• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Most Epic Metal Song

DavidN

Member
Iron Maiden's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" will always be fairly near the top of my list because it was one of the first ten-minute-plus songs that I ever heard, and it's a surprisingly good account of the storyline (though does have quite a long section in the middle where nothing much happens).

I know I keep mentioning them, but Heavenly is a band that have the over-the-top epic sound perfected - http://www.heavenly.fr/index.php - listen to the second half of the sample of "Liberty"!

And The Final Countdown's fantastic, I don't care what other people with their "good taste" say. :)
 
DavidN said:
Iron Maiden's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" will always be fairly near the top of my list because it was one of the first ten-minute-plus songs that I ever heard, and it's a surprisingly good account of the storyline (though does have quite a long section in the middle where nothing much happens).

I know I keep mentioning them, but Heavenly is a band that have the over-the-top epic sound perfected - http://www.heavenly.fr/index.php - listen to the second half of the sample of "Liberty"!

And The Final Countdown's fantastic, I don't care what other people with their "good taste" say. :)

The Final Countdown is probably the catchiest epic song ever written XD

And that solo needs some jazzing up, but i'll tell ya, it's got HUGE potential XD

Heavenly huh? *listens* wow...nice ^^
 

snoopfrawgg

New Member
DruoxTheFurrinator said:
DragonForce is a strange band...they're not as epic as they are fast.  Have you ever listen to Symphony X's Odyssey?  Much more epic.  The only problem with epic Power Metal is it kinda gets boring.  DragonForce is no exception, but their speed will always impress me ^^

Yeah, that's true, but I suppose it's because I've got such an active mind that I keep playing out their lyrics in my mind in different fashions. I can't get enough of 'em, myself. And also, no, but I will be soon, heheh.

Also, The Final Countdown roxxors. Forgot to mention that in the first post.

*edit*

Hot damn, Heavenly's pretty darn good too. Gonna hafta look into them a bit more.
 

DavidN

Member
Good suggestion with Blind Guardian, by the way - I'm beginning to get more into them. I haven't heard much of their earlier music, but I'm enjoying the orchestral version of "Lord of the Rings" and "Another Stranger Me". (I swear Hansi Kürsch looks like Jack Black in the video for that. No one else sees it.)
 

wut

Member
And Then There Was Silence by Blind Guardian.
 

Aikon

Member
Most epic song goes to Coma by GN'R in my books.  That song (like some others of GN'R's) was ahead of its time when it came out... it still holds up even today.  

"The Final Countdown" is a great song, I still have the tape I bought back in the early 90's.  I bought when I was on my first date with someone, I think it cursed me though...

"Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is awesome too, though "Fear of the Dark" takes the cake for Iron Maiden.  Or even Aces High.
 

Rhainor

Rawr.
Litre said:
Dragonforce, eh. I rather have melodic guitar playing than just someone shredding through entire songs. Speed metal isn't my thing anymore. It's impressive, I'll give it that.

Dragonforce isn't just speed metal. They don't just play fast; they play fast while hitting specific, highly varied notes *and* staying in time with each other. Add in their lyrics with the amazing (for a Metal singer) vocal range of Z.P. Theart, and you've got some truly epic music.

My specific nominations for this thread have to go to Dragonforce's songs "Valley of the Damned" (title track from their first album), "Dawn Over a New World" (the power ballad from their second album), and "Soldiers of the Wasteland".
 

snoopfrawgg

New Member
Rhainor said:
Litre said:
Dragonforce, eh. I rather have melodic guitar playing than just someone shredding through entire songs. Speed metal isn't my thing anymore. It's impressive, I'll give it that.

Dragonforce isn't just speed metal.  They don't just play fast; they play fast while hitting specific, highly varied notes *and* staying in time with each other.  Add in their lyrics with the amazing (for a Metal singer) vocal range of Z.P. Theart, and you've got some truly epic music.

My specific nominations for this thread have to go to Dragonforce's songs "Valley of the Damned" (title track from their first album), "Dawn Over a New World" (the power ballad from their second album), and "Soldiers of the Wasteland".

Couldn't have said it any better. In fact, I didnt wanna because I knew I'd mess it up somehow. XD

Add "Starfire" and "Through the Fire and Flames", and you have my favorites. Closely followed by "Revolution Deathsquad".

Another song I'd pop in is "Turn the Page" by Metallica, simply for the storyline factor of a trucker's life, from what I gather, heh.
 

Rhainor

Rawr.
snoopfrawgg said:
Couldn't have said it any better. In fact, I didnt wanna because I knew I'd mess it up somehow. XD

{grins} Not quite with these exact same phrases, but I have made this argument before.

snoopfrawgg said:
Add "Starfire" and "Through the Fire and Flames", and you have my favorites. Closely followed by "Revolution Deathsquad".

Eh, I like the opening bit of Starfire, but the rest of it's kinda...meh. "Through the Fire and Flames" is pretty popular, but I prefer "Valley of the Damned", "Heart of a Dragon", and "Revelations" -- just to name a few.
 

Tobias Cray

New Member
My number one favorite epic metal song would have to be Metallica's Nothing Else Matters. A beautiful, vivid experience through the feeling of love, loss and what's left behind.

Some of the others that I really enjoy are:

Iron Maiden's Aces High
Judas Priest's Painkiller
Pantera's Primal Concrete Sledge
Prong's Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck
Slayer's Angel of Death
Megadeth's Almost Honest
Europe's The Final Countdown (Seems everyone likes this song.)

Just to name a few of the top of my head.

Signing out.

The Wolf
 

capthavoc123

Master of Disaster
Everyone will kill me if I say Du Hast, so I won't.

Instead, I'll say Hanger 18 by Megadeth.
 

Cray

Member
capthavoc123 said:
Instead, I'll say Hanger 18 by Megadeth.

I wouldn't call it "epic", but that's one of my favorite songs of all time. Why? I love guitar solos, and this song has nine of them!
 

Aikon

Member
I'm surprised "A Change of Seasons" hasn't made this list yet.
 

DavidN

Member
Someone else in the world has heard of Stratovarius! Fantastic. They seem to have gone a bit mad now, but a lot of their material from a few years ago was great. The album "Infinite" kept a massive epic sound going throughout it.
 

Grimfang

Well-Known Member
Ah, I love Stratovarius! xD!!

They have so much music that should be heard if you're looking for epic songs. But it's true.. I'm waiting to see what else Strato develops, cus I'm afraid their latest album has invoked a bit of a frown from me :
 
Last edited:

Aikon

Member
Grimfang said:
Ah, I love Stratovarius! xD!!

They have so much music that should be heard if you're looking for epic songs. But it's true.. I'm waiting to see what else Strato develops, cus I'm afraid their latest album has invoked a bit of a frown from me :

Strato have a lot of good songs, but also a lot of "eh" songs.  For example "Visions" sounds peculiarly similar to "Father Time" from Episode, for example.  I like the latter, personally, but then Episode was the first Strato album I ever bought.  

Their best work is behind them that's for sure.  They need to nix that damned harpischord.
 

DavidN

Member
I think their weakness is that Timo Tolkki is extremely good at writing fast-paced rock (Hunting High and Low, Freedom) but doesn't realize it and prefers to write slower, more progressive classical-pretentious pieces (Elements, Fantasia) - which he's far less good at and often end up being extremely repetitive.
 
Top