• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Folding@Home FurAffinity Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewriter

New Member
Just what does the user agreement imply that they can do to you? Scariest user agreement I have ever seen. They could destroy your machine and not be held reliable. I see no possible motivation which is why I signed up but I told my folks and they started screaming at me.
What did the technical people who responded to this thread do to make sure it was not a scam and warn other furrys of potential security risks?
 

DragonTrew

Member
thewriter said:
Just what does the user agreement imply that they can do to you? Scariest user agreement I have ever seen. They could destroy your machine and not be held reliable. I see no possible motivation which is why I signed up but I told my folks and they started screaming at me.
What did the technical people who responded to this thread do to make sure it was not a scam and warn other furrys of potential security risks?

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/info.php

I don't see any risks with Rosetta that I wouldn't have with any other client-server application... Even AIM or MSN have their risks, e-mail clients, even windows update...

I haven't read the Folding@home, but I think the risks are the same ones... So I have no worries about it at all...
 
thewriter said:
Just what does the user agreement imply that they can do to you? Scariest user agreement I have ever seen. They could destroy your machine and not be held reliable. I see no possible motivation which is why I signed up but I told my folks and they started screaming at me.
What did the technical people who responded to this thread do to make sure it was not a scam and warn other furrys of potential security risks?

lol

No, if they destroyed your machine they would not be held as reliable.

It's an intensive computing app. There are always risks to certain systems that do not have adequate cooling or are already instable.

A scam? Just what would they be scamming you for? valuable processor time that you're not already using?

Unless you're doing something stupid with it like running it with a towel wrapped around your computer's cooling vents, or running it on a computer that already has heat issues, the worst that could happen is that it doesn't cure cancer... which is hardly that unexpected, really.
 

thewriter

New Member
CaptainSaicin said:
No, if they destroyed your machine they would not be held as reliable.

It's an intensive computing app. There are always risks to certain systems that do not have adequate cooling or are already instable.

A scam? Just what would they be scamming you for? valuable processor time that you're not already using?

Unless you're doing something stupid with it like running it with a towel wrapped around your computer's cooling vents, or running it on a computer that already has heat issues, the worst that could happen is that it doesn't cure cancer.

A scam would mean that they were not downloading what they said they were downloading to your system. A scam would mean that they were lying about trying to cure cancer. But in this case you have a website you can go to and can go to Stanford's website.

However, someone could take advantage of the Playstation Online Store and hack financial information.
 
thewriter said:
CaptainSaicin said:
No, if they destroyed your machine they would not be held as reliable.

It's an intensive computing app. There are always risks to certain systems that do not have adequate cooling or are already instable.

A scam? Just what would they be scamming you for? valuable processor time that you're not already using?

Unless you're doing something stupid with it like running it with a towel wrapped around your computer's cooling vents, or running it on a computer that already has heat issues, the worst that could happen is that it doesn't cure cancer.

A scam would mean that they were not downloading what they said they were downloading to your system. A scam would mean that they were lying about trying to cure cancer. But in this case you have a website you can go to and can go to Stanford's website.

However, someone could take advantage of the Playstation Online Store and hack financial information.

You said it yourself; it's Stanford, a very reputable university, and frankly, if you can't trust them with coding some software, then why are you trusting whoever wrote your internet browser?
 
Bump!

Production Chart for Team FurAffinity the last 30 days:
productiondayphpxf7.png


We're falling behind, guys! We need to get folding! Our team was doing so well, I thought we had some real chance of moving up, but now we're only doing a small fraction of what we were before, and still declining. I'm doing more folding production than the next four fastest folders combined right now, so I challenge all of you to keep up with me!

If you have a multi-core processor (NOT Pentium D/M or Celeron), be sure you're folding with the SMP client if you can (Don't worry about it if you're on a laptop or have overheating issues). And if you're using the SMP client or one of the other Beta clients, make sure you're keeping it up to date and replacing it with the latest client when it becomes available so it doesn't expire and stop working.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=60091

Props to everyone staying in the game:
Rank Name Points/Day

1 CaptainSaicin 1,625
2 Pandaman 466
3 Mewtwo 448
4 MarcusPS3 361
5 Kasarn 357
6 FuzzyFox 311
7 BoingGoat 295
8 Nalz 259
9 Elazul 247
10 Felix_The_Mink 237
11 indicaged 205
12 Draklerahl 200
13 WinnME 196
14 Targo 184
15 Kapps 175
16 Kerus 151
17 Krimon 125
18 Lime 124
19 Foxlink 113
20 Sasurai 109
 

chrysolithos

New Member
When I first used my PS3 for folding I noticed how much warmer my spare bedroom was. So I stopped as my electric bills were high enough. But if 2 bird= 1 stone...
at least until summer time.

First updateing the FAH version...
Now I'm updating the PS3 software....
I guess it's been a few months... blame the Wii and Avitar.
And away I go...
 
chrysolithos said:
When I first used my PS3 for folding I noticed how much warmer my spare bedroom was. So I stopped as my electric bills were high enough. But if 2 bird= 1 stone...
at least until summer time.

First updateing the FAH version...
Now I'm updating the PS3 software....
I guess it's been a few months... blame the Wii and Avitar.

I look forward to seeing just what kind of ppd the PS3 is capable of.
 

chrysolithos

New Member
CaptainSaicin said:
chrysolithos said:
When I first used my PS3 for folding I noticed how much warmer my spare bedroom was. So I stopped as my electric bills were high enough. But if 2 bird= 1 stone...
at least until summer time.

First updateing the FAH version...
Now I'm updating the PS3 software....
I guess it's been a few months... blame the Wii and Avitar.

I look forward to seeing just what kind of ppd the PS3 is capable of.



I saw at leat one PS3 on the team list already. It does heat up my spare bedroom fine. And the team trend seems to have improved as well, but that's hardly my fault.


Woot! I'm on the charts now, way down at rank 15 for our team. Looks like I'm getting 750 PPD. But maybe I'm reading the chart wrong.
Go FA! Raw Raw Raw!
 
id join, but im already doing World Community Grid and BURP. Not to mention i hate the folding@home client, there is no easy way to check what percentage your task is at (at least on linux, there is no GUI.....)
 

ADF

Member
There we go, used my full name (AnnoyedDragonFurry).

I lost 98 points to the ADF name but I'm only starting anyway.
 

ADF

Member
foldingwf8.jpg

I have no idea what this performance means in terms of the score people have been saying in this thread, I heard you cannot really use the display to determine GPU performance because it itself being 3D reduces performance.

Oh well I'm working my way up the score board :p Shame not as many people do it on FA as they used to.
 
Last edited:

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Joining up on the FA Folding@Home. I'm setting both my PS3 and main PC to fold for FA's team. :) My GX2 has twice the graphics processing power of a PS3, so I can crunch a WU in about 4 hours -vs- the PS3's 8.
 

ADF

Member
Is there something I'm missing here? People always talk about work units taking hours but it only takes just under an hour for me (check image).

Or am I mixing it up with something else?
 

Drakaji

Avatar update pending laziness
Might as well pitch in my comp as well. I use it a lot but I can always dedicate one of the CPU cores to folding.
 

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
ADS, see the "progress" percentage. Unless I'm mistaken - that is the progress of one work unit. You still have a long way to go before folding it.
 

ADF

Member
ADS, see the "progress" percentage. Unless I'm mistaken - that is the progress of one work unit. You still have a long way to go before folding it.
Yeah but it does a WU in under an hour, I've done 20+ now and I only recently started, people are saying theirs takes 4-8 hours. I'm using the beta Nvidia client so it is using my GPU for acceleration.

Also where did Dragoneer's response to my last comment go?

(Woot now in the top 100)

Another question, what dictates your score? I've noticed great variation in the number of points people have as opposed to the number of work units; one got 5 for a work unit while another got 1769, I got 98 for my first WU.
 

Drakaji

Avatar update pending laziness
Yeah but it does a WU in under an hour, I've done 20+ now and I only recently started, people are saying theirs takes 4-8 hours. I'm using the beta Nvidia client so it is using my GPU for acceleration.

Also where did Dragoneer's response to my last comment go?

(Woot now in the top 100)

Another question, what dictates your score? I've noticed great variation in the number of points people have as opposed to the number of work units; one got 5 for a work unit while another got 1769, I got 98 for my first WU.

I can vouch for the <1 hour claim. The NVidia beta client uses the GPU for processing the information and since GPU has a very low demand outside of gaming, that gives it a lot of idle time and power.

It took my CPU almost 5 hours for a 150 frame WU, while my NVidia is almost at 2000/5000 for it's work unit and it has only been around 20-30 minutes
 
man the installing takes forever -.-
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top