• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Folding@Home FurAffinity Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChosenOne

Installed it and joined the team. I had this awhyle back but had to format and lost it. I'm glad to find it agian. I've only had prolbems with it playing some games online. So I just pause it when I play them. And My computer is uasually on anyway. I just shut down my monotors. Anyway this is a really good idea and I am willing to ingore any downsides.

amtrack88

Disgruntled Employee
I used to run a farm of Pentium 2 and 3 machines for Folding. Maybe I'll network them all again for this.

SOCR

Joined the forums to say I joined the team
It said something about ATi graphics cards, does this mean it uses my video card power as well?

innuya

I just started running folding@home, and I'd like to know how I can check the team's stats..? I know I can through the website but that's complicated D:

anywhere I click in the program only brings me to the page under my name (Pierre), which there're apparently many of...

Danza

hehe Im glad to have noticed this thread, I have one of the most advanced home pcs available haha, its an octo core beast and its superclocked...mainly for some crazy high spec games I have *cough supcom cough* but this should be a good way to keep it warm and do some help at the same time ^_^

JinxCA

Danza said:
hehe Im glad to have noticed this thread, I have one of the most advanced home pcs available haha, its an octo core beast and its superclocked...mainly for some crazy high spec games I have *cough supcom cough* but this should be a good way to keep it warm and do some help at the same time ^_^

Specs plox! :O

B

bpdude

Just downloaded this a few minutes ago, and I am hoping to be able to contribute something to this project! Especially to help find cures for diseases as terrible as Alzheimer's, Cancer, etc.!:D

I just have 1 question:
Will I even be able to contribute at all to this project? My laptop's fairly old already (got it December 25th, 2005), and it only has a 1.6Ghz Intel Centrino Pentium M processor. Will I be able to help?

Thanks for posting this, and I'm glad I can join the team!:D

fastturtle

There are several questions about Folding that people tend to ask and I'll see about answering them.

Is my system to old:?:
I've successfully run it on a 700Mhz celeron with 512 megs of the P3 era. It's old & slow and I couldn't complete any deadline based work units so run it with no deadlines. Few and far between but every little bit helps.

Prior to my break that began with the new year, I used to run it on 4 systems (2 desktops/2 laptops) 24/7. They all had at least 512 megs and Athlon 1300 T-bird or 1600 Athlon XP with the laptops being Turions (Athlon64's).

One thing to keep in mind if you want a responsive system Do Not set the CPU load to high. Right on the level of 90 percent is good for almost everyone unless you've got both lots of system ram and a high performance CPU.

Another thing that will bring your system to its knees in a hurry is large work units:cry: Don't select with less the 3GB RAM This is critical if you want to be able to run your system. I've got 4GB and am able to use the large work units and my normal ram usage is 2.8GB for F@H. That's 2.8 on a Dual Core with 4GB of memory folks just for Folding.8).

System Specs for those curious:
Intel DQ965GF with E6300 C2D 4x1GB DDR2-800
Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATA and Samsung SATA DL DVD Burner
No dedicated Vid Card as the onboard meets my needs

B

bpdude

fastturtle said:
There are several questions about Folding that people tend to ask and I'll see about answering them.

Is my system to old:?:
I've successfully run it on a 700Mhz celeron with 512 megs of the P3 era. It's old & slow and I couldn't complete any deadline based work units so run it with no deadlines. Few and far between but every little bit helps.

Prior to my break that began with the new year, I used to run it on 4 systems (2 desktops/2 laptops) 24/7. They all had at least 512 megs and Athlon 1300 T-bird or 1600 Athlon XP with the laptops being Turions (Athlon64's).

One thing to keep in mind if you want a responsive system Do Not set the CPU load to high. Right on the level of 90 percent is good for almost everyone unless you've got both lots of system ram and a high performance CPU.

Another thing that will bring your system to its knees in a hurry is large work units:cry: Don't select with less the 3GB RAM This is critical if you want to be able to run your system. I've got 4GB and am able to use the large work units and my normal ram usage is 2.8GB for F@H. That's 2.8 on a Dual Core with 4GB of memory folks just for Folding.8).

Wow! I didn't realize how quickly others respond in this forum! Well, I guess that pretty much says "Yes!" to my question.:D I also have only 1.5GB of RAM, so I guess I won't be doing any large work loads. Thanks for the quick response!:D:D

innuya

soo I was folding right, and overnight left my computer open overnight (I only had 30 parts left in the 1500-part WU I was doing... so close!). When I woke up, F@H said it was trying to download a new WU but was having errors..? This was five days ago, and it still gets errors (the other day it went up to its 20th try downloading it... it pauses in between tries).
Anyone else having this issue? How can I fix it?
EDIT: Nevermind, I just left it on tonight and the folding has continued! :O
Edit 2: It's working the same WU I had before, WRRRYYYY??!

fastturtle

This is good b/c I find myself just letting my mac idle most of the time anyways.
which is exactly why I run it.

Okay folks
Some more information about Folding

First off, you will never rework the same work unit if it completes. That's because of the deadlines involved. You will see it take some time to either upload the finished work unit (I've seen as long as 5 days) you will also see it take a while grabbing a new work unit (that's taken as long as 4 days) so don't despair. It'll eventually send it to the server and finally grab another one to work on. Sometimes that takes a while because they're only granted so much badnwidth on the network. Remember folks, this project is run from Standford University and uses the Campus bandwidth so things can get bogged down a bit.

As innuya discovered, leave it on overnight and it should eventually get a connection with the server to send a completed while grabbing a new unit. This is actually how the client is designed as once it completes a WU, it needs a new one so instead of forcing you to wait other then to get the initial connection, it'll grab as soon as the server accepts the completed data.

Now for those just starting to Fold, you'll get a mix of long and short until the server understands how your system responds to deadlines. Eventually, if your system is like mine (on 24/7/365) the server will start giving you larger units with deadlines as short as possible. The main thing to keep in mind is there's absolutely no favoritism about this. It's all in the programing and just like a Bit torrent client, the more you give, the more you get.

One last thing. Set your clients checkpoints to around 7-9 minutes unless you're using a laptop, then you want to set it as short as possible. There is a slight performance hit for the shorter checkpoints but I find it's a better tradeoff instead of redoing work that could have been saved.

Advanced Folding
Now we'll get into some of the more estorotic clients like the PS3 or GPU clients.

The folks had plenty of input on the PS3 client from Sony, so it can realy crank some work out. IF you've got one and can, leave it on overnight and put some serious horse power into the project.

On the GPU front, the most popular is the one for the ATI x1 series of cards (1300/1600/1900) models. Just note that you need at least 256 megs on the card though more is better. For those running Nvidia cards, you need at least a 7600 with 256 or more to even consider this though I have no idea how well the Nvidia cards are doing.

Like many high end games, the client needs total access to the video card so don't run a screen saver. Instead have the monitor go to standby. Also the GPU client will use some cpu cycles to control the client and for I/O operations. Things like fetching to and from memory, writing it's checkpoints to the disk.

One thing to keep in mind about the GPU client. It will tress test your vid card in a hurry. It's even better then running any game as it will push your Vid card to it's thermal limits. Because of this, one thing you damn well need to ensure is that you have a high quality PSU and a thread with plenty of suggestions can be found in High Quality PSU's which is an excellent read about just how power hungry the new video cards have gotten. Also note that they discuss PSU's that are known for Quality, meaning that if the rating is for 500 watts, that is the continuous rating, not peak, which might only be 2 or three seconds before it Fries.

Because this is an ATI forum, you'll not get info on Nvidia demands but if you can find the required input (Google is your friend) then you can cross reference the list to see who makes a PSU that wont kill your system or budget. I can't emphasize this enough. You need a high quality PSU to use the GPU Clients because of the High end Cards needed.
You can PM me with specific questions but please read theFAQ before asking me.

innuya

It only started working on a new WU on the fourth night I'd left my computer open, the other nights were full of "failed connection #xx; attempting new connection" or something along those lines.
When I had last seen the progress, it was at 1470/1500 parts. When I woke up the morning after it was having those failed connections, soo I assumed it had finished the working unit and was trying to connect to the server to get a new one/send in the data. After a few days/nights of failed attempts at connecting, I woke up to see 20/1500 parts, so I figured it started working on a new one
When I go look at my user statistics, though, it tells me that I haven't completed a working unit, and that my computer hasn't even been working. I don't show up on the FA team, either. What's up with that? ):
http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as5100.htm
here be my laptop. 2gigs of ram, etc. I don't know where to find specs on a Vista D:

oh and I have Vista too, would that a possible explination for the fail?

I would join this, but I am also already in another team.

I do have a second core at this point, but if I did ever set up F@H as a process for both cores, I would have them both contributing to the same team as I am right now...

I'm an E6600 overclocker at 3.2GHz, so once the F@H stats page is back up, I'll run a compare of the two teams and maybe join FA if I think my FLOPS will make a bigger team impact there.

Also, the PS3 client is actually very effective, right up there with the new GPU client, which I may give a try if I can ever get my 8800 cool enough under load... the fan struggles to keep it below 80C at idle as it is.

The majority of almost every PC user's clock cycles are going to waste as it is. Believe it or not, running multiple apps is not going to take a big chunk of a fast processor's power. You may peak out occasionally using some things like photoshop, but apps generally only use the processor in short spurts, or only use a very small percentage of it, unless they use a lot of CPU by design (i.e., number crunching apps, prime95, superPI, Orthos, etc., or distributed computing clients like F@H, all of which use a ton of CPU power, but at a very low priority, so they only use what's left over from all the other apps)

A PS3 client does much more folding than the average PC client... but that's because the average PC running F@H isn't as powerful as a PS3. A good gaming rig running F@H on all cores and the GPU will easily overtake a PS3, even if you're using it to multitask at other things 90% of the time. It just has more beef than you'll ever use for casual apps. The only real downside of this, is the massive amount of heat generated by folding at full bore on everything... and some potential stability issues with less sturdy systems.

Rys_Khyrsal

I joined! Using Rys_Khyrsal as my username in it too. This looks interesting..and if it will end up helping people, I'll feel good about that.

I just changed teams to FA... changed names too (to CaptainSaicin), so much for my running score...

SMP client refused to config, so I just went with separate console clients on each core.

Zakassis

Fweee!
CaptainSaicin said:
Also, the PS3 client is actually very effective, right up there with the new GPU client, which I may give a try if I can ever get my 8800 cool enough under load... the fan struggles to keep it below 80C at idle as it is.

A PS3 client does much more folding than the average PC client... but that's because the average PC running F@H isn't as powerful as a PS3. A good gaming rig running F@H on all cores and the GPU will easily overtake a PS3, even if you're using it to multitask at other things 90% of the time. It just has more beef than you'll ever use for casual apps. The only real downside of this, is the massive amount of heat generated by folding at full bore on everything... and some potential stability issues with less sturdy systems.

My laptop is constantly running at a temperature within the range of 103°F and 113°F, and it hasn't had any problems. Then again, it rarely ever gets turned off unless I'm traveling a long distance somewhere.

This laptop only has a 1.6 GHz processor at dual core, and I have F@H set to use 80% of the remaining processor availability because I don't want my processor cores to go over 120°F. At the moment, both processors are leveled out at 117°F.

Since I started, I've already finished 2 sectors of 5000 frames each, and the current going one is on 350/5000. That one is estimated to finish on December 1st at 9:18 AM PST.

117F isn't very hot at all for a CPU. Most of them are safe to around 140.

GPUs run even hotter. Up to 200.

DragonTrew

What about Rosetta? I'm telling because I already have the Boinc project manager and Rosetta is designed to boinc...

Yeah, in case you're wondering I DO help SETI as well as Rosetta for a while...

DragonTrew said:
What about Rosetta? I'm telling because I already have the Boinc project manager and Rosetta is designed to boinc...

No idea...

I personally thought SETI@Home made a much prettier screensaver... it looked like it was actually analyzing something, rather than just turning molecules around... that's why I ran it for so long.

Now I guess I'm folding for FA.

Extreme Overclocking has a nice stats site for tracking team and donor progress.
Team Stats
Team Brakedown

CaptainSaicin
Look out BoingGoat, I'm coming for you!
BoingGoat

DragonTrew

CaptainSaicin said:
DragonTrew said:

No idea...

I personally thought SETI@Home made a much prettier screensaver... it looked like it was actually analyzing something, rather than just turning molecules around... that's why I ran it for so long.

Now I guess I'm folding for FA.

Extreme Overclocking has a nice stats site for tracking team and donor progress.
Team Stats
Team Brakedown

CaptainSaicin
Look out BoingGoat, I'm coming for you!
BoingGoat

Well Rosetta is a project destined to folding as well, but it don't require you to download a new program since it runs at the same platform as SETI. BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) is a client for a numerous projects, the entire list of projects can be found here:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php

The Rosetta site: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

DragonTrew said:
Well Rosetta is a project destined to folding as well, but it don't require you to download a new program since it runs at the same platform as SETI. BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) is a client for a numerous projects, the entire list of projects can be found here:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php

The Rosetta site: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

Since that's part of an independent project, it wouldn't apply with relation to F@H, unless I'm misreading something.

Perhaps Rosetta allows its own project teams for stat tracking, in which case I see no reason FA can't have a team, but it's just a separate project from F@H.

DragonTrew

CaptainSaicin said:
Since that's part of an independent project, it wouldn't apply with relation to F@H, unless I'm misreading something.

Perhaps Rosetta allows its own project teams for stat tracking, in which case I see no reason FA can't have a team, but it's just a separate project from F@H.

Well I think it is a different project. I don't see why FA couldn't have a team there either :3

And you have the fact that users running SETI (like me) CAN run something useful as well without any extra thing to download or whatever...

Status
Not open for further replies.