• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Pokemon Thread

Rilvor

Formal when angry
I don't particularly care for smogon's tier system, but I do find myself using their rules quite often like the sleep and evasion clause. It's mostly out of habit. It gets me in trouble though because most of my friends like to use banned pokemon and hacks. I have to deal with spore Breloom putting half my team to sleep and Multiscale Dragonite everytime I battle one friend. Not that their unbeatable, but just ridiculously annoying.

I think I'd be a bit better if I built my roster as a team rather than 6 individual pokemon. I never really think about the synergy of my pokemon, and just rely on knowledge to get by. Besides, once the Pokemon Bank comes out, I feel like they'll be a lot more to worry about with more Pokemon coming into circulation.

I don't follow Smogon rules myself either, but that's more because I battle for fun rather than anything else. I don't mind if someone wants to play with Double Team, or use Sleep Powder multiple times, or whatever have you. Granted, some are more unsporting than others. Bright Powder isn't a big deal, but I can see how Double Team or Moody can be.

But then I only fight people over the Passerby system, since I find it bothersome to only use 3, not see nicknames, and not be able to Nice! someone afterwards to at least try and say "good game".

Although I should probably pay more attention to the challenges I get, I tend to not notice the "No Restrictions" bit and find myself fighting level 100 mons. But hey, it's all in good sport.

Arcane Reno

Luck-based strategies are unreliable, so really the competitive scene without Smogon evens itself out, anyway.
Will you see those sorts of players and lose to them? Certainly. But they'll never have extremely high ratings.

They are unreliable, and yet, I'm beginning to think I either have the most cursed luck possible in this game, or the players I encounter are all originally from the battle maison. No joke: my last 10 or so rating battles have all been lost to something such as confusion killing me off for three turns in a row, a 10% burn chance hitting at the same time as a crit, etc. etc. A perfect example, not in ratings, but in a normal challenge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDmRk0Zlv4k&feature=youtu.be

I mean no disrespect here, honestly, but it's supremely frustrating to have this sort of thing happen not only multiple times, but repeatedly, when you've invested hours of time breeding, training, etc. only to have the RNG throw your effort away.

Last edited:

SirRob

I know what you mean, and I've felt cheated a lot in battles. You have to understand though, that you can use strategies to fight the odds. Like, in that video, you could've used Roar (never misses) or Taunt to prevent Clefable from setting up. Toxic was also changed so that Poison type Pokemon will never miss with it. That'd work great, too.

Arcane Reno

I know what you mean, and I've felt cheated a lot in battles. You have to understand though, that you can use strategies to fight the odds. Like, in that video, you could've used Roar (never misses) or Taunt to prevent Clefable from setting up. Toxic was also changed so that Poison type Pokemon will never miss with it. That'd work great, too.

Oh, f'sure. My talonflame even has taunt. But, thanks to the circle throw etc, the damage was already done. Switching back and taking a hit from who knows what seemed like a less viable choice than taking it down with leafeon, which /should/ have been able to do so no problem. Until Leaf Blade missed. Twice. :c

I enjoy this game quite a lot. I'm a very competitive person by nature, and the multitude of strategies and combinations in the pokemon metagame is fantastic. It's impossible to plan for every scenario, and losing against a superior opponent isn't really much of a loss. It's only when the RNG continually shafts you that even normally calm gamers feel like breaking furniture. XD

Side note: Ran into a Japanese player using Cosmic Power/Stored Power sigilyph in the Battle Spot, which made me grin. I didn't have anything to counter that, and lost to him as a result: it was a good match.

SirRob

Today I learned Roar has higher priority than Trick Room. Huhuhahaha, you Slowbros aren't gonna be messin' around no more!! [noparse]:mad: :mad:[/noparse]

SirRob

It seems like it'd be a good check for Blaziken, given double resistances and Trick Room. But why are they using it against me?! [noparse]:( :( :([/noparse]

On a side note, I've been dealing with Mawile and Togekiss a whole lot better. But now Venusaur's giving my team serious problems. It's always one thing! I considered changing up my Zoroark, but... I know we'll be seeing a lot of Lati@s soon, and Zoroark's basically built to combat them.

Jags

Shepherd of Fire
I'm actually serious considering going all in and making a competitive team, but I want to wait til bank is out so I have more options. Not long to go at all!

Rilvor

Formal when angry
I think it's a bit much for something so inconsequential, but I suppose it's at least hilarious that battle got posted on Youtube.

Arcane Reno

It seems like it'd be a good check for Blaziken, given double resistances and Trick Room. But why are they using it against me?! [noparse]:( :( :([/noparse]

On a side note, I've been dealing with Mawile and Togekiss a whole lot better. But now Venusaur's giving my team serious problems. It's always one thing! I considered changing up my Zoroark, but... I know we'll be seeing a lot of Lati@s soon, and Zoroark's basically built to combat them.

I should really try out my trick room combo in the Battle spot. It's not nearly as viable on a 6 'mon team, but in 3v3, it can work pretty well.

Also, why does everyone and their dog use a Tyranitard lead? :c Yes, he's a big scary dinosaur, and sand stream is OP, I get it, but, there's so many other good leads.

SirRob

I haven't really seen Tyranitar used against me. I think it's because 5 out of 6 Pokemon I use are super effective against it...

Tyranitar is an awesome counter for Talonflame, so that's probably why it sees a lot of use. A lot of people who use Talonflame lead with it since they can scout with U-Turn.

TopazThunder

Noir Fetishist
I think it's a bit much for something so inconsequential, but I suppose it's at least hilarious that battle got posted on Youtube.

You kidding? I'm famous now because of that video.

Ahem, anyway. I figure I'd post my friend code and such for anyone interested, although this is more to benefit those that might be interested in accessing my Friend Safari, which has Pancham, Mankey and Breloom. I'm not terribly competitive so don't expect me to do a lot of online battles, but I'll give out O-Powers like candy if you want 'em.

Name: Scrub Jay
Code: 4699-6537-1398

Stratelier

I need to make a team of Yveltal, Metagross, Clawitzer and Audino.

I'd explain why, but then you'd never be able to get that song out of your head.

yell0w_f0x

~Foxy loves oreo~
with pokebank out in japan, i was wondering. can anyone trade me some pokemon? im looking for charmander with thunderpunch, dratini with extremespeed, larvesta with gigadrain, torkoal with stealth rock, and the fire starters cyndaquil, chimchar and tepig? i can trade for some pokemon.. i have some 5iv dratini and can breed 5iv vulpix and charmander.. much thanks..

yell0w_f0x

~Foxy loves oreo~
just got a hold of cyndaquil and chimchar. currently breeding em. anyone want one?

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
I want Shinies but I don't know of a less time-consuming way than chaining together 40 Pokemon for a 1 in 200 chance at one of those Shiny Pokemon. Is there an easier way to get them?

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
I have come up with the best name for a Grass pokemon ever- Kabloom!
.. Damn, who reckons I should change my Breloom's name from 1UP to Kabloom before I transfer it over?

Stratelier

I want Shinies but I don't know of a less time-consuming way than chaining together 40 Pokemon for a 1 in 200 chance at one of those Shiny Pokemon. Is there an easier way to get them?

Not really. It's easier to breed a perfect (6IV) Pokemon from two 5IV parents than get a Shiny.

Jags

Shepherd of Fire
I'm actually relatively unbothered about getting shinies. I mean, if I find one, I'll catch it, but it seems like a lot of effort for what is essentially a recolour. Kinda cool, but not THAT cool.