• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Great Holiday Tree Debate!

Real or Artificial tree!? :)

• Real tree for the win!

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Artificial trees please!

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • I like a potted tree I can plant after the holidays!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The holiday I celebrate doesn't use trees, I decorate with this instead (please comment!)

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other option!

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

MauEvigEternalCat

Proud Feline Warrior
Which do you prefer, the real trees that you go out in the woods and cut down as per old time family traditions, or the store bought artificial trees that can be reused from year to year? Is getting the tree down from the attic, up from the basement or the garage or wherever you store your holiday belongings a beloved tradition, or is the trek through the woods the tradition you prefer?
Which do you think is better for the environment? Does that matter to you?
What about potted trees?
Let me know in the comments, this is a fun discussion and everyone is welcome to participate! (I say holiday tree because I recognize Christmas isn't the only holiday that uses them, far as I know Yule and Winter Solstice do too, but I'd have to do more homework to say for sure).

SundayBest

Just A Horse
Real Tree Team 100%! When I was younger, it was a family tradition to go out and pick out a tree together. My sister and I would get turns each year as to who was allowed to pick it out. The smell of living pine in the house was the epitome of holiday cheer! Sure, clean up was a pain, but it’s not a proper holiday without a real tree, imo. As for environmental impact, it’s like the natural fabric vs artificial debate. A real tree decomposes.

I understand the appeal of artificial and the little scent sticks you can hang in them, but, for me, it’s just not the same. I’ve never heard of using potted trees, haha.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Ah, so you made the thread! :3

I don't know enough about plastic or real trees to know which is better for the environment. That's an interesting question.

Incidentally I only found out that some people go into the woods and cut down their own tree a few years ago. In a densely populated country like mine, you'd get in trouble for doing that because the tree would probably be growing on land that belong to somebody and they might not take too kindly to having their trees pinched. ;D

MauEvigEternalCat

Proud Feline Warrior
Real Tree Team 100%! When I was younger, it was a family tradition to go out and pick out a tree together. My sister and I would get turns each year as to who was allowed to pick it out. The smell of living pine in the house was the epitome of holiday cheer! Sure, clean up was a pain, but it’s not a proper holiday without a real tree, imo. As for environmental impact, it’s like the natural fabric vs artificial debate. A real tree decomposes.

I understand the appeal of artificial and the little scent sticks you can hang in them, but, for me, it’s just not the same. I’ve never heard of using potted trees, haha.

I think the potted tree thing is something new. They have this cute little potted pine tree at work. The idea is you can plant it after the holidays in your yard, or see if you can find a park that allows you to plant it to give it a new lease on life. It's kind of a "best of both worlds" deal.
I have the artificial, but I can definitely see your point. I never realized how real trees could actually benefit the environment. I suppose the more you know right? Are they good with pets?
When I lived with my mom and step dad they did for a while get a real tree at my step dad's mom's house where she grew them. But after a while they ended up getting artificial. So I've had the experience. It does give a nice ambiance in the home for the holidays.
I'm not sure honestly if there's a right or wrong answer though.

MauEvigEternalCat

Proud Feline Warrior
Ah, so you made the thread! :3

I don't know enough about plastic or real trees to know which is better for the environment. That's an interesting question.

Incidentally I only found out that some people go into the woods and cut down their own tree a few years ago. In a densely populated country like mine, you'd get in trouble for doing that because the tree would probably be growing on land that belong to somebody and they might not take too kindly to having their trees pinched. ;D

I did! :) But your thread got me thinking about it so thank you for that.
I'm not sure either myself though. I did ask my college professor though in biology on Facebook. He's an active environmentalist so he might have some answers. I'll let you all know what he says when he replies (if he does, he's a busy guy. He's currently enjoying retirement now.)
I can understand that. We live in the country, but a lot of people have private properties around here and I'm not sure what is public and what is private. The land surrounding us used to be public property until a few years ago when some wealthy guys bought it.

SundayBest

Just A Horse
I think the potted tree thing is something new. They have this cute little potted pine tree at work. The idea is you can plant it after the holidays in your yard, or see if you can find a park that allows you to plant it to give it a new lease on life. It's kind of a "best of both worlds" deal.
I have the artificial, but I can definitely see your point. I never realized how real trees could actually benefit the environment. I suppose the more you know right? Are they good with pets?
When I lived with my mom and step dad they did for a while get a real tree at my step dad's mom's house where she grew them. But after a while they ended up getting artificial. So I've had the experience. It does give a nice ambiance in the home for the holidays.
I'm not sure honestly if there's a right or wrong answer though.

Honestly, I kind of love the potted tree idea? It sounds so sweet!

I always grew up with dogs and cats in the house and they never messed with the real trees. That may be a disposition thing, though. I adopted my first cat this year and she’s a goblin, so we’ll see how that goes.

I agree with you that there isn’t really a right or wrong answer. Artificial is more cost-effective and practical. Real is possibly better for the environment. Either way every few years you’ll accidentally hit the tree and a keepsake ornament is going to get smashed instead of the many plastic balls!

MauEvigEternalCat

Proud Feline Warrior
Honestly, I kind of love the potted tree idea? It sounds so sweet!

I always grew up with dogs and cats in the house and they never messed with the real trees. That may be a disposition thing, though. I adopted my first cat this year and she’s a goblin, so we’ll see how that goes.

I agree with you that there isn’t really a right or wrong answer. Artificial is more cost-effective and practical. Real is possibly better for the environment. Either way every few years you’ll accidentally hit the tree and a keepsake ornament is going to get smashed instead of the many plastic balls!

It really does doesn't it? Maybe one day I could do that. Then maybe plant it when it gets warmer out.

Yeah that is true either way! Well, our cat absolutely demolished the one I got at big lots up north so we ended up getting a new one anyway. It'll be in the middle of summer, we'll be cleaning and find a random ornament under the couch.

It's true though. I guess it's all about what's right for you and your family. And furry family members too! Good luck with your newly adopted kitty though, hopefully she won't make too big a mess. I know they get excited when I get the garland out and they think ouuu shiny toys just for me! lol

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
I'm lazy. Fake trees are easy to set up, easy to put away and I don't have to vacuum up pine needles the rest of the year.

dragon-in-sight

mane diva
In past years when I still head a family to celebrate with, we always had a real tree that we decorated together. It was one of our holiday rituals and traditions. But since everyone died I don't celebrate such a christmas anymore. Instead I clelebrate the Winter solstice with some good friends on the 21. Dez. Everyone brings something selfcooked to the table, and after that we do a little ritual to celebrate the return of the new light. Instead of a tree we use arrangements made of holly, it's a symbol of vitality and abundance since holly leafs stay green even during winter. On the 24.-26. I spent my time alone hoping for some sere days without further calamities.

MauEvigEternalCat

Proud Feline Warrior
To comment on the Christmas cactus thing, I know some people around here who have them. But I didn't think about hotter climates. I don't think pine trees would be overly practical in places like Florida or out west or places like Mexico. (I'm from the US, just in case you all were wondering).
The holly leaves tradition sounds fascinating. I'm sorry to hear about your family though, dragon. But the solstice celebration sounds like fun.
One of my friends on FB, an old high school friend of mine likes to cut a cutting off her tree then burns it after the new year to thank nature and her gods and godesses for its gift for the year. She then take the ashes to plant the new tree cutting so it can grow a new tree for future use. I'm assuming she's pagan, but I can definitely agree with her profound respect for nature.

Perhaps I should add to the poll something like...what alternatives for trees do you have for hotter climates? Pine trees do well in colder climates, but when you get further South and into desert and jungle regions...maybe not so much.

I wonder if you could decorate a palm tree? I think I've seen some rather amusing decorations with a decorated palm tree and Santa on "summer vacation."

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
I prefer the smell and feel of a "real" tree, but they're a pain in the butt to keep if they get really dry or sappy. Or, if the trunk has a bend in it.

So, I cheat and have a fake tree.

Not a big Christmas person to start with, but I decorate just to give the house a change.

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
While a real tree smells good in the house, I remember having a pink aluminum tree when I was a kid. My mom loved that tree. Anyone out there have a pink one? I've got a silver one, but I'm trying to find a pink one like when I was a kid. We lost it in a move.

MauEvigEternalCat

Proud Feline Warrior
While a real tree smells good in the house, I remember having a pink aluminum tree when I was a kid. My mom loved that tree. Anyone out there have a pink one? I've got a silver one, but I'm trying to find a pink one like when I was a kid. We lost it in a move.

Something like this, Keefur?

That was on the Kohl's website in a google search. You can also try ebay, or perhaps a thrift store or antique store might have them.

I've seen pink Christmas trees and other color assortments around. We do have a small blue one in the dining room as well. Now the aluminum ones from the '60's go for a pretty penny on ebay, you know the ones with the color wheels? But I'm not 100% sure what you're looking for.

We got our big tree out today:

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!

That was on the Kohl's website in a google search. You can also try ebay, or perhaps a thrift store or antique store might have them.

I've seen pink Christmas trees and other color assortments around. We do have a small blue one in the dining room as well. Now the aluminum ones from the '60's go for a pretty penny on ebay, you know the ones with the color wheels? But I'm not 100% sure what you're looking for.
I'm sorry, but this is all I could think of

MauEvigEternalCat

Proud Feline Warrior
I'm sorry, but this is all I could think of

Lol Well, considering the first time I'd ever seen the Charlie Brown Christmas Special was probably in the 90's when I was growing up I kind of thought the idea of a colorful tree seemed pretty cool. But I also know that wasn't the point they were trying to make in the story.
And yes, a lot of those aluminum trees came from the same time frame as the famous Charlie Brown Christmas, and quickly fell out of style afterwards.
I reckon they're making a come back though because they're "retro" and "retro" is in.

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat

We got our big tree out today:

I'm talking about a vintage tree. The one you show is really, really over the top pink.

MauEvigEternalCat

Proud Feline Warrior
I'm talking about a vintage tree. The one you show is really, really over the top pink.

Ah ok. Thanks for the example. I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I find anything. Just the silver ones, the cheapest I've found for a full sized tree (not counting the little table top ones) run close to $200 on ebay. Finding a pink one is bound to be an expensive gem. But I'll keep an eye out and let you know what I find. :) On occasion we visit antique stores, thrift shops and such, so the next time we go shopping at those places I'll keep an eye out. Sometimes even yard sales might have them during the summer and during the festivals. I've found some great finds just going to venders and yard sale shopping, and sometimes local thrift venders have some good gems as well. I'm hopefully going up north this summer (plans have changed due to my car situation) so I can certainly let you know if I happen to see anything up there as well.