• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Pokemon Thread

Arcane Reno

Depending on your team structure, either Jolteon, Vaporeon or Sylveon. Don't worry about leaving early Darryl, I've done that a lot too.

What's your strategy for team building? Your Fire team was strong, but it looks like the teams you used today had less success.

Unless there's a theme, such as weather based, it's just a matter of filling in particular roles. At least one special bruiser and physical bruiser, a booster, a tank, a scout, and something else that could be a lot of things, like a mega or a para-flinch kiss. Also, hitting stone edge when I meant to hit Earthquake on your T-tar. :c

SirRob

Yeah I was wondering about that Stone Edge, hahaha...

That's not a bad way to go about team building. I think if you use that as a base and then tweak it for common threats (like Aegislash), you'll get really good. I actually started my team with Zoroark (my favorite! [noparse]:)[/noparse] ), and built the rest of my team complimenting it and bringing in answers for some of the most common stuff I found online.

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
So, in my recent endeavours to defeat SirRob (who is apparently becoming my pokemon nemesis) in clean and just battle upon the fields of Kalos, I have come to discover something. He is the final boss for the Battle Maison. The guy who would appear once you defeat 100 straight opponents and finally think you have achieved the highest honour of all pokemon leagues. He will appear, and show you how wrong you are. Your face will never be the same. :c

You know, what's really funny is that given how bad I am at the game, there are people who actually have sought me out as a Trainer and I've become their nemesis. Of course, I would refer them to someone stronger.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
The PokeBank was added to the eShop today but won't be available to download until next Friday.

You know you can catch Gible on Route 13, right? Or are you looking for Rough Skin?
I was just breeding for shinies, not abilities. But now I'm stuck with 20+ Gibles and I'm really not sure what to do with them other than trade.

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
The PokeBank was added to the eShop today but won't be available to download until next Friday.

I was just breeding for shinies, not abilities. But now I'm stuck with 20+ Gibles and I'm really not sure what to do with them other than trade.

Garchomp is on the top of my wish list. I'd trade but I really have nothing to trade of value to trade for.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
I really don't get how people will play pokemon competitively, with its numerous variable and luck factors, but if you change the game to Smash Bros or Team Fortress 2 that community cries for blood at the thought of these things. I suppose this is why I don't take any of the three seriously.

Hewge

Banana Party
Banned
I really don't get how people will play pokemon competitively, with its numerous variable and luck factors, but if you change the game to Smash Bros or Team Fortress 2 that community cries for blood at the thought of these things. I suppose this is why I don't take any of the three seriously.

I think it's the process of creating your own team, developing them to where you want, and how the battles can be very strategic.
Then the whole luck thing, well, same reason card games like Hearthstone/mtg are so popular I guess... or gambling. People love to gamble.

Stratelier

You want to see luck? Paralyze, confuse, and/or attract the opponent and then start spamming Double Team.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake

In competitive games almost everyone seems to use the Smogon rules. Those include a couple of clauses that really aim to make the game skill based and not luck based.
Most importantly, the evasion clause, the sleep clause, the OHKO clause and the Moody clause. The evasion clause doesn't allow Pokemon with minimize or double team, the sleep clause doesn't let you put more than 2 of your opponent's Pokermans to sleep, the OHKO clause bans all moves that knock an enemy Pokemon out in one hit instead of actually dealing damage and the Moody clause bans all Pokemon with the ability Moody which raises 2 stats and lowers 1 stat at the end of each turn.
I think with these rules the game is actually quite balanced, but with this huge amount of available Pokemon, moves and abilities it is still quite easy to abuse some things. Like using Sandstorm with a sand veil Garchomp... But that's what tiers are there for.

SirRob

Luck-based strategies are unreliable, so really the competitive scene without Smogon evens itself out, anyway.
Will you see those sorts of players and lose to them? Certainly. But they'll never have extremely high ratings.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
I am still figuring out what to balance my team with atm. I am using Pangoro, Ageislash, Tyrannitar, Delphox, Noivern, and Electivire. I am still fiddling and testing the waters with them. I recently acquired a Blobdragon, Umbreon, and a Charizard from the GTS, and leveling a garchomp. I am having a helluva time trying to find the megastone for my Sand Shark.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
Garchomp is on the top of my wish list. I'd trade but I really have nothing to trade of value to trade for.
This is why I normally keep fodder Pokemon to trade with when someone's just giving me a Pokemon but they don't want anything specific in return.

Although if you use Wonder Trade enough you'll eventually get a Gible because people are always trading them. And then raise it

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Although if you use Wonder Trade enough you'll eventually get a Gible because people are always trading them. And then raise it

Gibble was one of the first Mons I got through wonder trade^^

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
I got a 6" Chespin and Pikachu plush for Secret Santa at school. . .
c:

Distorted

I don't particularly care for smogon's tier system, but I do find myself using their rules quite often like the sleep and evasion clause. It's mostly out of habit. It gets me in trouble though because most of my friends like to use banned pokemon and hacks. I have to deal with spore Breloom putting half my team to sleep and Multiscale Dragonite everytime I battle one friend. Not that their unbeatable, but just ridiculously annoying.

I think I'd be a bit better if I built my roster as a team rather than 6 individual pokemon. I never really think about the synergy of my pokemon, and just rely on knowledge to get by. Besides, once the Pokemon Bank comes out, I feel like they'll be a lot more to worry about with more Pokemon coming into circulation.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
So I don't normally look into IV's because my main interest is collecting but I'm breeding Murkrows and I think several of them are perfect or near perfect. But I can't find any good ways to check this so the only information I have to go on is that perfect IV stats add up to 31.

The main one I'm looking at has sixes in four stats and a seven in one.

Gibble was one of the first Mons I got through wonder trade^^
Mine was a Zangoose. Which is laaame.

SirRob

The problem I have with Smogon is that its ruleset is for 6 v 6 singles. This format isn't used for rating battles, nor is it used in official tournaments. So if you're looking to get into competitive battling, the information you'll find there is a bit skewed. Like, Stealth Rock isn't that good in either of those formats.
The evasion clause exists to minimize luck, but really, good players won't be relying on that sort of luck, anyway. Potentially wasting a turn is dangerous.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
The main one I'm looking at has sixes in four stats and a seven in one.

IV things add a "boost per level" to a Pokemon's stats, so unfortunately, you won't see much effect until around level 20...

About the only way to check a Pokemon's IVs accurately is to go to the Kiloude City Pokemon Centre and ask one of the persons inside to "judge the intruiging potential" of the Pokemon. If a stat is perfect, he'll remark that it "can't be beat".

SirRob

A new rating battle season just started. Back to 0 wins! D:

Also people need to stop using Swagger with Klefki. ESPECIALLY AGAINST MY GARCHOMP. Why why WHY would you want it to have a +2 Earthquake. Thanks for the free win, player #1.

Last edited:

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
IV things add a "boost per level" to a Pokemon's stats, so unfortunately, you won't see much effect until around level 20...

About the only way to check a Pokemon's IVs accurately is to go to the Kiloude City Pokemon Centre and ask one of the persons inside to "judge the intruiging potential" of the Pokemon. If a stat is perfect, he'll remark that it "can't be beat".
That works. A lot of places didn't have that listed but now I'm going through and checking a lot of these.

The one I mentioned had at least one though.