• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The essence of being a furry

SpaderG

thinks Jesus was a comedian.
You wrote an essay? Dang, I'm mortified to even be typing on this forum!!! Though it's rather nice.
Very nice essay.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Draco- **Shrug** You brought up the Jedis. I didn't think it made sense, either.
I said: "How is that different from mixing up a Jedi or a Brave Knight?"

Both are roleplayable, fictional, possibly idealistic or self-projection characters. Thus, it's the same damn thing.

Anthropomorphism is liking red foxes like any other animal even if you've never seen one? I thought it was combining human and animal traits?
Nevermind, misread that bit there.

What's your point in all of this, again?

Slayn

bang your head.
I enjoyed the read but you just created the famous furry fandom drama thread.

Nargle

HOOT
Draco- My point was, in order to be a furry, you have to feel like one. You can't just feel like you're completely separate from animals altogether but think the artwork is cool and call yourself a furry. But you said feeling like a furry was the same thing as RPing (And that RPing was unnecessary to be considered a furry), which I disagreed, because furries are essentially just being themselves. Then you compared feeling like an animal to feeling like a Jedi, and I said the connection between humans and animals is much different then that of fictional characters. And, mythical creatures have the same effect on the human brain that other animals do, they're just hybrids that are not readilly available for in-person viewing.

Sooo.. I think you were trying to dispute the need to feel like a furry to be one, by claiming it is RPing, which isn't necessary to be a furry.

Slayn- I'm confused, how'd we create a furry fandom drama? Usually drama is defined by making a lot of lowblows and taking everything personally. Draco and I are just having a friendly debate, seeings as our views on a subject vary a bit. **Harbors no ill feelings towards Draco.**

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Draco- My point was, in order to be a furry, you have to feel like one. You can't just feel like you're completely separate from animals altogether but think the artwork is cool and call yourself a furry. But you said feeling like a furry was the same thing as RPing (And that RPing was unnecessary to be considered a furry), which I disagreed, because furries are essentially just being themselves. Then you compared feeling like an animal to feeling like a Jedi, and I said the connection between humans and animals is much different then that of fictional characters. And, mythical creatures have the same effect on the human brain that other animals do, they're just hybrids that are not readilly available for in-person viewing.

Sooo.. I think you were trying to dispute the need to feel like a furry to be one, by claiming it is RPing, which isn't necessary to be a furry.
Alright, good.

So what do you mean by "Feeling like a furry" if not having and actively associating/playing/do whatever with a your fursona/character? And, as I said before, the latter is not, and never was a requirement to liking cartoon animals.

Last edited:

Nargle

HOOT
Draco- Well, most people aren't completely satisfied with their natural bodies, furry or not. It's just normal to want to improve. Some people compensate by building up their physical body, or building up their mind. Others modify their bodies with tattoos and piercings, or dressing up in nice clothing. There is a whole host of things people can do to reflect their "inner self." Yet, some people, from a young age, are naturally drawn to animals, and tend to identify with them. Be it real animals or cartoon ones, or even animal based stories, some people are just more drawn to them then they are regular people. For instance, for a long time I wouldn't read books with a human main character. I became addicted to books like Redwall and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole, because the anthropomorphized characters were so much easier to identify with. So, sometimes people with this "connection" to animals want to BE like the furry critters they read about or see on TV, so they start depicting themselves as animals. When I drew myself, I would draw a squirrel or dog with long hair. That's because it felt more correct to be drawn like a squirrel then it did to be drawn like a person. I didn't go around nibbling on acorns and licking my "paws," but animals seemed to represent my personality so much better then my human body. So deep down I felt like a squirrel, rather then a person. I didn't have any desire to be a squirrel, since I liked having the intelligence and capabilities of a human. I didn't want to be cast out into the forest with a brain the size of a pecan and paws with no thumbs, no matter how fluffy and cute my tail was. But I felt that if I could have the comforts of being human AND the good qualities of an animal, I'd be more accuarately representing who I felt like inside.

The people that I'm talking about that I don't consider furries, are people that separate themselves from animals and don't feel any connection at all. Sure, I know I'm human, and I want to stay human, but that doesn't mean I don't connect with animals. Non-furries don't, though. And liking the artwork doesn't make them a furry. Furry artwork doesn't have any special powers or anything, it's exactly the same as any other artwork. For instance, I don't have to be a Star Wars fan to enjoy a cool painting of a spaceship or something.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Draco- Well, most people aren't completely satisfied with their natural bodies, furry or not. It's just normal to want to improve. Some people compensate by building up their physical body, or building up their mind. Others modify their bodies with tattoos and piercings, or dressing up in nice clothing. There is a whole host of things people can do to reflect their "inner self." Yet, some people, from a young age, are naturally drawn to animals, and tend to identify with them. Be it real animals or cartoon ones, or even animal based stories, some people are just more drawn to them then they are regular people. For instance, for a long time I wouldn't read books with a human main character. I became addicted to books like Redwall and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole, because the anthropomorphized characters were so much easier to identify with. So, sometimes people with this "connection" to animals want to BE like the furry critters they read about or see on TV, so they start depicting themselves as animals. When I drew myself, I would draw a squirrel or dog with long hair. That's because it felt more correct to be drawn like a squirrel then it did to be drawn like a person. I didn't go around nibbling on acorns and licking my "paws," but animals seemed to represent my personality so much better then my human body. So deep down I felt like a squirrel, rather then a person. I didn't have any desire to be a squirrel, since I liked having the intelligence and capabilities of a human. I didn't want to be cast out into the forest with a brain the size of a pecan and paws with no thumbs, no matter how fluffy and cute my tail was. But I felt that if I could have the comforts of being human AND the good qualities of an animal, I'd be more accuarately representing who I felt like inside.
I understand precisely what you're saying.

However, I also understand what the word "Furry" itself means - an interest in anthropomorphic animals. Nothing more, nothing less, it's as simple as a definition gets.

If you want to illustrate a connection between liking anthropomorphic animals and feeling a connection with real-world animals, any kind of spirituality, or anything else - please do. Until then, by the burden of proof principle, we'll have to assume that there's none.

Now, disregard my first sentence. Don't count on me understanding your points by some divine revelation. Every seemingly deeply spiritual point can be laid down in simple terms, or be proven false - that's why things like Science actually work. And if we want to reach an understanding in discussion, it'll have to do.

SpaderG

thinks Jesus was a comedian.
I think that maybe its the authors JOB to try to make you sync with the characters of a book. Or else its a bad book. They don't have to be animals, though I suspect that's probrably the only book genre example you have.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
I think that maybe its the authors JOB to try to make you sync with the characters of a book. Or else its a bad book. They don't have to be animals, though I suspect that's probrably the only book genre example you have.
Yep. And furry animals are a good communication tool in that regard, even more so for us furries. :D

Nargle

HOOT
Spader- Yes, I understand that every author is going to want to make their characters lovable. It's just, no matter how cool the human character is, I always liked the anthro character better. For instance, in Oblivion Elder Scrolls I made my mage character an Argonian (Lizard person) Even though the ones that are REALLY good at magic are the Bretons, which just look like slightly chubby people. And instead of making my theif a sly sneaky elf, I made her a cat person (Can't remember what they're called...)

Draco- Well, I figured the connection between animals and anthros was that I'd imagine myself being still human but with animal traits, seeings as I AM human, so I still have a particular fondness for my own species, and I still like animals, so I just combined them in my head.

Maybe you should elaborate on what "an interest in anthros" is? Because to me, it sounds like "Oh, hey, cute. I like that character. Moving on!" If that is the case, and that truly is the definition of the word, then the label of Furry has been deluted to the point of uselessness...

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
I am nothing on what my fursona name suggests. I am an un-twitchified squirrel. Doesn't live up to what we are described as, so meh.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Draco- Well, I figured the connection between animals and anthros was that I'd imagine myself being still human but with animal traits, seeings as I AM human, so I still have a particular fondness for my own species, and I still like animals, so I just combined them in my head.
Well, you see, both "Connection" and "Animal" are very broad terms. As a human animal, saying that you have a "Connection" with "Animals" is about as informative as saying that some things walk on their legs.

Maybe you could elaborate on that? Non-ambiguously.

Maybe you should elaborate on what "an interest in anthros" is? Because to me, it sounds like "Oh, hey, cute. I like that character. Moving on!" If that is the case, and that truly is the definition of the word, then the label of Furry has been deluted to the point of uselessness...
Hardly. We have all kinds of word to describe what people like, and Furry is a legitimate one of them, even if only a small group of people use it. It encompasses a wide spectrum of individuals and levels of involvement, sure, but so does diarrhoea.

If you want a word to describe someone who has a fursona and likes animals (what were you trying to say there...), then be my guest - in fact, I'd be surprised if such words don't crop up with time - but rewriting the dictionary is a fairly futile exercise.

As it stands, we're here for the animal-people, even if quite a few of us wouldn't mind actually being them.

Nargle

HOOT
Draco- Okay, how 'bout the transition from squirrel in my backyard to squirrel person on paper, is because I am human, so I like humans, yet I still identify with animals, so I cleverly combine the best traits of both and use that to depict myself. =D

But, what your said doesn't really describe what you mean by people's interest in anthros. Do they think they're pretty, or do they identify with them? A person's level of interest can very greatly towards something, all the way from taking a second glance to devoting your life to it. There's got to be SOME cut off point, because not everyone who's seen Bugs Bunny and smiled is a furry.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Draco- Okay, how 'bout the transition from squirrel in my backyard to squirrel person on paper, is because I am human, so I like humans, yet I still identify with animals, so I cleverly combine the best traits of both and use that to depict myself. =D
That's a nice thought, and pretty much sums up why most of us are into this mess.

I still can't think of a word in the English language to describe it - though it has to be a subdivision of "roleplaying" and "spirituality" or somesuch. I guess there's some ground to cover in that respect.

But, what your said doesn't really describe what you mean by people's interest in anthros. Do they think they're pretty, or do they identify with them?
Can be either, technically. Though I'm not sure how the latter is possible without the former.

A person's level of interest can very greatly towards something, all the way from taking a second glance to devoting your life to it. There's got to be SOME cut off point, because not everyone who's seen Bugs Bunny and smiled is a furry.
It's a definition. Just because most people don't know about it doesn't make it apply less.

And, of course, there's a difference between liking Bugz Bunny cartoons and liking Bugz Bunny as a character. On top of that, there's common communication sense. I.e. when you list your characteristics/interests/beliefs/etc. in order of prominence, since, hey, you may have hundreds.

Last edited:

Nargle

HOOT
Draco- It's called Furry =D

Um, the latter is very possible without the former. Maybe you don't think you're beautiful, so you identify with the scruffy skunk rather then the pristine, silky kitty.

How does people not knowing the definition change it?

And yes, so what are you trying to communicate as interests? It's a very, very vague term, maybe you could clarify it to me? I'm still not getting what I'm asking for.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Draco- It's called Furry =D
Nice try.

Um, the latter is very possible without the former. Maybe you don't think you're beautiful, so you identify with the scruffy skunk rather then the pristine, silky kitty.
Wait. "They're pretty" - thought you meant, anthros?.. I mean, how could you want to be one without digging the idea.

How does people not knowing the definition change it?
It doesn't. My point.

And yes, so what are you trying to communicate as interests? It's a very, very vague term, maybe you could clarify it to me? I'm still not getting what I'm asking for.
"Interest" is a wide term, yes.

You can be interested in lots of things: stamp collecting, music, videogames, sports, bowling or sticking your head in a microwave - and the interest in anthropomorphic animals just happens to be called "Furry". That's it.

~secret~

Banned
Banned
willingness to cuddle(unless contradicted by your fursona)

Interesting post, I'm just getting into the fandom and I find stuff like this very interesting. Just one thing I didn't get though, what exactly do you mean by 'willingness to cuddle'? Is it something furries do with each other or are you talking about in general?

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Interesting post, I'm just getting into the fandom and I find stuff like this very interesting. Just one thing I didn't get though, what exactly do you mean by 'willingness to cuddle'? Is it something furries do with each other or are you talking about in general?
It's a common stereotype of the fandom, or at least it was before we've all suddenly changed into Drama Queens.

~secret~

Banned
Banned
It's a common stereotype of the fandom, or at least it was before we've all suddenly changed into Drama Queens.

Is it a negative stereotype? I personally find stereotypes that relate to me (race, religion etc.) generally amusing but does this one discredit furries in anyway?

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Is it a negative stereotype? I personally find stereotypes that relate to me (race, religion etc.) generally amusing but does this one discredit furries in anyway?
The first... Probably not. The latter, most certainly. But if you want to talk about negative stereotypes, there are plenty - though, of course, the fandom isn't quite famous enough for anyone to recognise them, except for internet-savvy people.

~secret~

Banned
Banned
The first... Probably not. The latter, most certainly. But if you want to talk about negative stereotypes, there are plenty - though, of course, the fandom isn't quite famous enough for anyone to recognise them, except for internet-savvy people.

I suppose as I go along I'll discover most of them myself, I can imagine the disgusted cries of 'animal #@~!er' emanating from most people I can think of when I try to explain what a furry is. I knew from the beginning that furries got a bad rep, hence my name 'secretfur', I'm too afraid of what my friends and family would do if I told them.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
I suppose as I go along I'll discover most of them myself, I can imagine the disgusted cries of 'animal #@~!er' emanating from most people I can think of when I try to explain what a furry is. I knew from the beginning that furries got a bad rep, hence my name 'secretfur', I'm too afraid of what my friends and family would do if I told them.
Well, then you probably already know.

Both Wikifur and just Wiki provide a few nice references to media portrayal (articles and stuff, in the references) if you want decent info on that.

~secret~

Banned
Banned
Well, then you probably already know.

Both Wikifur and just Wiki provide a few nice references to media portrayal (articles and stuff, in the references) if you want decent info on that.

I saw that CSI episode, you know *that* one. To be honest thats how I discovered furries in the first place so I suppose some good came out of it:). Initially, I'll admit that the show influenced my opinions but I soon realised that it represented only a sub-section of the fandom, and even then they were probably misrepresented or exaggerated.