• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Height Thread

What is your height?

• Total voters

Inciatus

In the land of bipolar weather

Night-san

5'5 1/2". Something like that. I haven't measured my height very recently.

Kitutal

cute newbie kitten
Rakuen refused to calculate his measurements

Although anyone with a name like Growlithe is going to be secretly tiny.

Besides which, metric doesn't work, the imperial measuerement system was designed around the size and shape of the human body, things measured in it fit neatly with people because of this, metric was just picked out at random someone just went:
"We're going to make a new measurement system."
"OK, how big should the basic distance be?"
*holds out hands*
"Oh, about this big, looks a nice distance, don't you think?"
(except in French, of course)

General-jwj

Prime Minister of Belgium

Besides which, metric doesn't work, the imperial measuerement system was designed around the size and shape of the human body, things measured in it fit neatly with people because of this, metric was just picked out at random someone just went:
"We're going to make a new measurement system."
"OK, how big should the basic distance be?"
*holds out hands*
"Oh, about this big, looks a nice distance, don't you think?"
(except in French, of course)

The meter was originally defined by one-ten-millionth of the distance between the Equator and the North Pole. This distance being chosen because it was still easily relatable to human scales of size and relatively constant (Earth's shape and size modifying istelf by infinitesimal amounts over geological periods of time).
It's now defined by the distance travelled by light in a vacuum during an infinitesimal amount of time. The speed of light in vacuum being pretty much the ultimate constant in the Universe, and atomic clocks being able to measure time to ludicrously tiny amounts of time, this definition is particularly effective.

Where does the foot come from ? Measuring the King's feet or something ?
Scientific rigour, ladies and gentlemen.

Aidy

they call me yolo swaggins
I dunno my height exactly but I'm like, 6'3 or something.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
It's now defined by the distance travelled by light in a vacuum during an infinitesimal amount of time. The speed of light in vacuum being pretty much the ultimate constant in the Universe, and atomic clocks being able to measure time to ludicrously tiny amounts of time, this definition is particularly effective.

Where does the foot come from ? Measuring the King's feet or something ?
Scientific rigour, ladies and gentlemen.

Almost, almost. The metre is now actually defined as 'the distance light travels in (1/c)s'.

The great thing is, though, that, by relativity, the distance of 'one metre' relative to you changes according to your own velocity! Fun times.

Rakuen Growlithe

Banned
Banned
Kitutal said:

I'm not tiny. >.> I'm pretty sure I wound up average for FAF. There was another height thread at some point that I think I did properly.

Kitutal

cute newbie kitten
Almost, almost. The metre is now actually defined as 'the distance light travels in (1/c)s'.

Doesn't that mean a metre is now the distance light travels in the time it takes light to travel a metre?
And don't forget, a metre is ten times the width of a cube containing one litre, which is the amount of water needed to weigh one kilo, which is the weight that can be lifted one metre with the application of one kilonewton and one kilojoule (or something like that), and so on for ever... and why have they suddenly jumped up by a thousand half way through? makes no sense on any level.

Anyways, still a random distance, you can't even see the size of the earth, so why would it's precise width be relevant to measuring someone's height? Whereas feet and inches and chains and quarts and bovates are all distances with some relation to stuff people can actually see and understand, makes them more confortable to work with.
And they're easier to round up for rough measurements. I could call my height 5'8 or one hundred seventy four centimetres. Besides, people here understand 5'8 relative to their own height, it's what we're used to, can't just suddenly change everything, noone would have a clue how big anything was for quite some time afterwards.

Last edited:

jcfynx

Banned
Banned
160cm. Everyone seems so tall.

I am not translating that into your imperialist numbers. Learn metric.

Last edited:

Rakuen Growlithe

Banned
Banned
Kitutal said:
Anyways, still a random distance, you can't even see the size of the earth, so why would it's precise width be relevant to measuring someone's height? Whereas feet and inches and chains and quarts and bovates are all distances with some relation to stuff people can actually see and understand, makes them more confortable to work with.
And they're easier to round up for rough measurements. I could call my height 5'8 or one hundred seventy four centimetres. Besides, people here understand 5'8 relative to their own height, it's what we're used to, can't just suddenly change everything, noone would have a clue how big anything was for quite some time afterwards.

Feet, inches etc are also random distances... Using the Earth was no doubt a way to standardise the measurement so that it was the same for everyone, now SI units are internationally accepted and carefully defined. Feet, inches etc were never properly defined and varied over time and between countries, making them completely unsuitable for science. As for what their origins were, you're just making stuff up. Most people won't even know where a metre comes from and it's certainly not going to make them uncomfortable.
Are you seriously saying people using metric struggle to round off measurements? You can change, it's happened many times and people get used to it. It's really not a good reason to put off moving to a strictly defined and internationally accepted group of measurements.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
Doesn't that mean a metre is now the distance light travels in the time it takes light to travel a metre?
And don't forget, a metre is ten times the width of a cube containing one litre, which is the amount of water needed to weigh one kilo, which is the weight that can be lifted one metre with the application of one kilonewton and one kilojoule (or something like that), and so on for ever... and why have they suddenly jumped up by a thousand half way through? makes no sense on any level.

Yes, that's right. It's the beauty of the metric system that every measurement can be defined in every other measurement. <3 The thing is that they needed a way to escape the abitrariness of Imperial units - and so, they were based on the only physical constant, the speed of light.

1m = distance travelled by light in 1/(299,728,something) seconds

The only way you can explain an imperial unit to someone is to use a metric unit. You can say an inch is this big and pinch your fingers or something, but in the end, the subjectivity of the imperial unit just makes it harder to use.

Kitutal

cute newbie kitten
The only way you can explain an imperial unit to someone is to use a metric unit. You can say an inch is this big and pinch your fingers or something, but in the end, the subjectivity of the imperial unit just makes it harder to use.

Or you could look on a ruler, they do come with inches and feet, too. How would you show someone how big a metric unit is, then?

Personally I like using both systems, always have done. They both have their different uses and it isn't that hard to convert between them if you learn how.

Last edited:

Inciatus

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
Or you could look on a ruler, they do come with inches and feet, too. How would you show someone how big a metric unit is, then?

Personally I like using both systems, always have done. They both have their different uses and it isn't that hard to convert between them if you learn how.

It's very true that you can convert between them easily, but the Metric system is the only system with which you can say has a definition.

"How long is an inch?"
"Well, it's one inch long."

"How long is a metre?"
"Well, it's the width of a cube filled with 1,000,000cc of water."
"It's the distance light travels in about one 300,000,000th of a second"
"It's the distance that a one kilogram weight would rise if..."

Both systems are fine, it's just that metric is less abitrary.

Inciatus

It's very true that you can convert between them easily, but the Metric system is the only system with which you can say has a definition.

"How long is an inch?"
"Well, it's one inch long."

"How long is a metre?"
"Well, it's the width of a cube filled with 1,000,000cc of water."
"It's the distance light travels in about one 300,000,000th of a second"
"It's the distance that a one kilogram weight would rise if..."

Both systems are fine, it's just that metric is less abitrary.

We can do that to with much more annoying numbers.

An inch is the length of a side of a cube filled with 0.00432900433 gallons.

Kitutal

cute newbie kitten
Imperial is less arbitrary as well, it's distances that relate to people. A good step is 6 inches high, a decent room 8 feet to the ceiling, or sometimes 10, door frames are measured at a yard across as standard, and toilet cubicles are 6 feet deep, whole building sizes are often calculated in yards just because all the distances match up like that. And yet, us architects then translate everything into millimetres. Fun.

Cain

Guess what mood I'm in today.
Feet, inches etc are also random distances... Using the Earth was no doubt a way to standardise the measurement so that it was the same for everyone, now SI units are internationally accepted and carefully defined. Feet, inches etc were never properly defined and varied over time and between countries, making them completely unsuitable for science. As for what their origins were, you're just making stuff up. Most people won't even know where a metre comes from and it's certainly not going to make them uncomfortable.
Are you seriously saying people using metric struggle to round off measurements? You can change, it's happened many times and people get used to it. It's really not a good reason to put off moving to a strictly defined and internationally accepted group of measurements.
We're not using imperial in this thread to be scientific, it's to tell your GODDAMN HEIGHT!

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
My girlfriend is 4' 11" ... if I got her to post around here she'd be the shortest of everyone who's (seriously) polled. :0