• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Pokemon Thread

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
Well, it finally happened- a linked battle where I was down to one Pokemon and my opponent also had only one. I was about to lose but my Delphox had on a Rocky Helmet which caused my opponent's life meter to go down to zero as mine did too when he attacked physically. This was unforeseen territory for me, since both me and my opponent had no Pokemon left at the end of the match. I thought it meant that I had lost, or that it would be considered a stalemate, but in a baffling interpretation of the rules, the game rewards players who use Rocky Helmets, or Destiny Bond to mutually ensure their opponent's defeat in such a situation. Technically speaking, you were the first to fall and your opponent loses only as a result of an attack, but the game does not recognize draws. This was only a casual match but imagine the problems this might cause in an official match- never overlook the power of Selfdestructing, Rocky Helmets, and Destiny Bond because that can turn a defeat into a very arbitrary decision bound to make someone upset.

I'd be more than willing to admit that I had lost because my Pokemon fell first but the game actually recognizes the second Pokemon to fall as the loser. Weird!

Stratelier

IIRC, if your last Pokemon uses Explosion or Selfdestruct it officially counts as your loss (at least back in Yellow, Stadium, etc.) . I can understand Destiny Bond (that is the whole point of the move, if you get a KO your opponent goes down too), not quite the Rocky Helmet / Rough Skin though.

SirRob

Yeah all those things have determined outcomes.
The official tournament rules actually has a ridiculously long string of outcomes for what happens when the time runs out--

Pokemon said:
1. Remaining Pokémon
a. If one player has more remaining Pokémon than the other, that player wins the game.
b. If both players have the same number of Pokémon remaining, the result of the game is
determined by average percentage of HP remaining, as described below.

2. Average Percentage of HP Remaining
a. If one player’s team has a higher average percentage of HP remaining, that player wins
the game.
b. If both players’ teams have the same average HP remaining, the result of the game is
determined by amount of HP remaining, as described below.

3. Amount of Total HP Remaining
a. If one player’s team has a higher total HP remaining, that player wins the game.
b. If both players’ teams have the same total HP remaining, the result of the game is a tie.

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
IIRC, if your last Pokemon uses Explosion or Selfdestruct it officially counts as your loss (at least back in Yellow, Stadium, etc.) . I can understand Destiny Bond (that is the whole point of the move, if you get a KO your opponent goes down too), not quite the Rocky Helmet / Rough Skin though.

Yes, but it's the machine, not an actual human that determines the winner. If you attack and your opponent goes down first, you should get the victory, even if your Pokemon falls as a result- only exception is if you use Self-Destruct in a Multi Battle and you take out all three Pokemon. The Pokemon games should keep draws.

Truth be told, I thought that getting a draw would be the ultimate sign of immersion in Pokemon's competitive universe. Of course, after taking down both Legendaries and a Mega Mewtwo, maybe the game ruled based on sympathy for what I had to go through. Another way they could determine a stalemate is look at the kind of Pokemon both players used and reward the one who conquered the most adversity.

Last edited:

SirRob

Move over Mega Mawile, there's a new fairy to torment me! [noparse]:([/noparse]
I don't know how to deal with Togekiss. I know Rotom-W pretty much counters it, but my sense of style won't let me use him.

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
Just lost three in a row to my roommate. Starting to think that a Flying team is too frail to be any good. :T

or i just suck lol

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
Just lost three in a row to my roommate. Starting to think that a Flying team is too frail to be any good. :T

or i just suck lol
I sorta feel the same about my ice-type team. Fun to use, but I can't win against somebody who's trying hard to win.

SirRob

Stick a Togekiss on it and watch as it murders everything.

Flying's got some great Pokemon-- Like Talonflame, Dragonite, Gyarados... You've even got Defog access to take care of Stealth Rock.

Ice types... I'm sorry, Dingo. It's a lost cause.

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others

Flying's got some great Pokemon-- Like Talonflame, Dragonite, Gyarados... You've even got Defog access to take care of Stealth Rock.

I've actually faced one or two Togekiss. Since it's a fairy-type now, I can get a super effective Iron Head on it when I use my Aegislash. No problem :3

Icky

is the prettiest pony~

Yeah, it's got awesome pokemon, but it seems like either the general stats are way too low to constantly rely on, the weaknesses (Rock, Electric, Ice) are way too common, or I don't know how to build an effective team. :U

I've got a Togekiss, though, and ...he just kinda flops on everything and dies. Maybe he'll get a Wish off or annoy people with Encore, but nothing major. (My Gliscor is my favorite, though. <3)

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
Archeops, Archeops... why am I thinking of using Archeops?

Defeatist is terrible, but those stats, that movepool.. guh!

Imagine switching it in with a Substitute applied.

SirRob

Yeah, it's got awesome pokemon, but it seems like either the general stats are way too low to constantly rely on, the weaknesses (Rock, Electric, Ice) are way too common, or I don't know how to build an effective team. :U

I've got a Togekiss, though, and ...he just kinda flops on everything and dies. Maybe he'll get a Wish off or annoy people with Encore, but nothing major. (My Gliscor is my favorite, though. <3)
You're not using Togekiss effectively then-- The reason it's so good is because it can take advantage of Paraflinch. It can Thunder Wave the opponent for a 25% chance of being paralyzed and use Air Slash for a 60% chance of flinching. If you're finding Togekiss getting KO'd a lot, you should switch Wish for Roost, since it's instant healing. It can also boost its special attack with Nasty Plot or use Dazzling Gleam to check dragons.

Stratelier

...Air Slash for a 60% chance of flinching.
Don't forget Serene Grace, which is what makes it so flinching awesome.

Now do the math: If you did Paralyze + Confuse + Serene Grace Air Slash, that's up to an 85% chance that your opponent will lose their current turn.

you should switch Wish for Roost, since it's instant healing
And don't forget that if you're faster, Roost removes the pesky vulnerability to whatever Electric/Rock/Ice move your opponent is going to throw at you.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
The Battle Institute. Seems like an interesting place to polish your skills in battle, however, I do wonder whether or not you at least get a few points for beating some of your opponent's individual Pokemon, even if you don't win the match. I came so close to beating all five Pokemon Trainers, losing to the fourth trainer at the very end. I don't know the algorithm for calculating BI Points but I'm certain they would give out partial credit.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
I don't get Flinch spammers. What fun is there in that? It's up there with FUNBro users, only the former is honestly more unsporting if you ask me. Or perhaps a better example is someone who abuses Sleep non-stop.

I'm starting to feel like an Evasion team might be due justice for the amount of cookie cutter Togekiss I've run into.

Edit: I just had someone ragequit when my Crobat out-played their Garchomp. I could laugh to tears here.

Last edited:

Stratelier

I don't get Flinch spammers. What fun is there in that?
Depends on the probabilities involved. Flinching an opponent 1-in-3 times is fun. 2-in-3 . . . is so predictable it's boring.

Reminds me of in FFX I customized a weapon to have Stone/Death/Poison Touch (instead of the corresponding Strike abilities). It was the Cactaur Doll, I believe. Because it really was much more entertaining to see that thing hit an opponent not knowing for sure what would happen to it, as opposed to knowing for sure that (barring monster immunities) something will happen.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
The Battle Institute. Seems like an interesting place to polish your skills in battle, however, I do wonder whether or not you at least get a few points for beating some of your opponent's individual Pokemon, even if you don't win the match. I came so close to beating all five Pokemon Trainers, losing to the fourth trainer at the very end. I don't know the algorithm for calculating BI Points but I'm certain they would give out partial credit.

If it's anything like previous ranking thingimajiggies, you start out with the maximum number of points and lose points based on criteria; "opponent's remaining health", "health you lost", "status conditions inflicted", "status conditions suffered", "# of faints", etc etc.

Last edited:

Rilvor

Formal when angry
I mean I guess if that's how people want to play, it wouldn't be terribly unfair to make a tankmon repeatedly using Sheer Cold/Guillotine/Fissure/Horn Drill until Flinch fails and a OHKO lands. But then we've moved beyond what constitutes a fun game in my eyes.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
I mean I guess if that's how people want to play, it wouldn't be terribly unfair to make a tankmon repeatedly using Sheer Cold/Guillotine/Fissure/Horn Drill until Flinch fails and a OHKO lands. But then we've moved beyond what constitutes a fun game in my eyes.

Aye, then it becomes a lot like rolling a d20. ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

Rilvor

Formal when angry
Aye, then it becomes a lot like rolling a d20. ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

Not quite. There's ways to affect the dice in-game, but not with those moves in Pokemon barring No-Guard. But I see your point.

Note to Self: No-Guard Golurk and Sheer Cold Lapras double-battle team. (kidding, of course)

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
My favorite move is Roar. I like to think that the Pokemon is actually channeling the Katy Perry song "Roar" and the opponent is running away from the horrible rendition of an awful song.

Arcanine threatened to use "Roar".

Lucario: I'll pay you any amount of money if you don't sing that Katy Perry song.

Arcanine used "Roar"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CevxZvSJLk8

Lucario: That's it, I'm outta hear.