• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Masked Singer

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
I am not sure what people's opinions are of this weird show, but it can arguably be stretched out as furry, though I doubt any of the people participating on the show we're actually furries, so I'm wondering if anyone watched it. It's basically this reality show where famous singers and actors dress up in ridiculous costumes and singing in a competition. Part of me actually kind of like watching it because of the costumes.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
My favorite new guilty pleasure. Loved it. Stupid, stupid fun. If I do say so myself, I did an incredible job playing Internet detective and figuring out who people were.

Donny Osmond, Tori Spelling, Joey Fatone, Margaret Cho, and T-Pain are absolutely furries now. Especially Tori Spelling.

Starbeak

Born in Space, endlessly exploring star-systems
:)

I missed the first episode and when I was going to watch it, the preview for the second one spoiled who the masked singer was from the first one via commercial so I decided against watching the series.

If it didn't spoil the previous winner, it would have been something I would have interested in watching. Oh well. Maybe next season I will try not to miss the first episode (If it makes it lol).

:)

Baalf

I know it's kind of odd that I am Reviving this thread for season 3, but I didn't revive it for season 2. Maybe that's because I didn't have much to say about season 2. Not that it was a bad season, in back I thought it was actually quite good. I didn't get to see all the episodes, but they did have some pretty strong singers. Kind of disappointed that the tree didn't make it farther than she did, since she was actually my favorite singer out of the group.

Anyway, I just watched the first episode of season 3, and is it just me, or were the performances in the first episode... Kind of weak? There were three performances that were decent, but didn't feel like they were up to the same caliber as previous seasons, with the other three acts being duds. It also strikes me as odd that they decided to do it season 3 only a month after season 2. It felt like there was a much bigger preparation Between the first and second season, so this strikes me as odd. maybe some of the other 12 singers will be better, so I'll keep my eye on the show if that ends up being true, but I still feel like stating my true feelings about the first episode..

Troj

I find it ironic that the Drew Carey show poked fun at furries back in the day, and he struck me as really enjoying himself as the Llama :D.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
I am not sure what people's opinions are of this weird show, but it can arguably be stretched out as furry, though I doubt any of the people participating on the show we're actually furries, so I'm wondering if anyone watched it. It's basically this reality show where famous singers and actors dress up in ridiculous costumes and singing in a competition. Part of me actually kind of like watching it because of the costumes.

I saw parts of it...while basically a forum for celebrities to show off to each other and have fun (which is fine, it's all fluff and crowd-controlled reactions), it's surreal to me to see for example a serious heartfelt song being taken in by everyone...coming from a googly-eyed kangaroo! It's like for that moment people forgot "Wait a second...this is crazy!" <giggle>

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
It seems like a cool idea, and I did catch a few episodes; noted it is based on a Korean show, of the same name.

My main 'trouble' with the show is that I'm out of touch with about 90% or more of the celebrities they are trying to guess...and so I have no idea who the people are, under the masks/costumes, most of the time. But this is more just me, and not really following Hollywood, and popular stars very much. I feel like I might do better if all the stars were from the 70s-80s :p

But the idea seems fun.

Ravofox

Aussie foxy
Since last year there's an Australian version too!

I had to pretend I wasn't interested every time an ad for it came on, because my dad doesn't approve XD Although, I did have the courage to say I thought the costumes looked pretty neat:D

Baalf

I find it ironic that the Drew Carey show poked fun at furries back in the day, and he struck me as really enjoying himself as the Llama :D.

I'm going to assume I'm glad I never saw that up or so, and I used to watch his show a lot.

Also, does anyone else think the white tiger is completely awful?

Troj

White Tiger (whom I believe is Rob Gronkowski) is my favorite fursuit so far, and should never sing, rap, or dance. :D

I am getting really, really sick of Ken Jeong and Jenny McCarthy. I already have a serious grudge against McCarthy, and I feel both of them are "on something" when they go on the show, because they talk and joke constantly and pointlessly.

Jamie Foxx's humorous comments were genuinely humorous.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
The sponsor introduction has fursuiters in it. So furries are deffo involved at some point.

Troj

There are separate versions for every single country the show airs in. My understanding is that each show has its own costume designer, too.

Fallowfox

There are separate versions for every single country the show airs in. My understanding is that each show has its own costume designer, too.

Ah okay. This means there are lots of costumes any individual country doesn't see then.

Alopecoid

Every time I see a commercial for the show, I wanna watch it, but still haven't. It does look like fun, plus reminds me of fursuiters, so maybe I'll finally give it a whirl tonite.

Baalf

If you wish to comment to this particular post, please put your comment in spoilers.

Do you guys know that white tiger I keep complaining about? It looks like some guy has leaked all the results on YouTube. Now, I have only seen two of his videos pop-up, but one of them was the white tiger, and apparently these videos have all of the performances and the reveal of each of these people. Do you want to know how long the white tigers video was? SIXTEEN MINUTES! Maybe that also includes clue packages and interviews, but if it is just performances and the reveal, then this suggest that the white tiger completely out stays his welcome. There is even the shuddersome thought that he might actually have won the damn thing, although this is considering I didn't see any of the other spoiler videos pop up in my search engine... Except one.

...The Turtle.

Now, I've only seen group A preform so far, but most people are in an agreement that the turtle is the best singer in group a, with the kangaroo being the only other good singer in the bunch. I've heard his work. He's pretty good. I wouldn't say he is season 2 good, but he is definitely one of the better singers in group a. Do you want to know how long his video was? TEN MINUTES! That is right. The length of these two videos suggest that an awful singer makes it farther then one of the best singers in group a.

Now make way for the conspiracy theories.

This is making me beg the question. Are the producers trying to make this season bomb? I would not put it past them. The fact that they aired this season so quickly after the second season shows me that the executives have dollar signs in their eyes, and I would not be surprised if the producers were feeling bullied into doing the season so quickly, so it's possible they might want this season to tank by making one of their worst singers make it far in the competition so they don't have to do more of them.

The other shuddersome thought I had in mind is that they are being bribed by the New England Patriots. One of the most hated football teams in the NFL, they are also the richest. They have also been known to cheat in one match. The most popular guess for who the white tiger is is Dan Gronkowski, New England Patriots football player, and the clues do line up. Let's also not forget that this season aired right after the Super Bowl, and it also aired after one of the few Super Bowls the New England Patriots were absent from. Perhaps it's a bitter team trying to get something out of their life?

So what is this? A man cheating his way through the competition, or developers crying for help. Either way, I can't help but call The Almighty shenanigans on the white tiger being able to produce 16 minutes worth of footage in the season.

Last edited:

Baalf

Here is some spoiler-free recap of what I thought about episode three.

The turtle was very good as usual. Missmonster was, meh, average as usual. The kangaroo was kind of disappointing compared to her previous performances. The white tiger, my God, just when I thought he couldn't get worse. But, surely, his rendition of We Will Rock You is going to be his worst performance in his life. I am hoping, no matter where we see this guy next, whether it be at the Superbowl or at the local bar or whatever, that he will never have a singing performance as bad as that.

Also, disregard what I said about spoiler videos. I looked up the one for white tiger, and it was nothing more than a prediction video.

Baalf

Okay, Group B was a big Improvement over the first group IMO, but then again, Gronk set the bar pretty low..

Wodenofthegays

Fascist Dictator
Kind of lost interest in the show because these kind of shows don't last long, are rigged, and I don't know most of the people that pop up, BUT

I religiously started following the Unicorn from the UK version when a friend said it sounded like an artist I liked. Turns out they were right lol. Jake Shears made that worth keeping up with just because its funny watching people just not know the voice or get any of the clues.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
I like the show, just to watch the performances and see the costumes. Half the time I don't know who some of the people are, anyway.

The first season in the USA was pretty good. However, I really think they sort of "rig" it to promote certain performers who aren't necessarily the best.

Last season, I thought Thingamajig lasted way too long. This season, the White Tiger is terrible and needed to go home.

The songs just aren't as good now, I don't think. Flamingo had some good ones last year, Rottweiler and Fox did also. But I really haven't heard anything this season that caught my attention.

Kosmo Kittypup

Goodest Space Boy
The sponsor introduction has fursuiters in it. So furries are deffo involved at some point.

they even chose to borrow the suits from a fursuit maker with a ton of controversy behind them, too. really in the spirit of things lol

Fallowfox

they even chose to borrow the suits from a fursuit maker with a ton of controversy behind them, too. really in the spirit of things lol

I assumed they were just costumes that happened to look like fursuits. Didn't realise it was a real furry who made them.

Kosmo Kittypup

Goodest Space Boy
I assumed they were just costumes that happened to look like fursuits. Didn't realise it was a real furry who made them.
yeah, they're real actual fursuits! but from a maker that put metal bits and stuff in their fursuit heads among other not great things. oopsie.

Baalf

I like the show, just to watch the performances and see the costumes. Half the time I don't know who some of the people are, anyway.

The first season in the USA was pretty good. However, I really think they sort of "rig" it to promote certain performers who aren't necessarily the best.

Last season, I thought Thingamajig lasted way too long. This season, the White Tiger is terrible and needed to go home.

The songs just aren't as good now, I don't think. Flamingo had some good ones last year, Rottweiler and Fox did also. But I really haven't heard anything this season that caught my attention.

I don't blame you. I do not think the singer is this season have been up to the same caliber as the first two. I think that's because they tried to do a third season way too early, and they just got any famous guy with a pulse instead of waiting for more good ones.

And yet, there is something fascinating about the season. I don't know why. The next episode is going to be on tonight, so I'm probably not going to be able to watch it until tomorrow since I have to watch it on YouTube.

Also, here is a mr. Enter Parody of how I feel about the white tiger.

It seems like just yesterday that the white tiger made it past the first round and enraged many of the viewers. By far, the most common defense I've seen for him is that the white tiger is an Entertainer, and that he is really good at firing up the crowd with his dance moves. No! White tiger does not get that excuse. Whether it's mediocre rapping like the first song, horrible rapping like the second song, or a cringe-worthy butchering of a famous Queen song, no! If those are meant-to-be performances, then it's 2 minutes each of an idiot acting like he's drunk. If those are meant to be performances, then no one deserves to defend him. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and take him at face value as the show's troll. If he is meant to be a performer, like many people claim he is, then it is far, far worse!

And on that note, he is one of the worst singers I've ever heard on a serious competition like this, but despite what I just said, I actually don't blame people for thinking that any of his performances Are Meant To Be a Dance Act. It's a problem with his football background. a lot of the clue packages have mentioned that the New England Patriots, with many other Clues all adding up to Rob Gronkowski. Because he is associated with one of the richest, most hated and suspicious football teams in the NFL oh, some of his credibility is lost. And that is one of two reasons why I don't think Gronk should EVER be allowed to sing on a competition like The Masked Singer. The other reason? HE IS FUCKING AWFUL AT IT!!! Every performance he has done has been an abject failure!

Give him credit for trying? No! That is like giving credit to a chef for getting out of his seat in a commercial airliner, hijacking the plane and crashing it because he wanted to be an air hero! Nobody was asking Gronk to do this. Nobody wanted Gronk to do this. Everyone but the producers, apparently, I knew that this was beyond his range. No one Praises civilians for jumping in front of a police line during a hostage situation. Before I go completely spastic, let's End the review here.

Baalf

yeah, they're real actual fursuits! but from a maker that put metal bits and stuff in their fursuit heads among other not great things. oopsie.

I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with adding metal, aside from it making the head heavier. On the other hand, it arguably makes the structures stronger oh, and if you use a light enough metal it shouldn't be too bad.