• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Folding@Home FurAffinity Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

PurpleDragon

I'm joining the FA team as well. If it's for such a good cause, everyone can donate some CPU time :)

Cinos

Kyouryuu said:
I think I editing my client.cfg to assign the FurAffinity team. Have to see if that worked. :D I've been participating in Folding@Home for a while and I think it is a simple thing to do for a wonderful cause.

I would suggest running the console version. The graphical version has the tendency to screw with games that use OpenGL (such as Grand Theft Auto: Vice City).

Why people continue to run SETI@Home is beyond me. Seven years down the line, SETI@Home has never contributed anything of value. And even if we did find an anomalous signal, what are we supposed to do with it? Send a response and wait a thousand years? Listen to some intergalactic equivalent of I Love Lucy? Not exactly a worthwhile cause if you ask me.

On the other paw, Folding@Home will produce useful and tangible results for a vital cause. Cancer, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's among others are very real problems facing our society. We all know friends and loved ones who have passed on or are suffering from these diseases. We all wish there was a cure. Running F@H is one small way we may all contribute to finding one. No one knows where that spark that provides the solution will come from. But if you had the power to help find it, wouldn't you?

To be honest, I find the possible discovery of alien life a much more rewarding thing than cures for diseases. :/

If you got an ATI X1800 or X1900 i suggest to skip the CPU Folding@Home version and go with the experimental GPU version. It does require some specific settings (like a specific Catalyst version).

http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-ATI.html

"The GPU client is limited to the current high-end ATI X1800 and X1900 video cards at the moment, which are already a generation behind NVIDIA's newest 8800 series. Even so, the GPU clients are almost 2.5 times faster than the PS3. Of course, this performance differential is more than balanced by the fact that PS3 is an easily obtainible (albeit somewhat expensive) consumer item; it's trivially easy to add one to the Folding@Home network, whereas the Folding@Home GPU client is quite immature, and few users have the necessary high-end ATI video cards to use it.

But the real lesson of this chart lies in the OS X / Intel data point. Intel-based Macs are, by definition, based on only the newest Intel processors-- Core Duo or better. Even so, it's an utter blowout:

Intel Core Duo 1x
PS3 7.8x faster
GPU 18.6x faster

With these kinds of performance ratios-- and I expect the performance gap to widen every year-- there's almost no point in adding general purpose CPUs to the folding network any more. It's a waste of time, effort, and electricity."

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000823.html

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Killy the Fox said:
"The GPU client is limited to the current high-end ATI X1800 and X1900 video cards at the moment, which are already a generation behind NVIDIA's newest 8800 series..."
Makse me feel tingley for just buying an 8800 GTX!

AishaDracoGryph

Raving_Dragon said:
Good luck getting it to run on your computer. It takes 8 hours for one molecule on the PS3. It has been shown that the PS3 is about as powerful as 23 average home PC's. They usually use super computers for this stuff.

Also the ps3 WU (Wok units) are smaller for a reason, it's not that the ps3 completes the WUs faster it's that the WUs that the folding@home team make for the ps3 are smaller to accommodate users who leave their console on all night but not making users keep them on forever.

The super computers you mentioned can't compute the same bulk of data at nearly the same rate as thousands of PCs doing the works slowly in small chunks, the calculations being done with this program were once said to be impossible.

I installed it just fine. my current WU (my first) will be done in 4 days, that's pretty good if you ask me, it also dose not cause lag in my favorite game (WOW) if it dose cause lag though I can always pause it instead of closing it or making it only run during screen saver mode.

I tried to install it on my fiance's pc but it minimizes full screen games when you try to play them. she uses her pc mostly for games so this just is not feasible for her.

I looked on the folding@home website but they seem to have no tech support at all, and the faq has little to no bug trouble shooting advice.

Killy the Fox said:
If you got an ATI X1800 or X1900 i suggest to skip the CPU Folding@Home version and go with the experimental GPU version. It does require some specific settings (like a specific Catalyst version).

Dose this mean that with my ati radion x850xt, I'l be able to use the gpu version? (I don't plan on getting the beta version right now thanks)

Also why would it be bad to run both? and would this effect my gaming, mot people have beefy GFX cards so the can play games you know.

Kougar

Raving_Dragon said:
Good luck getting it to run on your computer. It takes 8 hours for one molecule on the PS3. It has been shown that the PS3 is about as powerful as 23 average home PC's. They usually use super computers for this stuff.

This is the entire reason in a nutshell why Folding@home was created. There was not nearly enough funding to run this needed reasearch on those said supercomputers.

As far as the PS3 argument goes, it runs circles around any Core 2 Duo PC, probably about 3.5 of them to be exact... :lol: PlayStation 3 Leads All at Finding Cancer Cure It even bests folding on the GPU in pure work done.

Folding@Home can also be run on x1600, x1800, and x1900 class ATI graphics cards, but will require a CPU core be left unused. Infact a x1900 card alone will outperform a Core 2 Duo CPU when doing F@H work. It's also not for the technically challenged, F@H in general needs the user to read up before they run it in any of its forms or they will probably run into issues.

Afraid I already have two teams on my F@H list though, here's who I currently fold for:
sigimage.php

Edit: AishaDracoGryph, no, only the cards I listed above can be used. It's also all in the F@H ATI FAQ that Killy the Fox linked to.

Why people continue to run SETI@Home is beyond me.

Their screensaver looks cooler.

imnohbody

Kyouryuu said:
Why people continue to run SETI@Home is beyond me.

They're looking for UFOs to hitch a ride on.

Seven years down the line, SETI@Home has never contributed anything of value.

Lots of things don't contribute "anything of value". People still do them.

humacyrnus

I will join the team, aside from my main computer I am rebuilding a computer out of some old hardware and going to set up a dedicated computer for this.  The pc is old hardware ..... p2 .. .. .. but every little bit helps I guess :)

Also do competitive gaming with UT2k4 and have not seen to huge of a performance hit lol, will likely leave running.

I have an x1600 also but i dont want to risk anything to do with my gpu atm ;)

GL and Happy Folding

BTW ... highend gaming pc VERY much overdoes ps3 ... on almost every level..

like this one from a clam member of mine  

http://www.flakmonkey.org/fm/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?2589

humacyrnus

LawL i also have a friend who is an admin for a ... large corporation ..... he is going to install it on thier new servers :p

shhhh i cant give names tho

Marthaen

Sorry my PCs are already dedicated to a team and I've racked up almost half a million points as it is and don't feel like starting over on a new team.

Delphinidae

Competitively intelligent.
Raving_Dragon said:

Someone told you false stats, unless you mean "office PCs from 1999" by "average home PC".
Besides, nobody is daft enough to sell 'supercomputers' at that price.

You are overestimating a simple console. Yes I know its stats. Some 10-core IBM processor, little RAM and a geek graphics card.

To be relevant a bit, I'm not attached to humanity enough to donate my empty CPU cycles.

Marthaen

On average I get about 12-13k a month with my machines. I could be convinced to turn them over to FA for a few months if I can get some art out of it. :p

~7~CyanFOX~7~

wow I'm surprised that someone else knows about F@~ i remember this project from awhile back :3 and My mother is a cancer survivor and her father died of Rapid Progressive Supranuclear Palsy [ Progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) ]

I'll prolly load this on the iMac at home :3 running in console mode

silverwolfe said:
http://folding.stanford.edu/

Folding@Home is a program that uses your CPU cycles to fold proteins, trying to find cures for diseases and cancers.

Recently, the PS3 got its own Folding@Home client and there is a client available to download (for all major platforms) on the link above.

Living with someone who has Parkinson's, I'm running Folding@Home, because it's a good cause and much more important than the damn Seti@Home program that searches for aliens.

You can also fold under a team and everyone's statistics on that team will be added together and will be ranked on the Folding@Home webpage.

Who here would do it and join the FurAffinity team? Do something good for humanity and all that with your extra CPU cycles.

The team number is 60091 for anyone already interested! Now get folding! :D

whitewulfe

Kyouryuu said:
Why people continue to run SETI@Home is beyond me. Seven years down the line, SETI@Home has never contributed anything of value.

Technically, such isn't exactly true... Laptops have been reclaimed by police and returned to their rightful owners because of SETI phoning home - gotta love thieves who've no clue...

Silver R. Wolfe

Wuffamute Extraordinaire!
We are doing great you guys!

In case you haven't been looking at the statistics we are currently 7464 of 57050 with a total of 18853 points! 28 active CPUs with 68 WUs completed so far!

~7~CyanFOX~7~

I always config an app before i use it...

I always config an app before i use it...

Yea I have it set to the max c.c and 30Minutes and in batches and i change priority x.x and put it on 9 Verbosity... But I use the Mac OS X one in CLI c.c

whitewulfe said:
Preyfar said:
The problem is the average home PC is so out-of-date it's not even funny. =P

Hey, some of us will upgrade... Eventually.

I'd join, but I'm already in a team. Been Folding for years...

As to those who think it would take ages for a computer to process the data, that's only with the 5MB+ modules (which were aimed at the higher powered computers, something my poor sempron 2500+ based computer is not). I average a unit every 1.5-2 days or so, and that's with a computer that hasn't been updated since before Socket 754 came out. (I also set it as a higher priority, but still)

brokenfox

Is not fixed
You can count me in, my comp is usually on for days at a time (when im downloading) and its pretty decent. So I'll use that wasted power for something good :)

Go team FA, Go.

Zippo

Banned
Banned
That f*ckin thing wrecks hell with my teatimer.exe (safer networking ltd), gives it all sorts of program errors when yrying to exit the prog till I kill the process as its making my cup percentage sky high. This thing is a system recorces hog, beware! :/

-Z

Silver R. Wolfe

Wuffamute Extraordinaire!
Zippo said:
That f*ckin thing wrecks hell with my teatimer.exe (safer networking ltd), gives it all sorts of program errors when yrying to exit the prog till I kill the process as its making my cup percentage sky high. This thing is a system recorces hog, beware! :/

-Z

It makes your CPU perform at 100% so that any CPU cycles not being used for other programs are being used for F@H.

Sphelx

Has anyone actually considered running WorldCommunityGrid instead of F@H?

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

The Grid agent not only does Proteme Folding (a la F@H) but it also does;
muscular distrophy cures,
human genome comparisons,
cancer cures
and a cure for AIDS

The Folding project has completed now, so they've initiated the second stage.

Whether you use their own grid agent program; or use BOINC instead (as I do); once you're logged in and assigned to your account, the program will crunch through each of the 5 projects in turn, one after another.

~7~CyanFOX~7~

Distributed computing... RE: The Folding@Home FurAffinity Team

Distributed computing... RE: The Folding@Home FurAffinity Team

the whole point of distributed computing is like to use "100%" of your "Brain" instead of the "33%" we normally use ^_~

Zippo said:

-Z

AnraX

Drakboll.se Hostmaster
aww no support for Sun ... that sux ;P shame sinse i got a few suns ruing idely

Status
Not open for further replies.