• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of rhe Wild

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I recently got a Switch with this being the first game I bought for it! And I was basically wondering for those of you who have played it, what are your thoughts on it? I just beat it so I'm curious.

As for myself, it's now my second favorite Zelda behind only Twilight Princess. I adored the game and hadn't been this enamored by a game since Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon a couple years ago. It's so relaxing! Overall, to put my thoughts succinctly:

Pros:
  • Huge world full of content
    • There was so much to do in this game! No matter where you are there is something to collect or fight or a puzzle to solve. Lots of interesting terrain with unique secrets to uncover.
  • Quiet atmosphere
    • I initially thought I'd hate the lack of music but after actually playing my opinion pulled awfully 180. Taking in the beauty and sounds of the environments made the game relaxing and peaceful to play, and when music DID play it was always pretty and stood out more. Ganons Castle music in particular was incredible.
  • Gorgeous graphics
    • The game is pretty. I still prefer Twilight Princess's look but this style was brilliant.
  • Some challenging puzzles
    • Between some of the weirder shrines, the Korok puzzles, and the entirety of the Lost Woods, the puzzles in this game were sometimes impressive. Some shrines had my head scratching, and it feels rewarding to find something unusual in the environment and determine what to do on your own to uncover a secret.
  • Hardest 3D Zelda
    • I actually had trouble with some of the boss fights. Sometimes fighting and winning against enemies took thoughtful strategy.
Cons:
  • Climbing is boring
    • Fuck climbing mountains.
  • No real dungeons
    • Shrines while sometimes interesting were oftentimes quick short tedium and the closest things to dungeons, the Divine Beasts, we're too short. Plus there were only four. I miss the meaty hour long dungeons of previous Zeldas.
  • Less precise and less complex combat
    • In previous Zeldas, you could control whether you did a horizontal slice, a vertical slice, or a thrust with your swords. While relatively unimportant in most instances, it's something I missed. That level of control made you feel more in control of Link. Plus the games could have actually utilized that control and made the game encourage using one type of attack versus another. I also miss the sword skills like Shield Attack, Mortal Draw, and Helm Splitter.
  • The voice acting is bad
    • The fake British acting, especially from Zelda and Mipha, is terrible
  • Voice acting exists at all
    • Bring back the charming gibberish and Twili Speak. Actual language in these games sound weird.
Overall I thought the game was great but I wouldn't want future Zelda games to mimic this formula. What about you guys?

Mikazuki Marazhu

I hate you all
Played it, loved it.
One thing I like about it is the amount of things to do on it yet it's all optional... ALL OF IT.

If you want to run straight to ganon for the final boss you can

Rant

Haters Gonna Hate
I love the hell out of it! But yeah fuck climbing.

I spent many hours perfecting flying minecarts. I wish you could actually land on the dragons without damage and just fly around with them for a bit.

If you need another lil puzzle game might I suggest Rime? It's very beautiful and peaceful as well and no voice acting at all!

Also, Minecraft runs well on the switch, I've never had such a successful world in one before, I've only played for maybe 2,3 days and already have a shit ton of iron, gold and sooooo many Daimonds!!!! But seeing as I have all the texture packs on PS4 I'd like to be able to just transfer them over without buying them again.

Stratelier

I found it hard to go back to previous Zelda games, like Twilight Princess, after Breath of the Wild. The ability to climb on anything, anywhere, at any time is a real game-changer compared to the "traditional" (i.e. Ocarina-based) Zelda formula. Sure, there may not be a Hookshot analogue in this game, but between climbing and paragliding (and especially Revali's Gale!) I never found any situation where I missed having it.

My biggest like is simply the setting. There's the sheer geographic scope of it, that somehow manages to not be boring all over and have reasonable differences in climate from one area to the next. Vast snowy cold mountains in the northwest, a huge volcano in the northeast (surrounded by barren, almost desert, terrain), several immediately distinct types of field and forest (including the rainy tropical woods in the south), a lovely bay and lots of beachfront along the southeastern half, a hot canyon and cold highlands bracing a vast desert in the southwest. Every area has a distinct dominant color theme.

It also has the most developed presence of Hyrulean races in it, and while NPC variety may be (necessarily) a little thin, this is the first time we've seen so many Zora, Goron, and Rito children. And I particularly love the Rito's new birdy design. I always liked the Rito to begin with (mainly because I didn't particularly like the Gorons, Gerudo, or Zoras established in Ocarina), but Breath of the Wild made it that much better. In fact, when they were first revealed at all -- that two-second shot of Revali from the January trailer -- I was like "WAS THAT A RITO!? Shut off the Internet, I refuse to watch any more coverage until I play it myself."

As far as quest design goes ... well, it's definitely no Skyrim, and outside of the Main Quest there really aren't any "questlines" that form independent linear narratives. There's maybe one major 'questline' of this kind (the development of Tarrey Town) but it is officially only two quests long.

The visuals of the game are amazing. Half of this is literally due to the cel-shaded lighting (seriously, there's a glitch where you can see Link without the cel-shading on, and without it his character model actually looks bland and generic), but Nintendo knew what they were chasing for the visuals and they NAILED it.

I also agree, the minimalistic, piano-based soundtrack while exploring Hyrule takes a little time to get used to but it's ultimately a strong point. You can only play a game so long before you have every song memorized, and after the 100-hour mark it actually gets a bit tiring to be constantly hearing the same BGM over and over and over and over and over and over again (textbook example: Skyrim). This goes double if you happen to not like the particular songs in question -- my major complaint about Ocarina's soundtrack is I just didn't like the themes used for (1) Hyrule Field, (2) enemy combat, (3) midbosses, (4) all bosses outside of Death Mountain. They weren't bad themes, but I just didn't like them so the repetition set in SUPER quick. (Majora's Mask, meanwhile, did all four themes so much better it's not even funny.)

Weapon durability does take a while to get used to, and I would have enjoyed seeing some way to repair a rare weapon so you don't have to hunt it down again. Unfortunately, I agree that this would change the flavor of the game when it comes to assessing a combat situation, and it's easy enough to acquire at least a decent replacement weapon or explore your options outside of them (bombs, etc.).

Combat itself is a little limited with basically only one attack combo per weapon type, but there's genuine variety to the melee weapons (unlike, notably, Skyrim). Two-handed weapons knock away shields; spears outrange direct frontal assaults. Don't forget the insanely strong Guardian Lasers and the miniboss-tier Lynels. Those are enemies and attacks to be feared and for good reason. (I particularly loved how the Forgotten Temple was just plain overrun with Guardians. Lasers everywhere! Truly an unforgettable experience.)

The cooking system is mostly good. The one flaw is you don't have any kind of permanent "recipe log" to look up (and quickly re-create) specific food items; you can only look up the recipe for food items currently in your inventory. Otherwise, I love it. It's fun to experiment (the "Dubious Dish" sprite is particularly hilarious) and the fact that this is basically your ONLY source of recovery hearts forces you to take it seriously.

I like how for the shrine puzzles, the devs were willing to concede that ANY solution which works is a valid solution. Probably the biggest example of this is one of those gyro-puzzles where you had to maneuver a ball through a maze -- or, if that proved too difficult, just flip the platform upside down and roll it along the flat backside, avoiding the maze entirely.

Last edited:

Judge Spear

Snore of the Wild
I give it two thumbs down. Almost makes Skyward Sword look good...almost.

Last edited:

Judge Spear

Care to explain the details? Or do you just want to go back to the tired-and-true Ocarina formula?

Damn, strike a nerve? I don't like walking sims with nothing to do. I want Zelda. Not a bad FarCry.
600 korok seeds. All memory quests. Max stamina. All "dungeons". Master Sword. Dark Link suit...before I'm told I didn't play the game enough.

Niedlich the Folf

Cute Folf.
Probably the biggest example of this is one of those gyro-puzzles where you had to maneuver a ball through a maze -- or, if that proved too difficult, just flip the platform upside down and roll it along the flat backside, avoiding the maze entirely.
Glad to know that I'm not the only one who did that x3

brawlingcastform

High Functioning Autism
Damn, strike a nerve? I don't like walking sims with nothing to do. I want Zelda. Not a bad FarCry.
600 korok seeds. All memory quests. Max stamina. All "dungeons". Master Sword. Dark Link suit...before I'm told I didn't play the game enough.
Then sell the game if you are done with it. Or better yet, give it to someone who wants a copy.

Judge Spear

Then sell the game if you are done with it. Or better yet, give it to someone who wants a copy.

Good thing I never bought it. lol
My friend let me borrow it for a week since he has hand problems and couldn't play it. :c
I'd honestly probably would not have put in the time I did on that game if I DID actually give $60 for it.