them. Therefor, the bond between man and animal is a lot more special then the bond between man and fictional character. And it's nothing like rock and techno. If rock was man's best friend and techno was a fictional character in a movie, it'd work.
I'd love to see you say that in the face of all the gryphons, unicorns and dragons in the fandom.

Oh wait.

gypsythecabbit

THANK YOU.

I keep on being called a furry because I have two fursonas. I don't feel like a furry, yet I have no problems with the furry fandom. Mostly.

Nargle

HOOT
Draco, griffins, dragons and unicorns have the same effect on the human brain as animals. They were just made up by humans to be cooler then pre-existing animals. They are made of the same stuff as animals. We can mix species together, like ligers. If we found a way to mix eagles and lions, or bats and lizards, we'd have a whole horde of REAL mythical creatures.

And plus, how many people out there have actually seen a red fox in person (US I mean, I understand that foxes run around like rats in the UK?)? How is a fox any different then a mythical creature, then? You don't have to come face to face with it to think of it the same was as any other animal.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Draco, griffins, dragons and unicorns have the same effect on the human brain as animals. They were just made up by humans to be cooler then pre-existing animals. They are made of the same stuff as animals. We can mix species together, like ligers. If we found a way to mix eagles and lions, or bats and lizards, we'd have a whole horde of REAL mythical creatures.
How is that different from mixing up a Jedi or a Brave Knight? And even if it is, what does it matter? And, lastly, how would any of this address my original point?

And plus, how many people out there have actually seen a red fox in person (US I mean, I understand that foxes run around like rats in the UK?)? How is a fox any different then a mythical creature, then? You don't have to come face to face with it to think of it the same was as any other animal.
That's called "Anthropomorphism". :D