• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Essential Titles

JT Bird

As relative newbie to the furry world..

What you say is essential reading?

What are the 'bibles' of animal fiction, beyond the classics and obvious..??

Cheers

Jimmy

Z

ZeroVoidTime

My Immortal....... (No not really I just wanted to make a bad joke.)

The Hunger Games
Cthulhu Mythos based novels
I actually cannot think of any other books right now.

Valryth

Do clouds look down and think I'm one of them?
My Immortal....... (No not really I just wanted to make a bad joke.)

The Hunger Games
Cthulhu Mythos based novels
I actually cannot think of any other books right now.

I am seconding My Immortal. If you're currently living and haven't read this yet, then you're missing out on a whole universe worth of fiction! Furry or not, this cult classic is respected and praised amongst members of all generations... (It was a good joke, thank you for reminding me of one of the best reads ever!)

quoting_mungo

I don’t think/feel that there’s any sort of canonical “books all furries should read;” probably in part because the fandom is very culturally diverse. The comics I read as a child, featuring anthropomorphic animals in all roles, are barely known outside Scandinavia, but are still popular here 30 years later (and they were a number of decades old already when I came of reading age). Even between countries speaking the same language the literary culture can be incredibly different. I was stunned to find out that my (US born and raised) boyfriend wasn’t familiar with even the title of The Animals of Farthing Wood.

So basically, if you want reading tips for animal/anthro literature, I’m sure people here can help, but I wouldn’t expect to walk away with any kind of universal furry primer.

SSJ3Mewtwo

I am...well suited to offer a lot of suggestions here.

The David Birkenhead Saga, by Phil Geusz (also a lot of his other material, like his Descent series)

The Fall of Eldvar Saga, by Jim Galford

The Blue Horizon series, by Ted R. Blasingame

A lot of material from John Van Stry, such as Children of Steel

The whole bloody (literally) Animorphs series, by KA Applegate (though..brace yourself. For a young adult series it doesn't pull any punches).

A lot of the chakat universe books, by Bernard Dove (Goldfur. Sling him a note too, if you like. He's a nice guy. Met him when buying books from his stand at Anthrocon)

The light novel and manga: "I'm a Spider, So What?" (also getting an anime treatment now)

Sooooooo much Pokemon.

Chasm City, by Alastair Reynolds

Forging Hephestus, by Drew Hayes

The Old Man's War series and Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi

The Nemesis Saga, by Jeremy Robinson

The Galactic Football League series, by Scott Sigler

Mort(e) by Robert Repino

That's a good spread to start.

quoting_mungo

A lot of the chakat universe books, by Bernard Dove (Goldfur. Sling him a note too, if you like. He's a nice guy. Met him when buying books from his stand at Anthrocon)
I found the physical copy I purchased of one of Doove’s works to be quite poorly edited, sadly, up to and including getting the pronouns of the main character wrong once or twice. Which could quite possibly be a fluke that only applies to the specific title, but it’s something to be prepared for.

Also be prepared for the book possibly not being fit to read in public. (Let’s just say I had an awkward train ride when I discovered I’d purchased a book with interior illustrations that weren’t exactly PG-13.)

No shade on Doove’s worldbuilding and storylines, just something to be aware of.

Foxy Emy

*Mischivious Noises*
As relative newbie to the furry world..

What you say is essential reading?

What are the 'bibles' of animal fiction, beyond the classics and obvious..??

Cheers

Jimmy

The Forum Games section of FAF (Fur Affinity Forums) is pretty much a must. Particularly they "Last Post Wins" and "Predators & Prey" threads. Don't worry, you only have to pay attention to the original post and the most recent page. :D

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
My list is heavy on 'classic' YA fiction of the outdoorsy/wilderness variety, but here's 4 titles that come to mind right off the top of my head:

Julie of the Wolves-Jean George
My Side of the Mountain-Jean George
Dogsong-Gary Paulsen
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH-Robert O'Brien