• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The future of furry writing

jinxtigr

Feline Miscreant
I'm writing what I enjoy. I didn't PLAN to build an audience through erotica and then branch out; it just happened. I feel tremendously fortunate that there are so many people out there who happen to enjoy what I do.

I believe I went the opposite direction. I wrote Kings of Rainmoor, which barely had sex in it but had some provocative bits sneaking in anyhow because some of the characters were more shameless than others. Then I wrote Ghosts of Rainmoor, which explored the consequences of the first book's choices but still was largely unsexual. Then I wrote Aquarius, which showed the first gay characters and had a lot more sexual situations, but still would not go into an explicit scene- it ends with an explicit scene heard through a door by a voyeur fox!

All of these, I did not promote. I basically don't promote, I just do. I write anyway, with or without readers, so the high water mark of my popularity has been having almost everything I've done 'five star OMG must read' on Miavir's old furry story index, which now has broken links- those books are now on the Tally Road site.

Then I started a webcomic, because at least you can get noticed on the Belfry list if you have a furry webcomic. It started off clean and then I went what the hell, and got into some very explicit, very twisted and intense erotic material, and discovered that the plots got even more interesting when this very powerful motivator was off the leash running around yiffing people ;) characters' reactions to sexual things can be powerful! Short of starving characters it's hard to get stronger tensions into writing :)

The webcomic hovered around 40-50 on the furry section of the Belfry list, at about 300 readers a day- I quit it because I got to hate drawing and only wanted to tell the story, and switched over to straight up no pictures writing. I've done about 40K words so far and quite a bit of it has been explicitly erotic because the stories I'm telling this time live in that world- ironically, it's been all straight so far though I do have a gay/straight triangle in which the gay relationship is less screwed up than the straight side of the triangle. Almost none of my sexual relationships are really healthy, because it's writing and healthy people are less interesting :) Because it's writing and not pictures, readership is down to about 100 readers a day, but still with no real promotion either from me or from any of the readers that I know of.

I disagree passionately that 'furry writer' is a label to avoid in favor of more general description. The last thing you want is to be passed off as 'versatile'- that's deadly for marketing- ideally you find a passion, pursue it whatever it is, and let yourself be defined by something you actually like. If 'furry' becomes a craze and the new SF- and face it, Avatar was a big hit for popularizing blue kitty lust- then everything could change rapidly. Plus, traditional print is in crisis- there is no benefit to being picked up as a midlist author by a publishing house that promptly dies.

As far as the furry writer guild thing- hell, I'd love a little more validation too, but I have a variety of life stuff to do as well as wanting to put out upwards of 2000 words a day- 1000 is OK, I'd like to be at more, like NaNoWriMo output levels just as a normal lifestyle. I don't know about the rest of you but I have to grab moments of cameraderie where I can- like hanging with Rabbit at FWA, which was great- because I don't normally have time for any of that because I have to WRITE.

Could be worse, I could still be having to draw :)

My point being, validation and doing good work are not the same thing. It's great to want fandom support, but I wrote three novels without it and I'm still grinding away merrily in my little monastic nook- now, on a daily website. You can get a lot of validation from just ONE FAN who is reading along, paying attention, and knows your story. If the future of furry writing doesn't contain any fandom support or guilds or sense of belonging, I'm seriously okay with that, because that's what I've had for the last ten-twenty years and it just made me lonely, it didn't stop me being able to work.

Poetigress

Panthera tigris libris
You can get a lot of validation from just ONE FAN who is reading along, paying attention, and knows your story.

And that's great. I'm not saying it isn't. But I don't think the fact that one fan is great means that you shouldn't want to work for more than one, for as many as you can reach. We all want to be read, and I'd like to think I'm not the only one who wants to be read by as many people as reasonably possible.

If the future of furry writing doesn't contain any fandom support or guilds or sense of belonging, I'm seriously okay with that, because that's what I've had for the last ten-twenty years and it just made me lonely, it didn't stop me being able to work.

Loneliness and not having support does hold people back, though. I know, this is the sort of thing that gets people going "bawww" or whatever stupid Internet term is trendy right now, but I do think having support structure makes a difference -- in the quantity and the quality -- in the work that's being produced. It might make one feel superior to say "oh, I don't need that, I'll just keep doing it no matter what," and perhaps in some ways that's true -- after all, I wouldn't stop writing even if no one else were ever to read anything of mine again -- but again, being able to do without something doesn't mean it wouldn't be a nice goal to work toward anyway.

Nobody's saying that more support for writing in the fandom would be a substitute for good writing, or that good writing can't be done without it. But I think most anything is a lot more fun when you do have support from your peers.

I guess the short version of what I'm saying is, I'm not okay with it as long as there's still a chance of making things better.

Last edited:

GraemeLion

Well, I think for a good start, we need to make things better by collecting a wishlist of desires for the site, and presenting them to Dragoneer.

I'm a coder myself, with some experience in requirements writing. I'm certain many of us share similar high tech careers. We already have the traffic here, we just don't have them directed.

If we run off to some other site, are we going to be able to regain that traffic?

Of course, this all goes back to the core problem: How do we get people to read our stuff?

jinxtigr

Feline Miscreant
For what it's worth, I support more peer support, fandom awareness, what have you- certain types of it I won't be much help with, some types I can be more helpful around.

I guess what _I'm__ saying is, I'm going to tend to be lonely and isolated anyhow, with or without peer support, so I don't tend to reach out much, and when I do it usually doesn't pan out. Go figure. It's much like being a working cartoonist- some art forms just isolate you and there's not a lot you can do about it.

I guess I'm questioning how much is lack of fandom support, and how much is just being a writer and experiencing what that's like... that said, we do get together at times and that can be a blast. Be sure and hit writing panels at cons- it's good to bring some positive energy into those :)

panzergulo

canTANKERous individual
But in order for something like this to be successful, people are going to have to... you know... do something.

If it wasn't clear from my previous post, this was pretty much what I was trying to say in the middle of it all. Talking is fine. But if you want to see something happening, successful or not, somebody has to stand up and shove his hands into the dirt... possibly making a fool of him or herself at first... but hopefully coming through it and achieving something new. If it involved only sitting on my computer and sending a huge load of emails and being a general pain in the bottom towards other people, I would do it myself, but I don't have any name whatsoever, neither inside nor outside the fandom, so yeah, no luck there.

nybx4life

A training artist
Something I've realized, and this is just me here, is that the more regulars who post within this forum, such as Renard, Poetigress, Panzergulo and others, in my opinion have some sort of reputation, at least within this section of the forums.

With that being said, if you guys were to combine your efforts into such a project, it could work. I'm not sure of any more known writer in FA aside from you guys, anyway.

nybx4life

A training artist
But, just to add quickly, it might just be a willingness to do such a thing, and popularity has nothing to do with it.
If that is the case, who's willing to stand up to it?

panzergulo

canTANKERous individual
[...] Renard, Poetigress, Panzergulo and others [...]

There's somebody who doesn't fit into this group of writers. Lessee...

Out of these three, who speaks English as a native tongue?
MLR: yes
Poetigress: yes
panzergulo: no

Out of these three, who has been published?
Poetigress: yes (quite a few times, if I have understood right)

Out of these three, who is going to be published in the future too?
MLR: yes (and I do believe in this)
panzergulo: no (I admit, it's an opinion for now, and they can change... but for the time being... nah, I'm not gonna publish anything)

Out of these three, who has won 'Anthrofiction Network Short Story Contest' at least once? (Hey, I haven't taken part to other contests, so I gotta work with what I can, eh?)

How many forum posts these three have on FAF?
MLR: 2,585 (and he's a mod too)
Poetigress: 564
panzergulo: 172 (and half of them are about getting into flame wars anyway)

I could continue the list, but it's 11PM here in Finland, so I don't quite have the power anymore. But anyway, I am very curious... how did you pick up my puny user name into that very grand list of three writers and "others"? Also, I have understood most forum regulars hate me anyway, because I'm always causing mayhem and bullying newbies and stuff. MLR and some other people have probably got used to my quirks, like randomly insulting somebody, but I am not that easy person to cope with, at least at first, before they learn half of the time I'm just being quirky. I'm surprised I haven't yet been banned from FAF.

Anyway, my point is, if I (or somebody else who has more fame about being an a-hole than being a good writer and a conversationalist) started going around and poking people and making things happen, most of the time I wouldn't be getting any response... to someone who takes him or herself seriously, I'm just some annoying kid or, more likely, someone to be avoided. The person who should be in charge should have some completely other qualities than me. A bit of name and reputation of being easy to cope with are a good start, and a little bit of leadership instincts wouldn't be bad either.

My view of my online persona might be much darker than what it actually is... but it isn't so easy for me to figure out what other people truly think about me... so I go by with what I get... what isn't too positive.

nybx4life

A training artist
I could continue the list, but it's 11PM here in Finland, so I don't quite have the power anymore. But anyway, I am very curious... how did you pick up my puny user name into that very grand list of three writers and "others"?

Anyway, my point is, if I (or somebody else who has more fame about being an a-hole than being a good writer and a conversationalist) started going around and poking people and making things happen, most of the time I wouldn't be getting any response... to someone who takes him or herself seriously, I'm just some annoying kid or, more likely, someone to be avoided. The person who should be in charge should have some completely other qualities than me. A bit of name and reputation of being easy to cope with are a good start, and a little bit of leadership instincts wouldn't be bad either.

My view of my online persona might be much darker than what it actually is... but it isn't so easy for me to figure out what other people truly think about me... so I go by with what I get... what isn't too positive.

I picked you only since I've seen you post here in the forums about as much as the others (if anything, it just says that I haven't been here very long). Besides, it is the internet. As I have seen (and going off to assume), the amount of English that you know is enough to communicate well with others.

I do agree leadership instincts and a more positive reputation wouldn't hurt, but don't forget that you're known here.

But, if you believe yourself to not be part of the group, forgive me. I don't come here often, and since I see you post a lot from the times I do come, I assume you to be known.

Back to my original point though, it still leaves Poetigress and Renard within the known and popular within these writer forums.

Poetigress

Panthera tigris libris
In my experience, what it tends to boil down to is, the people who have the desire and/or time to do something often don't have the skills or experience, and the people who do have the skills and experience don't have the time and/or desire. :)

While I wouldn't exactly put myself in that latter category, if we're talking about some kind of website, keep in mind that unlike most furries, I am decidedly not a computer geek, so I don't know how much I could help on the technical end of things. For other aspects, I'd be happy to help as I can, although I'm not 100% sure what I'd be volunteering for. Are we still talking about creating a formal guild, or simply a writers' website, or... what exactly?

nybx4life

A training artist
In my experience, what it tends to boil down to is, the people who have the desire and/or time to do something often don't have the skills or experience, and the people who do have the skills and experience don't have the time and/or desire. :)

While I wouldn't exactly put myself in that latter category, if we're talking about some kind of website, keep in mind that unlike most furries, I am decidedly not a computer geek, so I don't know how much I could help on the technical end of things. For other aspects, I'd be happy to help as I can, although I'm not 100% sure what I'd be volunteering for. Are we still talking about creating a formal guild, or simply a writers' website, or... what exactly?

It's true, there's a lot of other things to consider:eek:
Unless there's someone who could start a webpage to start it, it could work here on FA, with a group account or something.

A good strong group here on FA (which could spread to other websites, such as DeviantArt) could be a great base to work with until there's someone who could help create a website to continue it.

M. LeRenard

Is not French
I think you'd be a good voice to have, panzer, in a writer's guild. If only because you seem to be really level-headed most of the time.
Honestly, I would love to start a website just for furry writers, and to run it, but at this point in my life I just can't make any kind of commitment, because I don't know where I'll be 6 months from now. I also am severely lacking in programming skills and web design ability (though I'm trying to rectify that by teaching myself C++ as a starter language... yes, that's my new project), so that doesn't help.
I'm in limbo, waiting to see if I get into any grad schools, and preparing for a job search if I don't, so taking on a massive project like starting up a furry writer's guild just doesn't seem like a good idea right now. So that's my excuse. And I'm sure we all have excuses why we can't do it, and they're all valid. That's the problem, obviously.

nybx4life

A training artist
I'm in limbo, waiting to see if I get into any grad schools, and preparing for a job search if I don't, so taking on a massive project like starting up a furry writer's guild just doesn't seem like a good idea right now. So that's my excuse. And I'm sure we all have excuses why we can't do it, and they're all valid. That's the problem, obviously.

It truly is a problem, and nobody here is to blame. Hopefully we'll get someone who could start it up, or there is a group already out there that is possible to join.

Fere

Money and job are a constant bane in this respect. I find myself juggling a full-time job and out-of-work courses, with trying to get on with everything else. It is rather tough. The balance is fine, and the dedication to your out-of-work leisure time is both precious and essential.

So in this respect, I do partially agree with Poetigress. It can tend to be one or the other. But if you look at it (within your own logic) in another way, the people "without the skills/experience" have the most time to develop. Whilst those "with the skills/experience" will take that time to conjure up great stories.

I shall categorise myself in neither way, save to say that I have more than enough desire and, given the strength of the former and my own *dedication*, I will have enough time. "Enough time" for something like this is relative.

And if you want something badly enough, you'll get it.

Nevertheless, I truly empathise with those trying to get into work or college, whilst trying to complete lifelong desires/goals.

Foxstar

lol reggin
Why does a writer have to be 'furry' at all? Does everything have to come from someone within the fandom?

duroc

so taking on a massive project like starting up a furry writer's guild just doesn't seem like a good idea right now.

Well, I guess I'm going to throw my hat into the ring as someone who is going to consider taking on such a project. Though I'll be honest, I have no expertise when it comes to making a website and I'm not really sure where to start. Here is sort of the idea I had in my head(and remember this is a very rough concept, so please feel free to chime in).

In my opinion, this is going to have to be constructed around its own website because I feel like furaffinity is not the appropriate place for such a thing. I feel that the purpose of a writers guild is to help promote writers and help elevate the quality of writing within the fandom, so there will need to be ways to limit members to those who have proven themselves(I'm not quite sure how this will be accomplished, but I was thinking of something similar to how members are accepted into the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Association). And at the same time, I feel that such a site will give new and upcoming writers something to strive and work towards. It can give publishers and writers a place to gather, get helpful information, showcase their accomplishments and promote upcoming projects. It can have a forum to discuss important topics pertaining to writing(and hopefully there will be less flamers and people posting pointless nonsense for attention purposes), and it can be a place to help publishers, editors, artists, and readers find quality writers and reading material within the fandom.

I don't think it needs to be anything particularly fancy, but again, this is something where I'd be completely out of my element and it will likely take a lot of time to figure things out, as I do have many of the same real life responsibilities as most everyone else.

BatRat

Nightmare, the Furry Superhero
I wonder... What if it was a story that wasn't about the anthro animals, but the people in the suits? Like, a horror or realistic fiction that included people belonging to the furry culture?

Scarborough

Cliched & Trite
I wonder... What if it was a story that wasn't about the anthro animals, but the people in the suits? Like, a horror or realistic fiction that included people belonging to the furry culture?

I've done that before? And it turned out terrible?

Not because the concept is inherently terrible, but because the angle I chose to write from was terrible.

Altamont

The Bard of the Beasts
In my opinion, this is going to have to be constructed around its own website because I feel like furaffinity is not the appropriate place for such a thing.

I agree with that wholeheartedly, because I think furaffinty works with a system thst is very good as a visual arts gallery, but certainly not so much as a writer's forum. In fact, I think it's almost impossible these days to get a piece of in-depth, quasi-professional, non-sexual (if that's what you wanna do) story read and adequately criticized within the confines of the site.

That being said, as numerous people have already pointed out, it seems like the creation of a website, much less a formal guild, is something that might be a little more to bite off than we can collectively chew. To rush in to something that has the potential to be really important to a lot of aspiring and occasionally frustrated writers in this here furry community (read: me, lol) could kill the idea in its crib.

So I propose we start small, as in within the borders of this FA community, particularly in the forums. Why don't we start but just creating a mailing list, where all of the people who are seriously considering this project a viable and important one that they could invest a little of their time on. The mailing list could keep all of these people in contact so that they can share stories, constructive criticism, and ideas for expansion of the "guild" without having to worry about being swallowed whole by the rest of the community. A sticky on this Writer's Bloc board could be used as a community bulletin board, notifying story updates, organizing other places on the net to meet, or even simply scheduling mailing correspondences between writers.

It's not complicated, and it has the potential to in and of itself provide a more personal and constructive structure for the writer's community here. Then, after enough time (years, even), a community would hopefully be build up enough to branch off in to it's own self-efficient entity.

Again, just throwing ideas out there, but I think it has potential; it feels really olds school, back when all the furries had were MUCKs, conventions, and underground magazines.

Not that I was actually around for any of that, mind you ;)

panzergulo

canTANKERous individual
I somewhat agree with Altamont in this subject... just getting a bit more organized could be a good thing at first. Just having one place where we could appoint people at instead of giving random pieces of info and something between one and five directions would be a good step.

This is pretty much the list I give to a young writer in FA who seeks for help:

FA Writers: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/fawriters/
The Writer's Block: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/writersblock/
Poetigress' Thursday Prompts: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/poetigress/
and the FAQ of the previous: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/723637/
and the most recent Prompt: http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/1306715/
FAF's The Writer's Bloc: http://forums.furaffinity.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45
and its critique thread: http://forums.furaffinity.net/showthread.php?t=65484
and the collected links thread: http://forums.furaffinity.net/showthread.php?t=46619

...and this isn't everything I could give... so, if I could just say:

Go HERE.

...it would be so easy and convenient... and often people don't know about these things... and all the beginning writers or older writers seeking for help for the next step receive is just some random string of hear-say, rumors and opinions.

Now, a completely new site might be something a bit too grand now... but I wouldn't mind ditching FAF... honestly, just getting a forum with less harassment, trolling, flaming and side-tracking would be a good thing. Of course, we couldn't just leave FA... or any other site used by furry writers... but we could have a writer-driven hub of information and stuff... instead of this goddamned clusterfuck we are having now... excuse my colorful language... it's not easy to find a English word with the same meaning as härdelli, häröpallo or häsäkkä. ...and my military background also rises its ugly head... So, just getting people informed and at least a decent momentum by dragging somewhat known writers behind some new forum could be our first step.

Lessee what Google says about things...

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source...l=&oq=free+forum+&gs_rfai=&fp=bcdf8cbbf06dc4f

Yup... about 30 million hits for "free forum hosting"... I believe one "Furry Writer's Guild" would fit just nicely somewhere there.

So, expanding out from FA, creating a hub and getting more writers behind the cause and actually defining the short and long term goals of the cause could be some first steps in this matter. And mind you, we need names on our side, just some random group of furry kids won't make it, nobody would take it seriously. And cooperation is important. Cooperation with sites, cooperation with site sub-communities, cooperation with publishers. And information. Being inbred and closed won't work, people would need to spread the word, with whatever ways possible.

One long term goal could be: When a furry asks about anything relating to writing, the first person answering wouldn't say "I dunno" or "I think..." and continue with something random, but would say: "Ever heard about the Furry Writer's Guild? They have an answer for your question."

nybx4life

A training artist
Now, a completely new site might be something a bit too grand now... but I wouldn't mind ditching FAF... honestly, just getting a forum with less harassment, trolling, flaming and side-tracking would be a good thing. Of course, we couldn't just leave FA... or any other site used by furry writers... but we could have a writer-driven hub of information and stuff... instead of this goddamned clusterfuck we are having now... excuse my colorful language... it's not easy to find a English word with the same meaning as härdelli, häröpallo or häsäkkä. ...and my military background also rises its ugly head... So, just getting people informed and at least a decent momentum by dragging somewhat known writers behind some new forum could be our first step.

Lessee what Google says about things...

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source...l=&oq=free+forum+&gs_rfai=&fp=bcdf8cbbf06dc4f

Yup... about 30 million hits for "free forum hosting"... I believe one "Furry Writer's Guild" would fit just nicely somewhere there.

So, expanding out from FA, creating a hub and getting more writers behind the cause and actually defining the short and long term goals of the cause could be some first steps in this matter. And mind you, we need names on our side, just some random group of furry kids won't make it, nobody would take it seriously. And cooperation is important. Cooperation with sites, cooperation with site sub-communities, cooperation with publishers. And information. Being inbred and closed won't work, people would need to spread the word, with whatever ways possible.

One long term goal could be: When a furry asks about anything relating to writing, the first person answering wouldn't say "I dunno" or "I think..." and continue with something random, but would say: "Ever heard about the Furry Writer's Guild? They have an answer for your question."

So, this has to come down to a basic following of a small, but good number of people.
Which is also a plus since I haven't seen too much trolling and such within these forums (the Writer's Bloc definitely, everything else doubtful).
I think the first question is, who will participate in this? Since you don't believe yourself as a positive influence here Panzer, it leaves other writers here with maybe 25 or more people watching them to join. Small, I know, but the writer's community here on FA has been somewhat small (to my knowledge).
Next thing would probably also be advertising on other sites. For example, mentioning the group with the URL in the signature. Being known on those sites would help with circulation over.

panzergulo

canTANKERous individual
So, this has to come down to a basic following of a small, but good number of people.
Which is also a plus since I haven't seen too much trolling and such within these forums (the Writer's Bloc definitely, everything else doubtful).
I think the first question is, who will participate in this? Since you don't believe yourself as a positive influence here Panzer, it leaves other writers here with maybe 25 or more people watching them to join. Small, I know, but the writer's community here on FA has been somewhat small (to my knowledge).
Next thing would probably also be advertising on other sites. For example, mentioning the group with the URL in the signature. Being known on those sites would help with circulation over.

If I am truly interested about this "furry writers' guild" is still unclear. Poetigress had this idea of some kind of organization for more advanced writers, sort of helping people over the gap of "being a good writer" and "being a published writer". If this is what this "furry writers' guild" would become, I would wish them good luck but keep out from it all. (Mind you, in my honest opinion, I couldn't quite see this working, as furry writing community is small as it is, and being exclusive instead of inclusive would make the sub-community really small.) Now, if the idea would be more like "outsourcing FAF's writers' sub-forum's function and expanding from there", I'm definitely in. I'm just saying I wouldn't make a good leader nor good publicity figure.

I have one million and one things in my mind relating to this all, but everything is still so speculative I don't feel like writing too much about anything. I'll chime in again when it becomes clearer if something is going to happen and if it happens what will it be.

Altamont

The Bard of the Beasts
If I am truly interested about this "furry writers' guild" is still unclear. Poetigress had this idea of some kind of organization for more advanced writers, sort of helping people over the gap of "being a good writer" and "being a published writer". If this is what this "furry writers' guild" would become, I would wish them good luck but keep out from it all. (Mind you, in my honest opinion, I couldn't quite see this working, as furry writing community is small as it is, and being exclusive instead of inclusive would make the sub-community really small.) Now, if the idea would be more like "outsourcing FAF's writers' sub-forum's function and expanding from there", I'm definitely in. I'm just saying I wouldn't make a good leader nor good publicity figure.

I agree. If we were to even come up with something as simple as an alternative forum for writers to head to, exclusivity would probably kill our chances ofr growing. We'd want to build a community to nurture as many writers as possible, not to get together every few weeks and shower each other with praise about how much better we are than the peasants at FA. It would defeat the purpose entirely.

That being said, I personally believe an important aspect of the entire idea of this "guild", or whatever one would wish to call it, is the fact that it should be recognized as a legitimate hub for writers to gather and grow as artists; for this to even work there would need to be some method of quality control on what actually is created within the community. If it becomes just another place for people to post 11th-hour yiffy stories, we might as well just stay on FA.

Basically, I think the biggest hurdle that the organizers would have to overcome isn't so much the creation of the community, which can occur naturally and successfully if properly mitigated, but the controlling of the essence of the guild as a place where more serious and aspiring writers wish to go while also making sure that we don't exclude anyone who's work doesn't coincide with our definition of "good".

Scarborough

Cliched & Trite
I agree. If we were to even come up with something as simple as an alternative forum for writers to head to, exclusivity would probably kill our chances ofr growing. We'd want to build a community to nurture as many writers as possible, not to get together every few weeks and shower each other with praise about how much better we are than the peasants at FA. It would defeat the purpose entirely.

That being said, I personally believe an important aspect of the entire idea of this "guild", or whatever one would wish to call it, is the fact that it should be recognized as a legitimate hub for writers to gather and grow as artists; for this to even work there would need to be some method of quality control on what actually is created within the community. If it becomes just another place for people to post 11th-hour yiffy stories, we might as well just stay on FA.

Basically, I think the biggest hurdle that the organizers would have to overcome isn't so much the creation of the community, which can occur naturally and successfully if properly mitigated, but the controlling of the essence of the guild as a place where more serious and aspiring writers wish to go while also making sure that we don't exclude anyone who's work doesn't coincide with our definition of "good".

I think that's going to help, if we're looking for some sort of "mission statement."

As in, how can we improve written art qua written art? Not, how can we improve written art for the sake of pornographic material and more +watches/+favorites.

Last edited: