• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The essence of being a furry

Alblaka

Restless and lonely Dragon
Hey! He did!

Do you want to make me and secretfur angry? ^^

~secret~

Banned
Banned
Well that's dumb. You want to be nailed to a cross, too?

Ah Christians, history's running joke. And using the term 'Christian Fundamentalist' isn't exactly the smartest choice. Do you think ZeeDog was the guy who voted in favour of the Westboro Baptists in the poll?

Look out guy, you're one step away from a German/Irish flame war.

ZeeDog

Hm? Beings don't derive from concepts. Also concept =/= instinctual fascination.

No, specifically, we have an inborn fascination with animals. We're naturally curious about all sorts of things, true. But the human brain has special reactions to a few particular things, because of how it's wired. For example, we instinctively tend to use word order to structure language and help convey meaning. And, we instinctively pay special attention to the percieved character in animal types.

Except we humans don't react to just any old idea the way we react to animals.

However, my argument was indeed geared to saying: the most basic thing for an individual furry is the fascination itself, not identifying with a particular animal.

It's non-rational. The find the baggageless quality of depicted anthropomorphic animals appealing and aspire to it, ergo they become furries even though this probably does, as you say, net increase their social baggage.

It's the daydream of animal innocence. The idea that furries are ideal-centric is almost wholly counter-intuitive. I mean, if so, what's their ideal? Feminism? Communism? Mosaic Law?

Also, could I trouble you not to put your own remarks in quotes as though I said them?

First off, I think this is a massive misunderstanding of what is a rational being. How would we be talking, through computers, in modern society, if we could not derive concepts? Nor do we have any instinctive fascination with animals, we may have reasons for it, we may have inclinations, but it is not an instinct. And yes, we do act the same way to other things we may attach symbols to, and ideals and ideas we hold dear. ANd I disagree, this would make way too many people furries, people who you would not conceive to be a fur, and inflate the word, making it meaningless, which would kill furry as we know it.

And lastly, if it were true, that furry is an irrational idea, designed to escape humanity or society(which in no conceivable way does), then no self respecting person should ever be a furry, making it deserving of all the ridicule and bashing in the world.

Not only does furry not accomplish the idea of an animal innocence that never existed(as it is not innocence, but lack of free will), but it does not explain why the love of anthro animals in the first place, why they are so appealing, as a movement as a whole, and to those who are furs themselves, why they want to escape baggage, by bringing way more baggage, by talking to people who have just as much baggage as anyone else. It's not as if furs don't have problems.

And by ideals, I don't necessarily mean things like heroism, bravery, etc, but ideas. Furry is a way to worship ideas within yourself. In other words, the ideal is the ideas that compose the fundamental you, which you relate to an animal(and by extension, animals in general). You aren't necessarily conscious of this, but it is the general idea that goes on in your head .

Alblaka

Restless and lonely Dragon
Have you seen the amount of experimental fusion reactors on earth? No?

Theres only one and that one is in south french. And where is the nice french country? EUROPE!!!

Have you seen the amount of guns WE have?
And by the way: Do you really think you could scare me, a dragon, with a simple gun?

First off, I think this is a massive misunderstanding of what is a rational being. How would we be talking, through computers, in modern society, if we could not derive concepts? Nor do we have any instinctive fascination with animals, we may have reasons for it, we may have inclinations, but it is not an instinct. And yes, we do act the same way to other things we may attach symbols to, and ideals and ideas we hold dear. ANd I disagree, this would make way too many people furries, people who you would not conceive to be a fur, and inflate the word, making it meaningless, which would kill furry as we know it.

And lastly, if it were true, that furry is an irrational idea, designed to escape humanity or society(which in no conceivable way does), then no self respecting person should ever be a furry, making it deserving of all the ridicule and bashing in the world.

Not only does furry not accomplish the idea of an animal innocence that never existed(as it is not innocence, but lack of free will), but it does not explain why the love of anthro animals in the first place, why they are so appealing, as a movement as a whole, and to those who are furs themselves, why they want to escape baggage, by bringing way more baggage, by talking to people who have just as much baggage as anyone else. It's not as if furs don't have problems.

And by ideals, I don't necessarily mean things like heroism, bravery, etc, but ideas. Furry is a way to worship ideas within yourself. In other words, the ideal is the ideas that compose the fundamental you, which you relate to an animal(and by extension, animals in general). You aren't necessarily conscious of this, but it is the general idea that goes on in your head .

Ahhhh... Brain explodes...

~secret~

Banned
Banned
Have you seen the amount of experimental fusion reactors on earth? No?

Theres only one and that one is in south french. And where is the nice french country? EUROPE!!!

And by the way: Do you really think you could scare me, a dragon, with a simple gun?

Antimatter warheads by 2015! Let's see how well your guns fair against utter annihilation.

ZeeDog

May I just inquire...

What the fuck?

Since when do animal's have any conception of good and evil, or the ability to choose either? D:

Also, I was in Italy for 10 days. Everything felt so poor...and, flimsy, and dinky. And I was in Rome, Venice, Florence, and Milan, and I don't think I saw any skyscrapers o_o

Only old buildings D:

ZeeDog

A .50 call MG could eat through your scales me thinks(it's useful against light skinned vehicles) o_o

Also, I am to lazy to look at the old posts and respond .-.

~secret~

Banned
Banned
Since when do animal's have any conception of good and evil, or the ability to choose either? D:

Also, I was in Italy for 10 days. Everything felt so poor...and, flimsy, and dinky. And I was in Rome, Venice, Florence, and Milan, and I don't think I saw any skyscrapers o_o

Only old buildings D:

What does any of this have to do with anything?:confused:

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Oh. Well, you see, Free Will has nothing to do with moral imperatives - it's simply an exercise of control over one's actions or decisions.

Aw come on, you know, imitate Jesus and stuff =(
Sounds like a bad idea to me. Personally, I wouldn't trust a guy who claims to be perfect one second, and gets himself nailed to a piece of wood the other. Least of all try to imitate that.

~secret~

Banned
Banned
Well, I was in Europe, looking at zillion museums all day and had no internets, and it looked like a third world country <,>

Anyway, did anybody else say anything important? D:

So you judge an entire continent just because you couldn't get internet in Italy's cultural hotspots? Seems pretty stupid to me, but I suppose you can say what you want. Originally I thought you were being racist or something.

ZeeDog

Oh. Well, you see, Free Will has nothing to do with moral imperatives - it's simply an exercise of control over one's actions or decisions.

Sounds like a bad idea to me. Personally, I wouldn't trust a guy who claims to be perfect one second, and gets himself nailed to a piece of wood the other. Least of all try to imitate that.

Actually, you would need some basic conceptual faculties to be able to excersize free will.

And try to understand their point of view, for the sake of the argument =/

ZeeDog

So you judge an entire continent just because you couldn't get internet in Italy's cultural hotspots? Seems pretty stupid to me, but I suppose you can say what you want. Originally I thought you were being racist or something.

No, it was the general economic and cultural stagnation. Also, making fun of Europe =/= racism