• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The fandom

Kahoku

Forgive Yourself
Well, about the fandom I thought it was time for me to make a thread about this. (wasn't going to necrobump an old one if there was one, and I apologize I am tired I didn't even look)

Do you think that the fandom just attracts younger minds and is sort of a fad? Or does it actually attract people that think of themselves as "furry"? I ask because I was rifling through the age threads and looking some stats up online, and I have to admit I feel a little out of place with it all. I still will be part of it, I forever will be only because I don't see the reflection everyone else does in the mirror. But what do you think? Am I wrong in saying that it is encompassing more young people than people of my age? (25-35)

Hooray, my first thread and I apologize I have been drinking just a little, so excuse me if this is out of line.

Onnes

Do you think that the fandom just attracts younger minds and is sort of a fad? Or does it actually attract people that think of themselves as "furry"? I ask because I was rifling through the age threads and looking some stats up online, and I have to admit I feel a little out of place with it all. I still will be part of it, I forever will be only because I don't see the reflection everyone else does in the mirror. But what do you think? Am I wrong in saying that it is encompassing more young people than people of my age? (25-35)

The barriers for inclusion in the fandom are pretty low. Look at it this way, have you ever seen a furry that didn't like anthropomorphic animals? I doubt it. I'm sure social factors influence whether someone actually decides to associate with the fandom, but that doesn't mean they somehow don't share the same interests as everyone else. It's probably a combination of such factors combined with subject matter and the escapism element that dictate that most people entering the fandom are relatively young. It's also worth noting that internet culture in general tends to swing young, and furries are largely an internet culture.

As I recall, you aren't even that old. It's not like you are getting an age bracket to yourself. I can only assume that as time progresses and those generations that grew up with internet mature, the age distribution will correspondingly widen a bit from it present form.

Hooray, my first thread and I apologize I have been drinking just a little, so excuse me if this is out of line.

The only proper way to enjoy any forum.

JArt.

I think a large factor is that the popularity of social media via the internet have made the diffusion of different ideas much easier, and kids are more likely to find the furry fandom because teens use the internet for social purposes more oftenly then adults.

Kahoku

Forgive Yourself
The barriers for inclusion in the fandom are pretty low. Look at it this way, have you ever seen a furry that didn't like anthropomorphic animals? I doubt it. I'm sure social factors influence whether someone actually decides to associate with the fandom, but that doesn't mean they somehow don't share the same interests as everyone else. It's probably a combination of such factors combined with subject matter and the escapism element that dictate that most people entering the fandom are relatively young. It's also worth noting that internet culture in general tends to swing young, and furries are largely an internet culture.

As I recall, you aren't even that old. It's not like you are getting an age bracket to yourself. I can only assume that as time progresses and those generations that grew up with internet mature, the age distribution will correspondingly widen a bit from it present form.

The only proper way to enjoy any forum.

Makes sense, I just having been feeling awkward in it honestly. But I am feeling more comfortable now that you remind me about the it being more an internet thing. I am older than people think unfortunately. or just act like it. Sorry its very hard to read these posts at the moment, I am just a little drunk. (okay, drunk)

Dreaming

Do you think that the fandom just attracts younger minds and is sort of a fad? Or does it actually attract people that think of themselves as "furry"?
Both. Of course it will attract more children/teens, though. Depending on what your opinion of Furry is, it's essentially a liking for animated anthropomorphic animals aka. cartoons. Nobody loves those more than kids do! :V

But seriously. There's no age limit to interest.

LouyieBlu

Contemplative Nitwit
Both. Of course it will attract more children/teens, though. Depending on what your opinion of Furry is, it's essentially a liking for animated anthropomorphic animals aka. cartoons. Nobody loves those more than kids do! :V

Agreed, even though yes it tends to attract younger ages for a variety of reasons, there isnt or at least should be no age limit on a furry site, there are other things that should not have age as a factor, but that is a whole other discussion non related to this specific thread so Im going to stop typing, why havent I done that yet?

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
There's some folks here that are 40-50.

Feel better now? :3

Yes, but those are the first furries...You know, people who lived through the AOL disk and dial-up empire?

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
Yes, but those are the first furries...You know, people who lived through the AOL disk and dial-up empire?
I remember those times. They sucked.

As for the question at hand most of it has already been stated, but on the other hand furry seems to be a thing most of us will either grow out of or leave in time. Every few years the type of people in the fandom changes with the new tide of newbies.

QuickSticks45

Wishes he could fly
As being apart of the younger crowd, it is true that growing up with the internet is what brought me to associating with the fandom. Without the internet I wouldn't have know what a furry was, before all i knew was that I liked looney Toons, star fox and drawing characters like that, never knew it was a thing. Most importantly don't feel old, you're still young with a lot of life to live, hell Betty White is 90 and still acting; rather amazing if you ask me.

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
As being apart of the younger crowd, it is true that growing up with the internet is what brought me to associating with the fandom. Without the internet I wouldn't have know what a furry was, before all i knew was that I liked looney Toons, star fox and drawing characters like that, never knew it was a thing. Most importantly don't feel old, you're still young with a lot of life to live, hell Betty White is 90 and still acting; rather amazing if you ask me.
As for me I never asked for this, I wanted to be a lumberjack. Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of british columbia. The giant redwood, the larch, the furr, the mighty scott's pine! The smell of fresh cut timber! The crash of mighty trees!
...wait I think I've done this joke before.

Kahoku

Forgive Yourself
I think a large factor is that the popularity of social media via the internet have made the diffusion of different ideas much easier, and kids are more likely to find the furry fandom because teens use the internet for social purposes more oftenly then adults.
I guess so, I was always online a more than my counter-parts growing up.

I know, but you know that feeling when you feel out of place? It was just looming over me is all.

There's some folks here that are 40-50.
Feel better now? :3
A bit better, also from the other posts as well.

Thanks for the move.

I type well when drunk it looks like, just don't know what folder I was in. I feel a bit better about it, feels like a shadow has left me for now.
I guess time will help me adjust to all of this I suppose, and life keeps on rolling.